Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Offside rule 23:14 - Jan 9 with 5300 viewsonedalefan

Can someone explain to me how an attacking player can stand 20 yards behind the last defender, the attacking keeper takes a free kick or goal kick towards that defender and the attacking player can come back and challenge for the ball and not be offside.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 23:23]
Offside rule on 23:15 - Jan 9 with 5293 viewsJimmyRustler

You can't be directly offisde from a GK.
Offside rule on 23:19 - Jan 9 with 5257 viewsTVOS1907

If you mean Matt Rhead in the first half, it was a Lincoln goal-kick (taken from the edge of the six-yard area, as the ball had gone out of play behind the goal) and you can't be offside from such a goal-kick.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Offside rule on 23:20 - Jan 9 with 5251 viewsdingdangblue

The opposition can't be offside from our keeper kicking it out?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Offside rule on 23:24 - Jan 9 with 5235 viewsonedalefan

Offside rule on 23:19 - Jan 9 by TVOS1907

If you mean Matt Rhead in the first half, it was a Lincoln goal-kick (taken from the edge of the six-yard area, as the ball had gone out of play behind the goal) and you can't be offside from such a goal-kick.

It wasn't just once and sure it also happened from free kicks.
Offside rule on 23:24 - Jan 9 with 5233 viewsTVOS1907

Offside rule on 23:20 - Jan 9 by dingdangblue

The opposition can't be offside from our keeper kicking it out?

That isn't what he's asking about.

In the first half, Matt Rhead stood about 20 yards behind our defence at a Lincoln goal-kick, from which you can't be offside anyway. I guess it's a tactic designed to get the defence to retreat a bit more.

When the ball was eventually touched on, he had moved to an onside position.

Offside rule on 23:26 - Jan 9 with 5221 viewsTVOS1907

Offside rule on 23:24 - Jan 9 by onedalefan

It wasn't just once and sure it also happened from free kicks.

I can only remember the one time in the first half.

if it did happen again and from free-kicks, it all depends when he becomes active. i.e., involved in the play.

Offside rule on 00:45 - Jan 10 with 5116 views49thseason

What upset me was that when Rhead was told by the ref to get his feet behind the white line at a free kick, his gut was still only 9 yards from the ball!
Offside rule on 08:40 - Jan 10 with 4876 viewsmingthemerciless

I've long since lost patience with the modern off side rule.
Login to get fewer ads

Offside rule on 10:51 - Jan 10 with 4693 viewsParkinsGimp

Not like Tony Ellis for PNE all those years ago then ? LOL
Offside rule on 21:28 - Jan 13 with 4192 viewsDiddyDave

On a different tack,did anyone see that second penalty for Forest last week when they beat Arsenal? The bloke slipped as he went to kick the ball with his left foot and it hit his standing foot before looping over the keeper into the roof of the net. The commentators were going off saying it should`ve been retaken,but I thought the law states that in any dead ball situation,if a player touches the ball a second time without it touching another player,the referee should award an indirect free kick to the opposing team. When did the suits (as Ken calls them) change that rule?
Offside rule on 21:50 - Jan 13 with 4168 viewsTipperaryDale

Offside rule on 21:28 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

On a different tack,did anyone see that second penalty for Forest last week when they beat Arsenal? The bloke slipped as he went to kick the ball with his left foot and it hit his standing foot before looping over the keeper into the roof of the net. The commentators were going off saying it should`ve been retaken,but I thought the law states that in any dead ball situation,if a player touches the ball a second time without it touching another player,the referee should award an indirect free kick to the opposing team. When did the suits (as Ken calls them) change that rule?

Correct - should have been a free-kick to Arsenal. Same as if you hit a penalty which rebounds off the post and then smash it in - no other player has touched it, and it's a free-kick to the defending team. Didn't Hendo cheekily duck under such a rebound and let another player score for us I seem to remember?
Offside rule on 21:54 - Jan 13 with 4162 views442Dale

Offside rule on 21:50 - Jan 13 by TipperaryDale

Correct - should have been a free-kick to Arsenal. Same as if you hit a penalty which rebounds off the post and then smash it in - no other player has touched it, and it's a free-kick to the defending team. Didn't Hendo cheekily duck under such a rebound and let another player score for us I seem to remember?

At Bradford. It was his best miss of the lot.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Offside rule on 21:58 - Jan 13 with 4149 viewsKenBoon

I don't think the commentators here said it should be retaken. That isn't praise though because they were too busy trying to figure out on supa-slo-mo from an impossible angle if it was hit twice, when the flipping trajectory of the ball tells you everything you needed to know.
Offside rule on 22:54 - Jan 13 with 4109 viewsTVOS1907

They didn’t.

Too many commentators and pundits don’t know the Laws.

Offside rule on 00:03 - Jan 14 with 4057 viewsDiddyDave

Offside rule on 22:54 - Jan 13 by TVOS1907

They didn’t.

Too many commentators and pundits don’t know the Laws.

Well,who would know these days? Changing the kick off rule,so they can pass the ball backwards straight away is ridiculous. The bloke who takes the kick actually has to stand in the opposition`s half of the field to do it ffs. As I said at the time,the kick off is one of the fundamentals of Association Football,but in the modern game maybe "the suits" decided that the ball now goes backward more times than it goes forward,so may as well start as they mean to carry on.
Offside rule on 00:29 - Jan 14 with 4047 viewsTVOS1907

Offside rule on 00:03 - Jan 14 by DiddyDave

Well,who would know these days? Changing the kick off rule,so they can pass the ball backwards straight away is ridiculous. The bloke who takes the kick actually has to stand in the opposition`s half of the field to do it ffs. As I said at the time,the kick off is one of the fundamentals of Association Football,but in the modern game maybe "the suits" decided that the ball now goes backward more times than it goes forward,so may as well start as they mean to carry on.

Can’t see a problem with that one personally. Is it any different to taking a free-kick or throw-in?

Offside rule on 02:25 - Jan 14 with 4015 viewsDiddyDave

Offside rule on 00:29 - Jan 14 by TVOS1907

Can’t see a problem with that one personally. Is it any different to taking a free-kick or throw-in?

Well I think so,it`s been the law since the year dot,so why bloody change it for change`s sake?
Offside rule on 02:45 - Jan 14 with 4009 viewsjokerthief

Offside rule on 08:02 - Jan 14 with 3965 viewsTVOS1907

Offside rule on 02:25 - Jan 14 by DiddyDave

Well I think so,it`s been the law since the year dot,so why bloody change it for change`s sake?

No idea, but it’s not worth getting so annoyed about.

Offside rule on 09:46 - Jan 14 with 3913 viewssteofthedale

So back to the offside rule.....

A player is now deemed to infringe the law when they become active having been in an offside position when the ball was played by a team mate.

They can only be offside in the opposition half but may become active in their defensive half. From where should any resulting free kick be taken?

steofthedale*

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024