Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From memory 14:11 - Jan 12 with 11466 viewskiwidale

a friend of mine just put a photo of Reg Jenkins on facebook and got me thinking about dale legends, so here is my pick from watching dale through the years, not recently of course so mainly old players from 60's and 70's

Manager Harry Catterick

GK Ted Burgin fantastic keeper
RB Grahame Smith proper legend
LB Stan Milburn a legend and half
RHB Laurie Galloway
CH Ray Aspen
LHB Joe Ashworth
OR Norman Whitehead a wizard unstoppable shades of Stan Mathews
IR Reg Jenkins best player ever in a dale shirt legend hero and saint
CF Frank Lord my first Dale super star
IL Billy Rudd superb outstanding played the game at his own pace
OL Denis Butler a genuine wide winger with 20 goals a season

bench
CF Tony Buck a phenomenal goal per game ratio always scored tragic loss
LB Derick Ryder
IL Ronnie Cairns
IR George Morton
LHB Joe? Thompson
GK Les Green
CF Joe? cant remember this lads name scored 20 goals 1967/8 season
OR David Storff
OL Colin Wittaker
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 14:26]

This is not the time for bickering.

From memory on 13:17 - Jan 13 with 2000 viewsParkinsGimp

From memory on 08:48 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

Parkins gimp reckons they were all shite non league at best.

Dickhead!
From memory on 13:25 - Jan 13 with 1994 viewsdalenumber2

What was Jon Bowden like? Never saw him play but he's married into my family. Nice guy.
From memory on 13:30 - Jan 13 with 1980 viewsD_Alien

Norman Whitehead was good, very good. I recall him dominating the game at Villa Park (very unlucky to lose it 1-0) to the extent that Villa had three players trying to mark him at one point

But I still wouldn't put him in Paddy's class for sheer talent. Paddy could've been anything he wanted to be, or what his lungs would've allowed him to be

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

From memory on 13:31 - Jan 13 with 1981 viewsmingthemerciless

Decent footballer. Played off the striker but had a goal or two in him. He could put a foot in if he needed to. I wouldn't have messed with him out on the pitch.
From memory on 13:33 - Jan 13 with 1977 views442Dale

From memory on 13:25 - Jan 13 by dalenumber2

What was Jon Bowden like? Never saw him play but he's married into my family. Nice guy.

Really good footballer who we never really saw the best of on a consistent basis due to injuries and management decisions.

We brought him in as a midfielder but he also played at the back and up front, and when he did do well in the centre of the park (great strike v Bury in '93/94) others would then be back ahead of him for some reason. His performance up front at Shrewsbury in 92/93 remains one of the greatest centre forward displays I've seen, it was way above the level we were playing at and it was the first time we utilised him in the role. He was similarly excellent at centre half especially at Bury on one occasion where he looked to have more time than anyone else on the pitch.

If we had a player like him now we wouldn't be in trouble, that's how good he was as a player and a professional.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

From memory on 13:37 - Jan 13 with 1970 viewsD_Alien

From memory on 13:25 - Jan 13 by dalenumber2

Agree with Ming - edit, and 442

Jonny Bowden achieved something like cult status at Dale for his whole-hearted and usually effective approach to the game. How we could do with someone like him in the team right now
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 13:38]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

From memory on 16:32 - Jan 13 with 1904 viewskiwidale

From memory on 12:37 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

My team from the past.

Les Green

Stan Milburn
Laurie Calloway

Graham Cunliffe
Ray Aspden
Joe Ashworth

Norman Whitehead
Billy Rudd
David Cross
Reg Jenkins
Dennis Butler

I cant fault you for basing your team around the 1969 team, Im surprised you left out Vinnie Leach. My team was more of a potpourri of good players from my early days watching Dale. Hughen Riley and David Cross were two players developed at Spotland during the early 70s as was Alan Taylor. We definitely had some good players pity apart from 69/72 we never managed to get them all on the pitch at the same time.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 16:33]

From memory on 16:41 - Jan 13 with 1893 viewskiwidale

From memory on 12:33 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

Bobby Downes was good. Probably a better attacking player than Cunliffe but not as good a defender. He started out at West Brom before Peterborough but never played in the first team at the top level.

When Whitehead was in the mood he was devasting. I remember him running Sandy Brown ragged in that pre season friendly against Everton when I thought he was putting himself in the shop window. There were rumours at the time of a big money move to Man City shortly after that but nothing ever came of them.
Lee Brogden was a trier and pretty quick but in terms of skill he wasn't fit to lace Whitehead's boots.

That pre season game versus Everton was in my mind the best performance I ever witnessed from a Dale team Steve Mellowdew was outstanding that night. he was signed by Everton after that game based on his performance. Mellowdew was anothe player who would get into an all time Dale side in my view he was better than Dave Cross and although Cross went onto greater things than Mellowdew.

Login to get fewer ads

From memory on 16:54 - Jan 13 with 1878 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 16:41 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

That pre season game versus Everton was in my mind the best performance I ever witnessed from a Dale team Steve Mellowdew was outstanding that night. he was signed by Everton after that game based on his performance. Mellowdew was anothe player who would get into an all time Dale side in my view he was better than Dave Cross and although Cross went onto greater things than Mellowdew.

I agree regarding the Everton game. That's the best I've ever seen a ' Dale team play.
From memory on 17:01 - Jan 13 with 1866 viewskiwidale

From memory on 16:54 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

I agree regarding the Everton game. That's the best I've ever seen a ' Dale team play.

I don't think we quite believed what we had witnessed Dale out played the reigning Division one champions who played their full star studded team including Alan Ball I remember going to work the next day everybody wanted to talk about the result nobody could believe it.

From memory on 17:31 - Jan 13 with 1846 viewshammerdale

Oh for the days of an attacking partnership of George Morton and Reg Jenkins, skill and power they were a wonderful pairing.
From memory on 17:37 - Jan 13 with 1839 viewshammerdale

Blonde/ Red Head right half was Ron Phoenix
From memory on 17:39 - Jan 13 with 1832 viewskiwidale

From memory on 17:31 - Jan 13 by hammerdale

Oh for the days of an attacking partnership of George Morton and Reg Jenkins, skill and power they were a wonderful pairing.

I couldn't believe reading the Ob to find out we had released George Morton your right him and Reg were our star players I remember the season we signed Morton and Paul Moulden both were young players 19 or 20 years old. Moulden scored 2 on debut and was quickly sold after about a dozen games or so to Peterborough, in my mind Morton was the better player.

From memory on 17:41 - Jan 13 with 1826 viewskiwidale

From memory on 13:17 - Jan 13 by ParkinsGimp

Dickhead!

ha ha ha this place is ace.

From memory on 19:32 - Jan 13 with 1772 viewspioneer

From memory on 17:01 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

I don't think we quite believed what we had witnessed Dale out played the reigning Division one champions who played their full star studded team including Alan Ball I remember going to work the next day everybody wanted to talk about the result nobody could believe it.

They weren't the reigning champions, Leeds won the title in 68-9, but everton went on to win the title after we beat them. Harry Catterick identified all his teams faults that night and corrected them!
From memory on 19:43 - Jan 13 with 1760 viewsdogboy

lan
From memory on 19:56 - Jan 13 with 1756 viewsdogboy

From memory on 16:32 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

I cant fault you for basing your team around the 1969 team, Im surprised you left out Vinnie Leach. My team was more of a potpourri of good players from my early days watching Dale. Hughen Riley and David Cross were two players developed at Spotland during the early 70s as was Alan Taylor. We definitely had some good players pity apart from 69/72 we never managed to get them all on the pitch at the same time.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 16:33]

Whoops sorry Ian Imagine 69-70 season if Tony Buck had not been injured Dale history might have been different. Remember Tony Whelan and his fantastic dribbling skills having opposing fans amazed at his skills (Monkey chants in abundance) and Alan Taylor with his speed and stature that caught them
From memory on 21:18 - Jan 13 with 1724 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 17:37 - Jan 13 by hammerdale

Blonde/ Red Head right half was Ron Phoenix

We had another Phoenix,Peter,I think,played on the right wing,got him from Stockport. Another Blonde player was Alan Bushby who Dale signed from Scunthorpe,think his hair was actually white. Anybody remember Billy McCullough,a tough uncompromising Scotsman who played left back? Sadly,he got polio when that epidemic was on during the late fifties and died,though he`d left Dale by then.
From memory on 21:22 - Jan 13 with 1723 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 19:32 - Jan 13 by pioneer

They weren't the reigning champions, Leeds won the title in 68-9, but everton went on to win the title after we beat them. Harry Catterick identified all his teams faults that night and corrected them!

Whatever the faults were they won the title with the same 11 players give or take a couple.

Gordon West

Tommy Wright
Brian Labone
John Hurst
Sandy Brown

Jimmy Husband
Alan Ball
Howard Kendall
Colin Harvey
Johnny Morrisey

Joe Royle

Half of them were in the 1970 World Cup squad in Mexico and the ' Dale footballed them to death.

George Morton was a funny one. We turned down a big bid for him half way through the season and then released him in May !
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 21:24]
From memory on 22:43 - Jan 13 with 1690 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 13:17 - Jan 13 by ParkinsGimp

Dickhead!

He isn’t wrong, though, is he?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

From memory on 23:45 - Jan 13 with 1662 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 21:22 - Jan 13 by mingthemerciless

Whatever the faults were they won the title with the same 11 players give or take a couple.

Gordon West

Tommy Wright
Brian Labone
John Hurst
Sandy Brown

Jimmy Husband
Alan Ball
Howard Kendall
Colin Harvey
Johnny Morrisey

Joe Royle

Half of them were in the 1970 World Cup squad in Mexico and the ' Dale footballed them to death.

George Morton was a funny one. We turned down a big bid for him half way through the season and then released him in May !
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 21:24]

Re George Morton,that was typical of Dale. The worst one ever was swapping Billy Rudd for Alf Arrowsmith from Bury. Can`t recall if Len Richley was still the manager then,or if Dick Conner had taken over,but it left us completely gobsmacked as it came right out of the blue.
From memory on 00:21 - Jan 14 with 1643 viewskiwidale

From memory on 22:43 - Jan 13 by TVOS1907

He isn’t wrong, though, is he?

Have you got anything to add to this thread TVOS or have you just come on to be a gobshite?

From memory on 00:33 - Jan 14 with 1632 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 00:21 - Jan 14 by kiwidale

Have you got anything to add to this thread TVOS or have you just come on to be a gobshite?

Eh? I think you need to read the thread again in the right order.

I was agreeing with what you posted about ParkinsGimp, hence why I said to him that you weren’t wrong.

And I can’t really add too much to a thread that’s mostly about players who played before I was born!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 0:35]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

From memory on 00:58 - Jan 14 with 1624 viewsBazzanne

From memory on 21:18 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

We had another Phoenix,Peter,I think,played on the right wing,got him from Stockport. Another Blonde player was Alan Bushby who Dale signed from Scunthorpe,think his hair was actually white. Anybody remember Billy McCullough,a tough uncompromising Scotsman who played left back? Sadly,he got polio when that epidemic was on during the late fifties and died,though he`d left Dale by then.

Bushby was the right half I couldn't remember. Half back line of Bushby, Aspden and Thompson. Thanks for that.
From memory on 01:55 - Jan 14 with 1610 viewskiwidale

From memory on 00:33 - Jan 14 by TVOS1907

Eh? I think you need to read the thread again in the right order.

I was agreeing with what you posted about ParkinsGimp, hence why I said to him that you weren’t wrong.

And I can’t really add too much to a thread that’s mostly about players who played before I was born!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 0:35]

TVOS Im very sorry I read it completely wrong. I apologise for my comments I hope you can forgive me... Ive not got any ill feeling towards Parkins Gimp for calling me a dickhead I thought it was classic northern humour it made me laugh.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024