Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fan or supporter 12:12 - Oct 15 with 5031 views1mark1

What’s the difference?
Can you be one, then become the other? Does it depend on how many games you go to, home or away? Does it depend on whether you are ever critical of the team or club? Does it depend on how results , good or bad effect you, or how your support effects the rest of your life?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Fan or supporter on 13:15 - Oct 15 with 4078 viewsD_Alien

It's no longer necessary to live in a binary world

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fan or supporter on 14:41 - Oct 15 with 4006 viewsrafc1984

My take on this is, you are a fan of a sports club if you watch out for them but never/rarely attend.
You are a supporter of a club if you financially contribute to the club by attending, buying merchandise, even buying pies and drinks.
Fan or supporter on 14:48 - Oct 15 with 3992 views442Dale

You only begin to care when you notice the socks.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fan or supporter on 17:19 - Oct 15 with 3901 viewsisitme

Fan or supporter on 14:41 - Oct 15 by rafc1984

My take on this is, you are a fan of a sports club if you watch out for them but never/rarely attend.
You are a supporter of a club if you financially contribute to the club by attending, buying merchandise, even buying pies and drinks.

I would agree totally.
Fan or supporter on 17:37 - Oct 15 with 3880 viewsfinberty

Fan or supporter on 13:15 - Oct 15 by D_Alien

Agreed.

But you still get those who want to.

And those who do not.
Fan or supporter on 19:54 - Oct 15 with 3793 views1mark1

Fan or supporter on 14:41 - Oct 15 by rafc1984

Does it depend in your opinion how often someone attends? How about someone only able to go a handful of games? What about those who say contribute to Goldbond every week, and buy club merchandise?

Fan or supporter on 19:59 - Oct 15 with 3783 views1mark1

Fan or supporter on 13:15 - Oct 15 by D_Alien

Can you explain what you mean in relation to what I asked please.

Fan or supporter on 20:12 - Oct 15 with 3759 viewsTVOS1907

Fan or supporter on 19:59 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

What would you class yourself as?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Fan or supporter on 20:26 - Oct 15 with 3746 views1mark1

Fan or supporter on 20:12 - Oct 15 by TVOS1907

What would you class yourself as?

Depends on what definition each have, that’s why I asked the question.

I am only a part-time attender, due to a number of reasons, buy the Goldbond every week, buy merchandise from Club, or get others to buy me presents from Club, for my birthday or Christmas eg if need a new coat will get a Dale one. Always try to follow every match via Twitter, radio etc.

So based on my “support “, what am I, a fan or supporter?

Fan or supporter on 20:39 - Oct 15 with 3731 viewsTVOS1907

Fan or supporter on 20:26 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

I am only a part-time attender, due to a number of reasons, buy the Goldbond every week, buy merchandise from Club, or get others to buy me presents from Club, for my birthday or Christmas eg if need a new coat will get a Dale one. Always try to follow every match via Twitter, radio etc.

Only you can answer that.

Fan or supporter on 22:23 - Oct 15 with 3625 viewsBobbyjoe

Fan or supporter on 20:26 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

Brian?
Fan or supporter on 22:44 - Oct 15 with 3585 viewsD_Alien

Fan or supporter on 19:59 - Oct 15 by 1mark1

What I meant was: It's not necessary to define yourself as either a fan or a supporter, since definitions can place people in unnecessary boxes that others can then use in a critical way, as in other areas of life; the most common use of 'non-binary' is of course with reference to gender, or sexuality

Fan or supporter on 22:58 - Oct 15 with 3572 views1mark1

Fan or supporter on 22:44 - Oct 15 by D_Alien

What I meant was: It's not necessary to define yourself as either a fan or a supporter, since definitions can place people in unnecessary boxes that others can then use in a critical way, as in other areas of life; the most common use of 'non-binary' is of course with reference to gender, or sexuality

Ok, cheers for that, understand fully what you mean.

Fan or supporter on 18:17 - Oct 16 with 3371 viewsDaleiLama

For me they are almost synonymous.
If you go with the borderline arbitrary differentiation of a supporter putting money into the club and a fan not, then how many fans have never supported the club at some stage? Even SpanishDale is coming over for his first game! What next, qualifying "levels" of support based on financial spend such as bronze, silver gold and platinum supporters - that's not something which would fit for a club like ours, that needs all the support and fans it can get.
I'm no more or less a fan since I bought an ST than I was when I never watched a game or made one a season. People may view me as more or less of a supporter, but so be it. I also agree with the contention that it isn't binary and for me isn't even something that anyone should be asked. Which begs the question, has someone called you out Mark?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 18:24]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Fan or supporter on 18:41 - Oct 16 with 3341 views1mark1

Fan or supporter on 18:17 - Oct 16 by DaleiLama

For me they are almost synonymous.
If you go with the borderline arbitrary differentiation of a supporter putting money into the club and a fan not, then how many fans have never supported the club at some stage? Even SpanishDale is coming over for his first game! What next, qualifying "levels" of support based on financial spend such as bronze, silver gold and platinum supporters - that's not something which would fit for a club like ours, that needs all the support and fans it can get.
I'm no more or less a fan since I bought an ST than I was when I never watched a game or made one a season. People may view me as more or less of a supporter, but so be it. I also agree with the contention that it isn't binary and for me isn't even something that anyone should be asked. Which begs the question, has someone called you out Mark?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 18:24]

I agree with much of that.👍

No, no one has called me out, not that it would bother me, as I wouldn’t give a damn if they did.😀

No it was All about what’s the difference. I have seen some say that supporters attend more than fans, some say it is fans who attend more, as fan is short for fanatic.

To me a fan is a fan, or supporter is a supporter, most individuals attend as much as they are able as far as their own personal circumstances allow. 30 yeRs ago I attended 35 -40 matches a season, but then I was able to.

Fan or supporter on 19:35 - Oct 16 with 3286 viewsMancDale

What definition would you give to the ones that turn up but then do nothing but shout abuse at our own players even when we're winning? Plenty of those types in the sandy.
Fan or supporter on 19:38 - Oct 16 with 3273 viewsDaleiLama

Fan or supporter on 19:35 - Oct 16 by MancDale

What definition would you give to the ones that turn up but then do nothing but shout abuse at our own players even when we're winning? Plenty of those types in the sandy.

Bury fans?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Fan or supporter on 19:51 - Oct 16 with 3250 viewsMancDale

Fan or supporter on 19:38 - Oct 16 by DaleiLama

Bury fans?

Yeah that'll do :)

Maybe I'm imagining it but it seems to have got worse over the last couple of seasons. If I ever stop coming to games it'll be entirely down to these joyless t**ts making it not worth the effort anymore.
Fan or supporter on 20:05 - Oct 16 with 3233 views442Dale

Fan or supporter on 19:51 - Oct 16 by MancDale

Yeah that'll do :)

Maybe I'm imagining it but it seems to have got worse over the last couple of seasons. If I ever stop coming to games it'll be entirely down to these joyless t**ts making it not worth the effort anymore.

Having returned to the Sandy in the last couple of seasons it's really stood out how unreasonably vociferous some people are. There is also an inability to grasp the basics of the game.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fan or supporter on 20:18 - Oct 16 with 3210 viewsnordenblue

Fan or supporter on 20:05 - Oct 16 by 442Dale

Having returned to the Sandy in the last couple of seasons it's really stood out how unreasonably vociferous some people are. There is also an inability to grasp the basics of the game.

There's a "chap" behind the goal that appears hes got some form of tourrettes combined with anger management problems,some of the bollox that fires out is pretty staggering to see at times.......
Fan or supporter on 20:24 - Oct 16 with 3194 viewsMancDale

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed. I've had to move away from one guy who's constant foghorn cries to boot it long and hit the channels became too annoying to cope with. The same bloke was booing when we were 2 nil up vs Gillingham.
Fan or supporter on 20:30 - Oct 16 with 3178 viewsTVOS1907

Fan or supporter on 20:18 - Oct 16 by nordenblue

There's a "chap" behind the goal that appears hes got some form of tourrettes combined with anger management problems,some of the bollox that fires out is pretty staggering to see at times.......

I'd move away from R17ALE if I were you.

Fan or supporter on 20:48 - Oct 16 with 3145 viewsD_Alien

Is "...an inability to grasp the basics of the game" synonymous with "knows f*ck all about football" ?

Fan or supporter on 20:58 - Oct 16 with 3126 viewskiwidale

Fan or supporter on 20:48 - Oct 16 by D_Alien

Is "...an inability to grasp the basics of the game" synonymous with "knows f*ck all about football" ?

stick to "knows f*ck all about football" lad its all part of your charm.

This is not the time for bickering.

Fan or supporter on 21:00 - Oct 16 with 3119 viewsD_Alien

Fan or supporter on 20:58 - Oct 16 by kiwidale

stick to "knows f*ck all about football" lad its all part of your charm.

As is 442's ultra-polite way of saying the same thing

It's nice when we agree

[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 21:01]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024