Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee 09:41 - Jul 22 with 1869 viewsmikehunt

Hello everyone and sorry to mither but I have noticed some knowledgeable threads about knees in the past.
So before I get it seen to I thought I would ask your opinion:
I have one that has become steadily worse over many years until now I need to check for pain before I can go up stairs. Weirdly this is so hit and miss that it can be fine and five minutes later I get pain. I can run around on the flat all day but it is becoming increasingly painful to ascend steps. It's the randomness of it I can't figure.
Anyone had anything similar? Is it just old age?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 09:52 - Jul 22 with 1846 views49thseason

http://www.livestrong.com/article/216809-what-are-the-causes-of-front-knee-pain-
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 11:26 - Jul 22 with 1750 viewsShun

Old age will definitely play a part, but there could be any number of reasons. You can self-refer to physios now, so I think that would be a good step for you if you don't want to wait for a GP appointment.
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 11:43 - Jul 22 with 1731 viewsD_Alien

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 11:26 - Jul 22 by Shun

Old age will definitely play a part, but there could be any number of reasons. You can self-refer to physios now, so I think that would be a good step for you if you don't want to wait for a GP appointment.

Good advice

A physio is likely to have greater insight into the specifics of this than many GPs, who might simply refer you to a physio

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 11:56 - Jul 22 with 1712 viewssteofthedale

A common cause is maltracking of the patella.

The thigh and shin bones have a groove in which the knee cap sits. If the contraction of the thigh muscle (quadriceps) eg when climbing stairs, causes twisting of the knee cap (patella) it can be painful.

Treatment is based around quadriceps exercises. There's a number of helpful leaflets on line.

steofthedale*

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 14:07 - Jul 22 with 1564 viewsmikehunt

Thanks a lot. See, I hadn't thought of going directly to a physio. What's our man doing today? Usual thing though, today; no bother.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 14:56 - Jul 22 with 1521 viewsNigeriamark

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 14:07 - Jul 22 by mikehunt

Thanks a lot. See, I hadn't thought of going directly to a physio. What's our man doing today? Usual thing though, today; no bother.

the guy on edenfield road about 1 minute away from the ground is OK( If still there). Helped me when my cruciate rehab was not going well. As an earlier poster says it could be one of many reasons so an expert diagnosis is better than self diagnosis on-line
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 16:02 - Jul 22 with 1472 viewsmingthemerciless

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 11:43 - Jul 22 by D_Alien

Good advice

A physio is likely to have greater insight into the specifics of this than many GPs, who might simply refer you to a physio

That's good advice. I used to see a guy called Frank Plum on The Crescent at the top of Drake St but he's no longer there now, maybe he's still working from another site. I've also heard good things about the people on Edenfield Rd.

Mine hurts me going down stairs or down hill. Going the other way is not too bad. I must admit mine has improved no end since I retired and I'm not stood on hard floors most of the day.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2017 16:06]
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 18:01 - Jul 22 with 1387 viewsrobtheb

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 14:56 - Jul 22 by Nigeriamark

the guy on edenfield road about 1 minute away from the ground is OK( If still there). Helped me when my cruciate rehab was not going well. As an earlier poster says it could be one of many reasons so an expert diagnosis is better than self diagnosis on-line

Bradley Associates is the name of the physio on Edenfield Rd. Went there approx 6 years ago for a self inflicted hip problem.....long story. I was in a lot of pain and movement was restricted.
I had 6 sessions, at the time £30 a session and they did a great job. Had no trouble since.
I am 68 now.
Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 22:00 - Jul 22 with 1259 viewsSandyman

Wear and tear / osteoarthritis could also be a possibility. If physio doesn't work, try and get a referral for an MRI scan on the dodgy knee through the NHS to get a good look inside. Worked for me after an arthroscopy or two
Off Topic: Dodgy Knee on 10:13 - Jul 23 with 1150 viewsBigKindo

See your GP. He should be able to arrange for an x-ray and then refer you to an appropriate consultant. Don't forget that you have 'pick and choose' giving you the choice of hospital and surgeon, who may suggest physiotherapy, arthroscopy or a total knee replacement. If you have problems coming down the stairs in your home try coming down backwards. However don't do what I did, I stood on my distance glasses! If you pm me I am happy to give you the name of the Consultant who gave me a total knee replacement as recently as the end of last March and who in the past has had NHS 'slots' at BMI Highfield on Manchester Road,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024