Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ben Stokes 22:54 - Sep 27 with 11406 viewsDaley_Lama

Don't know what the fuss is all about having seen the video all over the t'interweb.

Bloke trying to hit his mate, Ben steps in and puts the violent fellow down. The aggressor's mates get involve and cop some too.

Proper chap, bring on the convicts.

Poll: DF in or out

Ben Stokes on 23:15 - Sep 27 with 6659 viewsD_Alien

Couldn't agree more

Top level sportsmen are entitled to a night out as much as anyone, providing it doesn't interfere with their on-field performance, and are also entitled to enjoy themselves without interference from no-marks

As for setting an example, i can see all our youngsters rushing to nightclubs for a spot of fisticuffs on the back of this... and fine if they do, providing they can also score match-changing centuries and bowl unplayable spells in between

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ben Stokes on 23:22 - Sep 27 with 6640 views442Dale

It carries on and on and on.

It's embarrassing. I'm sure Stokes would agree.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ben Stokes on 08:40 - Sep 28 with 6414 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ben Stokes on 23:22 - Sep 27 by 442Dale

You hear the bottle drop as stokes defends, who I assume is Alex hales, who does absolutely nothing other than say enough a lot. He does not stick the boot in or hit the guy on the ground, you will see this every Saturday night in most towns, it will be a caution at worst!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ben Stokes on 10:18 - Sep 28 with 6317 viewsRAFCBLUE

Ben Stokes on 23:22 - Sep 27 by 442Dale

Good of The Sun to flout the rules surrounding contempt of court by displaying the prosecution's key piece of evidence.

No doubt there is a proven charge of ABH simply from the evidence ein the clip, however Stokes can now rely on not getting a fair trial and the charges dropped.

Hayles will wade in with evidence too to back up Stokes but utterly stupid from a talented player to be involved in that.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Ben Stokes on 11:02 - Sep 28 with 6259 viewsD_Alien

Ben Stokes on 10:18 - Sep 28 by RAFCBLUE

Good of The Sun to flout the rules surrounding contempt of court by displaying the prosecution's key piece of evidence.

No doubt there is a proven charge of ABH simply from the evidence ein the clip, however Stokes can now rely on not getting a fair trial and the charges dropped.

Hayles will wade in with evidence too to back up Stokes but utterly stupid from a talented player to be involved in that.

Good point about video implications. I agree it's a bit stupid to become embroiled but certainly not embarrassing - just the typical reactions of a young man being provoked after a few drinks

All talk of it damaging his immediate or longer-term future with England - now that's embarrassing, although there shouldn't be further episodes since he'll now be targeted even more by losers. Hopefully he'll find a way to maintain his on-field performances too without incurring conduct points - a system that would've seen most of the world's top cricketing sides decimated in the past, and the game of cricket replaced by rounders (played by all-rounders?)

On a similar point, it was great to see Hendo emerging from the all-in wrestling match near the corner flag at the end of the Blackpool game cardless, and without undue reaction. Well done Hendo

Ben Stokes on 12:27 - Sep 28 with 6131 viewsTipperaryDale

Feb 2013 Stokes and team-mate Matt Coles are sent home from an England Lions tour to Australia for late night drinking, ignoring a written warning they received earlier in the tour.

March 2014 Stokes fractures his right hand after punching a locker in frustration during an England tour of the West Indies. He misses the World Twenty20.

April 2015 Stokes’s verbal spat with West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels results in Samuels giving an ironic salute to Stokes during a Test match in St George’s.

Oct 2016 Stokes is fined and receives a demerit point on his disciplinary record after an exchange with Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman.

Nov 2016 Stokes receives an official reprimand from the ICC after an exchange with India captain Virat Kohli during a Test match in Mohali.

Aug 2017 Stokes is reprimanded for using “obscene, offensive or insulting” language towards a referee during England’s Test match against the West Indies.

Sep 2017 Arrested by police on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm after an incident in Bristol which left a man with facial injuries.
Ben Stokes on 13:01 - Sep 28 with 6066 viewsDale23years

The Guy deserved it, well done Strokes !!!!!!

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Ben Stokes on 14:07 - Sep 28 with 5974 viewsD_Alien

Ben Stokes on 12:27 - Sep 28 by TipperaryDale

Feb 2013 Stokes and team-mate Matt Coles are sent home from an England Lions tour to Australia for late night drinking, ignoring a written warning they received earlier in the tour.

March 2014 Stokes fractures his right hand after punching a locker in frustration during an England tour of the West Indies. He misses the World Twenty20.

April 2015 Stokes’s verbal spat with West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels results in Samuels giving an ironic salute to Stokes during a Test match in St George’s.

Oct 2016 Stokes is fined and receives a demerit point on his disciplinary record after an exchange with Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman.

Nov 2016 Stokes receives an official reprimand from the ICC after an exchange with India captain Virat Kohli during a Test match in Mohali.

Aug 2017 Stokes is reprimanded for using “obscene, offensive or insulting” language towards a referee during England’s Test match against the West Indies.

Sep 2017 Arrested by police on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm after an incident in Bristol which left a man with facial injuries.

Dec 2013 - 120 at the WACA

Jan 2014 - 6/99 at Sydney

May 2015 - 101 & 92 v NZ at Lord's

Aug 2015 - 6/36 v Australia at Trent Bridge

Jan 2016 - 258 in SA

Nov 2016 - 128 in India

Nov 2016 - 5/73 in India

Jul 2017 - 112 v SA at the Oval

Aug 2017 - 100 v WI at Headingley

Sep 2017 - 6/22 v WI at Lord's

Conclusion: if you want your sporting heroes to all be polite and equable characters, go watch croquet

Login to get fewer ads

Ben Stokes on 14:38 - Sep 28 with 5939 viewsMoonyDale

Ben Stokes on 14:07 - Sep 28 by D_Alien

Jan 2016 - 258 in SA

Nov 2016 - 128 in India

Nov 2016 - 5/73 in India

Conclusion: if you want your sporting heroes to all be polite and equable characters, go watch croquet

Brilliant post, he did no different to what I would have done in the same situation. He doesn't take crap from numpties who think they can take on the world after a few pints. And he has taken enough sledging on the cricket pitch, if those that dish it out can't take it back without resorting to crying about it to the umpires or the governing body then tough. Some people need to fkin man up and grow a pair.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Ben Stokes on 16:04 - Sep 28 with 5852 viewsColDale

Thanks the Sun for sensationalising it today making it front page news and putting pressure on the ECB to do something. There's been no new developments in the case since he was named in the squad, so its hard to look beyond today's front page as sparking this decision. Shouldn't be surprised though.
Ben Stokes on 16:14 - Sep 28 with 5837 viewsRAFCBLUE

Despite the presence of alcohol and mutual provocation Stokes is silly to be involved or anywhere near that.

As a high profile sportsman he can have arrangements made to get him home, minders (if he wanted) and ways of having a bit of R&R that does not end with an arrest and a video that is published all over the web which seems to suggest he chases the other party.

Part of the counter to the priviledged life of a sports person is the annoyance of the general public and the occasional wide boy who wants to use your fame to have a pop. The best sports people deal with it or manage to avoid it. The Steven Gerrard case in Southport showed what can and does happen - Gerrard acquited but not after putting himself in a place that he didn't need to be.

Whatever transpired in Bristol, there is no excuse for Stokes running down the street after the guy. Defend yourself, stand your ground but don't be the aggressor.

Suspension by England pending the police investigation is standard; the ECB have commercial sponsors that won't want this type of publicity and have a process to follow.

He'll get a slap on the wrists I expect but its an unneeded and unnecessary distraction ahead of the Ashes.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Ben Stokes on 16:52 - Sep 28 with 5780 viewsRoChDaLe

Have a feeling if it was Wayne Rooney you lot wouldn't be saying the same.

how is anthony elding still in league one?

Ben Stokes on 16:57 - Sep 28 with 5760 viewssince58

Ben Stokes on 14:07 - Sep 28 by D_Alien

Jan 2016 - 258 in SA

Nov 2016 - 128 in India

Nov 2016 - 5/73 in India

The Aussies will be laughing there cocks off.This is why they are winners and we are nearly always also rans.Its absolute b@ll@cks.
Ben Stokes on 17:00 - Sep 28 with 5750 viewsKenBoon

Ben Stokes on 16:57 - Sep 28 by since58

The Aussies will be laughing there cocks off.This is why they are winners and we are nearly always also rans.Its absolute b@ll@cks.

Didn't they lose last time?

the sun are a bunch of cocks, but it's hard to justify that last punch. Any self-defence had long since ended.
Ben Stokes on 17:21 - Sep 28 with 5709 viewsTipperaryDale

Worth noting that the Aussie authorities in recent times have had a very dim view of "coward punches", after a spate of deaths a couple of years ago - there's a good chance Stokes wouldn't be allowed into Australia if found guilty.
Ben Stokes on 17:35 - Sep 28 with 5682 viewsD_Alien

Ben Stokes on 17:21 - Sep 28 by TipperaryDale

Worth noting that the Aussie authorities in recent times have had a very dim view of "coward punches", after a spate of deaths a couple of years ago - there's a good chance Stokes wouldn't be allowed into Australia if found guilty.

We all have a very dim view of "coward punches" but the dim lighting in the video (if it's proven to involve Stokes) is clear enough to show there was no "coward punching" involved, unless your definition of it is different from the accepted one?

Ben Stokes on 17:47 - Sep 28 with 5656 viewsThacks_Rabbits

The guy had a bottle, clearly he had not gone after Stokes to start with, and he was defending his mate/s.

He never chases anyone, he just, in fairness, ensures that he is in control of the issues.

He moves people away from the guys he is protecting (Hales and another) , who do nothing wrong in the video.

Maybe he can look after himself and Hales cannot - I wont pass judgement, but I have more respect for him for defending his friend, against a guy holding a weapon, than some one who feels its easier to turn away.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ben Stokes on 17:47 - Sep 28 with 5659 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ben Stokes on 17:35 - Sep 28 by D_Alien

We all have a very dim view of "coward punches" but the dim lighting in the video (if it's proven to involve Stokes) is clear enough to show there was no "coward punching" involved, unless your definition of it is different from the accepted one?

I think coward punching would be punching someone who no longer wants to engage in the fight, isn't expecting the punch and doesn't have their guard up. All things attributable to the last few punches.

Fair enough he was defending his mate and the other guy was stupid to involve a bottle but the fight was over at that point at Stokes wanted physical retribution when he ought to have let the authorities handle it.
Ben Stokes on 17:53 - Sep 28 with 5639 viewsD_Alien

Ben Stokes on 17:47 - Sep 28 by VivaDonaldo

I think coward punching would be punching someone who no longer wants to engage in the fight, isn't expecting the punch and doesn't have their guard up. All things attributable to the last few punches.

Fair enough he was defending his mate and the other guy was stupid to involve a bottle but the fight was over at that point at Stokes wanted physical retribution when he ought to have let the authorities handle it.

Coward punching is when an assailant unexpectedly, and without warning or immediate provocation, punches an unsuspecting individual

There was no coward punching in the video

What you've described is someone bottling out of a confrontation when they've sized up their opponent - after provoking him

Ben Stokes on 18:03 - Sep 28 with 5614 viewsThe_DJ

If England are to win in Australia they need streetfighters not pussys.
Let due process of Law take place and then move on.
Ben Stokes on 18:16 - Sep 28 with 5580 viewsKingstdale

Have I seen a different video to you all?? Regardless of the earlier handbags,,,Stokes at the end has dropped a bloke that was backing off and had his hands up.
Ben Stokes on 18:17 - Sep 28 with 5572 viewsdownunder

Ben Stokes on 10:18 - Sep 28 by RAFCBLUE

What if he had not got involved like that? Concussion? Broken bottle and slashed neck?

OK so perhaps then the red mist has descended, but as others have said, he only threw punches. He was brought up in a Rugby League environment in Christchurch, (believe me, it is "full on" here) moved to Workington, again a pretty tough area from my own experience.
He looked after his mate and he looked after himself.
If you want to stop this happening, ban night clubs and alcohol.
It is arguable that he puts himself in these positions, but it is his choice, and I defend his right to that choice.
Ben Stokes on 18:20 - Sep 28 with 5565 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ben Stokes on 17:53 - Sep 28 by D_Alien

Coward punching is when an assailant unexpectedly, and without warning or immediate provocation, punches an unsuspecting individual

There was no coward punching in the video

What you've described is someone bottling out of a confrontation when they've sized up their opponent - after provoking him

You're talking nonsense there. The guy was not anticipating the punch at all at the end. He was backing away and Stokes had gone from self defence to aggressor.

The act of punching someone unawares like that is the dangerous action as it makes it more likely he would be rendered unconscious and not in control of how he lands on what would be an very hard surface.
Ben Stokes on 18:25 - Sep 28 with 5552 viewsD_Alien

Ben Stokes on 18:20 - Sep 28 by VivaDonaldo

You're talking nonsense there. The guy was not anticipating the punch at all at the end. He was backing away and Stokes had gone from self defence to aggressor.

The act of punching someone unawares like that is the dangerous action as it makes it more likely he would be rendered unconscious and not in control of how he lands on what would be an very hard surface.

I'm afraid it's you who's talking nonsense, and I'd have to question why you're more interested in defending those who provoke high-profile individuals and then try to back out when they find they've bitten off more than they can chew?

I've been "coward punched" - about 10 minutes after taking issue with a bloke who was trying to jump the coats queue on the way out of a nightclub. He waited, hidden behind a pillar outside until I was walking past

I can tell you, in no uncertain terms, what we can see in the video is a million miles from a coward punch

Ben Stokes on 18:33 - Sep 28 with 5518 viewsVivaDonaldo

Ben Stokes on 18:25 - Sep 28 by D_Alien

I'm afraid it's you who's talking nonsense, and I'd have to question why you're more interested in defending those who provoke high-profile individuals and then try to back out when they find they've bitten off more than they can chew?

I've been "coward punched" - about 10 minutes after taking issue with a bloke who was trying to jump the coats queue on the way out of a nightclub. He waited, hidden behind a pillar outside until I was walking past

I can tell you, in no uncertain terms, what we can see in the video is a million miles from a coward punch

You're going to have to help me here and point to where I've defwnded him?

I've said that the authorities should have been left to deal with it.

I'm very sorry that this has happened to you but this man obviously regretted his part in the altercation, had his hands down and was not expecting that punch.

Stokes had turned aggressor, was out of control and was dangerous.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024