Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees 21:07 - Nov 13 with 1601 views49thseason

Just been looking at yesterday's ref (Ross Joyce)and comparing his penchant for chucking cards about compared to his peers:
Keith Stroud tops the list for yellows at 87 in 19 (4.57)games and reds- 8 in 19 games ( 2.37 games per red)
Ross Joyce has refereed 19 games and given out 85 Y (4.47 per game) and 5R cards ( a Red every 3.8 games
Charles Breakspear has the highest average yellows per game at 81Y (4.8 per game) and 4 red in 17 games - (1 every 4.25 games)

The next 7 referees in terms of games played have averaged just over 3Y per game and a red every 7.4 games

Clearly, there is a very marked difference in the way that 3 of these 10 referees go about their business. You would imagine that as the season progresses the stats would even out but what seems clear at this stage is that there are some referees who are interpreting the rules in a very different way or who have a different attitude to their job when compared to their peers.

Incidentally, 64% of the yellow cards handed out by Ross Joyce have been to the visiting team as have 100% of his 5 Red cards.
Referees on 21:12 - Nov 13 with 1586 viewsdale4ever

Well he was a bit of a homer. Don't think it would have made much difference yesterday though. He was however very eager to show us cards and not them.
Referees on 21:33 - Nov 13 with 1534 views442Dale

Referees on 21:12 - Nov 13 by dale4ever

Well he was a bit of a homer. Don't think it would have made much difference yesterday though. He was however very eager to show us cards and not them.

Which of our yellow cards were unwarranted?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Referees on 21:45 - Nov 13 with 1506 views49thseason

Referees on 21:33 - Nov 13 by 442Dale

Which of our yellow cards were unwarranted?

well, let me put it another way, in the two games in which Joyce has refereed Rochdale this season (both away) he has given the home teams 3 yellows and Rochdale 8 yellows and 2 reds! - are we 300% a dirtier team than Bristol and Bradford?
Referees on 21:49 - Nov 13 with 1491 views442Dale

Referees on 21:45 - Nov 13 by 49thseason

well, let me put it another way, in the two games in which Joyce has refereed Rochdale this season (both away) he has given the home teams 3 yellows and Rochdale 8 yellows and 2 reds! - are we 300% a dirtier team than Bristol and Bradford?

I don't know about the other teams, which of the yellow cards we received shouldn't have been given?

Canavan has had four deserved yellows (and therefore 2 reds) for a start.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Referees on 21:57 - Nov 13 with 1465 viewsTVOS1907

Referees on 21:45 - Nov 13 by 49thseason

No idea, because yellow cards aren't just given for being 'dirty'.

Most of those we picked up at Bristol Rovers weren't for fouls, but for avoidable incidents.

Canavan's first - knocked the ball out of the keeper's hands to prevent him making a quick clearance. His second - hauled down a Rovers' player who was breaking through from the halfway line.

Vincenti - stopped one of their players taking a quick throw-in

Allen - can't remember.

McNulty - can't recall the exact incident, but I think he 'took one for the team' in the 94th minute to stop a Rovers attack

All of yesterday's cards were justified and it's ourselves we should be concentrating on.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2016 21:58]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Referees on 22:42 - Nov 13 with 1409 viewsD_Dale

The statistical variations between refs is marked.

Maybe part of the explanation is that some refs are better at imposing a greater sense of discipline over the players. Similar to the way good schoolteachers give fewer detentions than poorer ones.

But there are also variations between players. Andrew Cannon has had two yellow cards in 17 appearances, Matt Lund 7 in 14. Steve Davies hasn't been booked in 17 appearances, Calvin Andrew also has 17 appearances, but 3 yellows and a 12-match ban.

Without reducing their physical commitment and competitiveness, some of the players could do more to keep out of trouble with referees.
Referees on 23:07 - Nov 13 with 1377 viewsD_Alien

Referees on 22:42 - Nov 13 by D_Dale

The statistical variations between refs is marked.

Maybe part of the explanation is that some refs are better at imposing a greater sense of discipline over the players. Similar to the way good schoolteachers give fewer detentions than poorer ones.

But there are also variations between players. Andrew Cannon has had two yellow cards in 17 appearances, Matt Lund 7 in 14. Steve Davies hasn't been booked in 17 appearances, Calvin Andrew also has 17 appearances, but 3 yellows and a 12-match ban.

Without reducing their physical commitment and competitiveness, some of the players could do more to keep out of trouble with referees.

Interesting stat on Davies, in particular. He's certainly not afraid of putting himself about and using his physique to try to gain an advantage when competing for the ball, but he does it in a clever way, quite like Grant Holt did. What he also does is stay on his feet whenever possible i.e. he doesn't go sliding into tackles, which is often a cause for concern that leads to refs getting their cards out

On the general issue of differing stats, it could be that some refs are more likely to be given derby fixtures or games with more riding on the result, possibly due to the way they exert control. This might lead to producing more cards due to the more intense competitiveness, but wouldn't necessarily mean the ref is more 'card happy'

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Referees on 23:23 - Nov 13 with 1349 viewsTVOS1907

Referees on 23:07 - Nov 13 by D_Alien

Interesting stat on Davies, in particular. He's certainly not afraid of putting himself about and using his physique to try to gain an advantage when competing for the ball, but he does it in a clever way, quite like Grant Holt did. What he also does is stay on his feet whenever possible i.e. he doesn't go sliding into tackles, which is often a cause for concern that leads to refs getting their cards out

On the general issue of differing stats, it could be that some refs are more likely to be given derby fixtures or games with more riding on the result, possibly due to the way they exert control. This might lead to producing more cards due to the more intense competitiveness, but wouldn't necessarily mean the ref is more 'card happy'

Precisely.

As said before, statistics can be interpreted in any way you want to.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Referees on 23:38 - Nov 13 with 1325 viewsdingdangblue

Referees on 21:12 - Nov 13 by dale4ever

That ref called Simpson, I've always thought he was a bit of a Homer.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024