Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale 21:22 - Dec 22 with 4317 viewsD_Dale

After winning 2-0 at Fleetwood tonight.

All the more important that tomorrow Hilly and the players do their utmost to secure three points.

It's surprising how Fleetwood have slumped - three points from the last eight league games.
And with a crowd of 2088 I doubt they'd have done much worse by playing tomorrow. Still, with a couple of hundred from Walsall, I doubt there'll be many more than two and a half thousand at Spotland.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2017 21:23]
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 21:30 - Dec 22 with 4293 viewsTVOS1907

They played tonight to allow Gillingham people to have more time with their friends and families this weekend, rather than getting home late tomorrow night.

I’d be very surprised if our crowd isn’t similar tomorrow.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 21:47 - Dec 22 with 4270 viewsmingthemerciless

Usually the lowest attendance of the season at most clubs.
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 22:06 - Dec 22 with 4241 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 21:47 - Dec 22 by mingthemerciless

One thing though......it would n't be as cold as last weekend.

and days are getting longer.
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 09:49 - Dec 23 with 4007 viewsdingdangblue

I've borrowed this from the bury board - interesting reading for any statto's out there:

"Since the advent of 3 points of win, the minimum number of points that would have ensured finishing out of the bottom four (discounting goal difference scenario) in L1 or its equivalent has been:

44 points: 1 season

45 points: 2

46 points: 1

47 points: 6

48 points: 5

49 points: 4

50 points: 3

51 points: 7

52 points: 3

53 points: 2

54 points 1

55 points: 1

In other words, 49 points would have been sufficient to ensure survival more times than not.

In the last 18 seasons (as far as the website I used for this analysis goes back) the bottom team at this stage of the season was relegated in 16 of those 18 seasons. It should be added that the bottom of the table is perhaps tighter this season than others in the past. Of the teams in the bottom four places at this stage, 31 out of 72 survived, so not too far off an evens chance."

Well at least Dale can't be bottom at Christmas - which nearly doubles our chances of staying up!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2017 10:00]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 10:28 - Dec 23 with 3946 viewspioneer

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 21:30 - Dec 22 by TVOS1907

They played tonight to allow Gillingham people to have more time with their friends and families this weekend, rather than getting home late tomorrow night.

I’d be very surprised if our crowd isn’t similar tomorrow.

Saturday is the 23 of December ....soon we will be avoiding playing in the month of december to avoid loved ones having to travel close to Xmas.

Looking at the attendence it looks like very few Gillingham fans took the opportunity to follow their team at the earlier date. I expect more would have travelled on a saturday than friday night.

None of this is about fans travelling...its all about players and officials having a longer break...poor things.
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 10:31 - Dec 23 with 3937 viewsRAFCBLUE

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 09:49 - Dec 23 by dingdangblue

I've borrowed this from the bury board - interesting reading for any statto's out there:

"Since the advent of 3 points of win, the minimum number of points that would have ensured finishing out of the bottom four (discounting goal difference scenario) in L1 or its equivalent has been:

44 points: 1 season

45 points: 2

46 points: 1

47 points: 6

48 points: 5

49 points: 4

50 points: 3

51 points: 7

52 points: 3

53 points: 2

54 points 1

55 points: 1

In other words, 49 points would have been sufficient to ensure survival more times than not.

In the last 18 seasons (as far as the website I used for this analysis goes back) the bottom team at this stage of the season was relegated in 16 of those 18 seasons. It should be added that the bottom of the table is perhaps tighter this season than others in the past. Of the teams in the bottom four places at this stage, 31 out of 72 survived, so not too far off an evens chance."

Well at least Dale can't be bottom at Christmas - which nearly doubles our chances of staying up!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2017 10:00]

It's a good piece of analysis.

If you take 50 points as the needed marker that would mean including today's game we need 29 points from 25 games which breaks into:

a) W9 D2 L14
b) W8 D5 L12
c) W7 D8 L10
d) W6 D11 L8
e) W5 D14 L6

Anything after that gets too unrealistic IMO and d) and e) are a push for me!

From Christmas games, we need to start thinking about those 9 needed wins.

Walsall - tough game today but winnable
Blackburn - I'm giving us little chance and hope we can keep the score down. They were decent at Spotland and I think will be better at home.
Doncaster - interesting given the cup game a week later. Draw
Blackpool - another tough home game but winnable

I'd take 6 points from these Christmas fixtures (however they come) which would make 29 points from 25 games become 23 points from 21 games. A small improvement in our predicament.

We've still got everyone to play again and know that there will be the odd surprise result in there.

Should mention also that our current goal difference at -5 is better than a number of those around us and that could be a big factor.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 12:12 - Dec 23 with 3807 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 10:28 - Dec 23 by pioneer

Saturday is the 23 of December ....soon we will be avoiding playing in the month of december to avoid loved ones having to travel close to Xmas.

Looking at the attendence it looks like very few Gillingham fans took the opportunity to follow their team at the earlier date. I expect more would have travelled on a saturday than friday night.

None of this is about fans travelling...its all about players and officials having a longer break...poor things.

Thanks, I know what the date is.

Maybe Gillingham wanted to train on Sunday (24th December, I believe) ahead of their Boxing Day game and felt it would be more beneficial if they could do so having not made the long journey back from Fleetwood the previous evening.

I imagine they approached Fleetwood about the change and they agreed.

Gillingham took 85 fans; I doubt they would have taken significantly more today.

Of course none of this is about fans travelling, although the EFL haven’t helped by scheduling such a long distance fixture on this weekend.

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 13:19 - Dec 23 with 3716 viewspioneer

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 12:12 - Dec 23 by TVOS1907

Thanks, I know what the date is.

Maybe Gillingham wanted to train on Sunday (24th December, I believe) ahead of their Boxing Day game and felt it would be more beneficial if they could do so having not made the long journey back from Fleetwood the previous evening.

I imagine they approached Fleetwood about the change and they agreed.

Gillingham took 85 fans; I doubt they would have taken significantly more today.

Of course none of this is about fans travelling, although the EFL haven’t helped by scheduling such a long distance fixture on this weekend.

Precisely, if the authorities really cared about this they would make sure fixtures were regionally based this and next weekend. They could also bring forward kick off times like they often do for the last weekends fixtures. There really was no NEED to move the game to Friday and It wouldbe interesting to know whether fans were consulted and if so what they said.
Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 13:37 - Dec 23 with 3684 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 13:19 - Dec 23 by pioneer

Precisely, if the authorities really cared about this they would make sure fixtures were regionally based this and next weekend. They could also bring forward kick off times like they often do for the last weekends fixtures. There really was no NEED to move the game to Friday and It wouldbe interesting to know whether fans were consulted and if so what they said.

There could be several reasons why both clubs AGREED to move the fixture, so as onlookers we have no knowledge as to whether there was no NEED or not.

Whenever a game gets moved, someone will always be inconvenienced. Take our game at Slough for example. It's just the way it is and always has been.

As regards local fixtures, it's not that simple to arrange four games in the next ten days with the minimum amount of travel for every single club. Take Plymouth and Carlisle as two extreme examples - two teams have to visit them and they have to visit two teams themselves; it's a logistical nightmare to satisfy everyone.

Although I do agree that Fleetwood v Gillingham and Plymouth v Oldham this weekend, and then Blackpool v Plymouth next weekend, could have been better.

At least we've been quite fortunate, with two home games and Blackburn and Doncaster away, but we also have a lot of options in close proximity to be paired with.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2017 13:46]

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 15:40 - Dec 23 with 3587 viewspioneer

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 13:37 - Dec 23 by TVOS1907

There could be several reasons why both clubs AGREED to move the fixture, so as onlookers we have no knowledge as to whether there was no NEED or not.

Whenever a game gets moved, someone will always be inconvenienced. Take our game at Slough for example. It's just the way it is and always has been.

As regards local fixtures, it's not that simple to arrange four games in the next ten days with the minimum amount of travel for every single club. Take Plymouth and Carlisle as two extreme examples - two teams have to visit them and they have to visit two teams themselves; it's a logistical nightmare to satisfy everyone.

Although I do agree that Fleetwood v Gillingham and Plymouth v Oldham this weekend, and then Blackpool v Plymouth next weekend, could have been better.

At least we've been quite fortunate, with two home games and Blackburn and Doncaster away, but we also have a lot of options in close proximity to be paired with.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2017 13:46]

I am not suggesting every team have a local derby...but even carlisle and plymouth have opponenets within their region. Plymouth have clubs like Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers, Accrington and Morecambe are just two teams that wouldnt require a long distance journey. If the authorities wanted to do it they could (and often used to if you look back in time).

It hasnt always been this way...we used to have a full fixture list on the Saturday before Xmas,no matter what date it was. the slough game was inconvenient but carried healthy financial compensation for the clubs (but not for the fans).

Bottom line is the authorities Can't be ar..ed.
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 17:43 - Dec 23 with 3456 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 15:40 - Dec 23 by pioneer

I am not suggesting every team have a local derby...but even carlisle and plymouth have opponenets within their region. Plymouth have clubs like Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers, Accrington and Morecambe are just two teams that wouldnt require a long distance journey. If the authorities wanted to do it they could (and often used to if you look back in time).

It hasnt always been this way...we used to have a full fixture list on the Saturday before Xmas,no matter what date it was. the slough game was inconvenient but carried healthy financial compensation for the clubs (but not for the fans).

Bottom line is the authorities Can't be ar..ed.

Can't be ar..ed with what?

I'm not sure what you're getting so irate about.

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 17:55 - Dec 23 with 3427 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 21:47 - Dec 22 by mingthemerciless

That's a thing of the past that disappeared as soon as the shops started opening on Sundays.

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 02:15 - Dec 24 with 3260 viewspioneer

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 17:43 - Dec 23 by TVOS1907

Can't be ar..ed with what?

I'm not sure what you're getting so irate about.

Cant be ar..d to organise modestly close games during the Xmas period. Take a look at todays fixtures in our division. We were probably the closest opponents. Most of the rest of the fixtures where long distance rivals. They probably couldnt have organised the fixtures in a way that involved more travel.

these long distance games could be organised as much as possible for start or end of season.
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 09:55 - Dec 24 with 3165 viewsTVOS1907

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale (n/t) on 02:15 - Dec 24 by pioneer

Cant be ar..d to organise modestly close games during the Xmas period. Take a look at todays fixtures in our division. We were probably the closest opponents. Most of the rest of the fixtures where long distance rivals. They probably couldnt have organised the fixtures in a way that involved more travel.

these long distance games could be organised as much as possible for start or end of season.

Why?

What's so different to Dale playing Southend in, say, September than in November?

The only odd thing to my mind is the unusually long distance involved in some of yesterday's and next Saturday's matches. Those on Boxing Day and New Year's Day are generally fine.

And regarding Plymouth, it's true that Portsmouth and Bristol Rovers are their closest opponents, but even they are miles away. Who else that is 'close' could they come up against at this time of year?

There are other issues, such as the Police may have requested the league avoid those fixtures at Christmas and New Year due to the increased crowds with its knock on to the policing required in and around the stadium.

It's impossible to please everyone.

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 19:54 - Jan 13 with 2747 viewsRAFCBLUE

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 10:31 - Dec 23 by RAFCBLUE

It's a good piece of analysis.

If you take 50 points as the needed marker that would mean including today's game we need 29 points from 25 games which breaks into:

a) W9 D2 L14
b) W8 D5 L12
c) W7 D8 L10
d) W6 D11 L8
e) W5 D14 L6

Anything after that gets too unrealistic IMO and d) and e) are a push for me!

From Christmas games, we need to start thinking about those 9 needed wins.

Walsall - tough game today but winnable
Blackburn - I'm giving us little chance and hope we can keep the score down. They were decent at Spotland and I think will be better at home.
Doncaster - interesting given the cup game a week later. Draw
Blackpool - another tough home game but winnable

I'd take 6 points from these Christmas fixtures (however they come) which would make 29 points from 25 games become 23 points from 21 games. A small improvement in our predicament.

We've still got everyone to play again and know that there will be the odd surprise result in there.

Should mention also that our current goal difference at -5 is better than a number of those around us and that could be a big factor.

To update this piece.

To get to 50 points from tonight we need 28 points from 20 games which breaks into:

a) W9 D1 L10
b) W8 D5 L7
c) W7 D9 L4
d) W6 D10 L1

Where can those wins come from:
Southend (h)
MK Dons (h)
Oldham (h)
Plymouth (h)
AFC Wimbledon (h)
Portsmouth (h)

After that, I'm now struggling.

No win away all season means that points on the road are a bonus.

We don't have the ability, in any case, to try and park the bus.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 20:15 - Jan 13 with 2678 viewsnordenblue

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 19:54 - Jan 13 by RAFCBLUE

To update this piece.

To get to 50 points from tonight we need 28 points from 20 games which breaks into:

a) W9 D1 L10
b) W8 D5 L7
c) W7 D9 L4
d) W6 D10 L1

Where can those wins come from:
Southend (h)
MK Dons (h)
Oldham (h)
Plymouth (h)
AFC Wimbledon (h)
Portsmouth (h)

After that, I'm now struggling.

No win away all season means that points on the road are a bonus.

We don't have the ability, in any case, to try and park the bus.

The points required remains the same just the games are reducing rapidly... we are left with a totally unrealistic points required based on our previous games and points return
Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 20:50 - Jan 13 with 2621 views1mark1

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 20:15 - Jan 13 by nordenblue

The points required remains the same just the games are reducing rapidly... we are left with a totally unrealistic points required based on our previous games and points return

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 20:51 - Jan 13 with 2598 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Gillingham move to five points ahead of Dale on 20:50 - Jan 13 by 1mark1

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=we+are+doomed+dad%27s+army&client=safari&hl=en

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024