Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 23:09 - Nov 16 with 18504 viewsDale92

Seeming we are about a week away from the first test. Think its time to get the thread going as im getting fed up of reading about bURY for the past week. Aussies have announced their squad. Bancroft gets the nod over Renshaw as opener- he only got one century in div 2 last year. Tim Paine is back and so it Shaun Marsh. For the Aussies its hardly forminable and Khajawa is in their.

Meanwhile, are boys are playing a 3rf rate team but seem to be doing ok bar Vince. Overton looks promising and Woakes looks like he ready to take on the challange-vice captain anyone?

We can only expect flat, bouncey pitches. Id wish wed have giving foakes a go with bairstow at 3 in the warm up games. I dont think well ever need 2 spinners in Aus. Would have also liked to see us play a decent team before the 1st test..a NZ A team or something wpuld have helped.

Im going for a series draw.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2017 23:14]

This is the One, I've waited for

Ashes Thread on 23:17 - Nov 16 with 4760 viewsSandyman

The omission of Ben Stokes is ridiculous IMHO. Typical English sporting establishment getting all moral to the detriment of the team. If a convict had done what Ben has been accused of doing, he'd be hailed a hero and nailed on for a place in the team. Our cricket establishment don't work that way.
Can't see us coming home with the Ashes this time. Much as I want us to.
Looking forward to being proven completely wrong
Ashes Thread on 23:29 - Nov 16 with 4750 viewsTVOS1907

BAGGYGREENCC_1885 will be along soon to ask what this has to do with Rochdale AFC.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ashes Thread on 00:38 - Nov 17 with 4705 viewsD_Alien

Ashes Thread on 23:17 - Nov 16 by Sandyman

The omission of Ben Stokes is ridiculous IMHO. Typical English sporting establishment getting all moral to the detriment of the team. If a convict had done what Ben has been accused of doing, he'd be hailed a hero and nailed on for a place in the team. Our cricket establishment don't work that way.
Can't see us coming home with the Ashes this time. Much as I want us to.
Looking forward to being proven completely wrong

Couldn't agree more. I think Stokes will play some part in the series, just hope it's not too late (especially now the lads who he was defending have come forward to give evidence)

But Stokes aside, we need to steer clear of injuries, which we're not doing. Our best XI are good enough to compete and maybe more than compete, but we don't have much depth in the squad. No.3 is still the problem position.

Really looking forward to it. Invested in BT Sport so I could follow it live - turns out a good decision

I like Root as captain and as he's just said, bring it on!

[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 0:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ashes Thread on 07:56 - Nov 17 with 4617 viewsaleanddale

Think the Aussies will go 1-0 up.

Brisbane is like what giggle used to be for bury! ( sorry Dale92 )

the second test then will give us a good indication on how the 2 sides shape up.

we have a good record in recent times at Melbourne and Sydney so it could turn into a great series.

On Paper we have nothing to fear. Hardly a tour de force Aussie team that we have played in recent times.
Ashes Thread on 09:13 - Nov 17 with 4584 viewsTVOS1907

Ashes Thread on 07:56 - Nov 17 by aleanddale

Think the Aussies will go 1-0 up.

Brisbane is like what giggle used to be for bury! ( sorry Dale92 )

the second test then will give us a good indication on how the 2 sides shape up.

we have a good record in recent times at Melbourne and Sydney so it could turn into a great series.

On Paper we have nothing to fear. Hardly a tour de force Aussie team that we have played in recent times.

I'm not sure how we've got a good record in recent times in Melbourne and Sydney; we've lost 5-0 in two of the last three series and lost 4-1 in the series before that, the Sydney win coming when we were already 4-0 down!

Only 2010/11 is the anomaly in all that.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2017 9:43]

Ashes Thread on 09:20 - Nov 17 with 4580 viewsScunnydale

I'm glad Stokes isn't going. With Foakes and Woakes there, I'd have got a headache listening to that.

While I'm not going to defend what he did, I'm not at all surprised it was the Sun that published the video. They've since tried to stick the boot in by saying the 'victim' was a war hero, and a few days later said that the guy was a 'homophobic bully'.

As far as the cricket goes, we're both teams going through a bit of a transition. Which ever team wins the series should get a boost.
Ashes Thread on 12:22 - Nov 17 with 4502 viewsD_Alien

Ton for Malan to add to Stoneman's, plus decent knocks for Cook, Root and Woakes against whatever standard the warm-up opposition is (no idea)

Wickets for the seamers and now the spinners too. If the conditions favour spin, I'd have no qualms about selecting both Ali & Crane (he can bat too)

If Stokes comes back (possibly the third test) I can see Malan moving to no.3, his county position, unless Vince pulls his finger out

Ashes Thread on 13:42 - Nov 17 with 4444 viewsNigeriamark

I think Brisbane is more important for us than them. Come away with something & I would say game on. If we go 1-0 down it will be tough to come back from that. Batting is fairly even with perhaps us marginally ahead if the new boys can get a few runs early on. Both sides have a collapse in them & could be there will be a winning result in most of the games. We are definitely going to have to hold onto our catches when they come along as I reckon we will get less than their fielders will off their bowling, where they have the edge
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 23:37 - Nov 22 with 4231 viewsD_Alien

We win the toss and bat

Ashes Thread on 23:47 - Nov 22 with 4221 viewsSandyman

Looking forward to the first few overs, and numerous disturbed night's sleep
Ashes Thread on 23:55 - Nov 22 with 4213 viewsmacro

At close of play will it be 300 for 2 or all out for 130???
Ashes Thread on 00:12 - Nov 23 with 4203 viewsTVOS1907

2-1, Cook out.

Ashes Thread on 00:13 - Nov 23 with 4203 viewsSandyman

Cook gone. Bolleaux.
Ashes Thread on 01:36 - Nov 23 with 4183 viewsDale92

Disappointing from Cook but a good ball. Great recovery so far...their bowlers look very disappointed that we arent falling like skittles so far. Vince really impressing but he always does till he gets to 30...lets see if they can continue that way. We cant allow them to have a 10 over spell when they get 2-3 wickets and get their tail up.

This is the One, I've waited for

Ashes Thread on 02:05 - Nov 23 with 4171 viewsdownunder

59-1 at Lunch.
Been told by someone with local cricket knowledge (He has played there for NZ Armed Forces), that Brisbane is tricky in the morning, and flattens out after that. Hoping for 300-2 in that case.
(Cue collapse) (for the benefit of the CG's)
Ashes Thread on 02:10 - Nov 23 with 4171 viewsD_Alien

Couldn't have started much better

Cook got a decent ball early on but Vince & Stoneman in particular have looked very composed

Aussies look puzzled :)

Ashes Thread on 07:29 - Nov 23 with 4127 viewsEllDale

Steady start so far. Nothing that the drama of Harmison's first delivery a few years ago!

Bit worrying that the wicket appears to be turning on the first day though. We've been educated to the fact that spinners are superfluous at the Gabba and that you need a battery of seamers.
Ashes Thread on 08:23 - Nov 23 with 4095 viewsD_Alien

Ashes Thread on 07:29 - Nov 23 by EllDale

Steady start so far. Nothing that the drama of Harmison's first delivery a few years ago!

Bit worrying that the wicket appears to be turning on the first day though. We've been educated to the fact that spinners are superfluous at the Gabba and that you need a battery of seamers.

Don't think Moeen will be worried about the spin, Aussies to bat last

Decent start, much depends on the first hour with the new ball tomoz

Ashes Thread on 18:15 - Nov 23 with 3994 viewsmingthemerciless

The Aussies will be pleased to have got rid of Cook and Root so cheaply. They'll always fancy their chances against most of our less experienced batsmen. As you say the first session tomorrow morning is critical. If we can get to around 250/260 for maybe the loss of only 1 more wicket our tail could get us to the 375/400 mark with a bit of luck. From what I read the pitch isn't as fast as it's been in the past on account of the rain they've had recently.
Ashes Thread on 00:26 - Nov 24 with 3910 viewsSandyman

So far, this early morn, Moeen and Malan playing proper steady test cricket innings'. With the new ball due, lack of runs may come back to bite us, but keeping them out (tweak tweak) is working, especially given dodgy weather forecasts for the next 3 days. A draw at the gabba would be a great result.

(cue playing for draws debate Mk II )
Ashes Thread on 09:32 - Nov 24 with 3824 viewspaulscho

we might need some rain after todays effort

livinginadalewonderland

Ashes Thread on 09:50 - Nov 24 with 3814 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Ashes Thread on 09:32 - Nov 24 by paulscho

we might need some rain after todays effort

Can’t see it being a draw, even if we lose a couple of sessions. If we can bowl them out for under 330, bearing in mind new ball will be due quite soon, I fancy us to win.

Can’t see cook and root failing again and Vince run out was silly, we could, and probably should have got 400. Get them out by tea, bat 4 sessions and set them 300 on last day 😋

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Ashes Thread on 00:22 - Nov 25 with 3726 viewsTVOS1907

Marsh out, 175-5

Ashes Thread on 01:26 - Nov 25 with 3688 viewsDaley_Lama

Oh JIMMY JIMMY

New ball does its stuff. Six down

Poll: DF in or out

Ashes Thread on 01:32 - Nov 25 with 3685 views1mark1

Ashes Thread on 01:26 - Nov 25 by Daley_Lama

Oh JIMMY JIMMY

New ball does its stuff. Six down

And now Stuart Broaf a c and b , after being hit for a six

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024