Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
M&S 19:10 - Nov 23 with 9425 viewsArthurDaley

In a blow to the not yet built Riverside development M&S have pulled out.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/114278/severe-blo

A large VAT Dave

M&S on 19:42 - Nov 23 with 6531 viewsrochdaleriddler

Domino effect now I reckon

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

M&S on 19:45 - Nov 23 with 6522 views100notout

M&S on 19:42 - Nov 23 by rochdaleriddler

Domino effect now I reckon

Dominos are a rip off anyway

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

M&S on 19:45 - Nov 23 with 6522 views49thseason

"As far as the council is concerned, Marks & Spencer has a legally-binding agreement to take space in Rochdale Riverside. They negotiated a deal as a key anchor tenant and committed to it knowingly and willingly. On that basis, Marks & Spencer should be under no illusion that we expect them to fulfil their legal obligation to Rochdale and the new retail scheme."

The probability is that M&S will hand back the £4.5m with a further payment that the Council can offer to another organisation to fill the void. I wouldn't expect anyone would want to go to court with all the associated expense.

In some respects, there is an inevitability that the shopping centre will struggle, there simply isn't the footfall or appetite for it in the Borough. Indeed high streets across the country are in decline as online shopping becomes easier, less stressful and avoids getting wet. Rochdale needs to concentrate on becoming a completely different town centre experience based on leisure and entertainment with boutique shops selling items that are largely unavailable elsewhere, with the focus on locally produced artisanal and craft items.
M&S on 19:45 - Nov 23 with 6520 views1mark1

Just hope that the penalty clauses are applied to the full to M&S.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

M&S on 20:00 - Nov 23 with 6489 views1mark1

M&S on 19:45 - Nov 23 by 49thseason

"As far as the council is concerned, Marks & Spencer has a legally-binding agreement to take space in Rochdale Riverside. They negotiated a deal as a key anchor tenant and committed to it knowingly and willingly. On that basis, Marks & Spencer should be under no illusion that we expect them to fulfil their legal obligation to Rochdale and the new retail scheme."

The probability is that M&S will hand back the £4.5m with a further payment that the Council can offer to another organisation to fill the void. I wouldn't expect anyone would want to go to court with all the associated expense.

In some respects, there is an inevitability that the shopping centre will struggle, there simply isn't the footfall or appetite for it in the Borough. Indeed high streets across the country are in decline as online shopping becomes easier, less stressful and avoids getting wet. Rochdale needs to concentrate on becoming a completely different town centre experience based on leisure and entertainment with boutique shops selling items that are largely unavailable elsewhere, with the focus on locally produced artisanal and craft items.

“In some respects, there is an inevitability that the shopping centre will struggle, there simply isn't the footfall or appetite for it in the Borough. Indeed high streets across the country are in decline as online shopping becomes easier, less stressful and avoids getting wet. Rochdale needs to concentrate on becoming a completely different town centre experience based on leisure and entertainment with boutique shops selling items that are largely unavailable elsewhere, with the focus on locally produced artisanal and craft items.“

Absolutely agree with what you say about the kind of Town Centre Rochdale should become. We should for example be utilising the magnificent Town Hall and the river making it a nice place to relax beside.

M&S on 20:13 - Nov 23 with 6444 viewsrochdale_ranger

Is the new riverside supposed to be similar to Burys Rock?
M&S on 20:20 - Nov 23 with 6424 viewsnordenblue

M&S on 20:00 - Nov 23 by 1mark1

“In some respects, there is an inevitability that the shopping centre will struggle, there simply isn't the footfall or appetite for it in the Borough. Indeed high streets across the country are in decline as online shopping becomes easier, less stressful and avoids getting wet. Rochdale needs to concentrate on becoming a completely different town centre experience based on leisure and entertainment with boutique shops selling items that are largely unavailable elsewhere, with the focus on locally produced artisanal and craft items.“

Absolutely agree with what you say about the kind of Town Centre Rochdale should become. We should for example be utilising the magnificent Town Hall and the river making it a nice place to relax beside.

Without jumping on the bandwagon of depression,I had to visit the Natwest on Tuesday early morning and the riverside,Town Hall and surrounding areas are far from a relaxing place,instead a very edgy and quite threatening environment riddled with mind bending drugs,im sad to say
M&S on 20:24 - Nov 23 with 6409 views1mark1

M&S on 20:20 - Nov 23 by nordenblue

Without jumping on the bandwagon of depression,I had to visit the Natwest on Tuesday early morning and the riverside,Town Hall and surrounding areas are far from a relaxing place,instead a very edgy and quite threatening environment riddled with mind bending drugs,im sad to say

Yes at the moment it maybe is, however with some thought and effort it could be made into a decent area, but I don’t think it will be.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 20:31]

Login to get fewer ads

M&S on 20:25 - Nov 23 with 6409 views100notout

"a very edgy and quite threatening environment"

Really? On a Saturday night / early Sunday morning maybe but on a Tuesday morning?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

M&S on 20:31 - Nov 23 with 6392 viewsrochdale_ranger

The trouble with Rochdale and the Town centre in particular is all the Smackheads and losers live right by the town centre. The amount of disingenuous beggers who beg in town that live on Falinge and the flats is unbelievable. The Police should be made to move them on like they have done in parts of Manchester city centre. I would not blame a business for not putting an outlet in Rochdale.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 20:32]
M&S on 20:50 - Nov 23 with 6342 viewsmingthemerciless

M&S on 19:45 - Nov 23 by 49thseason

Unfortunately you're right I'm afraid.

I thought something was wrong when I was in there yesterday. I overheard two assistants talking.
One said to the other " How are you feeling ? " The other one replied " What do you think after this mornings news ".

I thought it was bad news concerning the new store then.

I can't honestly say I'm surprised. In fact I'm more surprised we still have an M&S.
M&S on 21:13 - Nov 23 with 6286 viewsBURYFC_1885

Not to worry, you can visit Bury's new M&S instead!

Joking aside, where have Rochdale council gone wrong regarding the development of Rochdale as a place to shop? Bury is a smaller town than Rochdale yet enjoys a successful and expanding town centre. Bolton town centre has been declining for years and Rochdale has never been known for shopping. Maybe these factors have helped towns like Bury?

Bury I read is one of the fastest growing towns in the UK, not that this is particularly good... it depends who moves in of course, and causes further dilution of 'born and bred' Bury folk. Rochdale town centre I notice has undergone some redevelopment regarding the bridge over the River Roch and a new bus station. For the towns sake I hope businesses stay on board with this regeneration project as a town of Rochdale's size and location has real potential if done right.

Perhaps it's a case of reinventing the town? Now I don't admit to being a regular visitor of Rochdale but the town has always seemed to carry a stigma of being run down (said by some Rochdale friends). Yet there are some lovely areas around the town such as Littleborough, it's also not as much in the Manchester firing line as Bury (2 miles further north albeit there is now a metrolink) which could help create a more captive audience of shoppers... but where has it gone wrong for Dale if Bury seems to be booming... not a dig just curious.
M&S on 21:28 - Nov 23 with 6253 viewsmingthemerciless

M&S on 21:13 - Nov 23 by BURYFC_1885

Not to worry, you can visit Bury's new M&S instead!

Joking aside, where have Rochdale council gone wrong regarding the development of Rochdale as a place to shop? Bury is a smaller town than Rochdale yet enjoys a successful and expanding town centre. Bolton town centre has been declining for years and Rochdale has never been known for shopping. Maybe these factors have helped towns like Bury?

Bury I read is one of the fastest growing towns in the UK, not that this is particularly good... it depends who moves in of course, and causes further dilution of 'born and bred' Bury folk. Rochdale town centre I notice has undergone some redevelopment regarding the bridge over the River Roch and a new bus station. For the towns sake I hope businesses stay on board with this regeneration project as a town of Rochdale's size and location has real potential if done right.

Perhaps it's a case of reinventing the town? Now I don't admit to being a regular visitor of Rochdale but the town has always seemed to carry a stigma of being run down (said by some Rochdale friends). Yet there are some lovely areas around the town such as Littleborough, it's also not as much in the Manchester firing line as Bury (2 miles further north albeit there is now a metrolink) which could help create a more captive audience of shoppers... but where has it gone wrong for Dale if Bury seems to be booming... not a dig just curious.

Any dilution of " born and bred Bury folk " can only be an improvement if this post is anything to go by.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 21:29]
M&S on 21:34 - Nov 23 with 6232 viewsDalenet

This is due to the long delay from plan to execution. When the plan was first muted more retailers were interested including Debenhams. Since then high street retailers are pulling back in towns in favour of out of town or major cities.

The writing was on the wall when they pulled out of Oldhams development last year. As M&S want to close down smaller variety stores or convert to food only stores I don't think the future of the current store is great. There is hardly any choice left. If Next pull out then there won't be a new centre
M&S on 22:12 - Nov 23 with 6163 viewsmingthemerciless

M&S on 21:34 - Nov 23 by Dalenet

This is due to the long delay from plan to execution. When the plan was first muted more retailers were interested including Debenhams. Since then high street retailers are pulling back in towns in favour of out of town or major cities.

The writing was on the wall when they pulled out of Oldhams development last year. As M&S want to close down smaller variety stores or convert to food only stores I don't think the future of the current store is great. There is hardly any choice left. If Next pull out then there won't be a new centre

Visiting the M&S food store is one of the few reasons I have for going into the town centre. I just walk through the clothing section, I'm in my 60's now but I wouldn't be seen dead in any of their men's clothes.
I've already got a mobile phone and several pairs of trainers plus I don't want a tattoo. If M&S go that'll be it.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 22:18]
M&S on 22:12 - Nov 23 with 6162 viewsfinberty

M&S on 21:34 - Nov 23 by Dalenet

Agreed. Look at how long ago the buildings on Smith Street were flattened, then the black box and bus station. What has happened since? How can progress go from decisive and rapid, to torpor and inertia such as this? I notice a JCB in position on part of the car park at last. Is this digging the foundations at long last? Alas, too late. I do not see Rochdale MBC prevailing against the expensive legal resources of M&S, and a penalty clause is poor reward.
M&S on 22:14 - Nov 23 with 6153 viewssoulboy

M&S on 22:12 - Nov 23 by mingthemerciless

Visiting the M&S food store is one of the few reasons I have for going into the town centre. I just walk through the clothing section, I'm in my 60's now but I wouldn't be seen dead in any of their men's clothes.
I've already got a mobile phone and several pairs of trainers plus I don't want a tattoo. If M&S go that'll be it.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 22:18]

How about a kebab then?
M&S on 22:22 - Nov 23 with 6121 viewsmingthemerciless

M&S on 22:14 - Nov 23 by soulboy

How about a kebab then?

Err,no. I've more respect for my intestines.
M&S on 23:36 - Nov 23 with 6030 viewsSandyman

What worked in Rochdale for hundreds of years , and an integral part of our heritage, we lost in the 70's. It works now in bury and many other towns.

Get a proper indoor and outdoor market back instead of retail outlets you can find anywhere.
M&S on 07:02 - Nov 24 with 5879 viewsfinberty

M&S on 23:36 - Nov 23 by Sandyman

What worked in Rochdale for hundreds of years , and an integral part of our heritage, we lost in the 70's. It works now in bury and many other towns.

Get a proper indoor and outdoor market back instead of retail outlets you can find anywhere.

If the brains in the local authority read that, it'll be all back to the Exchange again.
M&S on 07:44 - Nov 24 with 5836 viewsEllDale

I think that a lot of the success of Bury as a retail town hinges on the market.
And Rochdale is never going to replicate that.
As for "undesirables" floating round Rochdale town centre all I can say that me and my wife like to sit outside the Regal Moon on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
Some of the things that you see are enough to deter most people from visiting the town again although we just laugh.
People staggering about with obvious stains where they've peed themselves, shocking language from drunken middle women tanked up on lager and one classic last summer where this grossly obese women took off her top and paraded around in her bra which she must have thought doubled up as a bikini.
And I wouldn't come to Rochdale on train/bus/tram if I thought that Britain First or whatever their latest name is were marching up and down. This happened twice last year and more or less put the town centre in lockdown.
M&S on 08:10 - Nov 24 with 5811 viewsjudd

I'm sure Fitzochris would agree with me in thinking that the new development should be centred around a supersized McDonalds.

Poll: What is it to be then?

M&S on 08:49 - Nov 24 with 5745 viewssoulboy

M&S on 07:44 - Nov 24 by EllDale

I think that a lot of the success of Bury as a retail town hinges on the market.
And Rochdale is never going to replicate that.
As for "undesirables" floating round Rochdale town centre all I can say that me and my wife like to sit outside the Regal Moon on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
Some of the things that you see are enough to deter most people from visiting the town again although we just laugh.
People staggering about with obvious stains where they've peed themselves, shocking language from drunken middle women tanked up on lager and one classic last summer where this grossly obese women took off her top and paraded around in her bra which she must have thought doubled up as a bikini.
And I wouldn't come to Rochdale on train/bus/tram if I thought that Britain First or whatever their latest name is were marching up and down. This happened twice last year and more or less put the town centre in lockdown.

I agree, but another problem is the town is too spread out, what they should have done in the 70s was concentrate on the Drake St area with its close proximity to the station and the fact it had several decent shops already.
As far as the drunks, all day opening is to blame for much of it, but if you think Rochdale has plenty, you ought to go to Blackpool. I took my dad about 3 years ago for the day and there were drunken trollops staggering about on every street. This was at 2 in the afternoon, many on hen parties. Im pretty broadminded but was disgusted at the non stop effing and blinding. God knows what state they must have been in later in the evening.
M&S on 09:09 - Nov 24 with 5714 viewsKenBoon

M&S on 08:49 - Nov 24 by soulboy

I agree, but another problem is the town is too spread out, what they should have done in the 70s was concentrate on the Drake St area with its close proximity to the station and the fact it had several decent shops already.
As far as the drunks, all day opening is to blame for much of it, but if you think Rochdale has plenty, you ought to go to Blackpool. I took my dad about 3 years ago for the day and there were drunken trollops staggering about on every street. This was at 2 in the afternoon, many on hen parties. Im pretty broadminded but was disgusted at the non stop effing and blinding. God knows what state they must have been in later in the evening.

Blackpool has half of Glasgow, which causes a lot of the drunks.
I think a "rock" style facility is being opened in Stockport today.
M&S on 09:30 - Nov 24 with 5687 viewsrochdaleriddler

I would have delayed taking the drugs until after my banking trip tbf

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024