Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overachieving has caught up with us. 23:18 - Jan 25 with 7444 viewsToffeemanc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42818944

Guess this is an interview Hilly has done this week as part of the build up to the cup game. Seems a pretty fair assessment and acceptance of our current situation to me.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 23:38 - Jan 25 with 5573 viewskiwidale

Yes you could see it like that on the other hand is Hill getting his excuse in early... The interview does not fill me with any confidence. I cant see anything positive in what Hill says and doubt the players will either.

This is not the time for bickering.

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 00:06 - Jan 26 with 5536 viewsD_Alien

I'm broadly sympathetic to what he's saying; I just wish he'd think it through further and stop making it even harder for the players by asking them to perform in roles they're neither comfortable or familiar with, when there are alternatives which would simplify it for them, and i don't mean hoofball

And he's omitted the third factor; relative success hasn't just caught up with the squad, and the club, but with Keith Hill too

That's not a criticism, he's only human

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 01:16 - Jan 26 with 5498 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,I think KH has hit the nail firmly on the head here. Overachieving and not being able to compete with average Championship 1 clubs financially has to see the chickens come home to roost eventually. Sad,but it`s not yet time to throw in the towel. Nothing to lose tomorrow,so let`s hope for a replay at least.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 02:26 - Jan 26 with 5484 viewskiwidale

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 00:06 - Jan 26 by D_Alien

I'm broadly sympathetic to what he's saying; I just wish he'd think it through further and stop making it even harder for the players by asking them to perform in roles they're neither comfortable or familiar with, when there are alternatives which would simplify it for them, and i don't mean hoofball

And he's omitted the third factor; relative success hasn't just caught up with the squad, and the club, but with Keith Hill too

That's not a criticism, he's only human

we all know? well those of us that are sensible accept what Hill is saying but now is not the time for him to say it publicly its not what we want to hear at this moment in time. I don't think his comment is limited to the cup game either? has he accepted like us that we will be playing div2 next year?

This is not the time for bickering.

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 07:57 - Jan 26 with 5307 viewsDerekHall5

I'm sick of Hill using the term 'overachieving'. We've heard it that many times from him now it's like a ready made excuse for him when we get beat. He might as well just say 'it doesn't matter that we got beat again because we don't deserve to be in this league'. This must get into the mind set of the players aswell.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 08:00 - Jan 26 with 5303 viewsfrenzied

To keep us up this season would "top trump" any of our promotion seasons..i cant see it happening..just hope there 4 teams worse than us!!

Just hope the last 5 or 6 games dont become dead rubbers or i can see us getting some real drubbings.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 08:13 - Jan 26 with 5267 viewsDaleFan7

Coming out with the boring 'little Rochdale' rhetoric again. I'm sure this will motivate the players. He's basically saying. 'It doesn't matter if we go down because we deserve to be in League 2 anyway because we're a small club.'

If he's taken us as far as he can then why is he still here? Surely he wants to challenge himself?

Again, looking for all the excuses in the book instead of looking in the mirror. Poor tactics, playing people out of position, no plan B and a stubbornness to not change the system that clearly isn't working with this group of players we have.

We lost 3 players, one of which didn't turn up until after Xmas form wise and another was on and off injured. That alone doesn't take you from being a team in and around the play offs to a team that has won the least amount of games of any EFL team.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 08:16 - Jan 26 with 5257 viewsseasidedale

I think what he says in public and what he is telling the players are two different things, also he is right about overachieving, lets get real we have, to be where we are over past few seasons is something we all accept and never would have dreamed off 10 years ago, that said I dont think we have given up, knowing keith it will be part of some plan
keep the faith
Login to get fewer ads

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 08:57 - Jan 26 with 5179 viewsHopwoodblue

Best we get relegated then, and keep finishing in the top three in the second div.
Then ask if its possible to stay in the second div because its pointless us being promoted as we can't compete with anyone in the first div !

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:08 - Jan 26 with 5147 viewsdingdangblue

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 08:13 - Jan 26 by DaleFan7

Coming out with the boring 'little Rochdale' rhetoric again. I'm sure this will motivate the players. He's basically saying. 'It doesn't matter if we go down because we deserve to be in League 2 anyway because we're a small club.'

If he's taken us as far as he can then why is he still here? Surely he wants to challenge himself?

Again, looking for all the excuses in the book instead of looking in the mirror. Poor tactics, playing people out of position, no plan B and a stubbornness to not change the system that clearly isn't working with this group of players we have.

We lost 3 players, one of which didn't turn up until after Xmas form wise and another was on and off injured. That alone doesn't take you from being a team in and around the play offs to a team that has won the least amount of games of any EFL team.

4 teams have to go down each season - why can't it be us? What makes us so special or immune to having a bad season? We've no god given right to be in this division - if we stay up it will be because we've been good enough - if we go down then we haven't been good enough this season. Yes it will be disappointing because no one wants to lose games but if that's the level we are at this season then so be it. We've had some unbelievable success with Keith Hill but we were bound to slip up at some point - there's no reason why we can't rebuild and come back stronger next year or the year after but there is no one else better suited to making that happen at Rochdale FC than Keith Hill.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:26 - Jan 26 with 5090 viewsDaleFan7

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:08 - Jan 26 by dingdangblue

4 teams have to go down each season - why can't it be us? What makes us so special or immune to having a bad season? We've no god given right to be in this division - if we stay up it will be because we've been good enough - if we go down then we haven't been good enough this season. Yes it will be disappointing because no one wants to lose games but if that's the level we are at this season then so be it. We've had some unbelievable success with Keith Hill but we were bound to slip up at some point - there's no reason why we can't rebuild and come back stronger next year or the year after but there is no one else better suited to making that happen at Rochdale FC than Keith Hill.

I agree we can have a bad season, any team in the division can go down, I don't expect us to be immune from going down.

I'm just disappointed that the manager feels the need to publicly tout the fact we're struggling is because we're still 'over achieving.' Is it not just because we've not been good enough? Or his tactics have been crap? Making statements like that just makes the attitude seem like 'Well, whatever, we're little old Rochdale, everyone will just accept lying down and going down because we shouldn't be here anyway.'

I haven't suggested he isn't the best person to do it. He's the best known person to do it. Who says someone else couldn't come in and do what he has? He's not the best manager to ever walk the planet. What I would question is, if we're still using the 'Little old Rochdale' rhetoric and he can't take us any further because of our budget etc which would be fair enough, why is such an 'ambitious' manager still here? Surely if he's God's gift to football bigger clubs would welcome him with open arms.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:40 - Jan 26 with 5052 viewsfitzochris

Is this Hill's first public admission that the players recruited haven't been good enough and the rest of the squad is jaded?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:49 - Jan 26 with 5023 viewsdingdangblue

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:26 - Jan 26 by DaleFan7

I agree we can have a bad season, any team in the division can go down, I don't expect us to be immune from going down.

I'm just disappointed that the manager feels the need to publicly tout the fact we're struggling is because we're still 'over achieving.' Is it not just because we've not been good enough? Or his tactics have been crap? Making statements like that just makes the attitude seem like 'Well, whatever, we're little old Rochdale, everyone will just accept lying down and going down because we shouldn't be here anyway.'

I haven't suggested he isn't the best person to do it. He's the best known person to do it. Who says someone else couldn't come in and do what he has? He's not the best manager to ever walk the planet. What I would question is, if we're still using the 'Little old Rochdale' rhetoric and he can't take us any further because of our budget etc which would be fair enough, why is such an 'ambitious' manager still here? Surely if he's God's gift to football bigger clubs would welcome him with open arms.

I've not said he's Gods gift to football but he's the best for Little old Rochdale - and it's not a 1 off - he's proved it over 7-8 seasons. 1 poor season is a 1 off.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 10:02 - Jan 26 with 4971 viewsToffeemanc

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:40 - Jan 26 by fitzochris

Is this Hill's first public admission that the players recruited haven't been good enough and the rest of the squad is jaded?

That's exactly my thoughts when I first read the article. I also thought the interview came across as he has almost accepted that relegation is inevitable.

Personally I fully expect us to be relegated without too much of a fight this season and just hope that Hilly is already planning for next season. For me his January signings so far seem to suggest he is already planning for next season and will be looking to break up a big part of the current squad in the summer.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 10:04 - Jan 26 with 4960 viewsDaleFan7

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:49 - Jan 26 by dingdangblue

I've not said he's Gods gift to football but he's the best for Little old Rochdale - and it's not a 1 off - he's proved it over 7-8 seasons. 1 poor season is a 1 off.

I've not said he's not the best man for the job either. I just don't like the way the 'Little old Rochdale' excuse is still branded about all the time. It just smacks of 'relegate us and we can be content being where we're supposed to be'

There are a lot of reasons for why we are where we are. He's never admitted that any of them have come from him though. Its either the fans, the players, the pitch, the budget etc.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 10:36 - Jan 26 with 4883 viewsToffeemanc

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 10:04 - Jan 26 by DaleFan7

I've not said he's not the best man for the job either. I just don't like the way the 'Little old Rochdale' excuse is still branded about all the time. It just smacks of 'relegate us and we can be content being where we're supposed to be'

There are a lot of reasons for why we are where we are. He's never admitted that any of them have come from him though. Its either the fans, the players, the pitch, the budget etc.

Whether as fans we like or dislike the "Little old Rochdale tag" is frankly irrelevant as it is a true reflection of what we are financially.

There are literally 25-30 teams in league 2 and the National League that will all have a far bigger budget than Dale and it allows them to recruit better quality players on higher wages which we can't compete with. As a result we end up with lesser quality playing staff and a reliance on bringing through our own players which we have been very successful at in recent seasons.

If we are playing in League 2 next season as seems likely we will still probably have one of the smallest budgets in the division but the difference to the top sides wouldn't be as big as it is in League 1 and would give us a better chance to compete. I highly doubt we would be amongst most peoples tips to get promoted straight back to league 1 next season at the first attempt either.

And you are right................ "There are a lot of reasons for why we are where we are"

..........in league 1 for the past 4 seasons, on a tiny budget compared to the rest of the division yet still holding our own prior to this season and strangely all under the management of Keith Hill. Maybe he should admit that this relative success has come from him?

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 11:31 - Jan 26 with 4771 viewsD_Alien

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 02:26 - Jan 26 by kiwidale

we all know? well those of us that are sensible accept what Hill is saying but now is not the time for him to say it publicly its not what we want to hear at this moment in time. I don't think his comment is limited to the cup game either? has he accepted like us that we will be playing div2 next year?

What do you mean by "we all know" ?

That's not in my post or the article by KH

Please stop replying to misread or non-existent quotes, it's far from the first time

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 11:32 - Jan 26 with 4772 viewsDaleFan7

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 10:36 - Jan 26 by Toffeemanc

Whether as fans we like or dislike the "Little old Rochdale tag" is frankly irrelevant as it is a true reflection of what we are financially.

There are literally 25-30 teams in league 2 and the National League that will all have a far bigger budget than Dale and it allows them to recruit better quality players on higher wages which we can't compete with. As a result we end up with lesser quality playing staff and a reliance on bringing through our own players which we have been very successful at in recent seasons.

If we are playing in League 2 next season as seems likely we will still probably have one of the smallest budgets in the division but the difference to the top sides wouldn't be as big as it is in League 1 and would give us a better chance to compete. I highly doubt we would be amongst most peoples tips to get promoted straight back to league 1 next season at the first attempt either.

And you are right................ "There are a lot of reasons for why we are where we are"

..........in league 1 for the past 4 seasons, on a tiny budget compared to the rest of the division yet still holding our own prior to this season and strangely all under the management of Keith Hill. Maybe he should admit that this relative success has come from him?

Of course he should take the plaudits for what he has done, I've never questioned that. But you can't take plaudits when things are going well but then blame everything else when things are going wrong.

By criticising the blaming everyone else for things going wrong doesn't put me in the Hill Out camp at all.

I'm aware there are teams with higher budgets than us does that mean we should just accept the way things are at the club at the moment, not just on the pitch and not have any ambition or dreams of getting better? If so, what's the point in being a supporter? I'd like to go to games thinking something will change to try and spark a revival or at least even look like we're going down fighting, at the moment its not happening and it looks like even Hill has accepted that but he isn't willing to change things to try and stop it happening, rather just blaming others and being like 'oh well, we're only Rochdale anyway'
[Post edited 26 Jan 2018 12:37]
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 12:16 - Jan 26 with 4662 viewsJimmyRustler

He's right in what he's saying. However, it would be much easier to take if it felt like he'd done everything in his power for us not to be where we are. I'm not saying he hasn't tried his best but some of his decisions this season have been puzzling at best and downright insane at the worst.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 12:46 - Jan 26 with 4581 viewsBazzanne

I am getting a bit sick with the lack of ambition shown at our club. All this negativity is getting to me. Why have we rewarded players who just aren't cutting it or over the hill with extensions..Accepting we are only Rochdale and only belong in league 2 is defeatist. Why should we bother to support a club with attitudes like this. After all the years being Dale till I die I am starting to wonder why I bother. Accepting relegation in January is not what I expect from my club.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 16:19 - Jan 26 with 4195 viewsrochdaleriddler

I would have thought over achieving was actually a tonic, and motivator for players, and management alike. Also making it easier to recruit. Whereas the slog of constant failure must get everyone down eventually. This season already feels like it's been going on for 10 months to me

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 16:47 - Jan 26 with 4143 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 09:49 - Jan 26 by dingdangblue

Well you say that........what happens if we start getting tonked in League 2 will that be a 2 off?

As stated,we have no god-given right to do well in League 2........Hilly might be "out of touch" with the under-achievers of L2.
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 17:44 - Jan 26 with 4038 viewsmiddyman

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 12:46 - Jan 26 by Bazzanne

I am getting a bit sick with the lack of ambition shown at our club. All this negativity is getting to me. Why have we rewarded players who just aren't cutting it or over the hill with extensions..Accepting we are only Rochdale and only belong in league 2 is defeatist. Why should we bother to support a club with attitudes like this. After all the years being Dale till I die I am starting to wonder why I bother. Accepting relegation in January is not what I expect from my club.

Could not agree more we might as well not bother turning tomorrow in case we over achieve
Overachieving has caught up with us. on 18:03 - Jan 26 with 4003 viewsdingdangblue

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 16:47 - Jan 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Well you say that........what happens if we start getting tonked in League 2 will that be a 2 off?

As stated,we have no god-given right to do well in League 2........Hilly might be "out of touch" with the under-achievers of L2.

Aye we've tw@tted 2 non league teams 4-0 this season so maybe that's Hilly's level of excellence now! 😮

Overachieving has caught up with us. on 19:02 - Jan 26 with 3922 viewsrochdale_ranger

Never thought I would describe Hill or a Keith Hill team as spineless but that is the word I would use for him/them this season. Where has his hunger and passion gone for the gold standard he has given us over the last few seasons. One of the other problems is he is held up as a messiah like figure and many on here believe we will go down and bounce straight back up, none of our current squad would get in a Steve Parkin team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024