Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v Tarn 19:03 - Jul 25 with 13267 viewsfitzochris

No Raff again and no McGahey. Trialist starts. Assume it's Ntlhe, but who knows?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dale v Tarn on 22:19 - Jul 25 with 4372 viewsfitzochris

Dale v Tarn on 22:18 - Jul 25 by Daleaholic

3 players missing tonight who should be starting every game. McGahey, Rathbone and Davies.

Think you can call that the spine of the team, all vitally important.

And Rafferty, who the club has now confirmed is ill.

Dale v Tarn on 22:31 - Jul 25 with 4291 viewsdawlishdale

Flew back from holiday this morning, so my first look at the squad tonight.

Hmmm

Lillis. Did fine first half, poor for the goal. Noticeable that he shouted clear instructions in the first half, but was quiet vocally in the second half. Should have saved the first goal.

Defence: Canavan and Keane did fine for an hour, but Keane looks a tad slow. Canavan is much better when he does the simple things. Went worse as things progressed, although surely some of that is down to Jim replacing the trialist at LB. As soon as the trialist went off, Canavan looked dodgy due to Jim's wanderings (just like last season...Canavan & Jim can't play together)

Don't know who he was, but the trialist was my MOM by quite some distance.

Reece Brown... a bog standard L2 full back based on tonights display. Hopefully, he will speed up as he gets fitter. Looks fine unless someone runs at him when he looks very sluggish. Surely a squad player for us though?

Allen was poor in the first half...improved after HT

Camps. Did lots of hard work and played well, but must have passed to them ten times when there was a Dale player waiting. Frustrating, because he was so nearly ace.

Inman... glimpses of class, but only glimpses. Not sure based on seeing one game.

Williams... similar to Inman. Not going to be a world beater based on what I saw today, but I'm sure it will take a good couple of months to adjust to L1 from Conference. Doesn't look as fast as I expected.

Calvin...played well for an hour; then tired. No surprise as he had a lot of solo hard work to do.

Hendo... really good first half. Less so second half.

Big Jim. Replaced an attacking full back, and lost us all the forward momentum down the left side by insisting on passing back or turning round when it was easier to play forward. This coincided with Barnsley getting into the game, and gave them the midfield territory they hadn't enjoyed previously.

Cannon, Made a few mistakes, but has the speed to make amends for them and tracked back really well.

Overall... we lack pace going forward out wide (Hendo apart) I'd have liked us to be more willing to shoot. Only Camps had a shot that tested their keeper, when in reality, we had half a dozen good chances to shoot. 2 or 3 scuffed shots or trying to side foot the ball in when a good old fashioned hoof would perhaps have been better.

Need to sign a Mendez Laing replacement.

Apart from that, it was quite entertaining and we more than matched them for about an hour.

What's wrong with the PA? Couldn't hear a word.
Dale v Tarn on 01:08 - Jul 26 with 4046 viewsmacro

Dale v Tarn on 22:19 - Jul 25 by Daley_Lama

Lillis did drop a clanger for the goal but he also made a cracking one on one save not lobg after.

Canavan was absolutely fine all match for me, the goal was the last kick of the game and he was left isolated 1v1. Yes, hecwas out muscled for the goal, which was nicely taken.

Hendo looks sharp, A Triallist was very good for me. Casual Jim the latest effort at LB second half. As previous, he's no flying full back.

Camps and Williams did both look knackered at the end.

Jamie Allen had a decent game for me, he is the playmaker in midfield.

Brown good once more, think we are good at RB this season.

Calv, Keane, their usual selves.

Inman grew into the game for me, needs game time which he is getting.

You were watching a different game if you thought Canavan was fine. He made some typical agricultural clearances but a good number of times he gave the ball away which gave chances to the opposition. I for one don’t want to see him anywhere near the starting XI
Dale v Tarn on 08:03 - Jul 26 with 3835 viewsboromat

I think it's interesting that we seem to be playing a more distinct 4-4-2 formation I don't know if this is the plan going forward or just a way of putting some extra pressure on our defence in these friendlies. If we are going to be sticking with this formation it's a big ask of Allen and Camps but to be fair they've not been far off the mark in the last two games.

Inman and Williams don't have the energy yet to play our pressing game. Inman did alright first half Williams was the better of the two second half. Hope they both get up to scratch because technically there are definitely players in there.

It was great to see Jim given a standing ovation as he came on to the pitch as for the Trialist he came on for he's probably worth a contract I wouldn't break the bank though

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale v Tarn on 08:14 - Jul 26 with 3805 viewsColDale

Dale v Tarn on 08:03 - Jul 26 by boromat

I think it's interesting that we seem to be playing a more distinct 4-4-2 formation I don't know if this is the plan going forward or just a way of putting some extra pressure on our defence in these friendlies. If we are going to be sticking with this formation it's a big ask of Allen and Camps but to be fair they've not been far off the mark in the last two games.

Inman and Williams don't have the energy yet to play our pressing game. Inman did alright first half Williams was the better of the two second half. Hope they both get up to scratch because technically there are definitely players in there.

It was great to see Jim given a standing ovation as he came on to the pitch as for the Trialist he came on for he's probably worth a contract I wouldn't break the bank though

Speculating a lot but I think we're more likely to play the 4-4-1-1 that we did on Saturday as opposed to the 4-4-2 from last night, and if Matt Done was to return, Hilly sees him as being the 1 behind Hendo. I reckon Cannon and Rathbone have it in them to do the pressing role out wide, and they'll both look more comfortable when they have the overlappying Raff and Bunney behind them.

The left sided centre half is the key position at the moment. I think McGahey picks himself on the right, and we know he's only going to get better the more and more he plays, but it comes down to Keane's adaptability to play there as a right sided player. If it's a straight choice between Keane, McNulty and Canavan, I'd be tempted to go with McNulty.

Pompey XI: Lillis, Raff *, McGahey, McNulty, Ntlhe, Cannon, Allen, Camps, Rathbone, Williams **, Hendo

* Hilly kind of suggested that Raff might be a doubt for Pompey due to not having sufficient minutes under his belt in preseason
** Done if he signs
Dale v Tarn on 08:19 - Jul 26 with 3793 views1907

Thought the trialist had a really good game, looked eager and hungry for a contract. Is lightyears better than Mcnulty and is far better than Kitching going off what I've seen.

Think people are being unfair on Canavam here. He had a fairly steady game all in all and Lillis was as much at fault for the second goal with his usual hesitant antics.

Camps and Allen did ok but both tired, same for Williams & Inman.

We do seem to have lost that spark of pace going forward which is surely something we might get Done today ;)

Lot of positives to take and it was a great work out for the lads. I've got to say the last two friendlies have been played at an impressive tempo, when you consider what friendlies of old represented.
Dale v Tarn on 14:55 - Jul 26 with 3362 viewstony_roch975

Dale v Tarn on 22:19 - Jul 25 by Daley_Lama

Lillis did drop a clanger for the goal but he also made a cracking one on one save not lobg after.

Canavan was absolutely fine all match for me, the goal was the last kick of the game and he was left isolated 1v1. Yes, hecwas out muscled for the goal, which was nicely taken.

Hendo looks sharp, A Triallist was very good for me. Casual Jim the latest effort at LB second half. As previous, he's no flying full back.

Camps and Williams did both look knackered at the end.

Jamie Allen had a decent game for me, he is the playmaker in midfield.

Brown good once more, think we are good at RB this season.

Calv, Keane, their usual selves.

Inman grew into the game for me, needs game time which he is getting.

Agree about these balanced comments. Interesting is the new narrow pairing of Camps/Allen in a 4 man midfield - doubles playmaking from deep & 'solves' holding midfielder dilemma, strengthens 2 individually 'weaker' tacklers into a defensive shield; when that was breached on Tues we paid the price. Thought Canavan gets unfair criticism - out of favour, he doesn't get game time, so loses sharpness yet had a perfectly acceptable game against Championship opposition (Keane is for me squad cover at best). Problem with the 4 man midfield is the lack of width & pace - Brown (who seems to find first 15 mins a struggle) & trialist were v good defensively but struggled to overlap more than a handful of times all match. Formation also compounds lack of pace problem (individually) & as units. Equally, Hendo & Williams have to convert at least one of those one-on-ones, the need for an out & out goalscorer never goes away. Equally, thought Barnsley were excellent, patient to await the couple of opportunities and then clinical - made it difficult for us to play at pace and width.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Dale v Tarn on 15:13 - Jul 26 with 3332 viewsAtThePeake

Dale v Tarn on 08:14 - Jul 26 by ColDale

Speculating a lot but I think we're more likely to play the 4-4-1-1 that we did on Saturday as opposed to the 4-4-2 from last night, and if Matt Done was to return, Hilly sees him as being the 1 behind Hendo. I reckon Cannon and Rathbone have it in them to do the pressing role out wide, and they'll both look more comfortable when they have the overlappying Raff and Bunney behind them.

The left sided centre half is the key position at the moment. I think McGahey picks himself on the right, and we know he's only going to get better the more and more he plays, but it comes down to Keane's adaptability to play there as a right sided player. If it's a straight choice between Keane, McNulty and Canavan, I'd be tempted to go with McNulty.

Pompey XI: Lillis, Raff *, McGahey, McNulty, Ntlhe, Cannon, Allen, Camps, Rathbone, Williams **, Hendo

* Hilly kind of suggested that Raff might be a doubt for Pompey due to not having sufficient minutes under his belt in preseason
** Done if he signs

Have we paid our biggest transfer fee in years for a sub?

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Dale v Tarn on 15:29 - Jul 26 with 3294 viewsRalphs12

Dale v Tarn on 15:13 - Jul 26 by AtThePeake

Shaw MK. II
Dale v Tarn on 15:46 - Jul 26 with 3252 viewsKnowlesy

Dale v Tarn on 15:29 - Jul 26 by Ralphs12

Shaw MK. II

Harsh after a couple of friendly appearances.
Dale v Tarn on 15:56 - Jul 26 with 3221 viewsDaley_Lama

Think it is tough to guess the starting line up at Pompey

Hilly might go down the experienced route. Davies up top, Calvin and Hendo wide as he previously mentioned how the kids froze when we lost 3-0 down there.

Or he might go the whippet route and play Williams and Rathbone, both who are nippy if not raw pace players.

Or it might be cack to what you know, with Keane in front of the back 4

It's going to be a very big crowd and very noisy, but the likes of Camps and Allen are seasoned pros now who have been at Bolton, Sheff U, Millwall and not frozen since.

Poll: DF in or out

Dale v Tarn on 15:57 - Jul 26 with 3210 viewsfitzochris

Dale v Tarn on 15:56 - Jul 26 by Daley_Lama

Think it is tough to guess the starting line up at Pompey

Hilly might go down the experienced route. Davies up top, Calvin and Hendo wide as he previously mentioned how the kids froze when we lost 3-0 down there.

Or he might go the whippet route and play Williams and Rathbone, both who are nippy if not raw pace players.

Or it might be cack to what you know, with Keane in front of the back 4

It's going to be a very big crowd and very noisy, but the likes of Camps and Allen are seasoned pros now who have been at Bolton, Sheff U, Millwall and not frozen since.

"it might be cack to what you know"

Freud would be proud.

Dale v Tarn on 16:03 - Jul 26 with 3191 viewsDaley_Lama

Dale v Tarn on 15:57 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Freud would be proud.

Arf!

Poll: DF in or out

Dale v Tarn on 16:20 - Jul 26 with 3131 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Tarn on 15:57 - Jul 26 by fitzochris

Freud would be proud.

We should embrace that comment...

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Dale v Tarn on 18:24 - Jul 26 with 2993 viewsboromat

Dale v Tarn on 15:13 - Jul 26 by AtThePeake

Maybe to start with.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale v Tarn on 18:43 - Jul 27 with 2622 viewsdingdangblue

Highlights here from Barnsley YouTube channel.
Great hit and save from Camps / keeper. Calvin's offside looks very 'marginal'.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale v Tarn on 00:18 - Jul 29 with 2357 viewsWhiteyBFC

Bit late to the party here, but can I just say that everyone at Dale was more than welcoming last week. Leighanne is such a lovely lass and looked after us perfectly. I saw a couple of familiar faces too.

And you were more than a match for us on the night, up until the 60th minute mark where our better fitness told (in my opinion).

All the best for the season.
Dale v Tarn on 09:30 - Jul 29 with 2274 viewsfitzochris

Dale v Tarn on 00:18 - Jul 29 by WhiteyBFC

Bit late to the party here, but can I just say that everyone at Dale was more than welcoming last week. Leighanne is such a lovely lass and looked after us perfectly. I saw a couple of familiar faces too.

And you were more than a match for us on the night, up until the 60th minute mark where our better fitness told (in my opinion).

All the best for the season.

That fitness thing is very interesting and you're not the first I've heard mention it.

Hill wants us to be a pressing side and, other than last season, superior fitness was a key reason we punched above our weight, in my opinion.

Last season, superior fitness didn't seem apparent. And, despite a whole pre-season geared towards that so far, it still doesn't. I don't know enough about the inner workings of such things to comment any further, but hopefully it's one of those things where this type of training has a negative impact at first before kicking in and yielding results.

At least I hope that's the case.

Dale v Tarn on 11:35 - Jul 29 with 2177 viewsD_Alien

Dale v Tarn on 09:30 - Jul 29 by fitzochris

That fitness thing is very interesting and you're not the first I've heard mention it.

Hill wants us to be a pressing side and, other than last season, superior fitness was a key reason we punched above our weight, in my opinion.

Last season, superior fitness didn't seem apparent. And, despite a whole pre-season geared towards that so far, it still doesn't. I don't know enough about the inner workings of such things to comment any further, but hopefully it's one of those things where this type of training has a negative impact at first before kicking in and yielding results.

At least I hope that's the case.

And just to add to that last point, could it be the case that the lads come back from Tenerife absolutely knackered? It's something that would tie in with players incurring Hilly's ire in training, if their bodies are simply not able to take such high impact training in such a short space of time. Steve Davies comes to mind as someone who wouldn't take to training at such high intensity

[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 11:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dale v Tarn on 20:47 - Jul 29 with 2057 viewsnordenblue

Dale v Tarn on 11:35 - Jul 29 by D_Alien

And just to add to that last point, could it be the case that the lads come back from Tenerife absolutely knackered? It's something that would tie in with players incurring Hilly's ire in training, if their bodies are simply not able to take such high impact training in such a short space of time. Steve Davies comes to mind as someone who wouldn't take to training at such high intensity

[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 11:42]

I was reliably informed the main reason Donal could never complete 90mins was he over trained too and didn't rest anywhere near enough.... no point flogging them too much so they're constantly knackered and ending up with injuries too...
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 21:30]
Dale v Tarn on 22:41 - Jul 29 with 1998 viewsDaleiLama

Dale v Tarn on 20:47 - Jul 29 by nordenblue

I was reliably informed the main reason Donal could never complete 90mins was he over trained too and didn't rest anywhere near enough.... no point flogging them too much so they're constantly knackered and ending up with injuries too...
[Post edited 29 Jul 2017 21:30]

Interesting issue this. I had similar thoughts last season and an article about Adam Peaty I read chimed with this. Different person and sport, but he openly admits to chilling and sleeping for a lot of the 18 hours he's not training including a substantial midday nap. He and others put some of his success down to this recuperation period almost setting the training he'd done for want of a better expression and it being a significant difference maker. Wonder if we could learn things from other sports too?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Dale v Tarn on 23:06 - Jul 29 with 1959 views1mark1

Dale v Tarn on 22:41 - Jul 29 by DaleiLama

Interesting issue this. I had similar thoughts last season and an article about Adam Peaty I read chimed with this. Different person and sport, but he openly admits to chilling and sleeping for a lot of the 18 hours he's not training including a substantial midday nap. He and others put some of his success down to this recuperation period almost setting the training he'd done for want of a better expression and it being a significant difference maker. Wonder if we could learn things from other sports too?

Fitness and stamina cannot be achieved quickly. It takes a long gradual improvement over time. This is the case no matter what kind of intense training someone does. And yes all athletes need good rest and recuperation after heavy training.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Dale v Tarn on 23:14 - Jul 29 with 1958 views1mark1

Dale v Tarn on 23:06 - Jul 29 by 1mark1

Fitness and stamina cannot be achieved quickly. It takes a long gradual improvement over time. This is the case no matter what kind of intense training someone does. And yes all athletes need good rest and recuperation after heavy training.

Basically what this means is unless a footballer is already at a decent standard of fitness /stamina, they can't in a few weeks be made to have lots .

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Dale v Tarn on 00:44 - Jul 30 with 1897 viewsD_Alien

The key point here surely, is that what works best for one person mightn't suit another, due to several reasons such as type of physique, psychology, natural running speed, age, etc.

If players are being pushed beyond their natural limit in training, it'll have an effect on live performances. Giving someone grief because they can't train as hard as others isn't the way forward, it'll just build resentment

Someone like Steven Davies just won't be running around chasing the ball, that's not what he brings to the team, but what he does bring is proven and effective. His training, along with that of others, should be adjusted accordingly. It may well be, but I wouldn't expect comments about training to be made in public if that were the case, comparing some players unfavourably

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dale v Tarn on 09:02 - Jul 30 with 1727 viewsfitzochris

Dale v Tarn on 00:44 - Jul 30 by D_Alien

The key point here surely, is that what works best for one person mightn't suit another, due to several reasons such as type of physique, psychology, natural running speed, age, etc.

If players are being pushed beyond their natural limit in training, it'll have an effect on live performances. Giving someone grief because they can't train as hard as others isn't the way forward, it'll just build resentment

Someone like Steven Davies just won't be running around chasing the ball, that's not what he brings to the team, but what he does bring is proven and effective. His training, along with that of others, should be adjusted accordingly. It may well be, but I wouldn't expect comments about training to be made in public if that were the case, comparing some players unfavourably

That's absolutely true and there is no way on earth Hill won't be aware of all of this.

I fully trust he and his coaching staff know way more about this stuff than me and, unlike live games, training is an area us fans don't get to see, so can't really comment on with the same authority, I guess.

But the fitness thing rearing its head again does remind me of last season. Hill himself said it was an issue leading to conceding late goals.

But after all his seasons in charge, why has the main strength we he had only just become a weakness? Could it be as simple, as D'Alien says - the playing personnel is not built for it?

It's interesting to think that a player such as Paddy McCourt, for example, would be abysmal in a Keith Hill pre-season in terms of stamina - but there is no way you would discard him because of what he would bring to the team.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 9:04]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024