Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
makes a grown man cry 23:50 - Oct 16 with 5661 viewskiwidale

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/rochdale.html

This is not the time for bickering.

makes a grown man cry on 00:10 - Oct 17 with 4021 viewskiwidale

looking at that list I cant believe the Golden ball on Spotland road has closed that makes me very sad and if it means my last minute diving header in 1975 Rochdale sunday league cup semi final has been expunged then I'll be furious.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 0:11]

This is not the time for bickering.

makes a grown man cry on 00:26 - Oct 17 with 3995 viewsD_Alien

makes a grown man cry on 00:10 - Oct 17 by kiwidale

looking at that list I cant believe the Golden ball on Spotland road has closed that makes me very sad and if it means my last minute diving header in 1975 Rochdale sunday league cup semi final has been expunged then I'll be furious.

Not only has it been expunged, the Ball is now a funeral parlour

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

makes a grown man cry on 00:36 - Oct 17 with 3985 views100notout

makes a grown man cry on 00:10 - Oct 17 by kiwidale

There's many more pubs not on that list that have closed

The New Inn
The Farewell
George & Dragon
Junction

..... all in Castleton

Waggon & Horses Sudden

Sadly I'm sure there's a lot more ...........

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

makes a grown man cry on 04:16 - Oct 17 with 3951 viewsSandyman

No Princess Royal (Freehold St) on that list. Served excellent Oldham Ales.
makes a grown man cry on 07:46 - Oct 17 with 3852 viewsEllDale

Plenty of pubs on that list that I remember well.
But what also struck me is how closures have been going on for over a century although we tend to think that it's a modern phenomenon.
My dad used to tell me that after the war Rochdale had a chief constable called Waller who was a staunch teetotaller and a bit of a martinet. He saw it as his duty to close as many pubs as he could, especially the ones that were merely beer houses and sold nothing else.
makes a grown man cry on 08:22 - Oct 17 with 3811 viewsdeeplishblue

Our usual Sat night pub crawl consisted off..

The Queens (closed)
The Navigation (closed)
The Citizen (closed)
Dick Whittingtons (closed)
The Star (closed)
The Drake (closed)
The Wine Lodge (moved?)
The Spread Eagle (closed)

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

makes a grown man cry on 10:13 - Oct 17 with 3704 viewscumbria_dale

Victoria Hotel - reminded me of this video (not sure if it's been shared on here before) of an old tram ride through Rochdale.

Victoria Hotel makes an appearance at 1:00 along with a bloke a little worse for wear attempting to ride his bike, no doubt after sinking a few in the Victoria.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/tram-moves-through-the-streets-of-roch
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 10:13]
makes a grown man cry on 11:28 - Oct 17 with 3629 viewsEllDale

When I was an underage drinker we used to do a circuit around the bottom of Toad Lane.
Clock Face, Red Lion, another boozer whose name I can't remember and then along to the Grapes on Baillie Street. All gone.
There used to be a cluster of pubs along Oldham Road near the junction with Durham Street. Bishop Blaize, Red Rose, Prince Albert, Lincoln Inn.
Don't know how many of those are still there.
When we drive through Rochdale these days my wife is fed up of me saying, "that used to be a pub."
Login to get fewer ads

makes a grown man cry on 11:49 - Oct 17 with 3595 viewsD_Alien

makes a grown man cry on 11:28 - Oct 17 by EllDale

When I was an underage drinker we used to do a circuit around the bottom of Toad Lane.
Clock Face, Red Lion, another boozer whose name I can't remember and then along to the Grapes on Baillie Street. All gone.
There used to be a cluster of pubs along Oldham Road near the junction with Durham Street. Bishop Blaize, Red Rose, Prince Albert, Lincoln Inn.
Don't know how many of those are still there.
When we drive through Rochdale these days my wife is fed up of me saying, "that used to be a pub."

My first proper pub crawl was up Oldham Rd, to the Bishop Henshaw sixth form Xmas do

Was pretty legless by the time we arrived at the last one, the Yew Tree. A couple of teachers were in there, still bought us a drink

btw the Pullman carriage that used to be outside is rumoured to be on its way back, fully-restored

makes a grown man cry on 13:10 - Oct 17 with 3491 viewsEllDale

Did you ever go in the Royal, the other side of the motorway bridge from the Yew Tree?

Good oldfashioned drinkers pub,
makes a grown man cry on 13:35 - Oct 17 with 3435 viewsNigeriamark

makes a grown man cry on 08:22 - Oct 17 by deeplishblue

Our usual Sat night pub crawl consisted off..

The Queens (closed)
The Navigation (closed)
The Citizen (closed)
Dick Whittingtons (closed)
The Star (closed)
The Drake (closed)
The Wine Lodge (moved?)
The Spread Eagle (closed)

When I worked at Rochdale infirmary early 80'sI arranged a regular pub pub crawl which was

Sawyers
Industry
Pineapple
2 ships
Abbey
Then the Spotland road pubs: Albert, Carters, Victoria, Laddie, Bowling green, Golden ball, Funnies ( forgotten the original name )

I think they have all gone
makes a grown man cry on 13:48 - Oct 17 with 3416 viewsD_Alien

makes a grown man cry on 13:35 - Oct 17 by Nigeriamark

When I worked at Rochdale infirmary early 80'sI arranged a regular pub pub crawl which was

Sawyers
Industry
Pineapple
2 ships
Abbey
Then the Spotland road pubs: Albert, Carters, Victoria, Laddie, Bowling green, Golden ball, Funnies ( forgotten the original name )

I bet Dave Adshead was in on that? When I was training, we did the early shift on Xmas Day in A&E in fancy dress (both dressed as fairies ) then headed for the Sawyers for a couple, still in the same garb, before heading home for our dinners

makes a grown man cry on 14:05 - Oct 17 with 3387 viewsmingthemerciless

Sawyers
Industry
Pineapple
2 ships
Abbey

I can't recall the original name of Funnies bit it's still carved in stone over the doorway. I used to frequent the pubs at the bottom Manchester Rd. The Castle, the one opposite The Castle ( we watched the Brazil v Hungary World Cup Classic in there in 1966 ) The Park Hotel and I think the one called The Elephant And Castle further down towards the library.
makes a grown man cry on 14:06 - Oct 17 with 3387 viewsE_Bearshaw

Merry Monk will always be the one that gets me down. Spent much of my youth in there with my dad and his mates, only for it to close almost as soon as I reached legal drinking age. What a pub.
makes a grown man cry on 15:31 - Oct 17 with 3274 viewssince58

makes a grown man cry on 14:05 - Oct 17 by mingthemerciless

I can't recall the original name of Funnies bit it's still carved in stone over the doorway. I used to frequent the pubs at the bottom Manchester Rd. The Castle, the one opposite The Castle ( we watched the Brazil v Hungary World Cup Classic in there in 1966 ) The Park Hotel and I think the one called The Elephant And Castle further down towards the library.

St Albans was opposite the castle.
They had some great sunday league teams in the early to mid seventies.
makes a grown man cry on 16:24 - Oct 17 with 3220 viewsNigeriamark

makes a grown man cry on 13:48 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I bet Dave Adshead was in on that? When I was training, we did the early shift on Xmas Day in A&E in fancy dress (both dressed as fairies ) then headed for the Sawyers for a couple, still in the same garb, before heading home for our dinners

He certainly was. I have lost contact with him but we were good mates and had plenty of boozing sessions during the 6 years I lived in the nurses home there ( he could certainly put it away). I also did a few of the fancy dress Christmas days dishing out presents to patients - Happy days !!
makes a grown man cry on 16:36 - Oct 17 with 3201 viewsSandyman

Sawyers
Industry
Pineapple
2 ships
Abbey

Funnies was originally The Jolly Waggoner . Sam Smiths pub.
makes a grown man cry on 16:46 - Oct 17 with 3183 viewsmikehunt

If anyone grew up in Newbold, was there a new build pub built where Sammy Cole's
scrapyard was, after all the old terraced houses had been demolished. And is it still there?
Just up the road, on Channing Street was the East Ward Conservative club. Very popular in its day.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

makes a grown man cry on 16:49 - Oct 17 with 3175 viewssince58

makes a grown man cry on 04:16 - Oct 17 by Sandyman

No Princess Royal (Freehold St) on that list. Served excellent Oldham Ales.

Nor the merefield about 100 yards away.
makes a grown man cry on 18:22 - Oct 17 with 3065 viewsArthurDaley

makes a grown man cry on 07:46 - Oct 17 by EllDale

Plenty of pubs on that list that I remember well.
But what also struck me is how closures have been going on for over a century although we tend to think that it's a modern phenomenon.
My dad used to tell me that after the war Rochdale had a chief constable called Waller who was a staunch teetotaller and a bit of a martinet. He saw it as his duty to close as many pubs as he could, especially the ones that were merely beer houses and sold nothing else.

Stanley Waller, was the CC, me and a couple of other lads got into a bit of trouble, and Stanley invited us down to his office one Saturday morning for a bit of a chat. Stayed on the straight and narrow after that.
Also got a book by him about the Rochdale police force from its early beginning's, Cuffs and Handcuffs. One of the early Constables Edward Lord, was dismissed for being found in a brothel for the second time after only one months service. Poor lad was probably doing under cover work.

A large VAT Dave

makes a grown man cry on 19:32 - Oct 17 with 3002 viewsDaleiLama

makes a grown man cry on 18:22 - Oct 17 by ArthurDaley

Stanley Waller, was the CC, me and a couple of other lads got into a bit of trouble, and Stanley invited us down to his office one Saturday morning for a bit of a chat. Stayed on the straight and narrow after that.
Also got a book by him about the Rochdale police force from its early beginning's, Cuffs and Handcuffs. One of the early Constables Edward Lord, was dismissed for being found in a brothel for the second time after only one months service. Poor lad was probably doing under cover work.

In those days everything was black and white but that sounds more like 50 shades of grey

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

makes a grown man cry on 22:52 - Oct 17 with 2831 viewsrobtheb

makes a grown man cry on 13:10 - Oct 17 by EllDale

Did you ever go in the Royal, the other side of the motorway bridge from the Yew Tree?

Good oldfashioned drinkers pub,

First pub I ever went in as a kid was The Royal, use to go in with my grandad who lived across on Culvert St.

Anyone ever go in The Union Rose bottom of Fishwick St?
makes a grown man cry on 18:34 - Oct 18 with 2583 views100notout

Just noticed the top house in cassy isn't on that list either and that's been closed donkeys years.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

makes a grown man cry on 18:48 - Oct 18 with 2573 viewsD_Alien

makes a grown man cry on 18:34 - Oct 18 by 100notout

Just noticed the top house in cassy isn't on that list either and that's been closed donkeys years.

There's talk of extending the East Lancs railway to Castleton

Now if they could add a station pub as well, similar to the ones in Bury and Rawtenstall, serving real ale, it might just go some way towards compensating for the pubs that've shut in that area

makes a grown man cry on 18:58 - Oct 18 with 2538 viewsmingthemerciless

Walking through the town today I noticed " The Reed " was shut up from today with a sign on the door saying closed until further notice.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 18:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024