Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread 14:16 - Oct 8 with 8942 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 14:29 - Oct 8 with 6740 viewsboromat

Proud moment for Morley also a great moment for the club again showing our commitment to youth development and giving young lads a chance. Hope he plays centrally along with Camps and Cannon.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 14:51 - Oct 8 with 6661 viewsDomDale

Great news on the Morley start. Hope he has a good game.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 15:20 - Oct 8 with 6553 viewsrochedale

Oh he can cross a ball can JB, great ball, great finish...1 nil!
[Post edited 8 Oct 2016 15:21]

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 15:22 - Oct 8 with 6532 viewsfitzochris

Thompson off injured for NML who, according to Hill, is not match fit. We really are down to the bare bones.

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 15:22 - Oct 8 with 6530 views1mark1

Get in. UP the Dale

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 15:28 - Oct 8 with 6485 views1mark1

Get in . 2-0 .

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 15:49 - Oct 8 with 6346 viewsDomDale

Missing today's game to watch some egg chasing, regretting that now! C'mon Dale.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 16:43 - Oct 8 with 6097 views1mark1

Get in. 3-0 😀

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 16:45 - Oct 8 with 6081 viewsfitzochris

NML not even match fit and he's on the scoresheet. Great home result.

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 16:54 - Oct 8 with 6011 views1mark1

Yes , great result. UP the Dale.
😀😀😀😀😀👍👍👍👍👍

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:01 - Oct 8 with 5952 viewssampadale

Up to 6th for now.

E I E I E I O!
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:12 - Oct 8 with 5862 viewsSheffdale

For those of a little longer in the tooth, 3-0 at home to Southend was the promotion winning scoreline in May 69. Great result for a side somewhat depleted. Credit due to all concerned and marvellous to hear Morley came off to a standing ovation. Team spirit and managerial nous count for a lot. Looking forward to coming across for the derby next Saturday.
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:15 - Oct 8 with 5837 viewsShun

Fantastic result! Great to see 16 year-old Morley getting his first league start. It's even more great when you consider we had 4 Rochdale youth products in that starting lineup, and we have 2 more who didn't play today. I really do love our commitment to developing our own youth - it's fantastic to see and it's paying dividends.

I await a match report from anyone there today who's gracious enough to offer one!
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:28 - Oct 8 with 5732 viewsD_Dale

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:15 - Oct 8 by Shun

Fantastic result! Great to see 16 year-old Morley getting his first league start. It's even more great when you consider we had 4 Rochdale youth products in that starting lineup, and we have 2 more who didn't play today. I really do love our commitment to developing our own youth - it's fantastic to see and it's paying dividends.

I await a match report from anyone there today who's gracious enough to offer one!

To be going on with ...

Posted Sat 08 Oct 16 at 16:45 PM

REPORT | Rochdale v Southend United
Southend United fell to a 3-0 defeat to Rochdale at the Crown Oil Arena in Sky Bet League One.

Following the Blues 1-0 win against Leyton Orient on Tuesday night in the Checkatrade Trophy Phil Brown decided to make 5 changes for the away trip to the Crown Oil Arena switching to a 3-4-3 formation with the likes of summer signing Anton Ferdinand coming into the side looking to sure up the Blues shaky defensive record on the road.

However, despite an assuring start from Southend, the Blues conceded in the 18th minute as Adam Barrett bundled over Calvin Andrew around the right hand corner of the box, just outside the penalty area, and from the resulting free kick Joe Bunney curled an inch perfect cross in towards the back post for an unmarked Niall Canavan to put a bullet header past a helpless Mark Oxley.

The Blues thought that they had scored a quick-fire equaliser with David Mooney as he rifled the ball into the roof of the net past Josh Lillis from around 10 yards out after being put through one on one, however, he was flagged offside; This would typify the first half attacking performance of the blues, as the final ball was often lacking in the final third throughout the half.

Rochdale soon added to their lead, despite some heroic defending by Southend skipper Adam Barrett to prevent Calvin Andrew’s initial attempt at goal and then blocking a thumping volley by Nathaniel Mendez Laing, but he could do nothing to prevent the third attempt at goal in quick succession as the ball broke back out wide to the right hand side and Joe Rafferty crossed in an inviting ball which Calvin Andrew met with his head, as he towered over the Blues defence to head the ball firmly into the bottom right hand corner to make it 2-0 to Rochdale after little over 25 minutes.

Rochdale came close to further extending their lead with 16-year-old Aaron Morley as he had a low drive towards the bottom left corner tipped around the post by Mark Oxley, and but for a goal line clearance from Ryan Inniss from Nathaniel Mendez Laing’s powerful run and drilled cross across the box from the left hand side the score line going into half time would’ve looked insurmountable.

The Blues started the second half similarly to the first, as they had promising spells of possession, however, they lacked the cutting edge to really create any clear cut chances, as Rochdale again posed a big threat on the break especially with Nathaniel Mendez Laing down the left hand side causing Luke O’Neill all sorts of problems with his powerful runs, as early in the second half he drove a low cross towards the back post towards Calvin Andrew, however the cross eluded the Rochdale striker.

Dale thought that they had added a third goal as Aaron Morley took a speculative effort from 25 yards out, but his shot missed the top right hand corner by a whisker and hit the station behind the goal, which deceived most of the home crowd as they though that the teenager had scored his first senior league goal for the club.

Southend continued to push forward as Marc Antoine Fortune was slotted through down a channel on the left hand side in between Joe Rafferty and Niall Canavan, however, from an awkward angle the French striker blasted the ball high and wide into the home crowd. This was then followed by a tame effort by second half sub Nile Ranger which was headed straight into Josh Lillis’ arms. However, Ranger nearly halved the deficit with another header, putting his second effort just wide of the right hand post following some good work by Ryan Leonard from the left hand side.

A poor afternoon for the Blues was then rounded off as they were caught cold on the counter attack as Steven Davies who was on the half way line slotted the ball through to Nathaniel Mendez Laing who had evaded the attention of the Southend defence, and the Rochdale winger kept his composure as he cut inside and struck the ball beyond the out rushing Mark Oxley in the Blues goal to make it 3-0 to Rochdale.
The game at the Crown Oil Arena was another disappointing afternoon on the road for the Blues who will certainly be looking to bounce back in their next fixture at Roots Hall against Chesterfield next Saturday.

Match details
Rochdale:
Lillis, Rafferty, Canavan, Keane, Bunney, Morley (Rathbone 70), Camps, Cannon, Andrew, Davies (Odelusi 90 +1:39), Thompson (Mendez-Laing 19)

Subs not used:
McGahey, McDermott, Noble-Lazarus, Logan

Southend:
Oxley, Ferdinand, Inniss, Barrett, O'Neill, Leonard, Wordsworth, Coker, McGlashan (Ranger 51), Mooney (Fortune 34), McLaughlin (Cox 70)

Subs not used:
White, Thompson, Atkinson, Smith

Attendance: 2,600 Referee: Darren England
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:36 - Oct 8 with 5666 viewsR17ALE

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:15 - Oct 8 by Shun

I'll be gracious!

On paper Southend should be a good side, but in reality they are a typical Phil Brown side full of niggles and tactics designed, I expect to strike fear into our youngsters.

It didn't work and our more senior players really stepped up to help them through the game, notably Calvin and Keane who were our two best players.

The first half was a tale of crosses. Raff and Bunney found two peaches, Southend's were shite. In fact everything about Southend was shite. They had only one half arsed effort on goal in about the 80th minute which had the Pearl Street regulars ducking for cover.

We probably should have scored more than three. Calvin was a whisker from adding his second, when he was unable to reach a cross across the goal-line. Think Gazza's miss v Germany in Euro 1996 and you've got it.

Overall, our work rate was superb - Davies must be knackered the shift he's put in. And it was our up and at 'em approach which left Southend appearing shell-shocked. These Southerners don't like it up 'em it would seem. When you see a team whose only tactic is to rely on clogger Barrett to be the creative cornerstone, you know that we're doing well, or the opposition manager is likely to be Phil Brown.

Or both!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:40 - Oct 8 with 5615 viewsD_Dale

BROWN : "It’s frustrating. I thought we had turned a corner. Maybe I picked the wrong team.I hold myself fully responsible for the result."

Actually, Phil, most would say that more responsible for the result than you is Keith Hill.
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 17:41 - Oct 8 with 5598 viewsD_Alien

Match started in bright sunshine and finished with the autumn closing in and the floodlights on - but what an autumn we're having, and what a bright future!

The starting XI were good enough to thoroughly embarrass a Southend outfit who seemed strangely lethargic but our goals totally deflated any thoughts they might've had of a result. We were - quite simply - stronger than them throughout the pitch.

Andrew got MoM but it could also have been Cannon who was like a demon in an unfamiliar right-sided midfield role; or Keane, who gave as fine a display of centre-backery as you could wish for; or Bunney, who again excelled at fullback - at one point finding himself one-on-one with their forward running into the centre of the box and simply dispossessed him, calm as anything.

Canavan is relishing playing alongside Keane. Camps was superb in the holding role and vocal as captain. That's before we get to Morley. I'd posted that I hoped to see him for the first time today, and I wasn't disappointed. He's built like a tank and sees the game very quickly already. It was his throughball to Raff that eventually led to our second, and there we have Calvin scoring regularly...

Lillis, another clean sheet. Good handling and rarely troubled.

Davies worked hard and set up NML for our third. Overall, another confidence-builder and with a full week's rest now we can take into the derby game and beyond. Only one further injury worry, to JT but we've got NML coming back to fitness now.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2016 17:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:13 - Oct 8 with 5354 viewsJimmyRustler

Extremely pleasing that Bunney and Calvin are continuing their fantastic form. We are a good side now and Morley can achieve whatever he wants to in the game based on today's performance (keep forgetting it was his DEBUT)
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:24 - Oct 8 with 5266 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:13 - Oct 8 by JimmyRustler

Extremely pleasing that Bunney and Calvin are continuing their fantastic form. We are a good side now and Morley can achieve whatever he wants to in the game based on today's performance (keep forgetting it was his DEBUT)

Great start for young Morley...........just before his sub and standing ovation he had a fantastic effort just over the bar......most in the Sandy End of the Main Stand thought it was in!

Terriffic strike!
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:29 - Oct 8 with 5230 viewsroccydaleian

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:24 - Oct 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

Great start for young Morley...........just before his sub and standing ovation he had a fantastic effort just over the bar......most in the Sandy End of the Main Stand thought it was in!

Terriffic strike!

Young Morley! Don't you mean Mozzer?
Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:35 - Oct 8 with 5184 viewsDale23years

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 18:24 - Oct 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

Terriffic strike!

Morley is a cracking prospect It really was a joy watching his passing and movement I forgot he was only 16. Be good to compare England under 20 players on Monday to Morley
Bunney ( sorry mean bunny) had another good game best crosser in division ATM.

Davies WOW just WOW

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 19:12 - Oct 8 with 4989 viewsLaveritty

Thought we controlled the game really well today and in the end a comfortable 3 - 0 home win was probably a fair reflection of the game. Can't remember them even having a shot on target and it was mostly long ball stuff with little flair or creativity. So it looked as if their best chance might be to snatch something from a set piece but even those were poor and usually overhit so never really caused us any problems.

Man of the match for me was Niall Canavan - he won just about every tackle or header and nothing got past him at all. Scoring the opening goal just gives him the nod for me ahead of Keith Keane who, once again, was calmness and cool personified - I am more and more impressed with him every time I see him. You would imagine that his lack of height might hamper his effectiveness at centre half but his reading and judgement of the flight of the ball means he still manages to win nearly every header. Also his composure in the tackle and playing the ball out from defence helps to relieve any pressure that the team is facing.

Josh had a relatively quiet but effective afternoon and I can't remember him having a shot to save (apologies if I have done him a disservice there!) but he did get an important fist to the ball to clear a dangerous looking cross midway through the 2nd half.

Davies and Andrew up front looks like a really impressive pairing - very hard working and good hold up play. Both of them must have covered some miles today! Nice to see strikers scoring goals regularly too - although that sounds like an obvious statement but I hope people understand what I mean by that?

Finally - a special mention for Aaron Morley - has anybody actually checked his birth certificate as I can't believe he is only 16!! He might look like a 16 year old but he played today as if he had been playing professional football for 10 years rather than somebody making his league debut at such a young age! I was up out of my seat cheering his goal only to then have to sit down quickly when I realised it hadn't actually gone in. A goal would have capped what was already a very assured performance and when he was subbed he received a well deserved ovation!

And all this without Henderson, Lund, McNulty, Allen, Vincenti, Tanser etc. Already looking forward to next week's meeting with the noisy neighbours!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 19:25 - Oct 8 with 4935 viewsdingdangblue

Seriously, how good is Keith Keane! Just rock solid at the back and calmness personified. Incredible find by Hill again - how anyone could doubt his signings at times is beyond me - no matter where they are from!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 19:57 - Oct 8 with 4817 viewsrochedale

A great all round performance, the players really look to be happy out on the pitch. Davies and Keane, as everyone else has said, have been awesome since their arrival, and again today. A little surprised Andy Cannon hasn't been mentioned, thought he worked his socks off today and his first half performance especially, was excellent.

Southend were really poor, when you look at their squad today you would expect better. So many poor passes and no fluency, just long, high balls into the box which Josh dealt with, with ease.

Only downside today was my lad scoring an OG at half time!!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 19:59 - Oct 8 with 4800 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale v Southend Match Thread on 19:57 - Oct 8 by rochedale

A great all round performance, the players really look to be happy out on the pitch. Davies and Keane, as everyone else has said, have been awesome since their arrival, and again today. A little surprised Andy Cannon hasn't been mentioned, thought he worked his socks off today and his first half performance especially, was excellent.

Southend were really poor, when you look at their squad today you would expect better. So many poor passes and no fluency, just long, high balls into the box which Josh dealt with, with ease.

Only downside today was my lad scoring an OG at half time!!

"A little surprised Andy Cannon hasn't been mentioned"

He has

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024