Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old school query 13:25 - Jan 20 with 11561 viewsBeechball

Bit of a speculative question here

Does anyone know if Kevin Andrews who used to teach Games at St Wilfrids is still alive and kicking ?
Old school query on 13:27 - Jan 20 with 8071 viewsfitzochris

Is it the same ‘Mr Andrews’ who continued to teach PE at St Cuthbert’s in tandem with Mr Skilling?

I don’t know his current status, but remember him as the good cop to Skilling’s bad.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 with 8048 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 13:27 - Jan 20 by fitzochris

Is it the same ‘Mr Andrews’ who continued to teach PE at St Cuthbert’s in tandem with Mr Skilling?

I don’t know his current status, but remember him as the good cop to Skilling’s bad.

It certainly is the same man,Mr Skilling was a quality rugby teacher and his wife was my form teacher for a while,and still seen regularly at Rochdale RUFC
Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 with 8046 viewsEllDale

He was alright was Kevin Andrews.
Used to coach football at St Wilfrids along with Mike Henstock and a guy called John Vincent who emigrated to Australia.
PE teacher was John Metcalfe who died a few years ago in a motorscrambling accident I think.
When Kev went to Bishop Henshaw he worked alongside a man called Brian O'Connor who passed away not long ago I seem to remember.
Old school query on 13:33 - Jan 20 with 8029 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 by EllDale

Used to coach football at St Wilfrids along with Mike Henstock and a guy called John Vincent who emigrated to Australia.
PE teacher was John Metcalfe who died a few years ago in a motorscrambling accident I think.
When Kev went to Bishop Henshaw he worked alongside a man called Brian O'Connor who passed away not long ago I seem to remember.

You're sadly right about Mr Metcalfe passing away too
Old school query on 13:33 - Jan 20 with 8031 viewsfitzochris

Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 by nordenblue

It certainly is the same man,Mr Skilling was a quality rugby teacher and his wife was my form teacher for a while,and still seen regularly at Rochdale RUFC

Skilling was a good teacher. A lot of people hated him but he was fine as long as you tried. I was alright at football, cricket, running etc, but absolutely shite at rugby. I still got stuck in, though, so he was okay with me. It was those who tried to hide that got it from him.

Andrews was the opposite. I stilll chuckle at his constant mantra of “Wide - one run” as an entire class struggled to bowl a decent ball for an entire innings.

Old school query on 13:37 - Jan 20 with 8006 viewsEllDale

Perhaps it's my inverted snobbery but I always used to thing that Mr Skilling tended to look down on people who told him that they actually preferred rugby league to union.

He wasn't a bad cricketer either - I remember him bowling for Rochdale.
Old school query on 13:47 - Jan 20 with 7969 viewsClivert

Old school query on 13:33 - Jan 20 by fitzochris

Skilling was a good teacher. A lot of people hated him but he was fine as long as you tried. I was alright at football, cricket, running etc, but absolutely shite at rugby. I still got stuck in, though, so he was okay with me. It was those who tried to hide that got it from him.

Andrews was the opposite. I stilll chuckle at his constant mantra of “Wide - one run” as an entire class struggled to bowl a decent ball for an entire innings.

True that about Skilling, he was alright with you if you were good at sports or as you say at least tried. Skilling was at the afternoon with Keith Hill in December 2016 at RCC and while I was chatting to him he was in good spirits and had nothing but good things to say about the year group I was in.

Andrews was a proper football man and a Burnley fan if I remember correctly, he seemed to have every single pupil’s PB remembered on the dreaded ‘football pitch run’ as he’d be staring into his stopclock shouting ‘you’ve just beaten your personal best Sir!’ more often than not as you crossed the finish line.

Happy days indeed.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 15:21]
Old school query on 14:37 - Jan 20 with 7876 viewsR17ALE

Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 by nordenblue

I've seen the word "quality" on here several times.

And sadly, the word "rugby".

Never thought I'd see them used together!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Old school query on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 7867 viewsD_Alien

Old school query on 13:30 - Jan 20 by EllDale

Sad to hear that about John Metcalfe. He used to coach me on the odd-shaped athletics track at Wilfrids. When it was time for the cross-country run on the moors above the Oxford Inn, he'd sometimes use his scrambling bike to follow us and make sure no-one was cheating.

Agree about Kevin Andrews too. Whenever he had to announce something from the stage during assembly, the vein on the left side of his temple used to stand out, a bit like Stressed Eric. Universally liked.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Old school query on 15:16 - Jan 20 with 7807 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 14:37 - Jan 20 by R17ALE

Very much so, the once "beautiful game" of football could do a lot worse than learn a fair bit from both codes of rugby.........theyve only just picked up on the VAR system yet somehow still manage to fook that up

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"
Old school query on 15:22 - Jan 20 with 7786 viewsClivert

Old school query on 14:37 - Jan 20 by R17ALE

Aye, he only liked me because I was a decent batsman for his school cricket team.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 15:22]
Old school query on 12:33 - Jan 21 with 7620 viewsBeechball

Thanks for your memories guys ! I guess no one can answer the original question.
Old school query on 12:58 - Jan 21 with 7555 viewskiwidale

Old school query on 12:33 - Jan 21 by Beechball

Thanks for your memories guys ! I guess no one can answer the original question.

Can I add Is Mick Henshaw still around? sound as a pound was Mick. He was theonly teacher I met socially after leaving school thank goodness. I was only about 18 when I would bump into him around town I always felt I should hide my fags from him but he remembered me clearly from school. We would talk about the lads who played for the school team he treated me as an adult which unnerved m a little not something that he wiped off his shoes, If on the off chance he reads this forum I would like to say Hi Mr Henshaw, he is the only teacher I remember with any fondness probably because I was never in his class, he would then have treated me like the t wat I was.

This is not the time for bickering.

Old school query on 13:03 - Jan 21 with 7543 viewsKoober1974

There is a group on Facebook that can help. Think it's called remembering St Wilfreds.
Old school query on 13:44 - Jan 21 with 7478 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 12:33 - Jan 21 by Beechball

Mr Wheatley who taught geography (??) still attends in the Sandy I'm sure he'd have a definitive answer if asked?
Old school query on 13:53 - Jan 21 with 7456 viewsNafelad

Kev is very much alive (don't know about the kicking) - we meet up regularly as a RMSFA retired group, when the discussion is generally about football and ex pupils of Rochdale schools, who played for the 'town teams'.

Topcat

Old school query on 15:18 - Jan 21 with 7375 viewsBeechball

Old school query on 13:53 - Jan 21 by Nafelad

Kev is very much alive (don't know about the kicking) - we meet up regularly as a RMSFA retired group, when the discussion is generally about football and ex pupils of Rochdale schools, who played for the 'town teams'.

Thank you hillandale - if you can remember next time you see him could you ask him if he's still got the slides from the youth hostelling holidays of 1977 and 1978 ?

Nordenblue - thanks. I have spotted someone I thought might be Mr Wheatley . You've given me the confidence to approach him.

Regards in hope
Old school query on 15:29 - Jan 21 with 7364 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 15:18 - Jan 21 by Beechball

Thank you hillandale - if you can remember next time you see him could you ask him if he's still got the slides from the youth hostelling holidays of 1977 and 1978 ?

Nordenblue - thanks. I have spotted someone I thought might be Mr Wheatley . You've given me the confidence to approach him.

Regards in hope

No worries,it definitely is him,as you look at the pitch he generally stands towards the right (main stand) near the back,a class guy and always very pleasant... (regardless of my behaviour at school)!!!
Old school query on 16:58 - Jan 21 with 7257 viewsNafelad

Old school query on 15:18 - Jan 21 by Beechball

Regards in hope

Will do, although it's a couple of months til our next meeting. I see Phil more often and will mention it to him.

PS. Brian O'Connor died some time ago - much longer than "not long ago", Elldale.

Topcat

Old school query on 18:31 - Jan 21 with 7156 viewschalkyncfc

That was a great thread to read
Old school query on 18:48 - Jan 21 with 7110 viewsnordenblue

Old school query on 18:31 - Jan 21 by chalkyncfc

That was a great thread to read

Probably was if you went to school in Rochdale..... Or had any remote connection to the town even....foc
Old school query on 18:58 - Jan 21 with 7088 viewsjudd

Didn't have much go do with Kevin Andrew but he once whacked my brother across the face with a training shoe because my brother preferred to have his dinner rather than turn up to football training.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Old school query on 19:18 - Jan 21 with 7061 viewsdingdangblue

Always have fond memories of Kev Andrews from my Wilfrid's days. I wasn't a bad little footballer back in the day so he liked me. The enduring image I have of him stood in his tracksuit on the fields with his money belt hanging from his waist shouting 'if in doubt - put it out' or 'hit the diagonal son'. Happy days.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Old school query on 19:20 - Jan 21 with 7053 viewsfitzochris

Old school query on 19:18 - Jan 21 by dingdangblue

Always have fond memories of Kev Andrews from my Wilfrid's days. I wasn't a bad little footballer back in the day so he liked me. The enduring image I have of him stood in his tracksuit on the fields with his money belt hanging from his waist shouting 'if in doubt - put it out' or 'hit the diagonal son'. Happy days.

He was rocking this look during my time at school.

Old school query on 19:29 - Jan 21 with 7025 viewsjudd

Old school query on 19:20 - Jan 21 by fitzochris

He was rocking this look during my time at school.

Kin ell, where was he teaching - on Shameless?

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024