Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The squad 16:56 - Jun 22 with 5938 viewsfitzochris

When you think about our squad, it looks quite healthy already in terms of numbers. I guess the question is about quality.

As it stands, you’d be looking at a possible starting XI of:

Davies
Williams-Inman
Camps-Allen
Keane
Bunney-McGahey-McNulty-Rafferty
Lillis

That leaves:

Henderson
Andrew
Thompson
McDermott
Brown
Rathbone
Cannon
Canavan
Kitching
RNL
Gillam
Morley
Moore

Even BBM and Collis if desperate.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2017 11:45]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The squad on 17:47 - Jun 22 with 4455 viewsrochdaleriddler

Too thin on quality, rnl not good enough, McDermott if he remains ain't fit enough, and I presume you are joking about bbm and collis

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

The squad on 17:52 - Jun 22 with 4442 viewsSuddenLad

Any team with McNulty as first choice has problems.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The squad on 18:03 - Jun 22 with 4403 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 17:52 - Jun 22 by SuddenLad

Any team with McNulty as first choice has problems.....

Canavan attracts similar comments.

The squad on 23:27 - Jun 22 with 4132 viewsShun

I'm still not sure where the new man's (Brown?) position is, whether he'll be used in central defence, full-back, defensive midfield, or a mixture of all three.

Goalkeepers, sorted.

Defence, it'd be really nice to get another good centre-back to partner McGahey, with McNulty and Canavan as backup, but I'm not sure if we will.

Midfield we're sorted in my view.

Attack, we've lost NML, Vincenti, and possibly (or hopefully!) McDermott from last season, as well as the (limited) options of Redshaw and Owusu, with Thompson's presence in the squad still very much uncertain. Meaning we have Henderson, Davies, Williams, Andrew, and RNL as our only real options to fill 3 attacking positions, and the latter of those 5 will most probably be a bit-part player once more. Possibly Gillam as another bit-part player. I'd still feel a lot more comfortable if we had at least 1 more attacker, probably 2. As fitzo said in another thread, Hill's actively seeking pacey attackers, so I'm hopeful on that front.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 2:26]
The squad on 07:58 - Jun 23 with 3955 viewsAtThePeake

The squad on 23:27 - Jun 22 by Shun

I'm still not sure where the new man's (Brown?) position is, whether he'll be used in central defence, full-back, defensive midfield, or a mixture of all three.

Goalkeepers, sorted.

Defence, it'd be really nice to get another good centre-back to partner McGahey, with McNulty and Canavan as backup, but I'm not sure if we will.

Midfield we're sorted in my view.

Attack, we've lost NML, Vincenti, and possibly (or hopefully!) McDermott from last season, as well as the (limited) options of Redshaw and Owusu, with Thompson's presence in the squad still very much uncertain. Meaning we have Henderson, Davies, Williams, Andrew, and RNL as our only real options to fill 3 attacking positions, and the latter of those 5 will most probably be a bit-part player once more. Possibly Gillam as another bit-part player. I'd still feel a lot more comfortable if we had at least 1 more attacker, probably 2. As fitzo said in another thread, Hill's actively seeking pacey attackers, so I'm hopeful on that front.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 2:26]

Has RNL definitely signed a new deal?

Tangled up in blue.

The squad on 08:41 - Jun 23 with 3906 viewsstigmundo77

Hope not, RNL is league 2 at best

As are Mcnulty and Caravan.......

Lacking a massive experienced center half and small nippy striker if you ask me
The squad on 09:17 - Jun 23 with 3844 viewsShun

The squad on 07:58 - Jun 23 by AtThePeake

Has RNL definitely signed a new deal?

Come to think of it I don't think he has.
The squad on 09:21 - Jun 23 with 3832 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 09:17 - Jun 23 by Shun

Come to think of it I don't think he has.

As it stands, he's still part of our squad.

Login to get fewer ads

The squad on 09:35 - Jun 23 with 3802 viewsstigmundo77

I find it strange that there are no announcements on RNL and Mcdermott?

RNL must have been offered a very low deal or pay as you play perhaps? Maybe the same for Mcdermott

Sort of hoping we dip into the loan market this season for the quality we are lacking in certain areas
The squad on 09:54 - Jun 23 with 3764 viewsdawlishdale

I'm sure there will be another 2 or 3 players coming in before the season starts.

Priority for me would be

A strong, organised centre half to play alongside McGahey. Jim simply not good enough, and Canavan prone to lapses in concentration.

Nippy forward. A Done or similar would be ace.

Midfield replacement for Lund. Although I feel this won't happen as we have quite a few players who can play here.
The squad on 10:31 - Jun 23 with 3699 viewsstigmundo77

Hopefully Hill agree's with you as I do....

Spot on assessment, we just need x2 or 3 quality players and we should be in for another decent season.

If we continue with that defence though its safe to say we will be mid-table at best
The squad on 11:18 - Jun 23 with 3618 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 10:31 - Jun 23 by stigmundo77

Hopefully Hill agree's with you as I do....

Spot on assessment, we just need x2 or 3 quality players and we should be in for another decent season.

If we continue with that defence though its safe to say we will be mid-table at best

I'm sure I'll be editing the OP before too long.

The squad on 14:34 - Jun 23 with 3295 viewsmacro

Maybe we'll have a Friday new signing alert

I'd like to see a couple of extra defenders, midfielder and a forward signed
The squad on 14:38 - Jun 23 with 3285 viewsstigmundo77

Looking doubtful

I agree with the ideal players required though, deffo need to tighten up that defence
The squad on 14:39 - Jun 23 with 3277 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 14:38 - Jun 23 by stigmundo77

Looking doubtful

I agree with the ideal players required though, deffo need to tighten up that defence

You never know.

Williams and Moore were announced out of the blue, despite Hill saying not to expect much transfer activity for a while.

The squad on 15:46 - Jun 23 with 3112 viewsShun

The squad on 14:34 - Jun 23 by macro

Maybe we'll have a Friday new signing alert

I'd like to see a couple of extra defenders, midfielder and a forward signed

I don't particularly want another midfielder. We already have Keane, Camps, Allen, Rathbone, Cannon, Morley, Kitching, and Brown. That's plenty of cover and I fear any other players brought in will only hinder the development of the young midfielders we already have.

I'd be delighted with one central defender and two forwards.
The squad on 16:17 - Jun 23 with 3042 viewsmacro

Fair point, two defenders though for me.
The squad on 16:22 - Jun 23 with 3034 viewsboromat

The squad on 15:46 - Jun 23 by Shun

I don't particularly want another midfielder. We already have Keane, Camps, Allen, Rathbone, Cannon, Morley, Kitching, and Brown. That's plenty of cover and I fear any other players brought in will only hinder the development of the young midfielders we already have.

I'd be delighted with one central defender and two forwards.

I agree with central midfielders.

Wish list is a couple of attacking midfielders / strikers and a left sided centre half with canavan leaving.

Edit: But what do I know 😊
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 19:09]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

The squad on 10:50 - Jun 24 with 2529 viewsNorthernDale

Did Keith say he wanted a squad of 24 players, and if you include Morley & Gillam, plus McDermott & RNL we have 23 players, so that in theory leaves us with one more signing, or three if Mcdermott and RNL do not sign new contract. I presume that McDermott will join Oldham if the rumours are correct, so in theory we will 2 more players, because I expect or hope RNL will sign, to make the 24 man squad.

Personally I would like to see a central defender to replace McNulty and Caravan and if possibly a striker, because Davies when he is fit is the ideal partner for Henderson, Andrews works hard, but does not score enough goals to justify starting games.

in terms of starting 11
Lillis
Rafferty, McGahey, Brown. Bunney
Cannon, Camps, keane, Williams
Davies, Henderson

subs
Moore
Allen
RNL
Rathbone
Andrews
McNulty
Iman
The squad on 10:51 - Jun 24 with 2528 viewsSaxonDale

I think we're 80% there, assuming we don't see any unexpected departures. If we were to sign another McGahey tomorrow then I would be confident of the Play-offs for next season, and I suspect Hilly will be trying to offload Canavan to free up the budget for that. If not we'll probably have to wait till late August. I'd also like to see another striker come in incase Davies gets injured again. I think Andrew has to be seen now as a wide man and as admirable a job he does upfront, there is a clear gulf of quality between him and Davies. It's a shame things didn't work out with Redshaw, as that would have been the sort of striker I'd like to have seen challenge Davies.

I also think I may be in a fan club of 1 for McDermott. Yes, he hasn't shown anything near to the form of the last part of the 2016 season, but I still think for a club our size we can't hope for a too much better back up member of the squad. He's shown on his day he is a very good league 1 player, I think he needs to prove though that he can come in after 10 games as sub and make an impact straight away. However, Hilly must have been happy enough with him to offer him a new deal. Any sort of attitude problem, which has been muted before, surely would have seen him released.

The terms for RNL must have been really poor for him to have not signed by now. He must know that if he doesn't sign here he's dropping down a division at best with the possibility of a move away from the north. I still do think he has got something about him, however he's been here nearly 3 years now and has only ever impressed in dribs and drabs.
The squad on 11:05 - Jun 24 with 2506 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 10:51 - Jun 24 by SaxonDale

I think we're 80% there, assuming we don't see any unexpected departures. If we were to sign another McGahey tomorrow then I would be confident of the Play-offs for next season, and I suspect Hilly will be trying to offload Canavan to free up the budget for that. If not we'll probably have to wait till late August. I'd also like to see another striker come in incase Davies gets injured again. I think Andrew has to be seen now as a wide man and as admirable a job he does upfront, there is a clear gulf of quality between him and Davies. It's a shame things didn't work out with Redshaw, as that would have been the sort of striker I'd like to have seen challenge Davies.

I also think I may be in a fan club of 1 for McDermott. Yes, he hasn't shown anything near to the form of the last part of the 2016 season, but I still think for a club our size we can't hope for a too much better back up member of the squad. He's shown on his day he is a very good league 1 player, I think he needs to prove though that he can come in after 10 games as sub and make an impact straight away. However, Hilly must have been happy enough with him to offer him a new deal. Any sort of attitude problem, which has been muted before, surely would have seen him released.

The terms for RNL must have been really poor for him to have not signed by now. He must know that if he doesn't sign here he's dropping down a division at best with the possibility of a move away from the north. I still do think he has got something about him, however he's been here nearly 3 years now and has only ever impressed in dribs and drabs.

I think Hill will be looking at a forward who can play both wide and through the middle, to allow rotation of a front three based on injury, suspension or loss of form.

Another centre half after that and we'll compete this coming season.

The squad on 11:25 - Jun 24 with 2463 viewsmacro

The squad on 11:05 - Jun 24 by fitzochris

I think Hill will be looking at a forward who can play both wide and through the middle, to allow rotation of a front three based on injury, suspension or loss of form.

Another centre half after that and we'll compete this coming season.

You mean like a Done or an O’Grady…

Agree with you - I reckon 2 more defenders.

Hill though does like throwing a curve ball, whose to say that someone else doesn’t surprisingly leave.
The squad on 11:26 - Jun 24 with 2465 viewsDaleiLama

The squad on 10:51 - Jun 24 by SaxonDale

McDermott has all the ability, but we know what KH demands of his players in terms of effort, and Donal can't or won't deliver that consistently. I am a big fan of his too, in terms of enjoying watching his natural ability express itself, but his lack of consistency prevents him from playing 90 mins regularly. I'm guessing here, but I suspect Hilly would rather have a less gifted player giving 100% for 90 mins than a Donal type, from both a contribution and setting an example point of view.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The squad on 11:28 - Jun 24 with 2460 viewsfitzochris

The squad on 11:25 - Jun 24 by macro

You mean like a Done or an O’Grady…

Agree with you - I reckon 2 more defenders.

Hill though does like throwing a curve ball, whose to say that someone else doesn’t surprisingly leave.

Precisely. Or more a Done due to his age.

And I agree, you can never rule out surprise departures.

The squad on 11:34 - Jun 24 with 2445 viewsSaxonDale

The squad on 11:28 - Jun 24 by fitzochris

Precisely. Or more a Done due to his age.

And I agree, you can never rule out surprise departures.

I naively said a month or so ago that I couldn't see their being too much competition for Done. Now, annoyingly, I can't see him going to any other team than Rotherham. It's a shame as I agree with you Fitz, he would be the perfect signing for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024