Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack 18:42 - Oct 25 with 2628 viewsmingthemerciless

The captain of the 1970 Brazil World Cup winning team has died.

He was an outstanding attacking right full back in the final and scored the last goal in the 4-1 defeat of Italy.

They were in my opinion the best team ever. The best England team in my time ran them so very close but no cigar.

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 19:04 - Oct 25 with 2607 viewsD_Alien

Scored the last goal, and the best goal; the ferocious culmination of a move which involved all the greats of that team, Pele laying on the final ball which just demanded to be hammered home. It was; even more sweetly than you could fantasise about

It was like the crowning moment of the best team to have played football, as you say

What an epitaph, RIP

[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 19:08]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:31 - Oct 25 with 2533 viewsmingthemerciless

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 19:04 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

Scored the last goal, and the best goal; the ferocious culmination of a move which involved all the greats of that team, Pele laying on the final ball which just demanded to be hammered home. It was; even more sweetly than you could fantasise about

It was like the crowning moment of the best team to have played football, as you say

What an epitaph, RIP

What's really interesting about that piece of film is how hard Brazil work to win the ball back in the first place. They're winning 3-1 in blistering heat with 5 minutes to go yet the centre forward ( Tostao ) charges back into the last third to win the ball back for his team.

Mesmerising dribble from Clodoaldo that I never tire of watching.

What a great team they were. In those days it didn't matter what strip they were wearing as soon as they got the ball you knew they were Brazil. Now with one or two exceptions in the players ( Neymar for one ) you can't really tell the difference between Brazil and the likes of say Italy or France. Very sad.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 20:33]
Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:45 - Oct 25 with 2520 viewsD_Alien

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:31 - Oct 25 by mingthemerciless

What's really interesting about that piece of film is how hard Brazil work to win the ball back in the first place. They're winning 3-1 in blistering heat with 5 minutes to go yet the centre forward ( Tostao ) charges back into the last third to win the ball back for his team.

What a great team they were. In those days it didn't matter what strip they were wearing as soon as they got the ball you knew they were Brazil. Now with one or two exceptions in the players ( Neymar for one ) you can't really tell the difference between Brazil and the likes of say Italy or France. Very sad.

True

"It's just like watching Brazil" has now morphed into "It's just like watching everyone else"

The finish and the dribble are mezmerising, but possibly the best bit for me is the ball down the wing to Jairzinho. It's not so much a pass as a "I'll give this some welly but I know you'll control it perfectly." He does. That touch from Jairzinho, before he cuts inside...

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:51 - Oct 25 with 2511 views1mark1

Absolutely beautiful goal, from a beautiful team, with a brilliant finish.

R.I.P to one of the greatest full backs ever, part of the greatest team ever in the history of football.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 21:27 - Oct 25 with 2474 viewsDaleiLama

There was a prog on Sky in the middle of the night about that goal and that game. They had as many players as they could muster up giving their views on it.
My personal fave was the pass from Pele. He doesn't appear to look up but I'm sure he did before he laid it off. When he did, it bobbled a bit but slowed to the perfect speed to be hit in stride and what a goal to finish the move.
Great team, great memories.
RIP Carlos.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 22:06 - Oct 25 with 2443 viewsmingthemerciless

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:45 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

True

"It's just like watching Brazil" has now morphed into "It's just like watching everyone else"

The finish and the dribble are mezmerising, but possibly the best bit for me is the ball down the wing to Jairzinho. It's not so much a pass as a "I'll give this some welly but I know you'll control it perfectly." He does. That touch from Jairzinho, before he cuts inside...

I think the pass up the channel to Jairzinho was from Gerson. He absolutely dominated the midfield in that game without actually breaking into a run at any point. Take away Carlos Alberto and the rest of the back four were pretty average and I could have played in goal for them, but on attack they were something else.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 22:09]
Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 22:20 - Oct 25 with 2422 viewsD_Alien

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 22:06 - Oct 25 by mingthemerciless

I think the pass up the channel to Jairzinho was from Gerson. He absolutely dominated the midfield in that game without actually breaking into a run at any point. Take away Carlos Alberto and the rest of the back four were pretty average and I could have played in goal for them, but on attack they were something else.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 22:09]

Aye, he played like he had a deckchair strapped to his arse, but everything he did was 100% effective

Agree with your point about England being the best they've ever been too, better even than '66

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 03:12 - Oct 26 with 2352 viewsdownunder

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 19:04 - Oct 25 by D_Alien

What an epitaph, RIP

People did fantasise.
Login to get fewer ads

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 08:03 - Oct 26 with 2309 viewsmingthemerciless

That Jeff Astle miss doesn't get any better does it ?
Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 10:15 - Oct 26 with 2275 viewsdingdangblue

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 03:12 - Oct 26 by downunder

People did fantasise.

Brilliant! Takes me back to the early nineties. Friday nights used to be a night in the Baum with my mates - then get home and watch Fantasy Football.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 10:39 - Oct 26 with 2259 viewsD_Alien

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 03:12 - Oct 26 by downunder

People did fantasise.

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 11:38 - Oct 26 with 2223 views442Dale

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 20:31 - Oct 25 by mingthemerciless

National teams around the world are so bloody boring now. The game has become too over-reliant on tactics over giving it a go. It's only when some teams just do this - Iceland and Wales in the Euros - that you remember why you're bothering with watching tournaments.

Now, this: "In those days it didn't matter what strip they were wearing..."

That's got to be one step away from a ban? Has to be? Right?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 14:05 - Oct 26 with 2147 viewsD_Alien

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 11:38 - Oct 26 by 442Dale

National teams around the world are so bloody boring now. The game has become too over-reliant on tactics over giving it a go. It's only when some teams just do this - Iceland and Wales in the Euros - that you remember why you're bothering with watching tournaments.

Now, this: "In those days it didn't matter what strip they were wearing..."

That's got to be one step away from a ban? Has to be? Right?

Would that be a step forward, or a step back?

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 14:08 - Oct 26 with 2141 views442Dale

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 14:05 - Oct 26 by D_Alien

Would that be a step forward, or a step back?

I think you know the answer to that.

That Brazil '70 kit was iconic.

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 15:12 - Oct 26 with 2124 viewsmingthemerciless

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 14:08 - Oct 26 by 442Dale

I think you know the answer to that.

That Brazil '70 kit was iconic.

Only right that the best team had the best kit. Pele also wore the best boots at the time - Puma.
None of the technicolor rubbish they wear today.

The all white aertex style England kit was pretty iconic also. I remember getting a replica version a few years later. Really cool to wear in more ways than one.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 15:16]
Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 18:46 - Oct 26 with 2062 views442Dale

Carlos Alberto dies of heart attack on 15:12 - Oct 26 by mingthemerciless

Only right that the best team had the best kit. Pele also wore the best boots at the time - Puma.
None of the technicolor rubbish they wear today.

The all white aertex style England kit was pretty iconic also. I remember getting a replica version a few years later. Really cool to wear in more ways than one.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 15:16]

The updated version worn 16 years later in Mexico was ace too. They looked different yet the same. Yet better.

The only boots that beat Puma Kings are the Adidas World Cup.During his last spell, Holty used to wear them for ages after others began moving towards the plastic nonsense we see now. The best thing about Bury is that Tom Pope still wears World Cup boots to this day.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024