Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supporters Clubs 22:49 - Jan 7 with 3875 viewsDiddyDave

One for the Oldies here. Can anybody remember being in the Dale Supporters Club around the time of Fred Ratcliffe? Are those Clubs still going,if not,when did they die out.
I recall being in the Junior Supporters Club in the late fifties,early sixties,think I was in Jackie Grant`s group and we used to meet once a week somewhere. Those days would`ve had players like Norman Bodell,Bev Glover,Jimmy Jones,Eddie Moran,Dai Powell,Ronny Barnes,Jimmy Brown,Joe Devlin,to name a few. Any memories there?
Supporters Clubs on 02:39 - Jan 8 with 3809 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

I'm too young for that but have a number of the Supporters Club Yearbooks from the late 50s to mid-60s. Some cracking snippets in there.
Supporters Clubs on 05:10 - Jan 8 with 3795 viewsTalkingSutty

I think a lot of Clubs do still have Supporters Clubs. I had a mate who supported City and they had a thriving Junior Blues section at Maine Road, they used to meet Sunday Mornings if I remember rightly.

I was a member of our Supporters Club in the mid to late 1970s and remember being star struck when Alan Tarbuck autographed my programme. I can't remember if we had a junior section then, there weren't enough of us to start putting us into different groups.

A few fans used to man the Matchday shop and sell programmes and metal badges, scarves etc. We used to help with work around the ground pre-season (painting) and sometimes carry the bed sheet around the pitch whilst being pelted with coins. The guys and girls who manned the refreshment kiosks in the ground also did it voluntary ( Fighting Fund I think). It wasn't as technical as the Dale Trust with computers and emails etc in those days. Supporters Clubs/Trusts are still a valuable asset to any lower league Football Club and I would imagine they still thrive further down the leagues.

Obviously we then had the Saturday night discos at the Club,in the vicinity of what is now the Dale Bar, I think those where organised by the Supporters Club. Invariably there was always a drunken fight at some stage of the evening, normally involving somebody off Greave estate.I remember taking my first girlfriend on a date to one of those nights and dancing to Chanson D' Amour, I didn't see her again after that, in fact she ended up marrying Geoff Thomas the footballer ( long story).

Older fans than me will be able to throw a bit more light on what happened in the earlier years but those are my memories from the mid 70s to mid 80s.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 6:45]
Supporters Clubs on 06:42 - Jan 8 with 3768 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

So either she didn't like you or Manhattan Transfer...which was it..? :-P
Supporters Clubs on 06:48 - Jan 8 with 3763 viewsTalkingSutty

Supporters Clubs on 06:42 - Jan 8 by Albert_Whitehurst

So either she didn't like you or Manhattan Transfer...which was it..? :-P

She was a stunner to be honest, God knows how i ended up with her. I was a skinny ginger teenager so i reckon she didn't like me, which was fair enough.
Supporters Clubs on 08:54 - Jan 8 with 3669 views100569

I too was a member of the Junior Supporters Club and like you I cant remember where we met. I do remember that we used to go in that large wooden building outside of the main stand on what is now the car park but I cant remember for what purpose or whether that was the meeting place . I still have my Junior Supporters Club badge somewhere. Black and white tin badge, all black with a central white strip. Happy Days !
Supporters Clubs on 11:40 - Jan 8 with 3551 viewsSuddenLad

Supporters Clubs on 08:54 - Jan 8 by 100569

I too was a member of the Junior Supporters Club and like you I cant remember where we met. I do remember that we used to go in that large wooden building outside of the main stand on what is now the car park but I cant remember for what purpose or whether that was the meeting place . I still have my Junior Supporters Club badge somewhere. Black and white tin badge, all black with a central white strip. Happy Days !

The big wooden hut/shed was where we used to meet. It was also open on matchdays. As you say it was on the car park. It was always damp and cold and not a particularly nice place. There were a few odds and sods on sale in there, (including tin badges !!). I also remember them selling plastic hats (a bit like shower caps) and scarves.

There was also a supporters club shop on St.Mary's Gate which used to sell programmes and stuff and was staffed by volunteers. That shop is near the disused Indian restaurant by St. Mary's church. I remember quite a few of the volunteers , sadly now behind the Pearly Gates, rather than the Pearl Street goals.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Supporters Clubs on 12:13 - Jan 8 with 3513 viewsseasidedale

I remember being a founder member of the supporters club in 1975, we all met in the home dressing room for our first meeting, the chairman was Stephen Birch (dont know what happened to him, went working in the ministry I think)'
, Pete Woodhouse was also a founder as was Eric Rogers who I si with in the TDS stand. We did lots of matchday jobs to save the club money. I remember painting the stand at Pearl street on my own, purple as Ted Lord who was a director gave us unwanted paint!
As far as I recall there was no junior section, I served on the supporters club commitee for 3 years, I think this faded away and eventually was replaced by the Trust.we alway used to get away tickets that the players didnt use and gave them to the travelling fans in an alphabetical order so you always got a few tickets a season
Supporters Clubs on 12:49 - Jan 8 with 3467 viewsfitzochris

Anyone know who ran the supporters' club in the 90s?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Supporters Clubs on 13:25 - Jan 8 with 3427 views100notout

Supporters Clubs on 12:49 - Jan 8 by fitzochris

Nigel MacDonald?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Supporters Clubs on 13:47 - Jan 8 with 3394 views442Dale

Supporters Clubs on 05:10 - Jan 8 by TalkingSutty

I think a lot of Clubs do still have Supporters Clubs. I had a mate who supported City and they had a thriving Junior Blues section at Maine Road, they used to meet Sunday Mornings if I remember rightly.

I was a member of our Supporters Club in the mid to late 1970s and remember being star struck when Alan Tarbuck autographed my programme. I can't remember if we had a junior section then, there weren't enough of us to start putting us into different groups.

A few fans used to man the Matchday shop and sell programmes and metal badges, scarves etc. We used to help with work around the ground pre-season (painting) and sometimes carry the bed sheet around the pitch whilst being pelted with coins. The guys and girls who manned the refreshment kiosks in the ground also did it voluntary ( Fighting Fund I think). It wasn't as technical as the Dale Trust with computers and emails etc in those days. Supporters Clubs/Trusts are still a valuable asset to any lower league Football Club and I would imagine they still thrive further down the leagues.

Obviously we then had the Saturday night discos at the Club,in the vicinity of what is now the Dale Bar, I think those where organised by the Supporters Club. Invariably there was always a drunken fight at some stage of the evening, normally involving somebody off Greave estate.I remember taking my first girlfriend on a date to one of those nights and dancing to Chanson D' Amour, I didn't see her again after that, in fact she ended up marrying Geoff Thomas the footballer ( long story).

Older fans than me will be able to throw a bit more light on what happened in the earlier years but those are my memories from the mid 70s to mid 80s.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 6:45]

I think 'Tales from TS' should be regular feature every Friday.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Supporters Clubs on 13:56 - Jan 8 with 3374 viewsDickydaler

Supporters Clubs on 12:49 - Jan 8 by fitzochris

Frank Duffy was certainly involved around that time as well.
Supporters Clubs on 14:27 - Jan 8 with 3340 viewsTalkingSutty

Supporters Clubs on 13:47 - Jan 8 by 442Dale

I think 'Tales from TS' should be regular feature every Friday.

40 seasons next year and haven't regretted a single moment of it. Supporting your home town club gives you memories for life. To be honest it's a miracle the Club are still punching away in the Football League, that's been an achievement in itself.

I think i spout enough clap trap without trying to encourage a regular Friday feature, my run of the mill posts get me in enough hot water as it is

A lot of it's my own fault, I've always had a tendency to rub people up the wrong way for no particular reason. That's why I'm Billy No Mates
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 14:32]
Supporters Clubs on 14:52 - Jan 8 with 3304 viewsSuddenLad

Supporters Clubs on 12:13 - Jan 8 by seasidedale

I remember being a founder member of the supporters club in 1975, we all met in the home dressing room for our first meeting, the chairman was Stephen Birch (dont know what happened to him, went working in the ministry I think)'
, Pete Woodhouse was also a founder as was Eric Rogers who I si with in the TDS stand. We did lots of matchday jobs to save the club money. I remember painting the stand at Pearl street on my own, purple as Ted Lord who was a director gave us unwanted paint!
As far as I recall there was no junior section, I served on the supporters club commitee for 3 years, I think this faded away and eventually was replaced by the Trust.we alway used to get away tickets that the players didnt use and gave them to the travelling fans in an alphabetical order so you always got a few tickets a season

We're talking about the days well before 1975. SSD. There have been many people involved with the supporters club, before and since.

Brian Clough was a a stalwart supporters club member along with many others during the 1980's. Many will remember him and also at various times Colin Smith-Markl, Trevor Lorimer, George Kokocki, Nigel Macdonald, David Broome, to name but a few.

Plenty of others are known to (and are) members of this board and need no mention.

Supporters Clubs on 15:00 - Jan 8 with 3287 viewsTalkingSutty

Supporters Clubs on 14:52 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

We're talking about the days well before 1975. SSD. There have been many people involved with the supporters club, before and since.

Brian Clough was a a stalwart supporters club member along with many others during the 1980's. Many will remember him and also at various times Colin Smith-Markl, Trevor Lorimer, George Kokocki, Nigel Macdonald, David Broome, to name but a few.

Plenty of others are known to (and are) members of this board and need no mention.

What are your particular memories from the late 50, early 60s? Did they run supporters coaches to all away games in those days and did they have social events up at the Club?Cheers.

The OP mentioned Supporters Clubs in Fred Ratcliffes days which would still encompass the late 1970/80s. Not sure when Mr Ratcliffes time as Chairman finished (year) but I think it was early 1980s. Maybe he was the Club President by that time, i can't remember.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 15:16]
Supporters Clubs on 15:07 - Jan 8 with 3270 viewsseasidedale

yeah those are just my memories of the old supporters club as I was quite involved
didnt have anyrhing to do with clubs since onlty because I moved away, but still great memories of that and other aspects mentioned like the fighting fund, with some great characters
Supporters Clubs on 16:12 - Jan 8 with 3206 viewsSuddenLad

Supporters Clubs on 15:00 - Jan 8 by TalkingSutty

What are your particular memories from the late 50, early 60s? Did they run supporters coaches to all away games in those days and did they have social events up at the Club?Cheers.

The OP mentioned Supporters Clubs in Fred Ratcliffes days which would still encompass the late 1970/80s. Not sure when Mr Ratcliffes time as Chairman finished (year) but I think it was early 1980s. Maybe he was the Club President by that time, i can't remember.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 15:16]

To be honest, during the early 1960's I was taken to away games in private transport as I was only a young lad. A bit later on, from mid/late 1960's there were lots of options. Both Yelloway and Ellen Smith ran coaches to away matches, so we could get to the games using them.

I don't recall specific arrangements for supporters club transport, until the local coach companies decided that it was no longer viable to provide their coaches.

As for the 'Fighting Fund'..............Cyril Smith had a large hand in running that and was for a time, secretary and treasurer. Anyone from that era will be aware of the outcome of that little fiasco !!

Fred Ratcliffe was always on the scene offering words of support and encouragement. That's about as far as it went for him.

Supporters Clubs on 16:40 - Jan 8 with 3173 viewsTalkingSutty

Supporters Clubs on 16:12 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

To be honest, during the early 1960's I was taken to away games in private transport as I was only a young lad. A bit later on, from mid/late 1960's there were lots of options. Both Yelloway and Ellen Smith ran coaches to away matches, so we could get to the games using them.

I don't recall specific arrangements for supporters club transport, until the local coach companies decided that it was no longer viable to provide their coaches.

As for the 'Fighting Fund'..............Cyril Smith had a large hand in running that and was for a time, secretary and treasurer. Anyone from that era will be aware of the outcome of that little fiasco !!

Fred Ratcliffe was always on the scene offering words of support and encouragement. That's about as far as it went for him.

Cheers SL. I remember catching the Ellen Smiths coaches from Newgate, obviously the Bywaters Coaches. Even travelled to an away game in the back of a hired Furniture Removal Van, picked up outside the Robin Hood for a night match at Wrexham.

That was a mad night and not one organised by the Supporters Club. It was an era when just getting home from the game in one piece was an achievement and football hooliganism was rife.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 16:45]
Supporters Clubs on 17:15 - Jan 8 with 3133 viewsSuddenLad

Supporters Clubs on 16:40 - Jan 8 by TalkingSutty

Cheers SL. I remember catching the Ellen Smiths coaches from Newgate, obviously the Bywaters Coaches. Even travelled to an away game in the back of a hired Furniture Removal Van, picked up outside the Robin Hood for a night match at Wrexham.

That was a mad night and not one organised by the Supporters Club. It was an era when just getting home from the game in one piece was an achievement and football hooliganism was rife.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2016 16:45]

Someone may well correct me, but I think that Bywaters' was the first company that was used by the supporters club, but by that time, several of us had our own cars and preferred to travel independently, sometimes staying over, but we did use the supporters club transport quite often.

Aldershot away springs to mind, when the coach broke down and certain travellers declined to leave the coach until the replacement arrived. As were were directly outside the social club, others decided we should avail ourselves of the fare on offer !! I'll say no more, but many will remember that trip. !!

In the 1980's there was so little interest in organised away travel, that we travelled to many away games on the team coach (with Vic Haloms' consent). I remember away trips to night matches at Colchester and Southend in particular, for good reasons, but not because of the football. Happy days..........

Just as an aside, Norman Bodell's mother-in-law was my next door neighbour for many years. Lovely woman who spoke very highly of him.

Supporters Clubs on 03:28 - Jan 9 with 2934 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Supporters Clubs on 16:12 - Jan 8 by SuddenLad

Quite relevant to a conversation yesterday.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2016 3:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024