Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got bored 23:02 - Oct 11 with 7751 viewsjoecooke

Where was the toughest part of Rochdale in your opinion?

Personally having lived on ashfield valley,i thought brimrod was harder!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Got bored on 12:18 - Oct 13 with 2648 viewsbig_dave

The Lord Howard was knocked down about 13 year ago and they built a shop on the land..
Got bored on 23:56 - Oct 14 with 2374 viewsTVOS1907

Got bored on 11:00 - Oct 12 by Shun

I've genuinely never felt threatened anywhere in Rochdale, but places like Kirkholt, Belfield, and the place up the hill from the library and below Healey Dell (Brotherod?) aren't exactly nice areas, and my district nurse friends tell me there's an area in Deeplish where on all the signs is tarnished the motif, 'no whites after dark.'

As I said though I've never felt intimidated in any of these places, not like places in Heywood where I feel like I'm taking my life in my own hands if I want a Domino's.

Surely they do deliveries?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Got bored on 08:12 - Oct 15 with 2312 viewsroccydaleian

Got bored on 00:10 - Oct 12 by Sandyman

Belfield had its moments.

You was an imposter. Not proper Belfield unless you had a scrap in the Printers, Mayfield or Blood Tub.
Got bored on 12:32 - Oct 15 with 2248 viewsShun

Got bored on 23:56 - Oct 14 by TVOS1907

Surely they do deliveries?

You have to wait hours then!
Got bored on 13:17 - Oct 15 with 2226 viewsD_Alien

Got bored on 12:32 - Oct 15 by Shun

I thought TVOS meant your district nursing friends, confusing them with midwives

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Got bored on 15:32 - Oct 15 with 2150 viewsNigeriamark

Got bored on 08:12 - Oct 15 by roccydaleian

You was an imposter. Not proper Belfield unless you had a scrap in the Printers, Mayfield or Blood Tub.

The Printers - Not the place to take a girl to to impress her. I used to take them to St Johns tavern instead !!!! Only place a saw an 80 year old get thrown out for fighting
Got bored on 15:44 - Oct 15 with 2136 viewsArthurDaley

Got bored on 08:12 - Oct 15 by roccydaleian

Printers , happy days, it was very genteel when you went in Rocky, Not like the good old days when I went in.

A large VAT Dave

Got bored on 16:06 - Oct 15 with 2107 viewsD_Alien

Got bored on 15:32 - Oct 15 by Nigeriamark

The Printers - Not the place to take a girl to to impress her. I used to take them to St Johns tavern instead !!!! Only place a saw an 80 year old get thrown out for fighting

St. John's Tavern? On Ann St, opposite the entrance to the school? OMG!

What was it like inside? It had a mysterious allure when I was at St. John's, we used to wonder what went on in there since we never saw anyone going in or coming out!

Login to get fewer ads

Got bored on 18:28 - Oct 15 with 2014 viewsmingthemerciless

On a slightly different tack, I see " The Tanners " at the bottom of Whitworth Road is boarded up and has " For Sale " signs up.
Got bored on 19:35 - Oct 15 with 1972 views1mark1

Got bored on 16:06 - Oct 15 by D_Alien

St. John's Tavern? On Ann St, opposite the entrance to the school? OMG!

What was it like inside? It had a mysterious allure when I was at St. John's, we used to wonder what went on in there since we never saw anyone going in or coming out!

St John’s Tavern was a decent pub, bit rough and ready but no real problems if you kept your nose clean. If you were a gobby 18 yo who was pissed after a couple of pints, and tried to cause trouble, then you would literally be shown the door. If you went in to just have a drink and keep yourself to yourself then you would have no problems. That was the same with the Queens, Brown Cow, Corporation and other pubs around that area. There were loads of characters in these places, and some real hard people, men and women, who if bothered would sort the vast majority of people out if they needed to. These pubs of course were not your trendy places, but working class pubs, with working class people enjoying a few pints or spirits at a low decent price.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2017 19:36]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Got bored on 19:37 - Oct 15 with 1968 viewsTVOS1907

Got bored on 12:32 - Oct 15 by Shun

Get your order in two hours before you want it.

There are always solutions!

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Got bored on 22:34 - Oct 15 with 1875 viewsD_Alien

Got bored on 19:35 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

St John’s Tavern was a decent pub, bit rough and ready but no real problems if you kept your nose clean. If you were a gobby 18 yo who was pissed after a couple of pints, and tried to cause trouble, then you would literally be shown the door. If you went in to just have a drink and keep yourself to yourself then you would have no problems. That was the same with the Queens, Brown Cow, Corporation and other pubs around that area. There were loads of characters in these places, and some real hard people, men and women, who if bothered would sort the vast majority of people out if they needed to. These pubs of course were not your trendy places, but working class pubs, with working class people enjoying a few pints or spirits at a low decent price.

True. The Queens was a particular favourite of mine around 1975-80, not far from where I lived and both my sisters had their wedding receptions in the upstairs room. A lot of Irish lads went in, including my brother-in-law and i seem to remember the landlord was Irish too. Had some good nights in there

Got bored on 10:02 - Oct 16 with 1785 viewsmingthemerciless

Got bored on 22:34 - Oct 15 by D_Alien

True. The Queens was a particular favourite of mine around 1975-80, not far from where I lived and both my sisters had their wedding receptions in the upstairs room. A lot of Irish lads went in, including my brother-in-law and i seem to remember the landlord was Irish too. Had some good nights in there

The last time I was in " The Queens " was the night of the Halifax v ' Dale game in the 1 st promotion season. Drowning our sorrows after the 1-0 defeat. We'd gone by train so it was the obvious place to get a drink on the way from the station.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 11:05]
Got bored on 10:34 - Oct 16 with 1764 viewsEllDale

When I used to go in the Queens in the early 1970's the landlord was a bloke called Mick McKeown who was a former forward with Hornets and who had no neck!.
Never any aggro with him around!
His son was at Bishop Hanshaw around that time.
Got bored on 19:46 - Oct 16 with 1665 viewsNigeriamark

Got bored on 19:35 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

Most pubs are decent in fairness. However the St Johns had probably the filthiest floor I have ever stood on. My shoe almost came off as I pulled it from the floor. Also liked the Queens. Playing in the Rochdale pool league you certainly got to see a few pubs you never new existed and as 1M! says meet quite a few characters. Eventually a mate and myself decided to do every pub in the Rochdale/Littleborough post code. That was about 25 years ago and I am sure it is a lot easier now as I bet a good 30 or so will have shut. Sadly one of my 2 ex - locals the Entwistle seems to have finally closed ( the Sawyers was my other one and went years ago)
Got bored on 19:53 - Oct 16 with 1638 viewsfollon

The Irish landlord was Jimmy Creevy, Or something similar, he raced greyhounds
Got bored on 19:58 - Oct 16 with 1627 viewskiwidale

Got bored on 19:53 - Oct 16 by follon

The Irish landlord was Jimmy Creevy, Or something similar, he raced greyhounds

The daft sod, did he ever win? got more chance of catching a pigeon.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 23:40]

This is not the time for bickering.

Got bored on 23:18 - Oct 16 with 1538 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Got bored on 19:58 - Oct 16 by kiwidale

The daft sod, did he ever win? got more chance of catching a pigeon.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 23:40]

Used to regularly do whitworth rd, sawyers, dusty, pineapple, baileys etc. All good fun as was wagon, gale and Phoenix. All had good community connections with sport, either football or rugby.

Was the St. John's the pub down from autoparts, I went in couple of times whilst car being done. Pint and no bother at all. Few looks as was about 18 in mid 90's and did not fit in. But tbh was left alone.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Got bored on 07:54 - Oct 17 with 1467 viewsEllDale

It was halfway down Anne St, opposite the entrance to St Johns school. One side had been opposite the original St Johns church which is now the school playground I think. The other side faced the school canteen.
Got bored on 12:06 - Oct 17 with 1413 viewssoulboy

Its got to be Waithlands Road, known as tin town, if you didnt live there you knew to avoid it. I did drive down there one night to take a short cut but It was Nov 5th and there were a couple of bonfires, in the middle of the road!
Got bored on 12:11 - Oct 17 with 1403 views1mark1

Got bored on 19:46 - Oct 16 by Nigeriamark

Most pubs are decent in fairness. However the St Johns had probably the filthiest floor I have ever stood on. My shoe almost came off as I pulled it from the floor. Also liked the Queens. Playing in the Rochdale pool league you certainly got to see a few pubs you never new existed and as 1M! says meet quite a few characters. Eventually a mate and myself decided to do every pub in the Rochdale/Littleborough post code. That was about 25 years ago and I am sure it is a lot easier now as I bet a good 30 or so will have shut. Sadly one of my 2 ex - locals the Entwistle seems to have finally closed ( the Sawyers was my other one and went years ago)

Yes I agree St Johns wasn’t exactly the cleanest of places.😃 certainly not a place to go in your best clothes. Many of the pubs around there, used to have manual workers going in straight after work, often filth from working in a factory or engineering works etc.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Got bored on 12:22 - Oct 17 with 1388 viewssoulboy

All industrial towns had pubs near to factories and mills etc, It didnt mean they were "rough" just because almost all their customers wore overalls. The Robin Hood was what id call a rough pub, carpets your feet were glued to if you stood in the same spot for a couple of minutes and also the majority of the customers after 9 on a Friday or Saturday night had great difficulty standing! The good thing was if youd been banned from every other pub in town, the Robin Hood would gladly serve you!
Got bored on 12:38 - Oct 17 with 1370 views100notout

Got bored on 12:06 - Oct 17 by soulboy

Its got to be Waithlands Road, known as tin town, if you didnt live there you knew to avoid it. I did drive down there one night to take a short cut but It was Nov 5th and there were a couple of bonfires, in the middle of the road!

Blimey that takes me back - about 25 years ago - when I did a Goldbond round along Waithlands. Wasn,t the poshest place I'd experienced (!!!) but have to say I never had any trouble around there and to be fair there were some very nice people lived there. No idea what its like now

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Got bored on 15:11 - Oct 17 with 1296 viewspioneer

Got bored on 12:38 - Oct 17 by 100notout

Blimey that takes me back - about 25 years ago - when I did a Goldbond round along Waithlands. Wasn,t the poshest place I'd experienced (!!!) but have to say I never had any trouble around there and to be fair there were some very nice people lived there. No idea what its like now

My old man was a postman for a while and TinTown was the route he would do anything to avoid.
Got bored on 15:25 - Oct 17 with 1278 viewsEllDale

Hornets old ground was right by the side of Tintown and they reckoned that the vandals who were a major factor in them leaving were all off that estate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024