Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vernon Thomas 04:49 - Apr 17 with 3115 viewsDiddyDave

Don`t suppose there`ll be many Dale fans who can remember my father,Vernon Thomas,but he passed away in Hamilton New Zealand today,Sunday 17th,April,aged 94. Dad was a postman in Littleborough from the late fifties through to the early seventies,then read meters for the Electric Board,before him and mum shifted up to County Durham in 1975. Dad was born in Withington and supported City during the thirties when they won the cup,league and got relegated all in the space of four years. He came to Rochdale just after the war and had that newsagents shop on Ramsey Street for a few years,before we moved to the top end of Oswald Street. Anyway,it was through him taking me to Spotland and Athletic Grounds as a nipper in the fifties,that I fell in love with both codes,as I assume is the case with most of us. I always rang him on Sundays to let him know how Dale,United and City went on only a few hours before and he never lost his interest in the game. He took me to see United play Arsenal in late 1957,so though I can`t remember much about the game (United won 4-2) I got to see Edwards,Taylor,Whelan,Byrne and Coleman.
Anyway,just thought I`d pass that on to anybody who might remember him.
Vernon Thomas on 06:01 - Apr 17 with 3099 viewsTalkingSutty

A bit before my time so I don't remember your dad, very sad to here your bad news. 94 is a great age, did you all go as a family to live in NZ or did your dad go on his own?
Vernon Thomas on 06:42 - Apr 17 with 3082 viewsDiddyDave

I went in 1972,my brother in `74 and pater in `82 a year after mum passed away. Thanks for your interest mate.
Vernon Thomas on 09:24 - Apr 17 with 2938 viewsSuddenLad

Very sorry to hear about that loss of your Dad. A life well lived by the sound of it. Please accept my condolences.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Vernon Thomas on 09:41 - Apr 17 with 2895 viewsmingthemerciless

Vernon Thomas on 09:24 - Apr 17 by SuddenLad

Very sorry to hear about that loss of your Dad. A life well lived by the sound of it. Please accept my condolences.

Very sorry to hear that Dave. I never knew your dad but anybody who follows his local teams is a good guy in my book.

Sounds like he led a full life.

Sincere condolences.

Ming.
Vernon Thomas on 11:29 - Apr 17 with 2796 viewspioneer

My old man was a postie in the sixties and seventies so may well have known him, but he passed away in '96.

Condolonces.
Vernon Thomas on 14:41 - Apr 17 with 2668 viewspioneer

another big Dale fan who was a postman at that time was Jimmy Schofield. Was an official in the supporters club and ran the old progamme shop on Cheetham Street.
Vernon Thomas on 15:49 - Apr 17 with 2627 viewsSuddenLad

Vernon Thomas on 14:41 - Apr 17 by pioneer

another big Dale fan who was a postman at that time was Jimmy Schofield. Was an official in the supporters club and ran the old progamme shop on Cheetham Street.

I remember him well and I was a frequent visitor to the shop.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Vernon Thomas on 15:59 - Apr 17 with 2619 views1949er

Sorry for your loss .sincere condolences.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Vernon Thomas on 18:24 - Apr 17 with 2537 viewsDiddyDave

Thanks for your very kind thoughts,I`m off back to NZ in a few hours from the Gold Coast,where I now live,to help my brother get arrangements sorted,so will be off the scene for a couple of weeks at least.
Hope Dale keep on keeping on,who knows,maybe they will make the play offs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024