Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke v Dale team news 19:07 - Aug 23 with 18055 viewsDaley_Lama

Stoke certainly not taking any chances tonight.

Zouma
Joe Allen
Charlie Adam
Bojan
Peter Crouch

To name but 5

Poll: DF in or out

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:17 - Aug 23 with 3652 viewsdingdangblue

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:09 - Aug 23 by SuddenLad

Wonder what happened to him.........

We've replaced him 12 months down the line with a worse version 😡

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:45 - Aug 23 with 3469 views442Dale

Goals have been on c5: Ntlhe's positional sense is a real problem. He's been here a few weeks now and that was the obvious weakness in his game from the start, needs to start learning. Fast.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:48 - Aug 23 with 3451 viewsnordenblue

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:45 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

Goals have been on c5: Ntlhe's positional sense is a real problem. He's been here a few weeks now and that was the obvious weakness in his game from the start, needs to start learning. Fast.

A defender who can't defend surrounded by similar players is a very REAL problem
Stoke v Dale team news on 22:48 - Aug 23 with 3443 viewsonedalefan

Not just him. I know it was a Premier league team but did we actually have any defenders.
Stoke v Dale team news on 23:17 - Aug 23 with 3307 viewsSandyman

Positional sense? McNulty waving his hands about, ten yards away, ineffectually, from the action when we concede has been standard for Dale for at least 6 months. But he is picked as regularly as Barrow picked Leonard. Those old enough will get the simile......

Almost a "model professional" eh, Thacks ?

Sir Keith as a former centre-half should understand this and sort it IMHO. Our defence is not up to the job.
Stoke v Dale team news on 23:31 - Aug 23 with 3247 views1907

A truly dire performance, however against a good team.

We have no leader, no organisation, no style of play & most importantly no admittance from the manager after he continually gets it wrong.

We are one of the poorest defensive teams I've seen in many a year and until Hill swallows his pride and admits what is glaringly obvious we are going to continue to regress.
Stoke v Dale team news on 23:37 - Aug 23 with 3229 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Stoke v Dale team news on 23:31 - Aug 23 by 1907

A truly dire performance, however against a good team.

We have no leader, no organisation, no style of play & most importantly no admittance from the manager after he continually gets it wrong.

We are one of the poorest defensive teams I've seen in many a year and until Hill swallows his pride and admits what is glaringly obvious we are going to continue to regress.

Nowt like a good dickin going into our Cup Final?
Stoke v Dale team news on 23:57 - Aug 23 with 3156 viewsTVOS1907

Stoke v Dale team news on 22:01 - Aug 23 by SuddenLad

Where would I be without you

Google?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Login to get fewer ads

Stoke v Dale team news on 00:30 - Aug 24 with 3067 viewsR17ALE

Stoke v Dale team news on 23:57 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

Google?

My take on it is 7 years ago we went to Birmingham and gave them a right good game. We were aggrieved to have lost. Think Birmingham won the cup that year.

Tonight we competed, but we didn't really give Stoke a game.

But, Stoke are quality. Don't believe the media myth they are thuggish. They play the game beautifully which at times would have had me purring had it not been us on the receiving end!

Stoke are probably top half Prem material these days. On a par with Everton, Leicester, and the like. And bury of course. The Stoke players can't wait to move to Carrington.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Stoke v Dale team news on 00:45 - Aug 24 with 3038 viewsJames1980

I am not familiar with Stoke particularly but I expect under Hughes. They are no longer a hoofball ball team, with a not so secret weapon of a player with a mahoosive throw

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:20 - Aug 24 with 2839 viewsNorthernDale

I watch the channel 5 goals programme from the league cup and the again the goals seem to come from attacks down the left, and that is our weakest area in defence, that is why I wonder why we have not signed a left side central defender, and nithe seemed to caught out of position as well. I accept we played a strong premiership team in Stoke, but it is still a worrying problem.

How did Williams play when he came on?

Team for Saturday

Moore (if Lillis is injured)
Rafferty, McGahey, Mcnulty, Bunney
Camps, Rathbone, Allen
Done, Davies, Henderson
Stoke v Dale team news on 07:25 - Aug 24 with 2823 viewsDaleAddict

Stoke under Hughes have been slowly trying to get way from their long ball, physical reputation for a couple of years. I think games like last night against lower league opposition are the perfect opportunity for them to continue that process, so they were never going to take the game lightly, and they put out a team that could show their home fans exactly the type of football they are capable of, which won't be as easy to achieve every week in the Prem. As R17ale says, they are an established Premiership side, they put out a strong team and if they played to their potential then there was only going to be one outcome.

I think the problem from our perspective is that our performance and the result have heaped more pressure on the bury game. Judging by all that I have read/heard before and after the game, last night was a write off almost before kick off and we have learned nothing from it going into this weekend. I think that would be fine if we had a settled starting xi and a couple of positive results (or at least performances) to our name. It seems to me that going into last night's game we were already fully focussed on bury and the fixture was an inconvenience, which is fine, but it simply puts more pressure on us to put in a performance against bury. For me last night was certainly a free hit; but a free hit to try and find a team and performance that have eluded us so far this season - we got neither, so the pressure mounts to find them this Saturday.

Blog: A Dale Fan Abroad - Reflections on Burton Albion 1 Rochdale 2

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:26 - Aug 24 with 2821 viewspnc4eva1

Stoke v Dale team news on 21:40 - Aug 23 by Dale23years

We look stronger when Keane plays in defensive midfield role
[Post edited 23 Aug 2017 21:40]

Not last night we didn't

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:58 - Aug 24 with 2735 viewsTalkingSutty

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:25 - Aug 24 by DaleAddict

Stoke under Hughes have been slowly trying to get way from their long ball, physical reputation for a couple of years. I think games like last night against lower league opposition are the perfect opportunity for them to continue that process, so they were never going to take the game lightly, and they put out a team that could show their home fans exactly the type of football they are capable of, which won't be as easy to achieve every week in the Prem. As R17ale says, they are an established Premiership side, they put out a strong team and if they played to their potential then there was only going to be one outcome.

I think the problem from our perspective is that our performance and the result have heaped more pressure on the bury game. Judging by all that I have read/heard before and after the game, last night was a write off almost before kick off and we have learned nothing from it going into this weekend. I think that would be fine if we had a settled starting xi and a couple of positive results (or at least performances) to our name. It seems to me that going into last night's game we were already fully focussed on bury and the fixture was an inconvenience, which is fine, but it simply puts more pressure on us to put in a performance against bury. For me last night was certainly a free hit; but a free hit to try and find a team and performance that have eluded us so far this season - we got neither, so the pressure mounts to find them this Saturday.

I think the opposite, i don't think it increases the pressure at all. Stoke away just before a local derby was always going to be a 3 or 4 nil defeat in my book so it was expected. The Bury game as come at the right time i think and let's not forget,they are probably under more pressure to get a result than we are. The Galacticos of League One are not living up to expectations and with Clark as manager who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

A lot of the fans have written this defence off,we've watched it long enough to know that as a unit it isn't up to scratch week in week out and it's been like that for a long time. We have other strengths though, a dynamic midfield and attacking players who are always capable of scoring goals, then we have Spotland, we are good on our own pitch. Play to our strengths on Saturday and get them on the back foot from the start, they don't deserve any respect or 'talking up', a cautious approach just let's them settle into the game.Simplify the game for the defenders (get rid) and get the ball to the forwards, play in their half and for gods sake no red cards!!

They are fragile and this is the type of game that could kick start our season, we've seen all this before.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2017 8:07]
Stoke v Dale team news on 08:37 - Aug 24 with 2639 viewsD_Alien

Let's not forget that after Stoke were dumped out of the FA Cup 0-2 by Wolves in the 3rd round last January, Mark Hughes was seething and vowed his team wouldn't underperform against lower league opposition again

I don't see last night as having any bearing on the bury game; just pleased we came through without further injuries/cards
[Post edited 24 Aug 2017 8:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stoke v Dale team news on 08:47 - Aug 24 with 2601 viewsTVOS1907

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:58 - Aug 24 by TalkingSutty

I think the opposite, i don't think it increases the pressure at all. Stoke away just before a local derby was always going to be a 3 or 4 nil defeat in my book so it was expected. The Bury game as come at the right time i think and let's not forget,they are probably under more pressure to get a result than we are. The Galacticos of League One are not living up to expectations and with Clark as manager who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

A lot of the fans have written this defence off,we've watched it long enough to know that as a unit it isn't up to scratch week in week out and it's been like that for a long time. We have other strengths though, a dynamic midfield and attacking players who are always capable of scoring goals, then we have Spotland, we are good on our own pitch. Play to our strengths on Saturday and get them on the back foot from the start, they don't deserve any respect or 'talking up', a cautious approach just let's them settle into the game.Simplify the game for the defenders (get rid) and get the ball to the forwards, play in their half and for gods sake no red cards!!

They are fragile and this is the type of game that could kick start our season, we've seen all this before.

I'm concerned that we don't look 'capable of scoring goals' at the moment.

OK, we were up against Premier League defenders last night, but taking the season as a whole, we look very toothless in attack.

We are definitely missing a Mendez-Laing type player. I suppose Williams and Done have the potential to do that role, but we haven't seen it from either of them yet.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Stoke v Dale team news on 08:50 - Aug 24 with 2600 viewsDaleiLama

A view from the other side.

Let's hope that work rate and some better finishing tips the balance our way on Saturday

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stoke v Dale team news on 09:26 - Aug 24 with 2503 viewsTalkingSutty

Stoke v Dale team news on 08:47 - Aug 24 by TVOS1907

OK, we were up against Premier League defenders last night, but taking the season as a whole, we look very toothless in attack.

We are definitely missing a Mendez-Laing type player. I suppose Williams and Done have the potential to do that role, but we haven't seen it from either of them yet.

I know what u are saying but when you look at the individuals in the foward positions there are plenty of goals there. Bunney is a big loss, he provides great service from the wing and Andrew is also pivotal to the team both in attack and defence. I worry the deficiencies in our defence will lead to other components of the team losing there mojo and becoming demoralised.
Stoke v Dale team news on 09:53 - Aug 24 with 2421 views1907

Stoke v Dale team news on 08:47 - Aug 24 by TVOS1907

It was concerning that going into the back end of last season pretty much every goal scored was by Mendez or made by Mendez
Stoke v Dale team news on 09:56 - Aug 24 with 2403 viewsDaleAddict

100% agreed with the 'play to our strengths' comment. It's that line of thought that gives me concerns about our use of the so-called defensive midfield player. I think that role is detracting from our attacking strengths, and indeed invites the opposition to exploit our defensive weaknesses. It sounds logical to try to protect a suspect backline but it's doing more harm than good. A team that can't defend shouldn't try to play a defensive game as the inevitable will almost certainly happen, especially considering we need to score at least two goals at the moment to get a win.

Losing Mendez-Laing is almost as big a factor in our slow start as our defensive woes, in my opinion. Any League One side who loses an attacking player who is clearly Championship standard is going to lose a lot of attacking impetus, especially while we get used to playing without him and finding an attacking system that works without him in it. This is especially true of a side on our budget, who has to develop young players and rough diamonds throughout the course of a season, as Hill has always done with great success. Logically however this lends itself to starting seasons off slowly. The same could be said for Lund, to a lesser extent, who has also gone on to Championship football. We certainly still have the quality in the squad that makes me believe we will only ever be a game or two away from getting it right and obviously we all hope that it comes right on Saturday in what has already become a very big game (more so than usual) for both sides so early in the season.

Blog: A Dale Fan Abroad - Reflections on Burton Albion 1 Rochdale 2

Stoke v Dale team news on 10:21 - Aug 24 with 2329 viewsdingdangblue

Hopefully Moore's confidence hasn't been knocked too much by conceding 7 in 2 games. Lillis will be a huge miss on Saturday if he's still injured with his record v bury (never conceded a league goal).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Stoke v Dale team news on 10:43 - Aug 24 with 2266 viewsTVOS1907

Stoke v Dale team news on 09:26 - Aug 24 by TalkingSutty

I know what u are saying but when you look at the individuals in the foward positions there are plenty of goals there. Bunney is a big loss, he provides great service from the wing and Andrew is also pivotal to the team both in attack and defence. I worry the deficiencies in our defence will lead to other components of the team losing there mojo and becoming demoralised.

That's why I said 'at the moment'.

Stoke v Dale team news on 11:31 - Aug 24 with 2163 viewsDaveDave

Stoke v Dale team news on 07:58 - Aug 24 by TalkingSutty

How can you call them fragile, have you forgotten that they won the FA Cup 6-0 in 1903?
.......Well, I suppose that was quite a long time ago.

"Over Hill, over Dale." Shakespeare’s 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

Stoke v Dale team news on 12:24 - Aug 24 with 2052 viewsgrey_man

I'm a Stoke fan known to at least one of you (Hi Daley!)

Read the comments with interest. To begin with, we didn't really put out a team that was 'not taking any chances'. There were 8 changes from the weekend and of the 5 players listed by Daley, only two are nailed on to start the next game. The nature of the Premier League these days unfortunately. We've essentially got two teams capable of playing at that level and even they can't hope to keep up with the big clubs.

I know Daley from back in the days when we were at the level you're at now and you had a whole Division named after you so thing are very much different now. I just wish a few more of our fans would remember where we've come from and where we might go back to. We're a lot more complacent and entitled than we were ten years ago.

It's interesting to see that the myths about us persist. We've not really played the way some think for some time now and even under Pulis, it wasn't always entirely true. It might change in my lifetime, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I know we battered you, but if it helps, I've seen Stoke taken apart in similar fashion by Spurs and Chelsea etc on a regular basis so there's not only a big gulf between our level of the Premier League and League One, but another between where we are and the top 4 or 5. We can't bridge that, but it's possible for you to do it to our level, as has been proven.

Liked your left back, your fans were great, hope they had a decent day anyway. Now go f&%@ yourselves. :)
[Post edited 24 Aug 2017 12:25]
Stoke v Dale team news on 12:30 - Aug 24 with 2027 viewsTVOS1907

Stoke v Dale team news on 12:24 - Aug 24 by grey_man

I'm a Stoke fan known to at least one of you (Hi Daley!)

Read the comments with interest. To begin with, we didn't really put out a team that was 'not taking any chances'. There were 8 changes from the weekend and of the 5 players listed by Daley, only two are nailed on to start the next game. The nature of the Premier League these days unfortunately. We've essentially got two teams capable of playing at that level and even they can't hope to keep up with the big clubs.

I know Daley from back in the days when we were at the level you're at now and you had a whole Division named after you so thing are very much different now. I just wish a few more of our fans would remember where we've come from and where we might go back to. We're a lot more complacent and entitled than we were ten years ago.

It's interesting to see that the myths about us persist. We've not really played the way some think for some time now and even under Pulis, it wasn't always entirely true. It might change in my lifetime, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I know we battered you, but if it helps, I've seen Stoke taken apart in similar fashion by Spurs and Chelsea etc on a regular basis so there's not only a big gulf between our level of the Premier League and League One, but another between where we are and the top 4 or 5. We can't bridge that, but it's possible for you to do it to our level, as has been proven.

Liked your left back, your fans were great, hope they had a decent day anyway. Now go f&%@ yourselves. :)
[Post edited 24 Aug 2017 12:25]

Cheers grey man.

I've always thought it was a myth about how Stoke played the game and last night just confirmed it. It was something perpetuated by the likes of Arsenal after they took another battering at your hands.

I've consoled myself with the fact that there were quite a number of teams conceding four this week, including last season's League One champions. As soon as I saw the two teams, it was obvious it would be a difficult night from our perspective, particularly given the way we've been performing defensively so far.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024