Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Goodall... 21:09 - Apr 23 with 3284 viewsTVOS1907

... retires from the game:

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/news.htm#170423goodall

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Alan Goodall... on 23:14 - Apr 23 with 3169 viewsMorden

First Rochdale shirt my son got
Alan Goodall... on 09:03 - Apr 24 with 3020 viewsMarpleAlty

He's been fairly dreadful for us, to be honest.

Was made captain based on previous reputation, has played most of the season at the back and has probably been one of the worst of an incredibly bad bunch.

Jonah's older and has been infinitely better when he's played - testament to the types of player each of them are I suppose.
Alan Goodall... on 18:12 - Apr 24 with 2771 viewsColDale

Alan Goodall... on 09:03 - Apr 24 by MarpleAlty

He's been fairly dreadful for us, to be honest.

Was made captain based on previous reputation, has played most of the season at the back and has probably been one of the worst of an incredibly bad bunch.

Jonah's older and has been infinitely better when he's played - testament to the types of player each of them are I suppose.

any news on what Jonah's plans are? He's 40 in a couple of months - surely the boots must be getting hung up soon?
Alan Goodall... on 18:28 - Apr 24 with 2755 viewsscarrow

I noticed on twitter Jonah was at Bradford game last weekend doing the meet/greet and hospitality for the club.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 18:29]

Poll: Final position

Alan Goodall... on 18:31 - Apr 24 with 2744 viewsColDale

Alan Goodall... on 18:28 - Apr 24 by scarrow

I noticed on twitter Jonah was at Bradford game last weekend doing the meet/greet and hospitality for the club.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 18:29]

Think he's done this before. I think that other than playing for Notts County, he's never been back to Spotland since leaving.
Alan Goodall... on 22:46 - Apr 24 with 2582 viewsRespectTheChemistry

Alan Goodall... on 18:31 - Apr 24 by ColDale

Think he's done this before. I think that other than playing for Notts County, he's never been back to Spotland since leaving.

That truly is a sad state of affairs for a player of his stature.

The Coleman debacle must have left a particularly bitter taste.
Alan Goodall... on 11:07 - Apr 25 with 2403 viewsMarpleAlty

Time's definitely catching up with him now (I know, how outrageous for a nearly 40-year old) - he hasn't been available for a while recently.

Rumour has it he's very popular off-the-field with the younger lads, I assume he's done some of his badges because he had indicated a willingness to stay on and do some coaching (I assume he saw a big club in the Evo-Stik as a good starting point) - but given we're about to appoint a new manager, that obviously won't be his call.
Alan Goodall... on 11:32 - Apr 25 with 2376 viewspioneer

Alan Goodall... on 22:46 - Apr 24 by RespectTheChemistry

That truly is a sad state of affairs for a player of his stature.

The Coleman debacle must have left a particularly bitter taste.

Generally we are noted good at celebrating our past. Hopefully this will be something RG has on his (long) list, but might be some time before even he can get to it and help attract former players back into the fold
There was a time when folks were urging for some recognition of Reg Jenkins, by naming a stand or someting similar. Nothing seemed to come of that and visitors to Rochdale wouldnt even know he ever existed. similar for other long time servants, record holders and genuine good guys.

Perhaps something like a wall of fame to celebrate the real legends from our history would be a possibility. Possibly funded by donations with donors listed on the wall
Login to get fewer ads

Alan Goodall... on 11:42 - Apr 25 with 2363 viewsD_Alien

I think Jonah's views will be filtered through the amazing spell he had at Bradford after leaving Dale, including two Wembley finals, one winning, and hero status conferred by 20000 rather than 2000

I doubt he harbours any negative feelings towards Dale (Coleman is a different matter, but we kicked him out), but Dale was his employment and fans naturally have an entirely different perspective. Hero-worship is for juveniles, although I agree with pioneer that the club might do more to recognise outstanding service given over a long period of time

[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 11:48]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Alan Goodall... on 12:25 - Apr 25 with 2297 viewsfermin

Alan Goodall... on 11:32 - Apr 25 by pioneer

Generally we are noted good at celebrating our past. Hopefully this will be something RG has on his (long) list, but might be some time before even he can get to it and help attract former players back into the fold
There was a time when folks were urging for some recognition of Reg Jenkins, by naming a stand or someting similar. Nothing seemed to come of that and visitors to Rochdale wouldnt even know he ever existed. similar for other long time servants, record holders and genuine good guys.

Perhaps something like a wall of fame to celebrate the real legends from our history would be a possibility. Possibly funded by donations with donors listed on the wall

When we there recently I noticed Shrewsbury had a few of these up:

http://www.shrewsburytown.com//news/article/two-more-legends-are-unveiled-233994

No reason we couldn't do something similar.
Alan Goodall... on 13:15 - Apr 25 with 2235 viewsShun

Alan Goodall... on 12:25 - Apr 25 by fermin

When we there recently I noticed Shrewsbury had a few of these up:

http://www.shrewsburytown.com//news/article/two-more-legends-are-unveiled-233994

No reason we couldn't do something similar.

I always like the display on the outside of Scunthorpe's stadium portraying action shots of Keogh, Sharp, and some other greats they've had. I wonder if we could do something similar, possibly on the outer wall of the Sandy Lane? Jones, Dawson, Henderson, Whitehall etc.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:17]
Alan Goodall... on 11:09 - Apr 29 with 1956 viewsRespectTheChemistry

I'm not suggesting we should be indulging in juvenile, hero-worship. Rather, that it is highly regrettable that Jonah has had so little contact with the club since he left. I always hoped he would move into a coaching role at Dale with the possibility of taking over from Hilly if the situation arose and he proved capable. Given that he is currently obtaining his coaching badges, that might be something that could arise in the future.

Clearly his time at Bradford must have been beyond his wildest expectations and proved to be a glorious swansong to a career that would have appeared unremarkable to most of the general, football watching public. And, yes, that would account for his much closer, recent attachment. Perhaps a coaching role at Bradford will beckon for him.

The points about making more of a feature at the stadium of past players is a very good one and I hope is the sort of thing on Russ Green's radar in terms of developing the profile of the club.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2017 11:15]
Alan Goodall... on 12:09 - Apr 29 with 1876 viewsD_Alien

Alan Goodall... on 11:09 - Apr 29 by RespectTheChemistry

I'm not suggesting we should be indulging in juvenile, hero-worship. Rather, that it is highly regrettable that Jonah has had so little contact with the club since he left. I always hoped he would move into a coaching role at Dale with the possibility of taking over from Hilly if the situation arose and he proved capable. Given that he is currently obtaining his coaching badges, that might be something that could arise in the future.

Clearly his time at Bradford must have been beyond his wildest expectations and proved to be a glorious swansong to a career that would have appeared unremarkable to most of the general, football watching public. And, yes, that would account for his much closer, recent attachment. Perhaps a coaching role at Bradford will beckon for him.

The points about making more of a feature at the stadium of past players is a very good one and I hope is the sort of thing on Russ Green's radar in terms of developing the profile of the club.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2017 11:15]

I advocated the same thing, regarding improved promotion of former Dale stalwarts. I'm agreeing with you

Not sure why you might've thought the "hero-worship" point was aimed at you?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024