Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From memory 14:11 - Jan 12 with 11464 viewskiwidale

a friend of mine just put a photo of Reg Jenkins on facebook and got me thinking about dale legends, so here is my pick from watching dale through the years, not recently of course so mainly old players from 60's and 70's

Manager Harry Catterick

GK Ted Burgin fantastic keeper
RB Grahame Smith proper legend
LB Stan Milburn a legend and half
RHB Laurie Galloway
CH Ray Aspen
LHB Joe Ashworth
OR Norman Whitehead a wizard unstoppable shades of Stan Mathews
IR Reg Jenkins best player ever in a dale shirt legend hero and saint
CF Frank Lord my first Dale super star
IL Billy Rudd superb outstanding played the game at his own pace
OL Denis Butler a genuine wide winger with 20 goals a season

bench
CF Tony Buck a phenomenal goal per game ratio always scored tragic loss
LB Derick Ryder
IL Ronnie Cairns
IR George Morton
LHB Joe? Thompson
GK Les Green
CF Joe? cant remember this lads name scored 20 goals 1967/8 season
OR David Storff
OL Colin Wittaker
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 14:26]

This is not the time for bickering.

From memory on 15:27 - Jan 12 with 5881 viewsjpresto

was the CF Joe Fletcher
From memory on 15:30 - Jan 12 with 5874 viewsD_Alien

From memory on 15:27 - Jan 12 by jpresto

was the CF Joe Fletcher

Yes, I think he meant Joe Fletcher

Scored 15 or 16 goals in 67/68 to end up as leading scorer (not 20+)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

From memory on 17:23 - Jan 12 with 5794 viewsdavidab2202

lets add from similar times gone by
Steve Melledew
Vinnie Leech
Steve Whitehall
Steve Taylor

In a nit-picking moment
Laurie Calloway
Jimmy Thompson
From memory on 02:17 - Jan 13 with 5676 viewsDiddyDave

Wow,that`s an amazing list of players from yesteryear. Naturally most are from the side that got us promoted in 1968/69,but names like Frank Lord and George Morton certainly have my cobwebs whirring. Can anybody remember Ronnie Barnes,Dai Powell,Jimmy Brown,Jacky Grant,Arnold Kendall,Joe Devlin,Jim Dailey who scored five against Hartlepool on Guy Fawkes Day,the Anders brothers,Jimmy Jones and Bev Glover?
From memory on 04:59 - Jan 13 with 5661 viewsBazzanne

I certainly remember Kendell and Anders as the best right and left wing combination we ever had. LHB Jimmy Thomson had legs like oak trunks, signed him from Oldham if my memory serves me well. Johnny Haines England B international spent his last year or so at Dale. We had a brilliant half back line with ????, Aspden and Thomson. Can't remember the right half's name but it was a great trio.
From memory on 06:48 - Jan 13 with 5637 viewsdavidab2202

From memory on 02:17 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

Wow,that`s an amazing list of players from yesteryear. Naturally most are from the side that got us promoted in 1968/69,but names like Frank Lord and George Morton certainly have my cobwebs whirring. Can anybody remember Ronnie Barnes,Dai Powell,Jimmy Brown,Jacky Grant,Arnold Kendall,Joe Devlin,Jim Dailey who scored five against Hartlepool on Guy Fawkes Day,the Anders brothers,Jimmy Jones and Bev Glover?

Certainly remember most of these players
Jimmy Jones was in goal for the first game I ever attended at Spotland in March 53.Port Vale and I think it was a no score draw.
Another name dragged from the back of the mind who on his day was another good winger----Doug Wragg.
On another post on this subject could Stan Hepton be the missing half back?
Think that Jimmy Thompson whilst previously having been at Oldham ,joined Dale from somewhere down South--possibly Exeter
Will remember Dailey's 5 goal haul for the very fact that I wasn't there (1st home game missed that season) as along with big brother decided to collect bonfire wood!!!!
From memory on 07:56 - Jan 13 with 5599 viewsBobbyjoe

I remember all on Kiwi's list, and bow to no one in wallowing in childhood nostalgia, but nothing will ever surpass the sheer, giggling joy of watching Paddy gliding past befuddled defenders like a kid in the park.
From memory on 08:40 - Jan 13 with 5574 viewskiwidale

From memory on 06:48 - Jan 13 by davidab2202

Certainly remember most of these players
Jimmy Jones was in goal for the first game I ever attended at Spotland in March 53.Port Vale and I think it was a no score draw.
Another name dragged from the back of the mind who on his day was another good winger----Doug Wragg.
On another post on this subject could Stan Hepton be the missing half back?
Think that Jimmy Thompson whilst previously having been at Oldham ,joined Dale from somewhere down South--possibly Exeter
Will remember Dailey's 5 goal haul for the very fact that I wasn't there (1st home game missed that season) as along with big brother decided to collect bonfire wood!!!!

Jimmy Jones was in goal for my first coup;e of seasons I remember him for his habit kicking the base of the goalpost.

Dougie Wragg yes another good winger was in the 62 leauge cup final team.

Stan Hepton signed from man city good player I was there at Ewood park for the second leg of league cup semi final when he scored the goal that put us in the final.

I remember Jim Daily but like you missed his 5 goal haul v Hartlepool.

Others that missed my list was Eddie Wainwright ex Everton and England. George Seiveright? ex Oldham legend bit of a clogger but that what fullbacks did back then, I started watching around 1957 the team included Vizard and Devlin.

Login to get fewer ads

From memory on 08:44 - Jan 13 with 5571 viewskiwidale

From memory on 04:59 - Jan 13 by Bazzanne

I certainly remember Kendell and Anders as the best right and left wing combination we ever had. LHB Jimmy Thomson had legs like oak trunks, signed him from Oldham if my memory serves me well. Johnny Haines England B international spent his last year or so at Dale. We had a brilliant half back line with ????, Aspden and Thomson. Can't remember the right half's name but it was a great trio.

Memory can be a bugger I remember Jimmy Thompson very good wing half around 1960 but I cant remember Kendal or Anders what era were they? I also dont remember Johnny Haines? what era was he?

From memory on 08:48 - Jan 13 with 5569 viewskiwidale

From memory on 07:56 - Jan 13 by Bobbyjoe

I remember all on Kiwi's list, and bow to no one in wallowing in childhood nostalgia, but nothing will ever surpass the sheer, giggling joy of watching Paddy gliding past befuddled defenders like a kid in the park.

Parkins gimp reckons they were all shite non league at best.

From memory on 08:52 - Jan 13 with 5564 viewskiwidale

From memory on 02:17 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

Dave did you live on brotherhood hall rd next door to Derick Howse? opposite side to the Hassetts.

From memory on 09:37 - Jan 13 with 5530 viewsmingthemerciless

The best right half from that era was Graham Cunliffe. He came from Bolton where he'd played First Division football for years without ever really establishing himself. Although he wasn't the biggest player he was quick and read the game really well, when he had to tackle he was very rarely second best. He always seemed to have bags of time. On the ball he was a neat and tidy player who rarely gave the ball away.
He only stayed a season before retiring to take over a newsagents shop. I couldn't understand why he called it a day, he was playing so well at the time.

I never saw McCourt play but if he was better than Norman Whitehead he must have been a good 'un. On his day Whitehead was top class, how he never made it really big is a bit of a mystery.
From memory on 09:49 - Jan 13 with 5509 viewskiwidale

From memory on 09:37 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

The best right half from that era was Graham Cunliffe. He came from Bolton where he'd played First Division football for years without ever really establishing himself. Although he wasn't the biggest player he was quick and read the game really well, when he had to tackle he was very rarely second best. He always seemed to have bags of time. On the ball he was a neat and tidy player who rarely gave the ball away.
He only stayed a season before retiring to take over a newsagents shop. I couldn't understand why he called it a day, he was playing so well at the time.

I never saw McCourt play but if he was better than Norman Whitehead he must have been a good 'un. On his day Whitehead was top class, how he never made it really big is a bit of a mystery.

I had forgot about Cunliffe and yes very good player and like you very very surprised when he retired can you imagine it happening today a player giving the game away to take on a newsagent shop? another that was top class maybe the best of the lot was Bobby Downes came from Peterborough I think superb player. Whitehead was for pure skill the best player I ever saw in a Dale shirt we signed him as an amateur from Skelmersdale united who produced several players who went on to play at the highest level including Steve Highway at Liverpool. I remember his (whiteheads) transfer came as a shock a straight swap for Lee Brogden from Rotherham, Brogden came with a big reputation but turned out a disappointment not sure what happened to Whitehead at Rotherham but never heard of him again.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 10:00]

From memory on 10:18 - Jan 13 with 5470 views1949er

Bobby Hoy and Paul Hallows?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

From memory on 11:09 - Jan 13 with 5426 viewsregjenkins

We have had some very good players over the years and thats a fact.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

From memory on 12:09 - Jan 13 with 5398 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 08:52 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

Dave did you live on brotherhood hall rd next door to Derick Howse? opposite side to the Hassetts.

No mate,I lived at the top end of Oswald Street and went to Heybrook School,then the Tech. I also missed Jim Dailey`s five goal haul,I too was collecting bonfire wood! Dale signed big Jim Thompson from Exeter along with a bloke called Brian Birch,Thompson had previously been at Oldham,so he was coming home in a way. Bert Lister could score goals,but also mainly for Oldham,think he scored seven one Boxing Day in a 13-0 thrashing of Southport. Anybody help me there?
From memory on 12:11 - Jan 13 with 5394 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 04:59 - Jan 13 by Bazzanne

The right half`s name might have been Norman Bodell?
From memory on 12:14 - Jan 13 with 5390 viewsEllDale

My first hero was Louis Bimpson, a big, rough, tough Scouse striker.
Then there was a winger called Colin Whittaker who opened a sports shop with Brian Green at the corner of Oldham Road and Charter Street. I used to hang round there hoping to catch a glimpse of him. I think that he played cricket for Rochdale as well.
I loved that 1969 promotion team though.
Another Scouser who could play was George Morton.
Two great midfielders in Vinny Leech and Billy Rudd who complemented each other with two wingers outside, Whitehead the dribbler and Butler the more direct. Bob Stokoe certainly found the right blend there.
I also liked Hughen Riley when he came through.
From memory on 12:22 - Jan 13 with 5382 viewsBazzanne

From memory on 08:44 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

Memory can be a bugger I remember Jimmy Thompson very good wing half around 1960 but I cant remember Kendal or Anders what era were they? I also dont remember Johnny Haines? what era was he?

Kendall and Anders both signed 1953. Same week I think. Jack Haines signed 1954. Played 1 game for England 1948 V Switzerland scoring twice in a 6 0 victory.
From memory on 12:31 - Jan 13 with 5374 viewsBazzanne

From memory on 12:11 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

The right half`s name might have been Norman Bodell?

I remember Bodell , could have been him. But I think not, the one I am thinking of had blonde hair, I think Bodell's was dark.
From memory on 12:33 - Jan 13 with 5371 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 09:49 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

I had forgot about Cunliffe and yes very good player and like you very very surprised when he retired can you imagine it happening today a player giving the game away to take on a newsagent shop? another that was top class maybe the best of the lot was Bobby Downes came from Peterborough I think superb player. Whitehead was for pure skill the best player I ever saw in a Dale shirt we signed him as an amateur from Skelmersdale united who produced several players who went on to play at the highest level including Steve Highway at Liverpool. I remember his (whiteheads) transfer came as a shock a straight swap for Lee Brogden from Rotherham, Brogden came with a big reputation but turned out a disappointment not sure what happened to Whitehead at Rotherham but never heard of him again.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 10:00]

Bobby Downes was good. Probably a better attacking player than Cunliffe but not as good a defender. He started out at West Brom before Peterborough but never played in the first team at the top level.

When Whitehead was in the mood he was devasting. I remember him running Sandy Brown ragged in that pre season friendly against Everton when I thought he was putting himself in the shop window. There were rumours at the time of a big money move to Man City shortly after that but nothing ever came of them.
Lee Brogden was a trier and pretty quick but in terms of skill he wasn't fit to lace Whitehead's boots.
From memory on 12:33 - Jan 13 with 5369 viewsEllDale

Yes, Bodell had black hair and I thought that he mainly played fullback. He later played for Crewe and had a successful coaching career.
From memory on 12:37 - Jan 13 with 5365 viewsmingthemerciless

My team from the past.

Les Green

Stan Milburn
Laurie Calloway

Graham Cunliffe
Ray Aspden
Joe Ashworth

Norman Whitehead
Billy Rudd
David Cross
Reg Jenkins
Dennis Butler
From memory on 12:38 - Jan 13 with 5362 viewsEllDale

I think that someone has already mentioned a righthalf called Brian Birch. He'd played at a good level at Bolton.

Has anyone mentioned Stan Milburn? Classy, solid, great professional.
From memory on 12:58 - Jan 13 with 5348 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 12:38 - Jan 13 by EllDale

I think that someone has already mentioned a righthalf called Brian Birch. He'd played at a good level at Bolton.

Has anyone mentioned Stan Milburn? Classy, solid, great professional.

Stan's name is first on the team sheet and he'd captain the side of course.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024