Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. 18:59 - Oct 17 with 15298 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 13:47 - Oct 18 with 2460 viewsNafelad

The main role of a defender is to defend, so a full back should be good at defending. Bunney seems to be a 'first name on the team sheet' player, so why play him as a defender, which I don't think he is, or ever has been. I suggest he's played wide left midfield, with someone who defends well, behind him - Ntlhe??

Topcat

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 14:14 - Oct 18 with 2427 viewsNDGN82

It's all very simple - to stop the bad run of results, form, negativity, etc, play the players in their best positions!!

This is solely down to KH. Players are more likely to make mistakes in their 'lessor' positions so lets get that right first and then surely the results will come

PS. Someone still saying Matty Done is a shadow of the guy we sold to Sheffield! That's because we're yet to play him up front. If you stick Ronaldo at left back i'm pretty sure he would look a shadow of his former self!!
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:13 - Oct 18 with 2301 viewsDale92

Wheres Keith Keane?

This is the One, I've waited for

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:26 - Oct 18 with 2268 viewsNafelad

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:13 - Oct 18 by Dale92

Wheres Keith Keane?

After parking his car at the match on Tuesday evening, he told a mate of mine he'd had a groin operation.

Topcat

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:50 - Oct 18 with 2219 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:26 - Oct 18 by Nafelad

After parking his car at the match on Tuesday evening, he told a mate of mine he'd had a groin operation.

Good to know.....ask your mate to find out what's wrong with Andy Cannon too,and please report back.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:57 - Oct 18 with 2208 viewsNafelad

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:50 - Oct 18 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good to know.....ask your mate to find out what's wrong with Andy Cannon too,and please report back.

Don't think I can manage any info on Andy Cannon - my mate just happened to be walking past Keano, after he'd parked up, and asked him if he was injured.

Topcat

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 16:58 - Oct 18 with 2205 viewsColDale

I think Hilly is stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment, and possibly doesn't even know himself the best approach at the moment to games.

For all his comments about trust and believing in the squad, I don't think he does. Whether its because of the way we play or whether its (more likely) the personnel, I don't think he has any real faith in the defence to keep a clean sheet in a match. For me, that's the reason why we've had Daniels and Brown playing at right back - get a bit more height and defensive strength in there, with Raff the sacrifice. (wouldn't be surprised to see us try 3 at the back if the run continues).

For me, this was most demonstrated at Wimbledon away. He will always trust our forward players to get a goal, so it was a case of setting up to look after the defence, with the hope / trust that the likes of Hendo, Davies, Andrew or Done will be able to conjure up that bit of magic and score.

But that's not worked. We play on the back foot too much, and I reckon you could name 5 or 6 first team players who's game is affected negatively by playing that way, and the last thing we want to be doing is allowing the opposition to come at us. There's been at least half a dozen games wherein we should have got a better result than we have done.

But the defence is so porous that playing on the front foot like we attempted to do last night made us seem brittle. Never felt Northampton were garbage at any stage of the game, with decent passages of play but a side at rock bottom were always going to be bouyed by the sniff of something from the game.

Genuinely, don't know where we go from here. I think few would argue with the starting line up, and looking at the rest of the squad, big as it is, there's few options. Cannon is the one I guess who Hill keeps referring to as being in the side by default and not warranting it on the training ground - tho he can hardly argue he's not been given a chance. The Jamie Allen opportunity hasn't been taken by him, and it's a shame we have a transfer window, as I reckon he'd benefit greatly from going playing week in week out in League Two right now. As it stands, I think he's heading for the exit doors in May which will be a shame for all parties.

There was a five minute spell last night roughly between 80 and 85 mins which is as bad as I've seen. Players looked devoid of fitness, ideas and confidence and I don't think a single thing came off during that spell. Poor Camps looked in the last ten mins that he'd played too much since returning from his health scare and looked absolutely out on his feet. (tho his pass to Hendo reminded me of that pass from Paddy for Townson against York that time such was the quality).

Worrying thing for me at this moment is I don't see a great deal of manoeuvrability within the squad, and it might be just a case of holding our nerve until the January transfer window. I think Hill will make a lot of comments with the intention of keeping heads high which might baffle us, and wouldn't at all be surprised to see him put himself in the firing line to avert attention away from the players in the next few days.

We're not viewed as little old Rochdale anymore, and teams know how we're going to line up. We might shift players about, but word has got round that we don't like being pressed (as seen in the Rotherham game), and if you come at us, we're fragile, especially at set pieces. Hilly's favoured League 1 formation might just have run its course. We know he'll get it right in the long run because he always does, as he has done in the many mini crises we've had before, but this one might just take a bit longer to sit through.

We're not a million miles away from being a competent mid table side, and had we held our nerves in the last couple of games, we'd be exactly that. There were passages of play last night which were very good, and similarly on Saturday at Fleetwood (and bits where we were bobbins). My fear is that we've got a squad not accustomed to struggle (and a large % of the fanbase), and there's not a right lot of leadership out on the pitch for those moments where the confidence goes. Predictions of a relegation battle could be self perpetuating if we're not careful.

And if all else fails, we've got the black socks to turn to.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:08 - Oct 18 with 2169 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 13:47 - Oct 18 by Nafelad

The main role of a defender is to defend, so a full back should be good at defending. Bunney seems to be a 'first name on the team sheet' player, so why play him as a defender, which I don't think he is, or ever has been. I suggest he's played wide left midfield, with someone who defends well, behind him - Ntlhe??

Bunney can defend and attack - he proved that over a long period last season - so I don't think it's a thing that he 'can't do it' - maybe it's just a concentration thing. Even last night having an off night he put in 2 glorious balls across the 6 yard box in either half that just wanted finishing. Davies might have but unfortunately Calvin isn't that type of goal poacher.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:43]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:18 - Oct 18 with 2152 viewsNafelad

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:08 - Oct 18 by dingdangblue

Bunney can defend and attack - he proved that over a long period last season - so I don't think it's a thing that he 'can't do it' - maybe it's just a concentration thing. Even last night having an off night he put in 2 glorious balls across the 6 yard box in either half that just wanted finishing. Davies might have but unfortunately Calvin isn't that type of goal poacher.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:43]

I agree that his wide attacking play is very good - what I'm suggesting is that he's allowed to concentrate on doing that. Why ask him to do the defending job as well, that doesn't come naturally to him anyway.

Topcat

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:33 - Oct 18 with 2120 views442Dale

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:18 - Oct 18 by Nafelad

I agree that his wide attacking play is very good - what I'm suggesting is that he's allowed to concentrate on doing that. Why ask him to do the defending job as well, that doesn't come naturally to him anyway.

Because when he's started from a wide role further up the pitch he hasn't been as effective. It's that he can attack from deep and overlap that he's been so successful at full-back

That said there hasn't been a better time to try him and Rafferty as wing-backs with a back three of Daniels, McGahey and McNulty.

We can retain two up top with a narrow midfield three.

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:49 - Oct 18 with 2062 viewsDaleFan7

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:33 - Oct 18 by 442Dale

Because when he's started from a wide role further up the pitch he hasn't been as effective. It's that he can attack from deep and overlap that he's been so successful at full-back

That said there hasn't been a better time to try him and Rafferty as wing-backs with a back three of Daniels, McGahey and McNulty.

We can retain two up top with a narrow midfield three.

Bunney has started to become very petulant and argumentative, whether his good performances have gone to his head and that's affecting his performances now I don't know.

But it seems to me when he's defending at the moment, his mind is somewhere else.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 18:08 - Oct 18 with 2031 viewsNafelad

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:49 - Oct 18 by DaleFan7

Bunney has started to become very petulant and argumentative, whether his good performances have gone to his head and that's affecting his performances now I don't know.

But it seems to me when he's defending at the moment, his mind is somewhere else.

I suggest "his mind is somewhere else" because he's not an experienced, natural defender.

Topcat

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 18:23 - Oct 18 with 1999 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 17:49 - Oct 18 by DaleFan7

He's 24. Earlier in his career he'd regularly get pushed off the ball. He's filled out some and is now standing his ground a lot more even though opponents are still trying to dish it out to him. He's also coming back from injury and not fully match fit yet. I think he deserves a bit of a longer leash personally. He also doesn't seem like the sort of lad to think he's God's gift to me either.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 18:37 - Oct 18 with 1974 views1949er

Exactly my sentiments

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 20:57 - Oct 18 with 1826 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:47 - Oct 18 by D_Alien

I'm also inclined towards this view, and still believe patience is required although it was severely tested last night

For the first time in a long time (since Coleman, in fact) I began watching through a more neutral eye, and didn't like what I saw. I didn't even get up out of my seat when Hendo managed to convert the rebound for 2-0, instead just politely applauded. That's not how I want to feel when Dale score. There was then a sense of inevitability about their comeback, and again I didn't cheer when Lillis saved what seemed the coup de grace, simply thought how lucky we were

I don't doubt the hunger of the players, but I fear the same line-up will produce exactly the same performance against Bristol on Saturday. I'd like to see Rathbone back in midfield and Done up front with Hendo in place of Andrew, just something to shake it up; plus Morley on the bench

Must be catching, I too felt flat about scoring , I need to see a rip roaring game to fire my enthusiasm.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 20:59 - Oct 18 with 1819 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 21:50 - Oct 17 by 442Dale

Hill made plenty of mistakes tonight but like Saturday, which he correctly identified, the players went from front foot to back foot for no reason.

We are in a position we should expect to be in and making knee jerk reactions won't solve anything. Hill knows the issue.

The main thing tonight that he could have affects was the lack of subs at the right time. At 2-0 we needed fresh legs to push on, but reacted after they got a foothold in the game. Same as Saturday - no reason whatsoever to not use 3 subs. It's going to be a tough campaign, we need to deal with it better. On and off the pitch.

Why should we expect to be at the bottom?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:20 - Oct 18 with 1680 viewspioneer

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 20:59 - Oct 18 by rochdaleriddler

because it allows us to claim we are overachieving when we are next to bottom
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:51 - Oct 18 with 1656 views442Dale

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 20:59 - Oct 18 by rochdaleriddler

In the grand scheme of things. We know there's potential to be aiming higher, but now and again we might have to get used to a season of struggle at this level. It's unrealistic to expect top ten every season, and that's not to say we won't finish there.

The issue is more around how we are playing rather than the points/position.

Edit: also, we aren't bottom. We are just above the bottom four. And if we had a couple of seasons finishing there, we have to start to realise someone has to finish there. Just because it's us, there's no way we suddenly rip up the current model and start again.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 23:55]

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 07:46 - Oct 19 with 1543 viewsDaleFan7

Because if not people can't use the usual;

'We're over achieving' line that gets over used all the time or 'Well it was worse when we played in the Jurassic period'

To some people, we might as well just go to League Two now and be grateful we're a football league team. God forbid any expectations.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 09:05 - Oct 19 with 1467 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 23:51 - Oct 18 by 442Dale

In the grand scheme of things. We know there's potential to be aiming higher, but now and again we might have to get used to a season of struggle at this level. It's unrealistic to expect top ten every season, and that's not to say we won't finish there.

The issue is more around how we are playing rather than the points/position.

Edit: also, we aren't bottom. We are just above the bottom four. And if we had a couple of seasons finishing there, we have to start to realise someone has to finish there. Just because it's us, there's no way we suddenly rip up the current model and start again.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 23:55]

Admirable summary of exactly where we are as a football club

Now, if only you could curb your unrealistic kit expectations

[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 9:07]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 09:07 - Oct 19 with 1466 viewsDaley_Lama

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 13:06 - Oct 18 by D_Dale

Two minor points. First, last night's results show there's not a huge gap between most of the teams in L1. Blackburn's odds for a win were even shorter than Dale's, but Plymouth took a draw. And another bottom-four side, Gillingham, shared the points with high-flying Wigan.

Second, in the general disappointment, I've not noticed much credit for Camps' pass to Hendo for the opening goal:

http://www.skysports.com/football/rochdale-vs-northampton/375335

Camps pass was awesome and it was a triffic finish too.His pass a minute before was woeful however and the Cobblers nearly scored from it.

We're getting good at taking the lead of late, we simply need a relief pitcher.

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:04 - Oct 19 with 1408 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 09:07 - Oct 19 by Daley_Lama

Camps pass was awesome and it was a triffic finish too.His pass a minute before was woeful however and the Cobblers nearly scored from it.

We're getting good at taking the lead of late, we simply need a relief pitcher.

Not had chance to look - but what would our points tally be had we kept hold of the lead this season?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:21 - Oct 19 with 1389 viewsDaley_Lama

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:04 - Oct 19 by dingdangblue

Not had chance to look - but what would our points tally be had we kept hold of the lead this season?

Not an exact science but we took the lead versus

Scunny
Shrews
MK
Fleetwood
Northampton

2 defeats 3 draws

Didn't go to MK but for the other 4 games our lead never a case of us being on top and dominating.

We did get lucky v Donny though

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:23 - Oct 19 with 1287 viewsrod_leach

We lost three of our best players over the summer, all to a higher division, all who were in the team for at least a couple of years.
We've become used to the club pulling rabbits out of hats and replacing those bettering themselves. Every now and again, we are going to struggle to do so. the newcomers haven't thrilled this season so far, but by the law of averages, it was going to happen one day. I, for one, am taking the rough with the smooth.
If we look like going down this season, I hope that there aren't any panic buttons pressed. I can accept that the budget means we aren't going to be able to buy our way out of trouble.
Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 12:32 - Oct 19 with 1262 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Northampton. Hopefully black socks. on 10:21 - Oct 19 by Daley_Lama

Not an exact science but we took the lead versus

Scunny
Shrews
MK
Fleetwood
Northampton

2 defeats 3 draws

Didn't go to MK but for the other 4 games our lead never a case of us being on top and dominating.

We did get lucky v Donny though

12 extra points is a massive amount but like you say it's not an exact science - still disappointing as generally scoring the 1st goal sees you going onto win or at least not lose.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024