Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Collins 16:12 - Mar 21 with 4657 viewsfermin

Just noticed that our League Cup final manager, Tony Collins, was 90 on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/footballmantc

A bit before my time but I did meet him briefly at the centenary celebrations in the Town Hall.
Tony Collins on 20:56 - Mar 21 with 4439 viewsD_Dale

One of Dale's better managers who served for several seasons. And not a bad player, quite tall for a winger, his usual position in those days.
Tony Collins on 04:50 - Mar 22 with 4301 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Tony Collins used to scout for Dale also didn't he?

Wonder what his connection is with Gordon McQueen? I met him at a Dale game a few years back as he himself does a bit of scouting. Lovely fella, happy to chat.

Happy belated birthday to Tony!
Tony Collins on 09:22 - Mar 22 with 4216 viewsD_Alien

Tony Collins on 04:50 - Mar 22 by Albert_Whitehurst

Tony Collins used to scout for Dale also didn't he?

Wonder what his connection is with Gordon McQueen? I met him at a Dale game a few years back as he himself does a bit of scouting. Lovely fella, happy to chat.

Happy belated birthday to Tony!

After his time at Dale as a player then manager he scouted for Man U, hence the McQueen connection

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tony Collins on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 4186 viewsSuddenLad

Tony Collins on 09:22 - Mar 22 by D_Alien

After his time at Dale as a player then manager he scouted for Man U, hence the McQueen connection

Yes he did and he also had conections with Leeds United in some capacity. I think Tony Collins' son was on Leeds United books for a time when he was in his youth.

Tony Collins is a absolute gentleman and did a great job in his time at Spotland.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Tony Collins on 18:02 - Mar 22 with 4036 viewskirbys

Its wonderful to see these recollections of a great player and manager.
Can anyone recollect the goal he scored from a corner kick - I fancy it was against Crystal Palace but someone will correct me if I am wrong.
At that match me and my mate stood at the barrier at the corner flag. As Tony placed the ball for the kick, I yelled to him "make it a good one Tony". He obliged by scoring adding "was that good enough son"?
Moments to savour thanks to players like him.
Happy birthday Tony.
Tony Collins on 20:45 - Mar 22 with 3970 viewsmingthemerciless

He worked wonders on a real shoe string in the 1960's. Signing some players that are still talked about at the club. Big Reg being the outstanding one.
Tony Collins on 07:45 - Mar 23 with 3892 viewsMeanwood

Tony Collins on 09:57 - Mar 22 by SuddenLad

Yes he did and he also had conections with Leeds United in some capacity. I think Tony Collins' son was on Leeds United books for a time when he was in his youth.

Tony Collins is a absolute gentleman and did a great job in his time at Spotland.

Son called Andy, worked in a bank in town and was a DJ on the side. Good player but not sure about on Leeds books, although possible. Lovely family, Tony is a proper Gent.
Tony Collins on 09:16 - Mar 23 with 3845 viewsrobbowood

Wasn't he also the first black manager in the English Football League and also Crystal Palace's first black player?

I never saw him but what he did for the club surely makes him one of our finest managers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024