Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan friendly 15:02 - Jul 23 with 12981 viewsAtThePeake

XI: Lillis, Rafferty, McGahey, Canavan, McNulty, Cannon, Allen, Camps, RNL, NML, Bunney

Subs: Thompson (trialist), Tanser, Andrew, McDermott, Rathbone, Hooper, Morley #RAFC

Might this lad be the trailist keeper? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35363664

Tangled up in blue.

Wigan friendly on 15:17 - Jul 23 with 7242 viewsfitzochris

And for anyone wondering where Hendo is...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Wigan friendly on 15:38 - Jul 23 with 7125 viewsPorlicks

Presume it's not a spelling mistake (could never happen) and it's the Robbie Thomson we had before.

Who are YOU with?

Wigan friendly on 15:53 - Jul 23 with 7029 viewsfitzochris

Wigan friendly on 15:38 - Jul 23 by Porlicks

Presume it's not a spelling mistake (could never happen) and it's the Robbie Thomson we had before.

It's definitely not him.

Wigan friendly on 15:53 - Jul 23 with 7028 viewsAtThePeake

2-0 at half-time. RNL and NML with the goals.

Tangled up in blue.

Wigan friendly on 16:04 - Jul 23 with 6940 viewsDySporting

Wigan friendly on 15:38 - Jul 23 by Porlicks

Fylde keeper
Wigan friendly on 16:06 - Jul 23 with 6933 viewsPorlicks

Wigan friendly on 15:53 - Jul 23 by AtThePeake

2-0 at half-time. RNL and NML with the goals.

I bow to your knowledge of the whereabouts of average Scottish goalkeepers.

Is it Billy Thompson?

Who are YOU with?

Wigan friendly on 16:27 - Jul 23 with 6824 viewsfitzochris

Wigan friendly on 16:06 - Jul 23 by Porlicks

I bow to your knowledge of the whereabouts of average Scottish goalkeepers.

Is it Billy Thompson?

You'll end up with a bad back.

Wigan friendly on 16:39 - Jul 23 with 6733 viewsPorlicks

Wigan friendly on 16:27 - Jul 23 by fitzochris

You'll end up with a bad back.

Better than a bad Thompson

Who are YOU with?

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan friendly on 16:53 - Jul 23 with 6612 viewsfitzochris

Check out @officiallydale's Tweet:

Wigan friendly on 17:19 - Jul 23 with 6377 views442Dale

Good win. Wigan were poor but we were really clinical at times. Good move for the first which RNL finished well and a tremendous strike by NML for the second after Wigan gave him the ball after their insistence to pass about like fools at the back. The subs had a big effect, Donal especially as everything went through him from then on. Andrew was very good too, capped off with a decent goal.

McGahey impressed at the back and with the likes of Henderson and Vincenti to come back it illustrates what we do have is of a reasonable quality. Numbers wise we are short still but we need to see what happens there.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Wigan friendly on 18:40 - Jul 23 with 5995 viewsboromat

Wigan friendly on 17:19 - Jul 23 by 442Dale

Good win. Wigan were poor but we were really clinical at times. Good move for the first which RNL finished well and a tremendous strike by NML for the second after Wigan gave him the ball after their insistence to pass about like fools at the back. The subs had a big effect, Donal especially as everything went through him from then on. Andrew was very good too, capped off with a decent goal.

McGahey impressed at the back and with the likes of Henderson and Vincenti to come back it illustrates what we do have is of a reasonable quality. Numbers wise we are short still but we need to see what happens there.

Agree with all that good display. We also got to see Rathbone in the second half, obviously too early to say but on the 15 mins I'm not sure what he's going to bring to the squad. Looking forward to him proving me wrong but think he'll find the switch to league football difficult.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Wigan friendly on 19:11 - Jul 23 with 5850 viewsmacro

I thought Rathbone offered a lot. A but over enthusiastic but lots of potential. He's not going to start ahead of Allen, camps, Lund but he'll do alright.
Wigan friendly on 19:51 - Jul 23 with 5670 viewslove_the_dale

22 players is ample. considering the quality we have in that 22. To misquote, "Never mind the the width, feel the quality". Also, we have to repay half a million yet to the council, so let's not waste money on players we do not need and will probably add nothing to what we have.
Wigan friendly on 20:02 - Jul 23 with 5626 viewsD_Dale

Thanks for your impressions, 442Dale. There wasn't much information on this thread - more comments on the state of the Labour party thread.

Maybe all the real fans were at Spotland - did the crowd get to four figures? - or following the game on Twitter.
Wigan friendly on 20:17 - Jul 23 with 5575 viewsBartRowou

General thoughts:

1. Donal and NML are going to be star players this season and may well become transfer targets.
2. McGahey plays just like Eastham and is already going to be a much better fit than Lancashire.
3. Cannon did very well in midfield; Camps has had a quiet pre-season.
4. The music is so predictable even the away fans have started to complain.
5. Worried about the pitch - big chunks of it have been unearthed in the last two games.
6. Wigan's shirts were ridiculously tight and stopped being white when they got a sweat on.
7. The presence of Barrow junior reminded me of the days when all and sundry used to be out on the pitch for the warm up. Very unprofessional.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Wigan friendly on 20:20 - Jul 23 with 5561 views442Dale

Wigan friendly on 19:51 - Jul 23 by love_the_dale

22 players is ample. considering the quality we have in that 22. To misquote, "Never mind the the width, feel the quality". Also, we have to repay half a million yet to the council, so let's not waste money on players we do not need and will probably add nothing to what we have.

Going off what Hill said about needing players in each area of the pitch, that's all. I tend to agree that we don't need to spend anything silly, but that we also need additions. Especially at centre half.

There's a post from DDB on here where he had a link to Solidatory payments going up to 600k-ish, which alongside the profits announced for last year will help with any payments on the stadium.

DDB, could you post that link again? Can't bloody find it!

Wigan friendly on 20:25 - Jul 23 with 5537 views442Dale

Wigan friendly on 20:02 - Jul 23 by D_Dale

Thanks for your impressions, 442Dale. There wasn't much information on this thread - more comments on the state of the Labour party thread.

Maybe all the real fans were at Spotland - did the crowd get to four figures? - or following the game on Twitter.

Have the crowds been announced for either friendly yet?

Me and TalkingSutty were kicking ourselves earlier when talking about capitalising on the free* kids season tickets and the school holidays: all that fuss about the £10 admin fee could have been wiped out by saying that every kids season ticket could have been shown at the turnstiles for each home friendly, no £5 entrance required - there's your £10 back if you bring your kid along. Result more children and their parents turning up for the friendlies.

We just wished we'd thought of it earlier! Or rather the club had, because as both a PR exercise and a chance to increase attendance at friendlies, it could really have been capitalised upon.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 20:27]

Wigan friendly on 20:37 - Jul 23 with 5482 viewsShun

Wigan friendly on 16:53 - Jul 23 by fitzochris

Check out @officiallydale's Tweet:

It looks like NML has continued his excellent form of the latter stages of last season into pre-season. Long may it continue into the new season.
Wigan friendly on 20:46 - Jul 23 with 5432 viewsnordenblue

Wigan friendly on 20:17 - Jul 23 by BartRowou

General thoughts:

1. Donal and NML are going to be star players this season and may well become transfer targets.
2. McGahey plays just like Eastham and is already going to be a much better fit than Lancashire.
5. Worried about the pitch - big chunks of it have been unearthed in the last two games.
6. Wigan's shirts were ridiculously tight and stopped being white when they got a sweat on.
7. The presence of Barrow junior reminded me of the days when all and sundry used to be out on the pitch for the warm up. Very unprofessional.

NML was the best player on the pitch by a long way,his back healed pass for the RNL goal was absolutely class.

I had the pleasure of sitting behind Hilly all game and to say he is a hard task master is the understatement of the year,Bunney and Raff got constantly bollocked all first half then he seemed to be all over Josh and his kicking from dead balls to the wrong man.

I thought Cannon was a bit too aggressive, some of the tackles he jumps in for just don't need to be made and leaves himself wide open for a booking.

Overall a very polished display against a team unrecognisable from the one that looked a class apart last season
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 20:47]
Wigan friendly on 21:09 - Jul 23 with 5348 views49thseason

Caldwell not happy
http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/gary-caldwell-reflects-on-wiga
Wigan friendly on 21:13 - Jul 23 with 5319 viewsTalkingSutty

Wigan friendly on 20:17 - Jul 23 by BartRowou

General thoughts:

My exact thoughts, i could have written that myself. Nothing's changed since last season, we have a starting eleven that can beat any team in league one and today just highlighted what a talented bunch we have in the building.

It's a collection of players that with the inclusion of three or four decent signings could easily improve on last season and take us into the Play Offs and a chance of Promotion. That would put the Cat amongst the Pigeons though wouldn't it? People would start wringing their hands and coming up with excuses why a visit to the Championship is best avoided, if that's the case there's no point in strengthening because if it's done right we could easily find ourselves in that position.

Does anybody really know what the aspirations of the Club are regarding our on- field ambitions because with just a little more improvement in this squad I think it's within reach. If there's no appetite for it then be careful with the recruiting otherwise the Championship could become a reality.
Wigan friendly on 21:29 - Jul 23 with 5245 viewsTVOS1907

That contradicts the manager saying he needs four more players.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Wigan friendly on 21:38 - Jul 23 with 5204 viewsisitme

I thought McGahey had a good game. He looks physically stronger than either Eastham or Lancashire and a bit quicker.

Thought we played well and took our chances excellently. I'm encouraged enough by what I've seen the past two games to say that we should have a good season. We do still need more depth in some areas but there are no real gaping holes in the starting line up.

Mendez-Laing looks in top condition and a real threat. Hilly has worked wonders with him.
Wigan friendly on 21:42 - Jul 23 with 5188 viewsTalkingSutty

The payments for the Stadium are staggered though on a mortgage/ loan agreement so we don't have to pay all that money back at once. I can't remember the exact re-payment details but remember thinking they where easily attainable and could be covered with Sponsorship deals/ Hornets rental payments etc. Buying the Stadium back isn't a finacial noose around the Clubs neck, its a win win situation.
Wigan friendly on 22:04 - Jul 23 with 5110 viewsBartRowou

I'd love to know the thinking behind the Wigan tactic of dropping both centre halves back so that they're in line with the six yard box. It was tried in the Euros and Fleetwood attempted it on our sandpit last season.

All that happens is the keeper gives the ball to his defender who immediately comes under pressure and either loses it, passes it to his mate who loses it or gives it back to the keeper who launches it like he could have done in the first place.

It appears to be another modern tactic that managers think makes them look all continental and clever which will soon be consigned to Gary Neville's wheely bin.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024