Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pubs 08:01 - Jan 24 with 9983 viewsEllDale

I'm trying to lighten the mood with another nostalgia thread.

What was the first pub that you all went in, legally or illegally?

With me it was the Red Lion which was on the corner of Newgate and Lord Street, more or less on the opposite corner to the Wing Wah.

Me and my mates were about 15 at the time. It was a proper old fashioned boozer. No music, no fruit machines. Frosted glass on the windows and a heavy door. Deadly quiet.

It must have been early evening and the place was empty. The landlord must have known we were underaged because we all bought our own drinks and plumped for dark mild because it was the cheapest! I think that it was 1/10d for a pint.

I left Rochdale to go to uni and when I came back that part of town had all been demolished to make way for the shopping centre.
Pubs on 08:22 - Jan 24 with 4842 viewsmingthemerciless

Same place for me. I was at the Tech then and we'd go in in our school uniforms. Nobody seemed to bother. We were drinking mild like you but it was a bit cheaper than that, this would be in 1965.

The thing I remember the best was the strong smell of hops as you walked in through the door.
Pubs on 08:28 - Jan 24 with 4826 viewsDiddyDave

Pubs on 08:22 - Jan 24 by mingthemerciless

Same place for me. I was at the Tech then and we'd go in in our school uniforms. Nobody seemed to bother. We were drinking mild like you but it was a bit cheaper than that, this would be in 1965.

The thing I remember the best was the strong smell of hops as you walked in through the door.

Ha ha,Chinny will be rolling in his grave if he knew that! Shanksy and Sedge just went across the street (Baron Street?) to the Temp. Chinny would occasionally make a sortie there and whack his cane down on one of the tables resulting in maroon jacketed customers flying in all directions!
Pubs on 09:19 - Jan 24 with 4759 viewsSandyman

Bowling Green on Spotland Road. First pint was dark mild as well. On ordering, the rather camp barman (Philip?) said "pint o' mild cock".
Pubs on 09:40 - Jan 24 with 4730 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

The Ship in Heywood at 15, pint of Stones.

It had two pool tables, video joke box and sticky carpets. loved the place.

I remember the look of disgust from two girls in the year above us, as if to say 'I cant believe they let kids in here'.

Happy Days.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Pubs on 09:47 - Jan 24 with 4724 views1949er

Clubbers on Smith street. I left school in 1958. Went as an office junior at Yelloway. In winter drivers were supposed to clean the coaches but would slope off to the Slubbersfor a quick pint. In was asked to fetch a driver to the office if he was missing I knew were to find him. If he had just ordered a pint ,he would buy me a gill until he finished.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Pubs on 09:49 - Jan 24 with 4722 viewsdownunder

The Brunswick, Bailey St. Not long after my 15th birthday, followed by the Roebuck. Dobbed in by my sister, got a telling off by my Mum. The day after my Dad took me with him to The Plough, to make sure I learned to drink sensibly.
Pubs on 10:09 - Jan 24 with 4699 viewsrod_leach

Pubs on 09:49 - Jan 24 by downunder

The Brunswick, Bailey St. Not long after my 15th birthday, followed by the Roebuck. Dobbed in by my sister, got a telling off by my Mum. The day after my Dad took me with him to The Plough, to make sure I learned to drink sensibly.

The Brownhill Hotel at the bottom of Heights Lane, aged around 15. Just before we went up to the school disco at Greenhill. I remember the beer tasting horrible, not having sampled any before and forced the pint down. I've since developed a taste for it.
Pubs on 10:15 - Jan 24 with 4692 viewsSuddenLad

Pubs on 09:19 - Jan 24 by Sandyman

Bowling Green on Spotland Road. First pint was dark mild as well. On ordering, the rather camp barman (Philip?) said "pint o' mild cock".

'Pip' to his friends. His wife (Anita) was a seriously obese Hattie Jacques lookalike, who had her jaw wired to reduce her intake of food to lose weight. She used to send 'Pip' to Lucky's chippy up the road for fish and chips,then she'd stick them in the blender and have it through a straw !!

My first gargle was at the 'Welly' (Duke of Wellington), on Blackwater Street, followed by the Slubbers Arms on Smith Street. If onlt it was the same price these days.......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Pubs on 10:30 - Jan 24 with 4671 viewsmingthemerciless

Sorry, getting confused now. I should have said " The Duke Of Wellington ". I did go in " The Red Lion " shortly after though. People growing up today would be amazed at the numbers of pubs there were in town. One on every street corner almost.

I remember reading somewhere that they did a survey in the 1880's and Blackburn had a pub or ale house for every 18 people !
Pubs on 11:08 - Jan 24 with 4618 viewssykeboy

Pubs on 10:09 - Jan 24 by rod_leach

The Brownhill Hotel at the bottom of Heights Lane, aged around 15. Just before we went up to the school disco at Greenhill. I remember the beer tasting horrible, not having sampled any before and forced the pint down. I've since developed a taste for it.

First regular pub was Two Ships just off Howard Street at 16 , first pub visited was Navigation top of Drake Street
Pubs on 11:49 - Jan 24 with 4581 viewsDiddyDave

The Pig and Whistle at Butlins Pwethelli (can`t recall how the Taffies spell it),summer 1965,eight of us standing outside wondering if we`d get served. I must`ve been 16,most were a year older than me,though one of the lads was only 14,but looked a lot older. Anyway,we made it inside,somebody said they`d heard a black and tan was a good drink,so we supped those for the whole week. After that,the Navvy on Drake Street was my local when Bill Parry had it.
Pubs on 12:07 - Jan 24 with 4557 viewsHuddersdale1

The Caldermoor on Calderbrook Road at Littleborough. Previously called The Dog and Partridge. 17p for dark mild in 1975. Sadly no longer a pub.
Pubs on 12:10 - Jan 24 with 4553 viewskiwidale

Pubs on 11:49 - Jan 24 by DiddyDave

The Pig and Whistle at Butlins Pwethelli (can`t recall how the Taffies spell it),summer 1965,eight of us standing outside wondering if we`d get served. I must`ve been 16,most were a year older than me,though one of the lads was only 14,but looked a lot older. Anyway,we made it inside,somebody said they`d heard a black and tan was a good drink,so we supped those for the whole week. After that,the Navvy on Drake Street was my local when Bill Parry had it.

Flippin eck! D D Billy Butlins the pig and whistle at Pwllheli I reckon I was there that year. First holiday away with my mates no mum and dad recipe for chaos. Did you do that fat lass from Macclesfield? you must have, we all did... Now there's a thought a first leg over thread, you first.

This is not the time for bickering.

Pubs on 12:11 - Jan 24 with 4548 viewsD_Alien

The Queens, corner of Tweedale St/Milkstone Rd

My brother-in-law was Irish and there was an Irish contingent in there, a fairly rapid way of learning a) how to drink ale and b) what they thought of the English once they'd had a few

First one with my mates, the Kingsway on a Friday night, disco in the back room

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Pubs on 12:14 - Jan 24 with 4540 viewsregjenkins

Freemasons Arms on Equitable Street Milnrow. Be 1971 about 16 years of age. Pint of mixed about 20p i recon. It used to be a bit of a dive with a pool table in a room coloured dark purple. Other places we used in the early 1970's would be Milnrow Working Mans Club and the Waggon and Horses in Newhey.

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Pubs on 14:31 - Jan 24 with 4395 viewsNigeriamark

I got into a club in Heywood before I ever got into a pub. I was about 15 but looked 12. Me and some mates for a laugh decided to go up to the door of this club and ask to go in assuming they would say no. Surprisingly they let us in. We didn't have a clue what to do as we literally had enough money to buy 1 drink between 3 of us

It was 1976 or 77. I assume there couldn't have been too many night clubs in Heywood. Anyone got any names as I am sure I would remember it? ( clearly a club that let anyone in)

1st actual pub would have been the flying horse
1st regular pub the Sawyers
Pubs on 14:35 - Jan 24 with 4391 viewsmingthemerciless

Pubs on 10:15 - Jan 24 by SuddenLad

'Pip' to his friends. His wife (Anita) was a seriously obese Hattie Jacques lookalike, who had her jaw wired to reduce her intake of food to lose weight. She used to send 'Pip' to Lucky's chippy up the road for fish and chips,then she'd stick them in the blender and have it through a straw !!

My first gargle was at the 'Welly' (Duke of Wellington), on Blackwater Street, followed by the Slubbers Arms on Smith Street. If onlt it was the same price these days.......

The first Landlord I remember of " The Bowling Green " was a short dumpy guy who legend had it had been a football referee in South America at one point in his life. The story went he carried a revolver out there " just in case ".
Pubs on 14:44 - Jan 24 with 4380 viewsJames1980

I understand The Moorcock in Littleborough was once a nightclub did any of you go there if so what was it like? My first drink was in my local, landlord didn't mind us drinking underage if we took our glasses back and there weren't too many of us

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Pubs on 14:48 - Jan 24 with 4377 viewsEllDale

The Moorcock was a nightclub in the sense that it was allowed to stay open longer than pubs.
They got round the restrictions by applying for a supper licence; if they gave you a pie or a burger or something similar you were deemed to be dining and so could have a drink.

A guy called Ken Leary owned three or four of these places including one in Heywood whose name escapes me. It was on the right going out of town towards Bury.

He was actually on the board at Dale for a while in the later Fred Ratcliffe era after he took over the running of the Social Club.
Pubs on 15:29 - Jan 24 with 4336 viewsD_Alien

Further to the Moorcock (in more sense than one) it became very popular as a nightclub in the early/mid-80's due to the topless barmaids

The regular Friday DJ was the boyfriend of one of the ward sisters on Woolfenden One at Birch Hill, Wendy Law, lovely lass

[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 15:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Pubs on 18:56 - Jan 24 with 4183 viewsNinco

Usually the pubs around Middleton that were within walking distance. From memory, The Nowster, The Old David's and The Lancashire Fold. Only the Lancashire Fold still going today. I remember I didn't have a regular drink as it was all new to me, so every time I went to the bar, I tried something different. It confused the hell out of bar staff who automatically started to pull the 'same again'.

I recall no pubs seemed to have carpets in those days. It was usually cheap lino and you stuck to the floor where people had spilt drinks. Of course, there was no Sky TV in those days, so you used to pop 50p in the jukebox and play a single.
Pubs on 19:16 - Jan 24 with 4168 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Pubs on 14:31 - Jan 24 by Nigeriamark

I got into a club in Heywood before I ever got into a pub. I was about 15 but looked 12. Me and some mates for a laugh decided to go up to the door of this club and ask to go in assuming they would say no. Surprisingly they let us in. We didn't have a clue what to do as we literally had enough money to buy 1 drink between 3 of us

It was 1976 or 77. I assume there couldn't have been too many night clubs in Heywood. Anyone got any names as I am sure I would remember it? ( clearly a club that let anyone in)

1st actual pub would have been the flying horse
1st regular pub the Sawyers

A bit before my time, but there was the Richmond, which became the Candy Peel which in turn became Spibs.

There was The Homestead I believe which was near to where Heywood industrial Estate is now and the Seven Stars which had a night club which later became Rumours.

Twenty Five years ago after a night in Heywood you had the choice of Downstairs in the Vic, Spibs, Chamber House, Soho's, The Basement and Rumours.

These days you'd struggle to find 6 decent pubs!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Pubs on 19:20 - Jan 24 with 4157 viewsfitzochris

The Spread Eagle and Springers in town, as I knew they were two pubs my dad didn’t go in. Once I was old enough, pretty much every pub in Norden and the excellent Star Inn, which remains my favourite pub to this day.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Pubs on 19:42 - Jan 24 with 4125 viewsrobtheb

Bay Horse on Oldham Road was my first pub. Use to go in with my uncle who lived 3 doors away. I was about 10 yrs old.

Also went in the Princess Royal with my grandfather, again at a young age.

First pub for a pint was Blue Pits in Cassy. Use to go in there underage, unknown to my mum.
Just as well it was a John Willie Lees pub because in the words of Wandering Walter (those who did the local clubs will know him) I didn't want to go home smelling of beer!
Pubs on 20:33 - Jan 24 with 4083 viewshammerdale

The Theatre which was opposite the old Rochdale college, a busty foreign accent barmaid served me my first pint aged 15
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024