Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish Challenge Cup 21:17 - Nov 12 with 2288 viewsSwissdale

Semi finals to be contested by TNS (Welsh), Crusaders (Northern Irish), Dumbarton and Cally Thistle.

Got me thinking, would be great if the Checkatrade was sacked off in favour of a "British Cup". If it kept the FA happy could still include the u20 sides, chance for the fans to travel to watch their club, no doubt more marketable to TV companies.

Thoughts?
Scottish Challenge Cup on 22:47 - Nov 12 with 2240 viewsRAFCBLUE

You need UEFA approval, which is why it couldn't happen.

The Scottish challenge cup gets there by utilising teams that don't bother UEFA competitions.

In an ideal world, you could have a British Cup that contained Celtic, Rangers, the Northern Irish teams and English FA registered participants plus Welsh minnows. 128 teams reducing to a winner over 7 games.

UK profile and the celtic/Rangers games would add significant interest and gates and be an interesting experiment.

As an aside, I'd love to see our FA take on FIFA by hosting an eight team biannual competition in the Summer of odd number years (I.e no World Cup, no Euros)

Make the four UK home nations seeded and invite four international guests. Games is Glasgow, London, Cardiff and Belfast plus two neutral grounds would be sellouts.

If you're not one of the four home nations and you win it, you are automatically brought back to defend your title.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Scottish Challenge Cup on 23:03 - Nov 12 with 2228 viewsfitzochris

The Challenge Cup introduced Colt teams, a la Checkatrade, but took it a stage further with Welsh and Irish sides. It was done partly to give the kids a chance to play the man’s game, a la Checkatrade, and secondly to break the tedium of playing the same teams again and again and again. Fair enough when the competing teams already play teams in their own, small division four times a season. With two other Cup competitions drawing from that same pool in the early stages, it makes sense to mix it up. The broadening of the Scottish Cup to non-League teams has added a bit of variety, too.

Bring back the Anglo Italian Cup, I say.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Scottish Challenge Cup on 07:57 - Nov 13 with 2133 viewsEllDale

And the Watney Cup!
Scottish Challenge Cup on 10:00 - Nov 13 with 2061 viewspioneer

I think we have got enough unwanted cup competitions that fans dont care about cluttering up the fixture list, attracting miniscule attendences.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024