Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got bored 23:02 - Oct 11 with 7843 viewsjoecooke

Where was the toughest part of Rochdale in your opinion?

Personally having lived on ashfield valley,i thought brimrod was harder!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Got bored on 23:07 - Oct 11 with 5154 viewsfitzochris

Bamford, all day long. I once got a severe ticking off for cutting across someone's lawn and disturbing the petunias.

Made me the man I am today, did that.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Got bored on 23:09 - Oct 11 with 5147 viewsjoecooke

i cant believe youve been allowed to post from Bamford,

Though it would explain the self righteous ness
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 23:21]

Got bored on 23:37 - Oct 11 with 5102 viewspioneer

Got bored on 23:09 - Oct 11 by joecooke

kirkholt had its 'characters' and came top of the worst council estates in the country during the Thatcher years. I escaped, with both ears intact, at 18.
Got bored on 00:10 - Oct 12 with 5076 viewsSandyman

Belfield had its moments.
Got bored on 00:35 - Oct 12 with 5055 viewskiwidale

I started off life up Ings lane never a problem the odd bad egg petty tea leaf etc but no thugs or bullies to speak of. at age 12 lived on Meadway again never had any problems them moved to Bamford/Norden in my teens. As a married man lived in Littleborough and Deeplish and spent a lot of time with mates in Milnrow and Newhey without living there. Ive never felt threatened wherever I lived but Brimrod had some hard lads and a reputation to match also ashhy valley flats was a shit hole from the start a planning disaster that the town is still paying for. The best place to live was Norden/Bamford nice house nice street etc but the place I would chose to live is Milnrow great lads great pubs.

This is not the time for bickering.

Got bored on 01:57 - Oct 12 with 5008 viewsdownunder

Got bored on 00:35 - Oct 12 by kiwidale

I started off life up Ings lane never a problem the odd bad egg petty tea leaf etc but no thugs or bullies to speak of. at age 12 lived on Meadway again never had any problems them moved to Bamford/Norden in my teens. As a married man lived in Littleborough and Deeplish and spent a lot of time with mates in Milnrow and Newhey without living there. Ive never felt threatened wherever I lived but Brimrod had some hard lads and a reputation to match also ashhy valley flats was a shit hole from the start a planning disaster that the town is still paying for. The best place to live was Norden/Bamford nice house nice street etc but the place I would chose to live is Milnrow great lads great pubs.

A fair assessment
. I drove Taxis, part time, for a while, and Wallbank in Whitworth had worst reputation amongst the drivers.
Going of at a tangent, the so called "poor" areas...Belfield, Kirkholt Greave, Ings Lane and so on, were where 90% of the fares came from. So not poor after all.
Got bored on 07:40 - Oct 12 with 4888 viewsfitzochris

Got bored on 23:09 - Oct 11 by joecooke

I'm neither from Bamford nor posting from there.

My self righteousness is all my own work.

Got bored on 07:41 - Oct 12 with 4886 viewsfitzochris

Got bored on 23:37 - Oct 11 by pioneer

kirkholt had its 'characters' and came top of the worst council estates in the country during the Thatcher years. I escaped, with both ears intact, at 18.

A lot of decent folk live in Kirkholt. Decent working men's club about 10 years ago too.

Login to get fewer ads

Got bored on 07:43 - Oct 12 with 4879 viewsEllDale

When I was brought up on Kirkholt in the late 1950's all the council estates were relatively new and a lot of people in other parts of the town envied the inside toilets and gardens.

I don't think the youths who lived there were particularly scared of anyone but were wary of lads from Brimrod, Brotherod, Turf Hill and Belfield.

They used to tell tales of one major confrontation on Daventry Road when the lads from Brimrod came en masse to settle a dispute but I'm not sure who won!.
Got bored on 07:47 - Oct 12 with 4871 viewsjoecooke

Got bored on 07:40 - Oct 12 by fitzochris

I'm neither from Bamford nor posting from there.

My self righteousness is all my own work.

Forgive me for having a pop, too many beers and the Brimrod in me !

Got bored on 07:50 - Oct 12 with 4866 viewsnordenblue

Got bored on 07:41 - Oct 12 by fitzochris

A lot of decent folk live in Kirkholt. Decent working men's club about 10 years ago too.

Thats long since been fattened,Ashy Valley was a delight too,Green Meadow near Wardle High has turned into a splendid place too.... if you want to buy some illegal "gear"....
Got bored on 07:53 - Oct 12 with 4861 viewsmingthemerciless

Got bored on 01:57 - Oct 12 by downunder

A fair assessment
. I drove Taxis, part time, for a while, and Wallbank in Whitworth had worst reputation amongst the drivers.
Going of at a tangent, the so called "poor" areas...Belfield, Kirkholt Greave, Ings Lane and so on, were where 90% of the fares came from. So not poor after all.

Maybe most of the occupants of those estates didn't have access to cars in those days. I lived on Ashfield Valley for a while when I first got married in the early 1970's. I was on about £30 a week, my wife was on about £17-50 a week and the rent for a two bed flat was roughly £3.50. Happy days.
Got bored on 10:13 - Oct 12 with 4708 viewsParkinsGimp

Brimrod...seriously LOL
Got bored on 10:25 - Oct 12 with 4679 viewsChaffRAFC

When I was growing up the Newhey lads had a reputation and thought they were solid but so did the Cray lads in Milnrow.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Got bored on 11:00 - Oct 12 with 4630 viewsShun

I've genuinely never felt threatened anywhere in Rochdale, but places like Kirkholt, Belfield, and the place up the hill from the library and below Healey Dell (Brotherod?) aren't exactly nice areas, and my district nurse friends tell me there's an area in Deeplish where on all the signs is tarnished the motif, 'no whites after dark.'

As I said though I've never felt intimidated in any of these places, not like places in Heywood where I feel like I'm taking my life in my own hands if I want a Domino's.
Got bored on 18:23 - Oct 12 with 4237 viewsrochdaleriddler

Got bored on 01:57 - Oct 12 by downunder

A fair assessment

That's a new one, taxi use = wealth

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Got bored on 18:50 - Oct 12 with 4208 viewsMoonyDale

In my time I have lived on Kirkholt, Ashfield Valley and Bellfield. In the early and mid 70s Kirkholt had some very handy lads and quite a few battles were fought against Cliff Newby and his Turf Hill mob, tooled up battles too...Steff Conway up Kirkholt had a sheer hatred of anyone from down the rd in Turf Hill. was involved in some pretty serious battles on the Valley during the 80s after leaving the army....Mostly revenge set to's against some chaps who misbehaved...Ste Morgan from Kirkholt was a handy lad, we all grew up a bit since then . Never really felt unsafe anywhere though, most of the aggression was taken out on the rugby pitch after that... Nowadays I guess you will run into more trouble in town on a Saturday night than on any of the estates in the town....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Got bored on 19:49 - Oct 12 with 4120 viewsflyerdale

Got bored on 11:00 - Oct 12 by Shun

I've genuinely never felt threatened anywhere in Rochdale, but places like Kirkholt, Belfield, and the place up the hill from the library and below Healey Dell (Brotherod?) aren't exactly nice areas, and my district nurse friends tell me there's an area in Deeplish where on all the signs is tarnished the motif, 'no whites after dark.'

As I said though I've never felt intimidated in any of these places, not like places in Heywood where I feel like I'm taking my life in my own hands if I want a Domino's.

Where are these signs in deeplish? I've never seen them. Think somebody is telling you porkies
Got bored on 20:16 - Oct 12 with 4075 viewsArthurDaley

Got bored on 00:10 - Oct 12 by Sandyman

Belfield had its moments.

Some of the women on Belfield scared me.

A large VAT Dave

Got bored on 21:41 - Oct 12 with 3982 viewsdownunder

Got bored on 18:50 - Oct 12 by MoonyDale

In my time I have lived on Kirkholt, Ashfield Valley and Bellfield. In the early and mid 70s Kirkholt had some very handy lads and quite a few battles were fought against Cliff Newby and his Turf Hill mob, tooled up battles too...Steff Conway up Kirkholt had a sheer hatred of anyone from down the rd in Turf Hill. was involved in some pretty serious battles on the Valley during the 80s after leaving the army....Mostly revenge set to's against some chaps who misbehaved...Ste Morgan from Kirkholt was a handy lad, we all grew up a bit since then . Never really felt unsafe anywhere though, most of the aggression was taken out on the rugby pitch after that... Nowadays I guess you will run into more trouble in town on a Saturday night than on any of the estates in the town....

I had to "play" Stef Conway in the 6th form concert at Baldy. Wonder where he ended up?
Also from Kirkholt was Dave Russell. He became, I believe, a multi millionaire via Farouche Kitchens, and then Lemonpark building. Does not matter where you were born.
Got bored on 21:58 - Oct 12 with 3956 viewsrobtheb

Got bored on 07:41 - Oct 12 by fitzochris

And looking good around The Strand area. Lot of building work going on there.
No pub or club now but I heard that one is going in the new building.....correct me if I am wrong.
Got bored on 22:05 - Oct 12 with 3947 viewsfitzochris

Got bored on 21:58 - Oct 12 by robtheb

And looking good around The Strand area. Lot of building work going on there.
No pub or club now but I heard that one is going in the new building.....correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know about that, but I used to love the WMC. I enjoyed a few games of snooker in there with good folk.

Got bored on 23:40 - Oct 12 with 3840 viewsAtThePeake

Got bored on 11:00 - Oct 12 by Shun

Dominos is in the nice part of town...

Tangled up in blue.

Got bored on 07:54 - Oct 13 with 3715 viewsEllDale

I had a short spell on the committee of Kirkholt WMC in the 1980's. There were plenty of lovely members there. A lot of the older ones had done house to house collections in the 1950's to fund the building of the original club. Shame it's gone now but I suppose that most of them have died off or moved.

Never went anywhere near the "Lord Howard" though. Is it still there?
Got bored on 09:27 - Oct 13 with 3637 views100notout

Got bored on 07:54 - Oct 13 by EllDale

I had a short spell on the committee of Kirkholt WMC in the 1980's. There were plenty of lovely members there. A lot of the older ones had done house to house collections in the 1950's to fund the building of the original club. Shame it's gone now but I suppose that most of them have died off or moved.

Never went anywhere near the "Lord Howard" though. Is it still there?

I remember going there to see "The Drifters" some time in the 80's. There were one or two of the original members of the band there - top night.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024