Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From memory 14:11 - Jan 12 with 11468 viewskiwidale

a friend of mine just put a photo of Reg Jenkins on facebook and got me thinking about dale legends, so here is my pick from watching dale through the years, not recently of course so mainly old players from 60's and 70's

Manager Harry Catterick

GK Ted Burgin fantastic keeper
RB Grahame Smith proper legend
LB Stan Milburn a legend and half
RHB Laurie Galloway
CH Ray Aspen
LHB Joe Ashworth
OR Norman Whitehead a wizard unstoppable shades of Stan Mathews
IR Reg Jenkins best player ever in a dale shirt legend hero and saint
CF Frank Lord my first Dale super star
IL Billy Rudd superb outstanding played the game at his own pace
OL Denis Butler a genuine wide winger with 20 goals a season

bench
CF Tony Buck a phenomenal goal per game ratio always scored tragic loss
LB Derick Ryder
IL Ronnie Cairns
IR George Morton
LHB Joe? Thompson
GK Les Green
CF Joe? cant remember this lads name scored 20 goals 1967/8 season
OR David Storff
OL Colin Wittaker
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 14:26]

This is not the time for bickering.

From memory on 09:08 - Jan 14 with 1323 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 23:45 - Jan 13 by DiddyDave

Re George Morton,that was typical of Dale. The worst one ever was swapping Billy Rudd for Alf Arrowsmith from Bury. Can`t recall if Len Richley was still the manager then,or if Dick Conner had taken over,but it left us completely gobsmacked as it came right out of the blue.

I thought Alf Arrowsmith was a decent player. He was all set to be a big star at Liverpool before he got a bad injury ( knee I think ). He did OK for the 'Dale but I agree Billy Rudd was badly missed.
From memory on 09:45 - Jan 14 with 1301 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 17:39 - Jan 13 by kiwidale

I couldn't believe reading the Ob to find out we had released George Morton your right him and Reg were our star players I remember the season we signed Morton and Paul Moulden both were young players 19 or 20 years old. Moulden scored 2 on debut and was quickly sold after about a dozen games or so to Peterborough, in my mind Morton was the better player.

Tony Moulden.

Paul Moulden, his son, played in 95/96.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

From memory on 19:26 - Jan 14 with 1235 viewshammerdale

George Morton carved himself a wonderful career in non league football with Bangor City scoring well over 100 goals, he returned to Spotland in our Fa Cup defeat to Bangor in 1972..He also played for Everton in both legs of the 1961Fa Youth Cup final. Had he had a little more pace he would have probably been an Everton legend.
From memory on 20:11 - Jan 14 with 1208 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 19:26 - Jan 14 by hammerdale

George Morton carved himself a wonderful career in non league football with Bangor City scoring well over 100 goals, he returned to Spotland in our Fa Cup defeat to Bangor in 1972..He also played for Everton in both legs of the 1961Fa Youth Cup final. Had he had a little more pace he would have probably been an Everton legend.

Yeah I remember the Bangor game. I can't say I recall George playing but that was a day to forget.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2018 20:23]
From memory on 20:20 - Jan 14 with 1200 viewsTVOS1907

Before my time, but the Bangor team was:

Clarke
Williams
Jones
Smith
R Hughes
Atherton
Penrose
Crossley
Marsden
J Hughes
Brodie

Goals scored by Marsden & Brodie.

George Morton moved to Bangor in 1967, but wasn't in the side that played at Spotland in the FA Cup, if indeed he was still with them then.

From memory on 20:23 - Jan 14 with 1191 viewskiwidale

I was there at the fa cup game v Bangor City (btw is Bangor a city?) when Morton was head and shoulders above anybody else. A fantastic player for us and as someone else mentioned we turned down what was understood to be a decent offer for him the same season and at a time when we couldn't give players away. Its still a mystery to me how such a good player went non league he was still only in his 20s and went on to to play for several years at Bangor...

found this on a Bangor City site which seems to contradict my memories somewhat.
Forward George Morton, another gifted goalscorer, with if I remember rightly some very bow legged legs! But that is not worthy of entry, what is remembered is George's eye for a goal and "cheeky chappy" persona which shone through on the dullest afternoon.
George Morton was born in Liverpool and began his career as an apprentice with Everton but moved on to Rochdale July 1962. Inbetween 1962-65 he made 147 League appearances scoring 50 goals, notching 55 in 161 in all competions. After leaving Spotland he moved to New Brighton.

From memory on 20:27 - Jan 14 with 1187 viewskiwidale

From memory on 20:20 - Jan 14 by TVOS1907

Clarke
Williams
Jones
Smith
R Hughes
Atherton
Penrose
Crossley
Marsden
J Hughes
Brodie

George Morton moved to Bangor in 1967, but wasn't in the side that played at Spotland in the FA Cup, if indeed he was still with them then.

well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs... I'm convinced Morton played in the FA cup game but I'll get my coat.

From memory on 20:28 - Jan 14 with 1184 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 20:27 - Jan 14 by kiwidale

well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs... I'm convinced Morton played in the FA cup game but I'll get my coat.

I think riddler has got it.

Login to get fewer ads

From memory on 20:28 - Jan 14 with 1184 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 20:20 - Jan 14 by TVOS1907

Clarke
Williams
Jones
Smith
R Hughes
Atherton
Penrose
Crossley
Marsden
J Hughes
Brodie

My post was meant to say I didn't recall George playing that game so I altered it. Was the Crossley Paul Crossley ? He was a Rochdale lad that had a few games with us before being sold to Preston in the mid 1960's. He knocked around the lower leagues for a while after that. Bangor's star man that day was their centre half and captain, he was an old pro who played at top level and got either a boot or his head to everything we could throw at them.
From memory on 20:35 - Jan 14 with 1174 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 20:28 - Jan 14 by mingthemerciless

My post was meant to say I didn't recall George playing that game so I altered it. Was the Crossley Paul Crossley ? He was a Rochdale lad that had a few games with us before being sold to Preston in the mid 1960's. He knocked around the lower leagues for a while after that. Bangor's star man that day was their centre half and captain, he was an old pro who played at top level and got either a boot or his head to everything we could throw at them.

I never saw what you wrote; it was hammerdale who said Morton returned with Bangor.

Paul Crossley never played for Bangor; he was with Tranmere at the time of the Bangor cup tie (and actually played over 200 league games for them) and later had two seasons with Chester, before playing in the USA.

From memory on 20:40 - Jan 14 with 1162 viewsdavidab2202

And Paul sadly died at the age of only 47 out in the States over 20 years ago
From memory on 21:02 - Jan 14 with 1142 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 20:40 - Jan 14 by davidab2202

Really, that's very sad news. I remember him playing for Hamer YC as a kid. He was a pretty quick right winger.
From memory on 01:47 - Jan 15 with 1105 viewshammerdale

From memory on 20:28 - Jan 14 by TVOS1907

I think riddler has got it.

Morton was definately in the Bangor squad that day, I remember speaking to him before the game about his Rochdale days. Can only think he must have been sub.
From memory on 02:26 - Jan 15 with 1087 viewskiwidale

From memory on 01:47 - Jan 15 by hammerdale

Morton was definately in the Bangor squad that day, I remember speaking to him before the game about his Rochdale days. Can only think he must have been sub.

Ws there subs back then?... I was convinced he played I still am but TVOS says he didn't as did another poster. I'm not questioning TVOS research he gets most things right or the other poster Ming's recollection although I guess I am. Maybe the match program, often printed mid week had a late change? maybe someone else who was there can confirm yes or no?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 4:44]

From memory on 03:53 - Jan 15 with 1078 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 20:40 - Jan 14 by davidab2202

Arthur Daley and myself played with Paul Crossley in the late fifties for Heybrook Junior School. Think it was 1958 we won the Cup against Meanwood,3-0 at Lenny Barn,little Johnny McIntosh scoring all three. Mick Wood was in goal for Meanwood that day,a really nice lad who I later met at the Tech,but sadly he`s no longer with us now either. Paul`s dad later arranged for all us kids to get a medal,we thought we`d won the FA Cup.
From memory on 04:20 - Jan 15 with 1074 viewskiwidale

From memory on 03:53 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Arthur Daley and myself played with Paul Crossley in the late fifties for Heybrook Junior School. Think it was 1958 we won the Cup against Meanwood,3-0 at Lenny Barn,little Johnny McIntosh scoring all three. Mick Wood was in goal for Meanwood that day,a really nice lad who I later met at the Tech,but sadly he`s no longer with us now either. Paul`s dad later arranged for all us kids to get a medal,we thought we`d won the FA Cup.

Nice story DiddyDave but sad to hear that Paul Crossley and Mick Wood not being with us. Mick Wood was a nice guy and a very good goalkeeper I knew him well played many a 10half time 20up games on Spotland Rec his dad had a pub in Norden so he always supplied fags after the games not many 10 year olds carried an endless supply of 20 Player or Captain Full strength in their pockets his dad must have known? That Meanwood team would have included Stewart Hartley and maybe Pete Coleman? Meanwood were always a top team I wish I went there with my mates unfortunately being a left footer I had to traipse across town to St Pats who when I played for them never won a game we didn't even score a goal. Think that team that Casper played for only not as good. We were so poor in them days we couldn't afford boots or shorts or a ball mind you the priest lived in the lap of luxury.

[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 5:59]

From memory on 07:20 - Jan 15 with 1048 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 04:20 - Jan 15 by kiwidale

Nice story DiddyDave but sad to hear that Paul Crossley and Mick Wood not being with us. Mick Wood was a nice guy and a very good goalkeeper I knew him well played many a 10half time 20up games on Spotland Rec his dad had a pub in Norden so he always supplied fags after the games not many 10 year olds carried an endless supply of 20 Player or Captain Full strength in their pockets his dad must have known? That Meanwood team would have included Stewart Hartley and maybe Pete Coleman? Meanwood were always a top team I wish I went there with my mates unfortunately being a left footer I had to traipse across town to St Pats who when I played for them never won a game we didn't even score a goal. Think that team that Casper played for only not as good. We were so poor in them days we couldn't afford boots or shorts or a ball mind you the priest lived in the lap of luxury.

[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 5:59]

I knew Stewart Hartley,good player and a nice lad. I remember playing St.Pats on Lenny Barn one day in the snow. As you say,they were bloody hopeless,25 minutes each way,we beat them 10-0. I knew the goalie who lived up Belfield,can`t recall his name now,but the poor kid was stood shivering on his line and I smacked the ball against the square crossbar whereupon a heap of icicles rained down on his head!! We also got them all out for 6 when we played them at cricket. Great days,all us kids who played for Heybrook couldn`t wait for Saturday mornings,we had a good side,but still lost a few.
From memory on 07:25 - Jan 15 with 1047 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 01:47 - Jan 15 by hammerdale

Yes, that’s possible, although the sub never came on so it isn’t in the records.

From memory on 07:28 - Jan 15 with 1046 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 02:26 - Jan 15 by kiwidale

Ws there subs back then?... I was convinced he played I still am but TVOS says he didn't as did another poster. I'm not questioning TVOS research he gets most things right or the other poster Ming's recollection although I guess I am. Maybe the match program, often printed mid week had a late change? maybe someone else who was there can confirm yes or no?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 4:44]

The team I posted is from the Observer and the National Football Archive. Neither of them mention the sub, but there would have been one as they started in the mid-1960s.

From memory on 08:38 - Jan 15 with 1029 viewsmingthemerciless

Stu Hartley later went to the Tech and Pete Coleman went to the Grammar school. I played with and against both of them many times. I even managed to keep Stu quiet for one game. No mean achievement because he was a real handful when he was in the mood. Two good lads.
From memory on 08:43 - Jan 15 with 1025 viewskiwidale

From memory on 07:28 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

The team I posted is from the Observer and the National Football Archive. Neither of them mention the sub, but there would have been one as they started in the mid-1960s.

I suppose those who say I shouldn't comment on games I haven't watched have a point. I cant even get it right about games I did watch.

From memory on 09:08 - Jan 15 with 1015 viewskiwidale

From memory on 08:38 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

Stu Hartley later went to the Tech and Pete Coleman went to the Grammar school. I played with and against both of them many times. I even managed to keep Stu quiet for one game. No mean achievement because he was a real handful when he was in the mood. Two good lads.

That's right Ming Stu Hartley went to the Tech he lived just down the road from me on Ings lane Pete Coleman went to the Grammar school he was posh his dad owned a shop on Rooley Moor road across from the white Lion. If you played against them on a regular basis you must have been a better player than me both played at the highest amateur level in Rochdale both stu and Pete started off at Milton then another top team who's name I cant remember? I knew a lot of the Milton team and most of the top players in town not that I was one of them, Its possible i might know you what teams did you play for?

From memory on 10:43 - Jan 15 with 1007 viewsmingthemerciless

I played against Stu at school and later on when I was playing for St Lukes in the youth leagues I played against both of them, I can't recall what team they played for. I was with them right in the early days at Milton before I got a serious injury and more or less packed in playing.

A gang of us used to meet up on TBA's ground on Sunday afternoons for informal games. Whoever could get out of bed by 2.00 pm after a skinfull on Saturday night. Geoff Foster would be in goals for one team. Johnny Langton, Dave Platt, John " Bunny " Harvey, Stu Hartley Peter Colman, Steve Wild , Robbo ( Alan Robinson ) , Keith Hill, Brian Gill, Nipper Harris, Paul Guy. Plus quite a few who's names I've forgotten. The nucleus of the Milton team I suppose. Good footballers all of them. I don't want to give too much away as I like my anonymity.

The other team you may be thinking of could be Nelson Nomads or maybe the Abbey ?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 10:56]
From memory on 13:49 - Jan 15 with 963 viewsjudd

From memory on 10:43 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

I played against Stu at school and later on when I was playing for St Lukes in the youth leagues I played against both of them, I can't recall what team they played for. I was with them right in the early days at Milton before I got a serious injury and more or less packed in playing.

A gang of us used to meet up on TBA's ground on Sunday afternoons for informal games. Whoever could get out of bed by 2.00 pm after a skinfull on Saturday night. Geoff Foster would be in goals for one team. Johnny Langton, Dave Platt, John " Bunny " Harvey, Stu Hartley Peter Colman, Steve Wild , Robbo ( Alan Robinson ) , Keith Hill, Brian Gill, Nipper Harris, Paul Guy. Plus quite a few who's names I've forgotten. The nucleus of the Milton team I suppose. Good footballers all of them. I don't want to give too much away as I like my anonymity.

The other team you may be thinking of could be Nelson Nomads or maybe the Abbey ?

Blimey, Ming, I had a pint with Keith Hill last night. Top bloke , for a Burnley fan.

Poll: What is it to be then?

From memory on 20:26 - Jan 15 with 900 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 10:43 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

There were two Steve Wilds. One was Bob Wild`s brother,the other called himself Billy,a small lad,very good footballer,think he joined the Royal Navy?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024