Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bar access 15:52 - Aug 12 with 33574 viewsrochdaleriddler

Sandy laners not allowed to have a pint at half time, but main stand is??

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Bar access on 12:17 - Aug 13 with 3519 viewsTVOS1907

Bar access on 11:52 - Aug 13 by Daley_Lama

I'm with H&S guy. He is legally reponsible for ground safety, he would do time if anything went wrong.

In his shoes he has to stop anything that could potentially lead to over crowding in a section.

This practice potentially does, even if general practice shows it doesn't materialise.

Hope a working solution is sorted soon, not beyond the whit of man as others already point out above.

Winter's coming!

That still doesn't explain why the decision seemed to have been made at around 3.40pm and much to the surprise of most in the ground, including the club's directors.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Bar access on 12:39 - Aug 13 with 3483 views442Dale

I'm with H&S guy. He is legally reponsible for ground safety, he would do time if anything went wrong.

In his shoes he has to stop anything that could potentially lead to over crowding in a section.

This practice potentially does, even if general practice shows it doesn't materialise.

Hope a working solution is sorted soon, not beyond the whit of man as others already point out above.

Winter's coming!

Surely this was already evaluated ahead of the scheme being introduced though? If not, why not?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bar access on 12:44 - Aug 13 with 3464 viewsDaleFan7

I walked to the toilet in the 45th minute and the announcement was made as I was walking there. Whilst the queue had already built up to get from the Sandy to the Radcliffe.

That isn't good enough. If the safety steward or whoever was in charge made this decision, it should have been a planned one. It clearly wasn't. Hopefully it will be sorted for the Bury game with an explanation to go along with it.
Bar access on 12:46 - Aug 13 with 3461 viewsfirgrovedale51

Bar access on 12:39 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

Surely this was already evaluated ahead of the scheme being introduced though? If not, why not?

A risk assessment should have been done and the findings recorded and entered onto the Health and Safety Policy
Bar access on 12:49 - Aug 13 with 3458 viewsDaley_Lama

No idea if this had been evaluated previously and 100% agree the timing of the announcement was as poor as it can be.

Doesn't make the decision wrong though, from a ground safety position it was right, irrespective of whether it had been permitted before or when it was announced.

As H&S officer he/she has to consider worst case scenario, if every person from the Sandy went into the main stand or vice versa, could capacity be exceeded? If so, it's a risk. That was the case yesterday and previous, but i suspect nobody had considered it previously.

Hope a safe solution can be sorted soon.

Poll: DF in or out

Bar access on 15:50 - Aug 13 with 3280 viewslyberoc

The number of supporters in each stand will be available almost immediately after the turnstiles close, it,s not rocket science to then work out how many can safely go to the bar from the Sandy at half time and issue tickets as has been done in the past. I think what happened yesterday was that the new stewards were completely unaware if the tradition until the queues started to build up and rightly made the decision that it couldn,t happen until they had time to look at the situation, hence the announcement almost on half time.
Hopefully it will all be sorted for the next match
I do feel however that with season tickets being the same price whichever stand you go in, then supporters should have that choice on a match by match basis ie Sandy one week Pearl St the next etc but should keep to their designated stand if a match is declared as all ticket
Bar access on 18:52 - Aug 13 with 3109 viewsDaleaholic

I can't say I ever utilised the bar access in the past but what does strike me is the uproar caused by this. Yes, the communication aspect of it is poor but are people that desperate for a pint? (Granted, Reece Brown could drive anyone to a life of alcoholism).

The question has to be asked nowadays, especially as season tickets were the same cost in all areas of the ground, why not implement a standard pay on the day cost all round the ground? Leave the gate open between the Sandy and Main Stand... People who want to stand will choose to go in the Sandy Lane and as such, would return there after half time. If people choose to sit, Reserved stickers designate the seats in the Main Stand which will be taken. This then eradicates the need for any kind of voucher system to get into the bar area.

I'd expect some kind of statement this week from the club.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Bar access on 18:56 - Aug 13 with 3090 viewsColDale

A steward explained at half time that a licence had been applied for the Sandy Lane kiosk and this was the reasoning behind it. No idea if there is any truth behind that, but given you can't drink whilst watching the game, I can't for the life of me see how it would be allowed.
Login to get fewer ads

Bar access on 19:40 - Aug 13 with 3022 viewsnordenblue

Bar access on 18:52 - Aug 13 by Daleaholic

I can't say I ever utilised the bar access in the past but what does strike me is the uproar caused by this. Yes, the communication aspect of it is poor but are people that desperate for a pint? (Granted, Reece Brown could drive anyone to a life of alcoholism).

The question has to be asked nowadays, especially as season tickets were the same cost in all areas of the ground, why not implement a standard pay on the day cost all round the ground? Leave the gate open between the Sandy and Main Stand... People who want to stand will choose to go in the Sandy Lane and as such, would return there after half time. If people choose to sit, Reserved stickers designate the seats in the Main Stand which will be taken. This then eradicates the need for any kind of voucher system to get into the bar area.

I'd expect some kind of statement this week from the club.

It's not just for a pint though,many go in there for a chat too and even just a warm up on Tuesday night games,I also seem to remember an area people can go for a cheeky smoke again a facility not provided in the Sandy,its not my cup of tea granted but you can't provide these places and perks for fans then remove them without any form of an explanation and expect everyone to remain silent....
Bar access on 20:01 - Aug 13 with 2979 viewskiwidale

Winter's coming!

"nail on head"... health and safety and those who police it are legally liable. If the ground safety officer made the decision on a worse case scenario then he was doing his job. it might seem overly officious to those wanting a drink and I'm sure something will be sorted for next home game it has to be dale cant afford the loss of revenue. As an aside the fact that the bar was closed post match seems very strange, not sure how that could be a safety issue. Surely the beers not that bad?

This is not the time for bickering.

Bar access on 20:04 - Aug 13 with 2968 viewsnordenblue

Bar access on 20:01 - Aug 13 by kiwidale

"nail on head"... health and safety and those who police it are legally liable. If the ground safety officer made the decision on a worse case scenario then he was doing his job. it might seem overly officious to those wanting a drink and I'm sure something will be sorted for next home game it has to be dale cant afford the loss of revenue. As an aside the fact that the bar was closed post match seems very strange, not sure how that could be a safety issue. Surely the beers not that bad?

Surely the time for implementing this enormous health and safety initiative was prior to the match not at half time though, it's not something thats just started happening.....
Bar access on 20:27 - Aug 13 with 2924 viewskiwidale

Bar access on 20:04 - Aug 13 by nordenblue

Surely the time for implementing this enormous health and safety initiative was prior to the match not at half time though, it's not something thats just started happening.....

yes your right on that point. The late decision is baffling you would think that the GSO was aware of the potential problem with sandy laners over crowding the main stand well in advance of match day. However safety is his decision alone and rightly so.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2017 20:28]

Bar access on 20:56 - Aug 13 with 2887 viewsnordenblue

Bar access on 20:27 - Aug 13 by kiwidale

yes your right on that point. The late decision is baffling you would think that the GSO was aware of the potential problem with sandy laners over crowding the main stand well in advance of match day. However safety is his decision alone and rightly so.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2017 20:28]

There was never going to be an overcrowding problem for yesterday's fixture,you can put potential in front of anything but you also need to apply common sense to some decisions,this the club struggle with spectacularly on many occasions...
Bar access on 21:10 - Aug 13 with 2861 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 20:56 - Aug 13 by nordenblue

There was never going to be an overcrowding problem for yesterday's fixture,you can put potential in front of anything but you also need to apply common sense to some decisions,this the club struggle with spectacularly on many occasions...

And that's the point

There's a risk in walking up and down the steps of the Pearl St so how about we level the stand and just have one row of seats at the front with a capacity of 100 - that'll put the GSO's mind at rest and spare HMPS from having to worry about one more inmate

Or, how about just taking common sense on board? If it was my neck on the line, i'd have undertaken a proper risk assessment and not made a decision at the very last minute, so either the new GSO is an idiot or incompetent, having not consulted properly with his employers regarding established practice

[Post edited 13 Aug 2017 21:15]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bar access on 21:21 - Aug 13 with 2833 viewsR17ALE

Bar access on 21:10 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

And that's the point

There's a risk in walking up and down the steps of the Pearl St so how about we level the stand and just have one row of seats at the front with a capacity of 100 - that'll put the GSO's mind at rest and spare HMPS from having to worry about one more inmate

Or, how about just taking common sense on board? If it was my neck on the line, i'd have undertaken a proper risk assessment and not made a decision at the very last minute, so either the new GSO is an idiot or incompetent, having not consulted properly with his employers regarding established practice

[Post edited 13 Aug 2017 21:15]

Quite. You wonder how on earth the usual arrangement coped when we were playing Leeds, Forest, and Stoke in the cup.

Fast forward to Scunny at home, and you can see the alarm!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Bar access on 23:58 - Aug 13 with 2696 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Bar access on 18:56 - Aug 13 by ColDale

A steward explained at half time that a licence had been applied for the Sandy Lane kiosk and this was the reasoning behind it. No idea if there is any truth behind that, but given you can't drink whilst watching the game, I can't for the life of me see how it would be allowed.

Talking of the kiosk.......like the mini makeover but the lads serving, did n't have a clue about prices and meal deals and kept asking each other.......really, READY?
Bar access on 00:32 - Aug 14 with 2668 viewskiwidale

Bar access on 20:56 - Aug 13 by nordenblue

again I agree with you as others have said but the health and safety regulations are often at variance with common sense, just another example of nanny state soon we will not be able to leave the house.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2017 0:34]

Bar access on 01:02 - Aug 14 with 2645 viewsDiddyDave

How quaintly English! The plebs are going bonkers because they can`t get a pint at half time,even though they no doubt quaffed plenty of ale before the game and will be scoffing plenty more after it. No wonder we have the best comedians in the world,you couldn`t make this up.
Bar access on 09:00 - Aug 14 with 2506 viewsColDale

Bar access on 01:02 - Aug 14 by DiddyDave

How quaintly English! The plebs are going bonkers because they can`t get a pint at half time,even though they no doubt quaffed plenty of ale before the game and will be scoffing plenty more after it. No wonder we have the best comedians in the world,you couldn`t make this up.

For many, and I include myself in this, the escape to the Dale Bar at half time isn't about being able to squeeze another drink in, it's a place to reflect on the first half whilst taking in the half time scores from other games in relative comfort, with a drink being an added bonus, often with people that I don't sit or stand with during the game. I'd still visit the Dale Bar at half time if it didn't sell alcohol, probably even over the option of visiting a kiosk which did sell alcohol. Think of it as being the equivalent of "back to the studio" in a televised game.
Bar access on 10:55 - Aug 14 with 2383 viewsDiddyDave

Bar access on 09:00 - Aug 14 by ColDale

For many, and I include myself in this, the escape to the Dale Bar at half time isn't about being able to squeeze another drink in, it's a place to reflect on the first half whilst taking in the half time scores from other games in relative comfort, with a drink being an added bonus, often with people that I don't sit or stand with during the game. I'd still visit the Dale Bar at half time if it didn't sell alcohol, probably even over the option of visiting a kiosk which did sell alcohol. Think of it as being the equivalent of "back to the studio" in a televised game.

Fair enough.
Bar access on 11:20 - Aug 14 with 2339 viewsYorkshire_Dale

........and it's heluva lot warmer in winter.

Agree,the booze is secondary.
Bar access on 13:59 - Aug 14 with 2160 viewsrochdaleriddler

Plebs? Idiot. If people have paid the same price for a season ticket they are entitled to the same facilities . Last season I often left main stand at half time and went to sandy in second half. It worked perfectly well, most people in sandy don't want to sit in the main stand and certainly not when we are kicking that way. It's a non issue, needs sirring

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Bar access on 15:23 - Aug 14 with 2063 viewsTVOS1907

"How quaintly English"

"Plebs"

"... going bonkers..."

Incorrect assumptions and generalisations about the type of people who frequent Sandy Lane and Spotland in general?

Further evidence of the Antipodean superiority complex that pervades most of your posts.

"I don't live in that quaint country anymore and boy are you plebs who are still there going to keep knowing about it."

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Bar access on 15:47 - Aug 14 with 2006 viewsD_Alien

Bar access on 15:23 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

"How quaintly English"

"Plebs"

"... going bonkers..."

Incorrect assumptions and generalisations about the type of people who frequent Sandy Lane and Spotland in general?

Further evidence of the Antipodean superiority complex that pervades most of your posts.

"I don't live in that quaint country anymore and boy are you plebs who are still there going to keep knowing about it."

Amply demonstrating that you can't put a good man down... under

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bar access on 22:52 - Aug 14 with 1725 viewsR17ALE

There is a trend on here of folk who once lived in Rochdale who have since moved away, of lauding it against those who have chosen to stay in Rochdale.

Those "down under" are the worst culprits. Fook off! We've sussed you. Not you peaky!

And there is a tvvat in the Czech Republic too. And others elsewhere.

There are also those who hold the club and town dear to heart. We stayed and we defend. And I suspect we always will.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024