Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Davies 19:38 - Feb 18 with 5612 viewsD_Alien

Some (including myself) have doubted whether we'd see him in a Dale shirt again

Of course he's put on weight, mainly through being unable to train for long periods, but basically the guy is a classy footballer

It's all too easy for those with a particular frame of mind to mock him, but that's got to stop

As i've always said, right from when he stuck the ball away against Bolton last season to win the game 1-0 - Give him the chance and HE WILL SCORE !!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Steve Davies on 19:40 - Feb 18 with 4646 viewsScunnydale

A mate of mine said he originally thought Davies had missed.

My reply: "Yes, he's unfit and chunky, but the guy knows how to finish".

If he could last for more than 15 mins, we'd have a right player on our hands.
Steve Davies on 19:53 - Feb 18 with 4560 viewsBlueDales

Whatever he does now, he'll forever have a place in Dale history and in the hearts of Dale fans.

He knows how to finish, and he's got us a day at Wembley.

If he never does anything else in a Dale shirt again, nobody can take away today from him.
Steve Davies on 19:53 - Feb 18 with 4552 viewsShun

I'm another who thought we'd probably never see him again, and I was surprised when he came on today. He certainly staked a claim though - a brilliant goal from comfortably the best finisher at the club. What a dilemma we have now though. He must have by far the best goal to game ratio at the club, does that warrant more game-time though? I think yes, but off the bench. Really frustrating that he can't get himself fit because he'd easily be a 20 goal striker at this level.
Steve Davies on 19:53 - Feb 18 with 4553 viewsrichfoad32

I was also one that doubted if he'd ever put in another appearance for Dale. I'm not sure that anyone has mocked him on here however, just expressed justifiable frustration at how he seems unable (or unwilling) to get himself fit enough to play even a half of football, let alone a full game. No doubt he's the best finisher at the club and a nice option to have off the bench when we're chasing a goal but whether he'll be worthy of a new contract after this season is debatable.
Steve Davies on 19:58 - Feb 18 with 4492 viewsD_Alien

Steve Davies on 19:53 - Feb 18 by richfoad32

I was also one that doubted if he'd ever put in another appearance for Dale. I'm not sure that anyone has mocked him on here however, just expressed justifiable frustration at how he seems unable (or unwilling) to get himself fit enough to play even a half of football, let alone a full game. No doubt he's the best finisher at the club and a nice option to have off the bench when we're chasing a goal but whether he'll be worthy of a new contract after this season is debatable.

Yes, he's been mocked - and those who've done so know who they are, referring to "KFC buckets" etc

And yes I agree, he mightn't be worth another contract unless he can prove he's able to stay fit

Agree further with Shun, that bringing him off the bench for the remainder is probably the best option

And agree further still, that he'll be a Dale hero for as long as Dale are talked about

Steve Davies on 20:17 - Feb 18 with 4375 viewsMolly

His one goal today must (at a rough guess) have earned us a minimum of £750,000.
Steve Davies on 20:17 - Feb 18 with 4367 viewsDaleiLama

What a day. What a game. What a team.

Seldom does something which is anticipated with such eagerness live up to the hyperbole lavished on it in advance, but today just did. A game which had everything. End to end football, physicality, pressing, goals, incidents - quite simply the magic of the cup. Move over Lincoln - Dale are the new over-achieving minnows.

Despite no longer living in the borough, I have always been proud of my home-town and my roots, as they define me. I haven't lived in t'Dale for nearly 40 years, since I went off to college, and "Rochdale" was an object of no small amount of scorn and derision even back then. Those formative years were the most important, however, shaping my value system and sense of right and wrong, which has never left me. I came to following the Dale late in life as the club ethos of doing things the right way, hard work, passion and entertainment chimed with me. Today typified that in spades. It would be wrong to single any player out in a team performance overflowing with guts and desire, but Andy Cannon nearly collapsed out there after running himself ragged and leading from the front, with as fine a performance as I have seen all season. I have never been more proud of my home town and my club than I am tonight.

Keith Hill has some detractors. I would ask them to sit back and consider what he has achieved today. He put a team of 11 men on a pitch to oppose one of the best teams in the country and we came away honours even. We rode our luck at times, but we also made our own luck in spades too and we never stopped believing in ourselves, despite our lowly L1 position.

Apologies if I have repeated any thoughts or observations elsewhere as I haven't read anything yet, but I had to get this off my chest first. I hung it on this thread because our great manager rolled the dice and brought Steve Davies on and he scored an improbable equaliser to breathe more life into the tie and hopefully our season. If we can stand toe-to-toe with Spurs and play like that and get a result, how the fook can we go down?!?

(stay) Up the Dale
[Post edited 18 Feb 2018 20:32]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Steve Davies on 20:27 - Feb 18 with 4276 viewsShun

Great post, lama! And I'm with you now, if we go down after some of the performances we've seen lately I'll be bloody annoyed!
Login to get fewer ads

Steve Davies on 20:33 - Feb 18 with 4232 viewsDaleiLama

Steve Davies on 20:27 - Feb 18 by Shun

Great post, lama! And I'm with you now, if we go down after some of the performances we've seen lately I'll be bloody annoyed!

I'll be demented with frustration, Shun, and probably have to join a monastery. Or something.

Steve Davies on 21:40 - Feb 18 with 4035 viewspaulscho

Last Xmas I gave you my heart ...this Xmas to save us from pain ....we gave it to Stephen Davies

livinginadalewonderland

Steve Davies on 21:44 - Feb 18 with 4008 viewsrochdaleriddler

Yes , great and in terms of fan boyism , only Andy cannon wets your whistle more. Not hendo though, he's a tvat

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Steve Davies on 21:46 - Feb 18 with 3977 viewspaulscho

Steve Davies on 21:44 - Feb 18 by rochdaleriddler

Yes , great and in terms of fan boyism , only Andy cannon wets your whistle more. Not hendo though, he's a tvat

No idea what that's about??

livinginadalewonderland

Steve Davies on 21:47 - Feb 18 with 3972 viewsrochdaleriddler

Steve Davies on 20:17 - Feb 18 by DaleiLama

Seldom does something which is anticipated with such eagerness live up to the hyperbole lavished on it in advance, but today just did. A game which had everything. End to end football, physicality, pressing, goals, incidents - quite simply the magic of the cup. Move over Lincoln - Dale are the new over-achieving minnows.

Despite no longer living in the borough, I have always been proud of my home-town and my roots, as they define me. I haven't lived in t'Dale for nearly 40 years, since I went off to college, and "Rochdale" was an object of no small amount of scorn and derision even back then. Those formative years were the most important, however, shaping my value system and sense of right and wrong, which has never left me. I came to following the Dale late in life as the club ethos of doing things the right way, hard work, passion and entertainment chimed with me. Today typified that in spades. It would be wrong to single any player out in a team performance overflowing with guts and desire, but Andy Cannon nearly collapsed out there after running himself ragged and leading from the front, with as fine a performance as I have seen all season. I have never been more proud of my home town and my club than I am tonight.

Keith Hill has some detractors. I would ask them to sit back and consider what he has achieved today. He put a team of 11 men on a pitch to oppose one of the best teams in the country and we came away honours even. We rode our luck at times, but we also made our own luck in spades too and we never stopped believing in ourselves, despite our lowly L1 position.

Apologies if I have repeated any thoughts or observations elsewhere as I haven't read anything yet, but I had to get this off my chest first. I hung it on this thread because our great manager rolled the dice and brought Steve Davies on and he scored an improbable equaliser to breathe more life into the tie and hopefully our season. If we can stand toe-to-toe with Spurs and play like that and get a result, how the fook can we go down?!?

(stay) Up the Dale

It's possible to scrutinise hill and celebrate the wonder of today, we are bottom of the league, if we survive I will doff my cap

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Steve Davies on 21:49 - Feb 18 with 3950 viewsrochdaleriddler

Steve Davies on 21:46 - Feb 18 by paulscho

No idea what that's about??

The poster is a hater of henderson, that is all

Steve Davies on 21:53 - Feb 18 with 3912 viewspaulscho

Steve Davies on 21:49 - Feb 18 by rochdaleriddler

Ha ha right ..,shame ..just gotta love the man...heart on his sleeve ...Rochdale loves him more than he will ever know...

livinginadalewonderland

Steve Davies on 23:19 - Feb 18 with 3684 viewsDaleiLama

Steve Davies on 21:47 - Feb 18 by rochdaleriddler

It's possible to scrutinise hill and celebrate the wonder of today, we are bottom of the league, if we survive I will doff my cap

Had I commented on KH being above scrutiny, I would agree. Clearly we have underperformed this year. Clearly we are out of the slump now with 5 good performances on the bounce (doesn't mean we can't regress). My comments were aimed at anyone taking invisible banners to games calling for "Hill out" or posters wanting his head on a plate. He's got a side in last place in L1 to go out there and believe in themselves, even when a goal down and playing in added time. Of course he should be judged, but it should be on his whole body of work, not on a small sample which does not reflect the overall success during his tenure. I also didn't say we were invulnerable to the drop. But we are too good a football side when we play to our potential to not at least retain our L1 status. I just hope we prove it.

Steve Davies on 23:30 - Feb 18 with 3618 viewsSaxonDale

Steve Davies on 23:19 - Feb 18 by DaleiLama

Had I commented on KH being above scrutiny, I would agree. Clearly we have underperformed this year. Clearly we are out of the slump now with 5 good performances on the bounce (doesn't mean we can't regress). My comments were aimed at anyone taking invisible banners to games calling for "Hill out" or posters wanting his head on a plate. He's got a side in last place in L1 to go out there and believe in themselves, even when a goal down and playing in added time. Of course he should be judged, but it should be on his whole body of work, not on a small sample which does not reflect the overall success during his tenure. I also didn't say we were invulnerable to the drop. But we are too good a football side when we play to our potential to not at least retain our L1 status. I just hope we prove it.

He's joined the Muirhead club that's for sure.
Steve Davies on 23:32 - Feb 18 with 3613 viewsD_Alien

Steve Davies on 21:49 - Feb 18 by rochdaleriddler

Have a word with yourself

Hate? You're living in a different universe to me

Steve Davies on 23:32 - Feb 18 with 3610 viewsdingdangblue

(stay) Up the Dale

'Keith Hill has some detractors'

Where is Dale23years?
A bit quiet today.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Steve Davies on 23:32 - Feb 18 with 3609 viewsD_Alien

(stay) Up the Dale

Fabulous stuff!

Steve Davies on 14:48 - Feb 19 with 3196 viewsD_Alien

And i'm sure he's worked hard to make it back into the first team, but for the specific benefit of JR, and in a spirit of post-mortem friendship, here's another reason:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43110910

[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 14:51]

Steve Davies on 15:01 - Feb 19 with 3130 viewsJimmyRustler

Steve Davies on 14:48 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

And i'm sure he's worked hard to make it back into the first team, but for the specific benefit of JR, and in a spirit of post-mortem friendship, here's another reason:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43110910

[Post edited 19 Feb 2018 14:51]

To be honest, he actually looks like he's lost some timber...

There's always Dixy's and Dallas!
Steve Davies on 16:06 - Feb 19 with 2997 viewsrochdaleriddler

Steve Davies on 23:32 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

Have a word with yourself

Hate? You're living in a different universe to me

I've had a word, maybe haranger is a better one. Peace and love

Steve Davies on 16:21 - Feb 19 with 2948 viewsDale23years

Steve Davies on 23:32 - Feb 18 by dingdangblue

'Keith Hill has some detractors'

Where is Dale23years?
A bit quiet today.

He missed the game, as he's in hospital

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Steve Davies on 16:52 - Feb 19 with 2857 viewsaleanddale

Steve Davies on 16:21 - Feb 19 by Dale23years

He missed the game, as he's in hospital

you manage to watch on TV?.

hope your ok anyway.