Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? 08:36 - Nov 11 with 4575 viewsmingthemerciless

I like him as a bloke but I just can't see him as an England manager.
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 08:44 - Nov 11 with 3666 viewsD_Alien

The only thing that matters is results. What we see him as, isn't important at all since we've had a shitebagful of high profile, hitherto successful managers who've flopped when it really mattered

Southgate has so far done no worse than most of them, and for me its refreshing having a low-key bloke in charge

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:10 - Nov 11 with 3644 viewsdingdangblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 08:44 - Nov 11 by D_Alien

The only thing that matters is results. What we see him as, isn't important at all since we've had a shitebagful of high profile, hitherto successful managers who've flopped when it really mattered

Southgate has so far done no worse than most of them, and for me its refreshing having a low-key bloke in charge

His Under 21's won a tournament in France last summer - not many England managers can say that. I dont see why he cant do the job. Watching the U21's beat Italy last night and the other age groups doing well it seems there's some talent coming through over the next few years so things could be looking up. Bloody hell - if Wales can get to a Euro Semi final then it gives us all hope!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:33 - Nov 11 with 3623 viewsmingthemerciless

We've had " talent coming through " for a while. As soon as they get on the Premier League " Rolex " and " Ferrari " gravy train that's it, downhill all the way.
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:06 - Nov 11 with 3587 viewsdingdangblue

Dont know if anyone else watched it last night? They did play some lovely football - and to be fair they have for a while now. Can only be positive.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:17 - Nov 11 with 3578 viewsrobbowood

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:10 - Nov 11 by dingdangblue

His Under 21's won a tournament in France last summer - not many England managers can say that. I dont see why he cant do the job. Watching the U21's beat Italy last night and the other age groups doing well it seems there's some talent coming through over the next few years so things could be looking up. Bloody hell - if Wales can get to a Euro Semi final then it gives us all hope!

In regard to having an impact at World Cups it won't make much difference who is manager until we get more "English" players playing in the Premier League (whose numbers seem to get less and less as each season goes by)
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:29 - Nov 11 with 3570 viewsParkinsGimp

NO
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:39 - Nov 11 with 3557 viewsD_Alien

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:29 - Nov 11 by ParkinsGimp

NO

Who then? Let's hear your rigorous analysis of all the candidates from world football

Actually, Southgate's just gone up in my estimation

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:53 - Nov 11 with 3529 viewsKenBoon

He is a terrible manager. His Under-21s were an abject failure at the recent Euros (although managed to beat the eventual winners). But for Joe Hart having a worldy, he'd have lost a game already. I hope he gets the job as it'll be another feather in the cap of how The FA are a bunch of idiots.
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 21:43 - Nov 11 with 3366 viewsmingthemerciless

The score tonight was convincing, the performance not so much. We lack basic football intelligence in several positions. We play too much dumb football at times. Stirling being a classic example, you cam almost rely on him to lose the ball in good positions by over elaboration.
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 21:52 - Nov 11 with 3347 viewsnordenblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 21:43 - Nov 11 by mingthemerciless

The score tonight was convincing, the performance not so much. We lack basic football intelligence in several positions. We play too much dumb football at times. Stirling being a classic example, you cam almost rely on him to lose the ball in good positions by over elaboration.

Someone needs to let Stones know he's there to defend, not to try and take on 4 players any time he gets the ball....
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 21:53 - Nov 11 with 3344 viewsisitme

Caps off a great week for Nicola. Rumour has it she is already on the phone to Fifa.
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 22:03 - Nov 11 with 3327 viewsmingthemerciless

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 21:52 - Nov 11 by nordenblue

Someone needs to let Stones know he's there to defend, not to try and take on 4 players any time he gets the ball....

Yeah I agree. He needs to learn when to stick and when to twist. He's another one who plays dumb football more often than he should,
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:10 - Nov 12 with 3154 viewsfitzochris

Is Gareth Southgate the right man for the job? At this moment in time, it would appear he is. Although, that's not an endorsement from me.

It's more about stability in the wake of Big Sam's embarrassing transgressions.

The England team last night showed no sign of progression, nor had it in Allardyce's only game in charge.

The defending last night was ponderous and a more switched on attack would've had at least three goals. Likewise, the goals we scored, while fantastic finishes, were as much down to poor defending at the point of delivery.

We only looked a real unit in the final quarter of the game, passing through Scotland at will. But that was because their heads had dropped and their pressing game had caught up with them.

The Spain game, while only a friendly, will be more telling.

How much of this is down to the manager, though, and how much is down to the players available?

Walker and Rose are the epitome of the modern attacking full back, but at what cost defensively against strong or organised opposition? John Stones is the modern footballing centre half, but by God lad, sometimes you've just got to hoof it upfield.

The constant insistence to find a role for Rooney within the team is, in itself, becoming tiresome.

Sterling attracted a lot of praise last night and, yes, England aren't blessed with players who can run at players at pace like he does, but how many times did he make the wrong choice?

Lallana has come into his game, granted, but elsewhere, not to take away from Sturridge, you feel England is missing that Alan Shearer type player of old. The reliable go-to goalscorer. Kane isn't it. Vardy isn't it. Rashford may be one day, but not now.

I remember, way back, when there was a belief that an influx of foreign players into the English top flight - Zola et al - would benefit the English players, as they would learn from playing alongside them. It hasn't happened.

When was the last time England saw off top-class opposition in a tournament match? I'm struggling to recall. Argentina in 2002? For the standards we believe we have, that is effing poor.

So, Southgate will add stability, yes, but, for me, the issue is deeper than the man who sits in the manager's seat.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:06 - Nov 12 with 3096 viewsfunkkk

It's a bit of a struggle to summon up interest really and Southgate being dull as dish water doesn't really help. I'd like to see players being picked on form not reputation and to find a system to suit our strengths. I won't be holding my breath.
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:16 - Nov 12 with 3092 viewsD_Alien

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:10 - Nov 12 by fitzochris

Is Gareth Southgate the right man for the job? At this moment in time, it would appear he is. Although, that's not an endorsement from me.

The England team last night showed no sign of progression, nor had it in Allardyce's only game in charge.

The defending last night was ponderous and a more switched on attack would've had at least three goals. Likewise, the goals we scored, while fantastic finishes, were as much down to poor defending at the point of delivery.

We only looked a real unit in the final quarter of the game, passing through Scotland at will. But that was because their heads had dropped and their pressing game had caught up with them.

How much of this is down to the manager, though, and how much is down to the players available?

Walker and Rose are the epitome of the modern attacking full back, but at what cost defensively against strong or organised opposition? John Stones is the modern footballing centre half, but by God lad, sometimes you've just got to hoof it upfield.

The constant insistence to find a role for Rooney within the team is, in itself, becoming tiresome.

Sterling attracted a lot of praise last night and, yes, England aren't blessed with players who can run at players at pace like he does, but how many times did he make the wrong choice?

Lallana has come into his game, granted, but elsewhere, not to take away from Sturridge, you feel England is missing that Alan Shearer type player of old. The reliable go-to goalscorer. Kane isn't it. Vardy isn't it. Rashford may be one day, but not now.

I remember, way back, when there was a belief that an influx of foreign players into the English top flight - Zola et al - would benefit the English players, as they would learn from playing alongside them. It hasn't happened.

When was the last time England saw off top-class opposition in a tournament match? I'm struggling to recall. Argentina in 2002? For the standards we believe we have, that is effing poor.

So, Southgate will add stability, yes, but, for me, the issue is deeper than the man who sits in the manager's seat.

And that's why we might as well stick with him, for the time being at least; but instead of a ridiculous contract offer, just ask him to carry on, perhaps on one-year rolling contracts. I'd imagine he'd be delighted.

Bringing in a so-called top coach from abroad (there are no candidates in England with the possible exception of Eddie Howe, who'll want to continue his journey at Bournemouth) on a zillion pound five-year deal would be just another astonishing waste of money. The limited time the coach would have with players would achieve precisely nothing.

If Southgate can simply organise a squad and ask players to play in familiar roles, there's little more that can be achieved right now, until the way we bring players up changes.

[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 11:25]

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:16 - Nov 12 with 3092 viewsdamon791

Two words Glenn hoddle
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:26 - Nov 12 with 3075 viewsdingdangblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:16 - Nov 12 by damon791

Two words Glenn hoddle

Have his belief's about the disabled changed?

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:26 - Nov 12 with 3076 viewsmingthemerciless

I agree with a lot of that. How has Sean Dyche's achievement at Burnley slipped under the radar ?
Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:51 - Nov 15 with 2942 viewsdingdangblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:06 - Nov 11 by dingdangblue

Dont know if anyone else watched it last night? They did play some lovely football - and to be fair they have for a while now. Can only be positive.

Another promising performance from the U21's despite defeat. Some stunning goals - Whatmore is some player. (and Dembele for France)!

[Post edited 15 Nov 2016 9:56]

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:56 - Nov 15 with 2930 viewsjudd

Absolutely spot on.

What has either manager since Hodgson done to effect real change?

Nothing.

Southgate is picking Hodgsons failed squad, by and large, and the insistence on accommodating Rooney is infuriating.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:31 - Nov 15 with 2904 viewsdingdangblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 09:56 - Nov 15 by judd

Absolutely spot on.

What has either manager since Hodgson done to effect real change?

Nothing.

Southgate is picking Hodgsons failed squad, by and large, and the insistence on accommodating Rooney is infuriating.

I'm not sure about accommodating Rooney? Southgate left him out of the away qualifier and he's not playing tonight either. I think he's being gently eased out - do we really think he would have started v Scotland had Kane and Alli been fit? There's no way he'll be playing in Russia 2018. I dont mind Southgate, to be honest whoever they put in charge wont make a massive difference. As long as we qualify for tournament's and get a bit of excitement every 2 years thats fine by me. With a bit of luck we may one day do a Denmark or Greece or Portugal but don't hold yet breath.

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:44 - Nov 15 with 2891 viewsjudd

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:31 - Nov 15 by dingdangblue

I'm not sure about accommodating Rooney? Southgate left him out of the away qualifier and he's not playing tonight either. I think he's being gently eased out - do we really think he would have started v Scotland had Kane and Alli been fit? There's no way he'll be playing in Russia 2018. I dont mind Southgate, to be honest whoever they put in charge wont make a massive difference. As long as we qualify for tournament's and get a bit of excitement every 2 years thats fine by me. With a bit of luck we may one day do a Denmark or Greece or Portugal but don't hold yet breath.

Come on, if the Spain game was a qualifier, would Rooney have a knee injury?
Who do Manu play at weekend?

Rooney should not be in the squad on current form, including the squad for the away game.

Why gently ease him out? Should be no room for sentiment at the highest levels of international sport.

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:59 - Nov 15 with 2852 viewsD_Alien

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 10:31 - Nov 15 by dingdangblue

Agree with that. Southgate, despite appearances to the contrary which can fool some people, is nobody's fool.

He's been pretty scathing of Stones' faffing about and made it clear it has to stop - or else.

I'm warming to him, and really don't see any huge alternatives to selecting those players who've already made the squad, even if they were in Hodgson's squad previously.

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 12:29 - Nov 15 with 2824 viewsjudd

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 11:59 - Nov 15 by D_Alien

Agree with that. Southgate, despite appearances to the contrary which can fool some people, is nobody's fool.

He's been pretty scathing of Stones' faffing about and made it clear it has to stop - or else.

I'm warming to him, and really don't see any huge alternatives to selecting those players who've already made the squad, even if they were in Hodgson's squad previously.

Then why get rid of Hodgson if we're going to put up with the same old selection of perennial failures?

With regards alternatives, depends where you are looking.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
[Post edited 15 Nov 2016 12:54]

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 13:01 - Nov 15 with 2771 viewsdingdangblue

Gareth Southgate - Is he the man for the job ? on 12:29 - Nov 15 by judd

Then why get rid of Hodgson if we're going to put up with the same old selection of perennial failures?

With regards alternatives, depends where you are looking.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
[Post edited 15 Nov 2016 12:54]

Hodgson had to go - he was lucky to get a 3rd tournament after Brazil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024