Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. 18:59 - Oct 17 with 15442 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 22:54 - Oct 17 with 2888 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 22:22 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I'm with borntogo and rochdaleriddler - the sooner we stop playing for useless draws, the better!

If you were happy with that tonight you know jack shit about football

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 22:58 - Oct 17 with 2854 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 22:54 - Oct 17 by rochdaleriddler

If you were happy with that tonight you know jack shit about football

What makes you think I was happy?

I was just trying to inject a bit of humour after what was, overall, a dire performance

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:06 - Oct 17 with 2794 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 22:58 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

What makes you think I was happy?

I was just trying to inject a bit of humour after what was, overall, a dire performance

Sorry my humour has dried up , like our ability to win!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:49 - Oct 17 with 2617 viewsNorthernDale

I feel that the present team are playing like a relegation team and Keith needs to take the blame for this, and I am fan of Keith Hill. We seemed to have a set up that is too defensive in nature, with little, if any creativity in midfield. I accept that we are missing Lund, Allen and Mendez this season, but even so with Camps, Rathbone and Cannon you would think we would still have the ability to open defences. Instead we have Rathbone on the bench, Cannon as done a Lord Lucan and disappeared off the face of the earth, and I am baffled why this happening. I would agree that Done is not the Done we sold, but it takes time to fit into a new team, Inman as ability and some of his crosses towards the end of the game opened the Northampton defence, but at the same time he is not always in the game and I feel that Andrews is one of more over related players in the squad. I know people will say he works hard, wins headers and I would say 'yes' in a defensive capacity, but going forward he as no pace, and offers nothing to the attacking side of the team. Yet Keith not only selects him from the start, but keeps on the pitch for most of the game, yet we have Davies (who can score goals), Slew with pace, Jordan Williams with the ability to attack defences and Cannon, who can open defences and also score goals.
who is not even picked for the bench.

Tonight actually reminded me of the days of Coleman, when we knew his favourites, no matter how bad they were got selected week in, week out. It is time Keith sits back and looks at the team performance and wake up to the fact that his tactics, his team selection are not working and start picking his best team. This may mean eating humble pie and selecting people, like Andy Cannon and dropping Andrews, but sadly this will not happen and we will struggle on with average players and poor tactics. We have the players to get out of this mess and avoid relegation, but they must be selected and with an attacking style of play, instead I expect he will drop people like Rafferty for Saturday and bring back Daniels and go more negative to get another draw or hope we will sneak a win.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:59 - Oct 17 with 2580 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I think Andy Cannon is still in recovery from illness ND......but please anyone in the know advise us differently?

We have a few players...Morley, Kitching even Adshead who may help out in this crisis?
Could they show up?

Please Mr Brown and Canavan, leave them for Bromley.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:03 - Oct 18 with 2566 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:59 - Oct 17 by Yorkshire_Dale

I think Andy Cannon is still in recovery from illness ND......but please anyone in the know advise us differently?

We have a few players...Morley, Kitching even Adshead who may help out in this crisis?
Could they show up?

We need to field our strongest possible team against Bromley, which doesn't include Brown and Canavan.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:11 - Oct 18 with 2537 viewsDareToCalvin

I think Cannon posted on his Instagram a week or so ago that he had picked up an injury.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:12 - Oct 18 with 2532 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:06 - Oct 17 by rochdaleriddler

Sorry my humour has dried up , like our ability to win!

Riddler I saw the the irony in D_Alien's post I think your reply ed him. I almost laughed out loud.

This is not the time for bickering.

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:14 - Oct 18 with 2519 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:59 - Oct 17 by Yorkshire_Dale

Could they show up?

Not sure what's happening with Morley? I know he's still very young but last season he was starting a few league games a the Checkatrade games - seems Adshead has overtaken him.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:18 - Oct 18 with 2493 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:12 - Oct 18 by kiwidale

Riddler I saw the the irony in D_Alien's post I think your reply ed him. I almost laughed out loud.

Hardly

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:33 - Oct 18 with 2472 viewsDareToCalvin

It's so strange to think what's happened. When the team is released every week, I always look at it and think yeah there's quality all over the pitch today, we'll be fine. Yet every game, we have played fairly poorly, absolutely nothing like last season yet with most of the team remaining. In the starting XI tonight we had 3 new signings, 2 players who haven't played for us before.
I don't think we've played like we all know we can play all season with the possible exception of Bury in the Checkatrade. In the past 2 games we've had spells and it's been encouraging but then it all goes away when the other team goes for it. In the past, especially at home, we would always expose that and go on to score the third.
To have fewer points than games almost a third of the way into the season is terrible, but I still think Hill is the only man able to get us out of this. I'm sure this will be very strange for the players too as it's clear they are trying but they're so lacking in confidence; something that can only be turned around by winning. When you're in poor form, it's very hard to turn it around as the opposition will have more belief that they can beat you and our players will naturally be more cautious in their approach in case it costs us, that's totally natural.
Yes there were boos tonight but I think, as Hill alluded to in tonight's interview, it's now when we have to love the players even more, our support gives the players confidence and football is all about confidence. I think we just need a good performance and win, with Bromley coming up who will be no pushovers, to reinstall some confidence back in the squad, because when our players have confidence, we can beat anybody.
We have 3 winnable games coming up, keep the faith in the players.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:40 - Oct 18 with 2456 viewsSandyman

Dale have been awful this season. Not seen a worse team than us apart from Gillingham who sacked their manager after losing to us. Last nights game continued the theme. A great first goal, a game there for the winning against, statistically, the worst team in the division. And what do we get? No organisation, no movement, seemingly no tactics or game plan. We fail to even contest a throw-in adequately. We concede two sloppy goals against a team that can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and have to thank Josh Lillis for saving a penalty to save us a point. As a spectator, this lot are not enjoyable to watch and look as clueless and uninspiring as a FRMSE team which is a damning comment. Embarassing to the club, its fans and the manager. The problems we've seen for 18 months have not been addressed adequately.

This is not a blip. If we screw up the next three games, we have to recognise that one person is not bigger than the club. I sincerely hope we don't and can get back on track to what we can be.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 00:54 - Oct 18 with 2444 viewsswiggy

All agreed, of course we lack confidence, but at 2-0 down Northampton who must be close to the lowest of the low in confidence having not scored since there were dinosaurs on the earth found enough fight to equalise and should have won. At 2-0 we should have lowered their confidence even further and put the game to bed. Let’s not make excuses, we were and have been most of the season, absolutely bloody awful!!!
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 01:06 - Oct 18 with 2428 viewsJames1980

This is depressing. Where is the Blitz spirit? where is the attitude of things ain't great but 'COME ON, let's get behind the manager and the team and push em onwards.
Sorry to say this but we are not supporting Barcelona or Bayern Munich for crying out loud we are supporting a league one team with tight purse strings. I would say plucky league one team but, I think pluckiness at this level comes with encouragement.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 07:46 - Oct 18 with 2167 viewsDaleFan7

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 01:06 - Oct 18 by James1980

This is depressing. Where is the Blitz spirit? where is the attitude of things ain't great but 'COME ON, let's get behind the manager and the team and push em onwards.
Sorry to say this but we are not supporting Barcelona or Bayern Munich for crying out loud we are supporting a league one team with tight purse strings. I would say plucky league one team but, I think pluckiness at this level comes with encouragement.

I apologise that my expectations of us being 2-0 up at home against a team that haven't scored for six games should go on to win the game are too high. I'll lower them in the future.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 07:56 - Oct 18 with 2146 views442Dale

It's about finding a middle ground in terms of where we're at right now. The manager and players need, deserve and have earnt the right for backing throughout the coming months for where we are as a football club.

However, they are not immune from criticism and it needs saying that glaring mistakes are made by the players and those who put them out on the pitch. Pointing them out is exactly what should be happening so as not to minimise the problems.

There's another thread about what a supporter/fan is, and while it's impossible to specifically determine, the above isn't far off what we should be doing right now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 08:27 - Oct 18 with 2085 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 07:56 - Oct 18 by 442Dale

It's about finding a middle ground in terms of where we're at right now. The manager and players need, deserve and have earnt the right for backing throughout the coming months for where we are as a football club.

However, they are not immune from criticism and it needs saying that glaring mistakes are made by the players and those who put them out on the pitch. Pointing them out is exactly what should be happening so as not to minimise the problems.

There's another thread about what a supporter/fan is, and while it's impossible to specifically determine, the above isn't far off what we should be doing right now.

Would agree with all of this. Would also say that "pluckiness" is a feature of a KH side. Very rarely do we not punch above our weight. Our teams in the main are built from players who have come through the system and want to prove themselves in order to move up the food chain, or are broken toys which chips on their shoulders. At our best, performances have been characterised by high tempo, attractive football, controlled aggression, superior fitness, an ability to control the game from midfield and a strong will to win. A lot of those features have been absent this season to date, but judging from the gaffers comments, the will to win has not deserted us. What is missing is finding the right balance to achieve that, whilst picking from a squad that has been severely depleted for a variety of reasons. This in turn has affected confidence badly, and imho, we still appear to be a long way off full strength, handicapping us every game. That's KH's problem to fix. Any encouragement people in the ground can provide to lift the team can only help to try to turn this around. We just need a few good results to go our way and I'm sure we'll begin to get some of the swagger back.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 8:39]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 09:15 - Oct 18 with 1971 viewspioneer

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 08:27 - Oct 18 by DaleiLama

Would agree with all of this. Would also say that "pluckiness" is a feature of a KH side. Very rarely do we not punch above our weight. Our teams in the main are built from players who have come through the system and want to prove themselves in order to move up the food chain, or are broken toys which chips on their shoulders. At our best, performances have been characterised by high tempo, attractive football, controlled aggression, superior fitness, an ability to control the game from midfield and a strong will to win. A lot of those features have been absent this season to date, but judging from the gaffers comments, the will to win has not deserted us. What is missing is finding the right balance to achieve that, whilst picking from a squad that has been severely depleted for a variety of reasons. This in turn has affected confidence badly, and imho, we still appear to be a long way off full strength, handicapping us every game. That's KH's problem to fix. Any encouragement people in the ground can provide to lift the team can only help to try to turn this around. We just need a few good results to go our way and I'm sure we'll begin to get some of the swagger back.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 8:39]

Isnt there an inconsistency in these two quotes - if they have 'thrown the game away' they can't have given everything physically and mentally.

I wasnt at the game so cannot make a judgement.

I wonder if the continual party line of we are punching above our weight etc etc has resulted in expectations being lowered. If we shouldnt expect to be up to the standards of this division (as some seem to believe) then not meeting those standards becomes acceptable. Our self proclaimed sackcloth and shawl attitude might be coming back to bite us.

We are in this division because we deserve to be in it and have performed up to the standard of it and that has been done within the context of our small crowds (they have gone up this year - or at least the season ticket sales have)and club finances. We just need to maintain the standards we have set and maintained over a sustained period. Or are we to believe the Rochdale model (bringing on young players and broken toys and selling them for large sums with add ons) no longer works - certainly the funds havent dried up but what we are doing with them seems to be, at least at the moment, less effective.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:06 - Oct 18 with 1886 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 09:15 - Oct 18 by pioneer

Isnt there an inconsistency in these two quotes - if they have 'thrown the game away' they can't have given everything physically and mentally.

I wasnt at the game so cannot make a judgement.

I wonder if the continual party line of we are punching above our weight etc etc has resulted in expectations being lowered. If we shouldnt expect to be up to the standards of this division (as some seem to believe) then not meeting those standards becomes acceptable. Our self proclaimed sackcloth and shawl attitude might be coming back to bite us.

We are in this division because we deserve to be in it and have performed up to the standard of it and that has been done within the context of our small crowds (they have gone up this year - or at least the season ticket sales have)and club finances. We just need to maintain the standards we have set and maintained over a sustained period. Or are we to believe the Rochdale model (bringing on young players and broken toys and selling them for large sums with add ons) no longer works - certainly the funds havent dried up but what we are doing with them seems to be, at least at the moment, less effective.

My interpretation is they gave everything physically and mentally, until they "collapsed". It happens as you know. The reasons for that and the solution are for KH to work out and solve.

My expectations are based on what I perceive the strength of the squad to be and I think its currently top half of L1. We are fixed in the bottom half so either I'm wrong or the squad is underperforming. To me, Bunney and Camps still look off fitness-wise and probably wouldn't have been put back in if we had better choices. Cannon and Rathbone should be on the pitch but aren't for whatever reason. Our tactics seem to be a function of the void we have in midfield which may be forced by our selection which may also be forced by external factors but .............

I personally don't think the model is broken, but we are far from firing on all cylinders at present. Only when we are can we really take stock in my opinion.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:47 - Oct 18 with 1799 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:06 - Oct 18 by DaleiLama

My interpretation is they gave everything physically and mentally, until they "collapsed". It happens as you know. The reasons for that and the solution are for KH to work out and solve.

My expectations are based on what I perceive the strength of the squad to be and I think its currently top half of L1. We are fixed in the bottom half so either I'm wrong or the squad is underperforming. To me, Bunney and Camps still look off fitness-wise and probably wouldn't have been put back in if we had better choices. Cannon and Rathbone should be on the pitch but aren't for whatever reason. Our tactics seem to be a function of the void we have in midfield which may be forced by our selection which may also be forced by external factors but .............

I personally don't think the model is broken, but we are far from firing on all cylinders at present. Only when we are can we really take stock in my opinion.

I'm also inclined towards this view, and still believe patience is required although it was severely tested last night

For the first time in a long time (since Coleman, in fact) I began watching through a more neutral eye, and didn't like what I saw. I didn't even get up out of my seat when Hendo managed to convert the rebound for 2-0, instead just politely applauded. That's not how I want to feel when Dale score. There was then a sense of inevitability about their comeback, and again I didn't cheer when Lillis saved what seemed the coup de grace, simply thought how lucky we were

I don't doubt the hunger of the players, but I fear the same line-up will produce exactly the same performance against Bristol on Saturday. I'd like to see Rathbone back in midfield and Done up front with Hendo in place of Andrew, just something to shake it up; plus Morley on the bench

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 11:13 - Oct 18 with 1748 viewstony_roch975

Agree with lots. Don't think it's physical fatigue, more mental - like most sports it's about momentum and we've lost that. Equally I think the standard in League 1 has gone up (many teams invested heavily in the Summer). Our squad has talent but losing 3 championship standard players in one window was always going to be tough. Defence individually isn't bad (bar Harrison's off night). However, we've been worked out - all opposition teams target Bunney - so don't allow him to hold the high line which was so effective last season. Without a defensively strong left side midfielder to support him (like Joe T) we're more vulnerable. Kitching (is he injured?) might develop into that role - maybe try Bunney left midfield, Ntlhe at FB? We're still not fixed on the best playmaker - for me it's Camps & first half last night he was superb - won tackles, covered back 4, inserted pace into attack (unlike MJW) & the ball to Hendo was one of several defence splitting passes. But then the problem is the 2/3 other midfielders - Hendo looked more effective right midfield last night - MJW struggled in new role (until last 5 mins) & Inman is more a central midfielder. However the bigger problem is finishing - we did create chances to put the game to bed but Done etc missed several, Calvin's a great lad but not the regular first choice for me. Agree we needed energy substitutions last night as soon as we went 2 - 0 up and for me Rathbone or Cannon behind strikers is a must... and for me Hendo isn't the right captain to pick heads up, I'd go with Jim McNulty.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:03 - Oct 18 with 1664 viewsPhil

There is a strategic viewpoint that you shouldn't do what You most want to do, you should do what your opponent least wants you to do.

Opposition players don't like playing against pacy attacking fullbacks. They don't like playing against a hard working midfield four who track back and don't give them a moments peace. The opposition defence would rather play against one forward instead of two. We have players in the squad of League One Quality who are quite capable of fulfilling all this, yet for some reason we rotate the squad constantly, stick with players who are out of form, play players out of position, everything about our selection and performance is playing into the opposition's hands.

After the "fook all about football" debate, I think we're all now agreed that 13 points from 14 games playing mostly defensive-oriented football is not a situation anyway wants to see. Especially given our stated aim of becoming an "established" L1 club. For me it's time to move Done upfront with either Davies or Andrews, get Rathbone etc back into a hard-working midfield, and really push Raff/Bunney to attack at every opportunity.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:49 - Oct 18 with 1552 viewsmightydale

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:03 - Oct 18 by Phil

There is a strategic viewpoint that you shouldn't do what You most want to do, you should do what your opponent least wants you to do.

Opposition players don't like playing against pacy attacking fullbacks. They don't like playing against a hard working midfield four who track back and don't give them a moments peace. The opposition defence would rather play against one forward instead of two. We have players in the squad of League One Quality who are quite capable of fulfilling all this, yet for some reason we rotate the squad constantly, stick with players who are out of form, play players out of position, everything about our selection and performance is playing into the opposition's hands.

After the "fook all about football" debate, I think we're all now agreed that 13 points from 14 games playing mostly defensive-oriented football is not a situation anyway wants to see. Especially given our stated aim of becoming an "established" L1 club. For me it's time to move Done upfront with either Davies or Andrews, get Rathbone etc back into a hard-working midfield, and really push Raff/Bunney to attack at every opportunity.

I blame brexit (as its getting blamed for divorce rates raising, we might as well blame it for Rochdale playing dogShit) GOD DAMN YOU BREXITEERS

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 13:01 - Oct 18 with 1512 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:03 - Oct 18 by Phil

Just for the record, i haven't changed my mind one iota about the view espoused that "we were playing for draws" - but i'm not going to rehash the whole debate again

There's nothing in what i (or others, for that matter) have posted that's inconsistent with trying to win games but failing through lack of confidence, or poor decision-making during play

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 13:06 - Oct 18 with 1495 viewsD_Dale

Two minor points. First, last night's results show there's not a huge gap between most of the teams in L1. Blackburn's odds for a win were even shorter than Dale's, but Plymouth took a draw. And another bottom-four side, Gillingham, shared the points with high-flying Wigan.

Second, in the general disappointment, I've not noticed much credit for Camps' pass to Hendo for the opening goal:

http://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-northampton/375335
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024