Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From memory 14:11 - Jan 12 with 11434 viewskiwidale

a friend of mine just put a photo of Reg Jenkins on facebook and got me thinking about dale legends, so here is my pick from watching dale through the years, not recently of course so mainly old players from 60's and 70's

Manager Harry Catterick

GK Ted Burgin fantastic keeper
RB Grahame Smith proper legend
LB Stan Milburn a legend and half
RHB Laurie Galloway
CH Ray Aspen
LHB Joe Ashworth
OR Norman Whitehead a wizard unstoppable shades of Stan Mathews
IR Reg Jenkins best player ever in a dale shirt legend hero and saint
CF Frank Lord my first Dale super star
IL Billy Rudd superb outstanding played the game at his own pace
OL Denis Butler a genuine wide winger with 20 goals a season

bench
CF Tony Buck a phenomenal goal per game ratio always scored tragic loss
LB Derick Ryder
IL Ronnie Cairns
IR George Morton
LHB Joe? Thompson
GK Les Green
CF Joe? cant remember this lads name scored 20 goals 1967/8 season
OR David Storff
OL Colin Wittaker
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 14:26]

This is not the time for bickering.

From memory on 21:05 - Jan 15 with 1074 viewsjudd

From memory on 20:26 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

There were two Steve Wilds. One was Bob Wild`s brother,the other called himself Billy,a small lad,very good footballer,think he joined the Royal Navy?

Bob Wild was with Keith Hill last night. Really funny guy

Poll: What is it to be then?

From memory on 21:09 - Jan 15 with 1080 viewsmingthemerciless

" Billy " was the one I knew. Good little player, ball playing midfielder at eleven a side but a terrific four a side player down at Broadwater. I knew him when he played for Whipp & Bourne with Steve Mellodew, Joe Heywood, Trevor Tuck, Jim McCarthy, Alex Maxwell, John Cullen, Robbo, Manny etc.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 21:10]
From memory on 21:30 - Jan 15 with 1040 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 21:09 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

" Billy " was the one I knew. Good little player, ball playing midfielder at eleven a side but a terrific four a side player down at Broadwater. I knew him when he played for Whipp & Bourne with Steve Mellodew, Joe Heywood, Trevor Tuck, Jim McCarthy, Alex Maxwell, John Cullen, Robbo, Manny etc.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 21:10]

Now yer talking Ming,those nights at Broadwater Youth Club were summat special. Those five a side tournaments I`ll never forget,a lot of my mates played in those,some you`ve already mentioned playing on TBA`s ground. We had a similar thing playing on Heybrook`s ground in the summer till it went dark about 10pm. As I said,great days.
From memory (n/t) on 21:33 - Jan 15 with 1037 viewshammerdale

From memory on 21:30 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Now yer talking Ming,those nights at Broadwater Youth Club were summat special. Those five a side tournaments I`ll never forget,a lot of my mates played in those,some you`ve already mentioned playing on TBA`s ground. We had a similar thing playing on Heybrook`s ground in the summer till it went dark about 10pm. As I said,great days.

From memory on 21:35 - Jan 15 with 1031 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 21:05 - Jan 15 by judd

Bob Wild was with Keith Hill last night. Really funny guy

Hi Judd,next time you see Bob,have a pint for me. He got me out to NZ in 1972,great lad,a real character.
From memory on 21:41 - Jan 15 with 1022 viewsmingthemerciless

I've not seen Bob Wild for a while. He used to be regular in the bar at Hornets not that long ago. He was a character all right. I bet he could tell a tale or two. Both him and his pal ( Stuart Chadwick ? ) went out to New Zealand with nothing and came back loaded.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 21:43]
From memory on 21:45 - Jan 15 with 1017 viewshammerdale

From memory on 21:30 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Diddy

.If you are who I think you are I went to Heybrook junior bet 58 and 62 then on to Rochdale Tech.I have a feeling you were asked to look after me on an away trip to Chester in Jan 1961.on Ellen Smiths coach. Dale lost 3 -1 Jack Pollitt scored our goal late on .I think my mum knew yours and asked your Mum if you would look after me as it was my first away trip.There was a bloke who always sat on front nearside seat on coach went to all away games Smiths ran a coach to.
From memory on 21:54 - Jan 15 with 996 viewsjudd

From memory on 21:35 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Hi Judd,next time you see Bob,have a pint for me. He got me out to NZ in 1972,great lad,a real character.

He's a real character . Certainly lived his life to the full. He's the father in law of a former Dale midfielder. I will probably see him again either Thursday or Sunday.

Login to get fewer ads

From memory on 21:56 - Jan 15 with 993 viewsjudd

From memory on 21:41 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

I've not seen Bob Wild for a while. He used to be regular in the bar at Hornets not that long ago. He was a character all right. I bet he could tell a tale or two. Both him and his pal ( Stuart Chadwick ? ) went out to New Zealand with nothing and came back loaded.

I think he stopped going when Shanksy had his stroke. Absolute character. Love having a beer with him and Hilly.

From memory on 22:07 - Jan 15 with 991 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 21:41 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

Not strictly correct,Bob went out with Cliff Blackford late sixties,Stuart Chadwick went out with Fred Helliwell early seventies. We all met up one day at the Bondi Hotel in 1974. I met Bob at Sudden Club when he went back to Rochdale for a year before he headed back to NZ and I followed about a month later,he got me a job at a posh hotel he worked at. He went back for good late `74 with just about nothing,but got onto the markets,then bought a clothes shop in Norden,converted it into a video shop and went on from there. Stuart also went back with bugger all,but made all his money from doing up houses in Rochdale with his half brother and made a mint as you say.
From memory on 22:17 - Jan 15 with 985 viewsTVOS1907

From memory on 21:54 - Jan 15 by judd

He's a real character . Certainly lived his life to the full. He's the father in law of a former Dale midfielder. I will probably see him again either Thursday or Sunday.

Does he shop at Asda?

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

From memory on 22:21 - Jan 15 with 970 viewsjudd

From memory on 22:17 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

Does he shop at Asda?

If he shopped there I'd be name dropping nicknames like I'm summat special

From memory on 22:28 - Jan 15 with 962 viewsjudd

From memory on 22:07 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Not strictly correct,Bob went out with Cliff Blackford late sixties,Stuart Chadwick went out with Fred Helliwell early seventies. We all met up one day at the Bondi Hotel in 1974. I met Bob at Sudden Club when he went back to Rochdale for a year before he headed back to NZ and I followed about a month later,he got me a job at a posh hotel he worked at. He went back for good late `74 with just about nothing,but got onto the markets,then bought a clothes shop in Norden,converted it into a video shop and went on from there. Stuart also went back with bugger all,but made all his money from doing up houses in Rochdale with his half brother and made a mint as you say.

Bob opened.Village Video and added sunbeds then became Bargain Booze. Moved to Spain after a while.

From memory on 22:34 - Jan 15 with 965 viewskiwidale

From memory on 22:07 - Jan 15 by DiddyDave

Flippin eck! they say there is only 3 degrees of separation in the internet age it used to be 6 in the 70s... I have a link to all those you mention including you Dave? Ive got a picture of Bob Wild and Cliff Blackford taken in the Sun Hotel prior to them leaving for NZ Im living here in NZ through the same link as mentioned which is kinda freaky. I know Fred Helliwell and possibly Stuart Chadwick but just cant fit them into the jigsaw.

btw Dave did you get my private message?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 22:35]

From memory on 22:38 - Jan 15 with 952 viewsjudd

From memory on 22:34 - Jan 15 by kiwidale

Flippin eck! they say there is only 3 degrees of separation in the internet age it used to be 6 in the 70s... I have a link to all those you mention including you Dave? Ive got a picture of Bob Wild and Cliff Blackford taken in the Sun Hotel prior to them leaving for NZ Im living here in NZ through the same link as mentioned which is kinda freaky. I know Fred Helliwell and possibly Stuart Chadwick but just cant fit them into the jigsaw.

Oh yeah. You know fook all about Bob Wild.

Only kidding

From memory on 22:59 - Jan 15 with 934 viewsmingthemerciless

Was Cliff Blackford a Scouser ? I knew Stuart and Fred. Stuart died years ago, I don't know what happened to Fred.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2018 23:00]
From memory on 23:07 - Jan 15 with 922 viewskiwidale

From memory on 22:59 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

Was Cliff Blackford a Scouser ? I knew Stuart and Fred. Stuart died years ago, I don't know what happened to Fred.

Cliff was born in Auckland and raised in Liverpool from age 3 till arriving in Littlebourogh aged 11 or 12 his mother Betty was a Kiwi girl his dad also called Cliff was a scouser. For those old enough to remember who wondered why the Sun hotel had a team in the Littleborough Sunday league circa 1970's called kiwis that was the link it was Betty Blackfords daft idea.

From memory on 23:53 - Jan 15 with 903 viewskiwidale

From memory on 22:38 - Jan 15 by judd

Oh yeah. You know fook all about Bob Wild.

Only kidding

Bob Wild who is he? Ive never met the bloke or seen him play... doesn't mean I cant have my opinion of him.

I would send my regards to Bob Wild but he wouldn't know me from Adam or care however he would immediately know the link if he did know who I am. next time you meet him tell him (again he probably wont give a ???) that Cliff/Lee Blackford jnr is now back living in Queenstown NZ he's ok but having some health issues as is his wife who has never recovered from a stroke that's left her partially disabled. Both Cliff snr and Betty Blackford are deceased. Betty was a lovely Lady she died far too early from a recurrence of cancer she left a massive hole in the Family and Cliff lived to a ripe old age 87 or so.

From memory on 02:53 - Jan 16 with 872 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 22:34 - Jan 15 by kiwidale

Yes,thank you,I`ve just replied,but not sure if it went thru. Let me know.
From memory on 03:01 - Jan 16 with 871 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 21:45 - Jan 15 by hammerdale

Diddy

.If you are who I think you are I went to Heybrook junior bet 58 and 62 then on to Rochdale Tech.I have a feeling you were asked to look after me on an away trip to Chester in Jan 1961.on Ellen Smiths coach. Dale lost 3 -1 Jack Pollitt scored our goal late on .I think my mum knew yours and asked your Mum if you would look after me as it was my first away trip.There was a bloke who always sat on front nearside seat on coach went to all away games Smiths ran a coach to.

Sorry mate,I honestly can`t recall that,though I used Ellen Smiths all the time as I only lived fifty or sixty yards away at the top end of Oswald Street. My mum was called Dorothy,if you`re mum`s still alive maybe she could help you there. It`s possible,I just can`t remember it,so don`t think it was. All the kids called me Tommy in those days.
From memory on 03:17 - Jan 16 with 869 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 22:59 - Jan 15 by mingthemerciless

Stuart owned a lot of property as you will know. I heard he owned land in Cairns,Queensland and a farm in Western Australia,who,I heard,he let Fred live on and presumably look after. When Stuart died,I`m not sure what happened to the farm,whether June got it back or whether Fred stayed out there. Maybe neither,somebody else might know?
From memory on 05:08 - Jan 16 with 855 viewshammerdale

From memory on 03:01 - Jan 16 by DiddyDave

Sorry mate,I honestly can`t recall that,though I used Ellen Smiths all the time as I only lived fifty or sixty yards away at the top end of Oswald Street. My mum was called Dorothy,if you`re mum`s still alive maybe she could help you there. It`s possible,I just can`t remember it,so don`t think it was. All the kids called me Tommy in those days.

Dave do you have a brother called Richard?
From memory on 08:44 - Jan 16 with 823 viewsmingthemerciless

From memory on 23:53 - Jan 15 by kiwidale

Bob Wild who is he? Ive never met the bloke or seen him play... doesn't mean I cant have my opinion of him.

I would send my regards to Bob Wild but he wouldn't know me from Adam or care however he would immediately know the link if he did know who I am. next time you meet him tell him (again he probably wont give a ???) that Cliff/Lee Blackford jnr is now back living in Queenstown NZ he's ok but having some health issues as is his wife who has never recovered from a stroke that's left her partially disabled. Both Cliff snr and Betty Blackford are deceased. Betty was a lovely Lady she died far too early from a recurrence of cancer she left a massive hole in the Family and Cliff lived to a ripe old age 87 or so.

Bob Wild never played much football as far as I know. He was a Rugby League lad. I remember Cliff, he was always having his photograph taken as I recall. He was the original selfie king.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 8:45]
From memory on 10:53 - Jan 16 with 794 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 05:08 - Jan 16 by hammerdale

Dave do you have a brother called Richard?

Yes,well I did,he passed away about fifteen months ago in New Zealand. So it looks like it was me! I`ve been racking my brains as I usually have a good memory for these things,but alas I`m not coming up with anything. If you`d like to send me a personal message to let me know who you are,maybe the fog in my upper four inches might begin to clear.
All the best to you anyway.
From memory on 11:14 - Jan 16 with 784 viewsDiddyDave

From memory on 10:53 - Jan 16 by DiddyDave

Yes,well I did,he passed away about fifteen months ago in New Zealand. So it looks like it was me! I`ve been racking my brains as I usually have a good memory for these things,but alas I`m not coming up with anything. If you`d like to send me a personal message to let me know who you are,maybe the fog in my upper four inches might begin to clear.
All the best to you anyway.

Actually I think I know who you are now having noticed your Forum name,you were a West Ham supporter. Am I correct in saying that your initials are GB and that you lived on West Street next to Rod Parker? Pretty sure I`m right,so send me a message if you`d like. I often wondered what happened to you,your mum was a lovely lady. Think your dad played professionally in Scotland?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024