Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC 10:57 - Nov 16 with 3423 viewsRAFCBLUE

The BBC study into the cost of fooball is noting that the 18-25 segment see football as too expensive.

The study and the BBC analysis is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

I think we have an amazing structure now to try and make football affordable in Rochdale, which by a number of metrics compared to the other 91 league holding venues is still a financially poor town.

Free season tickets for under 7, cheap season tickets for teenagers are all very noble but losing that interested demographic at 18 due to cost is a very real issue for a club like us.

There used to be (and perhaps still is) a right of passage of sneaking into an away ground as a junior despite being overage so the affordability problem has always existed but is now deterring an age group vital to the continued success of clubs like us.

I wonder if we could offer next season a subsidised 18-25 ticket which was more expensive than the teenager ticket but less than a full priced one?
I'm talking here both on the day and as a season ticket.

The beauty of a messageboard is you can't tell the age of the poster so are there any 18-25 year olds who post here put off by the cost of attending Dale games?

Would such a proposal help attendances?
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 10:59]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 11:27 - Nov 16 with 3373 viewsjustanillusion

Both neighbouring clubs Bury & Oldham do a reduced price season ticket bridging the gap between 16&under and 21 and up , recognising that this age group have limited income, eg. Low apprentice rate of pay, or sixth form student, it's the right way to retain this catchment age group and grow their fan bases, Dale do no reduced season tickets for the 17-21, I put it down to Garlick's lack of vision/common sense , maybe Russ might correct this ?
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:59 - Nov 16 with 3269 viewsupthedale

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 11:27 - Nov 16 by justanillusion

Both neighbouring clubs Bury & Oldham do a reduced price season ticket bridging the gap between 16&under and 21 and up , recognising that this age group have limited income, eg. Low apprentice rate of pay, or sixth form student, it's the right way to retain this catchment age group and grow their fan bases, Dale do no reduced season tickets for the 17-21, I put it down to Garlick's lack of vision/common sense , maybe Russ might correct this ?

I thought we did do a 21 & under option?

We might not have done this year due the reduced prices.

But we definitely have in the past.
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 13:14 - Nov 16 with 3234 viewsjustanillusion

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:59 - Nov 16 by upthedale

I thought we did do a 21 & under option?

We might not have done this year due the reduced prices.

But we definitely have in the past.

2016-17 season pricing by Dale
U11's Free ( *£10 admin charge)
12-16 years - £89
Adult from £314.50
Seniors (65+) £222

Glaring omission of concessions for 17-21 years in my view
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 14:50 - Nov 16 with 3140 viewschalkyncfc

Notts County half season tickets kop and family stand

Adult £179
Senior 60+ £129
Young Adult 18-21 £89
17-18yr old £59
Under 16 £39
Under 12 £11
Under 7 free
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 15:46 - Nov 16 with 3070 views1mark1

Let’s not forget that the under 25’s are not covered by the Governments Living Wage full rate. I agree with others who say that there should be cheaper tickets availabie for this age group, for those that so wish to take it up. I would personally say that U25s should be allowed to pay the same as pensioners. Obviously if an under 25 year old wants to pay full price, then great, pretty sure many would if they had the money.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 21:41 - Nov 16 with 2921 viewsKenBoon

I noticed when I was buying season tickets that the former young person's bracket still had that written on the ticket, but the price is for a full adult. There is no way an 18-year-old should be paying the same as a 40-year-old for a season ticket. It is pointless offering massive discounts when they're young only to hike the price up when they could still be in full-time education or not even earning the full minimum wage.
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 06:54 - Nov 17 with 2815 viewsnordenblue

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 15:46 - Nov 16 by 1mark1

Let’s not forget that the under 25’s are not covered by the Governments Living Wage full rate. I agree with others who say that there should be cheaper tickets availabie for this age group, for those that so wish to take it up. I would personally say that U25s should be allowed to pay the same as pensioners. Obviously if an under 25 year old wants to pay full price, then great, pretty sure many would if they had the money.

At what age should they pay "full" price,and what if someone decided to study late on in life and only work part time as a result,should they receive the same discounts too?
Don't get me started on discounts for job seekers benefits etc.....
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:07 - Nov 17 with 2674 viewsD_Alien

It does make you wonder what the rationale behind charging full price for those in the 18-25 age group might be. If clubs with better support than ourselves (i.e. the majority) can see good reasons for discounting to this cohort, it really must be a well thought through decision to charge full whack.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:34 - Nov 17 with 2641 viewsDaleiLama

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:07 - Nov 17 by D_Alien

It does make you wonder what the rationale behind charging full price for those in the 18-25 age group might be. If clubs with better support than ourselves (i.e. the majority) can see good reasons for discounting to this cohort, it really must be a well thought through decision to charge full whack.

Or playing devil's advocate, a not thought through decision at all? The remarks Hilly made about clubs like ours struggling to attract fans are completely incongruous with this pricing structure. I don't imagine it would swell the gate by a huge amount in the short term, but if new fans started to attend and kept up the habit, then one day brought their family etc etc ...........

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 13:23 - Nov 17 with 2591 viewsD_Alien

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 12:34 - Nov 17 by DaleiLama

Or playing devil's advocate, a not thought through decision at all? The remarks Hilly made about clubs like ours struggling to attract fans are completely incongruous with this pricing structure. I don't imagine it would swell the gate by a huge amount in the short term, but if new fans started to attend and kept up the habit, then one day brought their family etc etc ...........

I was playing devil's advocate with my "well thought through"

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 14:25 - Nov 17 with 2561 viewsrochdaleriddler

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 06:54 - Nov 17 by nordenblue

At what age should they pay "full" price,and what if someone decided to study late on in life and only work part time as a result,should they receive the same discounts too?

I'm not bothered if the person next to me can get a discount by virtue of age, disability, unemployment. If it helps boost the crowd, it's all good. I'm presuming you, like me pay full price. In all walks of life discounts are available . Railcards, bus passes, theatre tickets. It's all good

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 15:12 - Nov 17 with 2532 viewsKenBoon

vintage...

I guess you just need to decide who is worthy and find a way of checking the validity of their claim, without taking the piss/wasting time. I'd say anyone who is learning should qualify for student discounts. Once they've finished learning they should have more disposable income and stick with us. It'd be nice to reward people who want to improve themselves and their community by becoming more skilled at any age.

I suppose you could give job seekers a discount too because it's easier to prove, but scroungers, layabouts, etc. I personally don't understand why people associate job seekers benefits with "scroungers". Some job seekers may have worked 40 years, contributed thousands to the club and find themselves in a rough spot. I'd personally like to see those folk helped and if that means some "bum" also gets a discount then so be it.
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:26 - Nov 17 with 2490 viewsDaleiLama

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 13:23 - Nov 17 by D_Alien

I was playing devil's advocate with my "well thought through"

After I replied I suspected it might have been tongue in cheek, but such things don't come over on a message-board. I should've known better though!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 17:26]

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:29 - Nov 17 with 2483 viewsD_Alien

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:26 - Nov 17 by DaleiLama

After I replied I suspected it might have been tongue in cheek, but such things don't come over on a message-board. I should've known better though!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 17:26]

The sooner someone invents an interactive screen that pokes tongues out, into cheeks, or anywhere anyone fancies, the better!

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:30 - Nov 17 with 2477 viewsDaleiLama

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:29 - Nov 17 by D_Alien

The sooner someone invents an interactive screen that pokes tongues out, into cheeks, or anywhere anyone fancies, the better!

Was that comment meant for this thread or the Franny thread?

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:33 - Nov 17 with 2472 viewsD_Alien

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 17:30 - Nov 17 by DaleiLama

Was that comment meant for this thread or the Franny thread?

I've no preferences!

It's be a great name for the interactive 'tool' though - the Franny

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 19:49 - Nov 17 with 2388 views1mark1

Well the full rate of the government’s NLW comes in at over 25, so that is when the full price should be paid, in my opinion. Like I said before, those that can afford to , or wish to, can always pay full price if they so wish.

There could be a debate about whether concessions should be offered to full time students older than that, or those in receipt of certain government benefits, but for now, concentrate on young people.

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 13:22 - Nov 18 with 2293 viewsnordenblue

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 19:49 - Nov 17 by 1mark1

Well the full rate of the government’s NLW comes in at over 25, so that is when the full price should be paid, in my opinion. Like I said before, those that can afford to , or wish to, can always pay full price if they so wish.

There could be a debate about whether concessions should be offered to full time students older than that, or those in receipt of certain government benefits, but for now, concentrate on young people.

In reality plenty who can afford to pay full price whilst still under the age of 25 will happily pay the reduced cost..... i personally think up to 25 is too old to still expect reduced rates
Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 14:20 - Nov 18 with 2277 views1mark1

Price of Football 2017 study and Rochdale AFC on 13:22 - Nov 18 by nordenblue

In reality plenty who can afford to pay full price whilst still under the age of 25 will happily pay the reduced cost..... i personally think up to 25 is too old to still expect reduced rates

And many who could, would pay the full price. I know of some who pay full price, despite being entitled to pensioner concession, because they can afford to do so.

Well don’t be surprised that more in that age bracket don’t attend. Simple , if the Club want more in that age bracket to turn up, then make it more affordable fir them.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 14:22]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024