Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The weather 13:46 - Mar 1 with 10805 viewsmingthemerciless

I've lived in Rochdale since the mid 1950's but I can't honestly remember weather like this. I remember the big freeze of 1963 when there were no games of football for the best part of 10 weeks but that was a different kettle of fish. I live facing Cronkeyshaw Common and the wind is gusting the standing snow right across the common from the Syke area onto the top of Whitehall St. The waste pipe for my bathroom wash basin is exposed to the East wind and has frozen up. That's never happened before.
No buses and not many taxis are operating.
I need to get over to Heywood tomorrow morning. Any residents care to give me a lowdown on current weather/driving conditions in central Heywood ?
The weather on 14:05 - Mar 1 with 8261 viewsSuddenLad

Buses are running, but a reduced service in operation..

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The weather on 14:14 - Mar 1 with 8229 viewsmingthemerciless

The weather on 14:05 - Mar 1 by SuddenLad

Buses are running, but a reduced service in operation..

Is that generally or specifically regarding Heywood buses ? The 440 bus service which goes up past the Infirmary and down Mizzy Rd hasn't run since about 8.00 am.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 14:15]
The weather on 14:14 - Mar 1 with 8228 viewsmexmike

Heywood is just as bad as Rochdale mate, roads are bad and only getting worse with the wind is bringing large drifts to.
The weather on 14:16 - Mar 1 with 8216 viewsmingthemerciless

The weather on 14:14 - Mar 1 by mexmike

Heywood is just as bad as Rochdale mate, roads are bad and only getting worse with the wind is bringing large drifts to.

Thanks for that. I was just wondering if Heywood had been spared the worst of it.
The weather on 14:19 - Mar 1 with 8202 viewsBartRowou

Not seen a bus in High Crompton. Got blown into the road at Wren's Nest. #oldhamhour

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

The weather on 14:23 - Mar 1 with 8187 viewsmingthemerciless

Avoid heading up Whitehall St to the top near the Common. The snow has drifted across the road enough to block it. Needs a snow plough ASAP. Cars getting stuck.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 14:35]
The weather on 14:27 - Mar 1 with 8179 viewsmexmike

Affraid not, I would say if you can postpone your trip here then absolutely do so.

Also a fair few places not open or closing early due to staff shortages or trying to get staff home safely.
The weather on 16:41 - Mar 1 with 7907 viewsChaffRAFC

The weather on 14:19 - Mar 1 by BartRowou

Not seen a bus in High Crompton. Got blown into the road at Wren's Nest. #oldhamhour

I made the mistake of walking from Rochdale back to Shaw last night and fell in a 4ft snow drift over Rochdale Road just short of the Fairview. Couldn't move and genuinely thought the end was nigh. Barely managed to "swim" through and just about made it home.

Not one if my brightest decisions. Worst weather I've ever known.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

The weather on 17:22 - Mar 1 with 7783 viewsmingthemerciless

The weather on 16:41 - Mar 1 by ChaffRAFC

I made the mistake of walking from Rochdale back to Shaw last night and fell in a 4ft snow drift over Rochdale Road just short of the Fairview. Couldn't move and genuinely thought the end was nigh. Barely managed to "swim" through and just about made it home.

You were lucky there matey.
The weather on 19:23 - Mar 1 with 7581 viewsdavidab2202

The weather on 16:41 - Mar 1 by ChaffRAFC

Lived opposite Fairview growing up--that doesn't sound to bad.
Road was always blocked following heavy snowfall all the way from Turf Hill Rd to High Crompton.
It did improve a bit once "snow fences" were put up in the fields which seemed to collect the snow behind them rather than it accumulate on the road.Couldn't understand how they worked but they did
The weather on 22:39 - Mar 1 with 7309 viewsrochdalefan9

So glad you made it Chaff..............your programme articles are always good too.
The weather on 00:27 - Mar 2 with 7199 viewsSandyman

Winter early 1979 was the worst I can remember. Seriously deep snow.
The weather on 01:03 - Mar 2 with 7173 viewsrochdale_ranger

Felt really sorry for the people on the coach who were trying to get hold of Taxis to no avail. I parked near COA and drove back to my parents in Whitworth at twenty mile an hour. Couple of crashed and abandoned cars along Whitworth road and in Whitworth. Drove past Cronkeyshaw common today on the way home drifts near the bustop on.
The weather on 07:03 - Mar 2 with 7031 viewsThe_Knightowl

The weather on 00:27 - Mar 2 by Sandyman

Winter early 1979 was the worst I can remember. Seriously deep snow.

I am sure there were worse in the sixties as I recall my Dad squeezing me outside through the gap at the top of the front door to dig them out.
Snow here has accumulated over night with drifts making it worse in some areas. There is now a nice glassy sheen where the surface s have frozen and more snow to be dumped later this morning.
Mother in law lives in Okehampton I can't see the Plymouth match going ahead as would be too treacherous to travel .
The weather on 07:07 - Mar 2 with 7028 viewsfitzochris

Worst snow I remember in Rochdale was in the late 80s when the drifts were so high you could’t open your front door. Not sure of the exact year.

However, that was nothing compared to the snow that has fallen over Glasgow in the past 48 hours. I was always sceptical of this colour-coded weather nonsense, but, as it transpires, red snow is pretty serious stuff.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The weather on 07:45 - Mar 2 with 6968 viewsDaleiLama

This is what it's like down there!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The weather on 08:14 - Mar 2 with 6900 viewsmingthemerciless

What's it like getting over to Heywood ? I would like to run an errand over there today but it's not essential. Living facing Cronky Common give you a false impression of the weather in the rest of the area. Yesterday the wind was blowing clouds of snow straight down the Common from the Pennines, you'd have thought we were living in Siberia !
My wife walked into town and came back saying things were OK.
The weather on 08:53 - Mar 2 with 6809 viewsdeeplishblue

The weather on 07:45 - Mar 2 by DaleiLama

i'd play in that.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

The weather on 09:38 - Mar 2 with 6727 viewsaleanddale

The weather on 07:45 - Mar 2 by DaleiLama

Cornish shandy drinkers!!

Three quarter swing and keep your head still and you would be reet.
The weather on 10:45 - Mar 2 with 6602 viewsDaleiLama

The weather on 09:38 - Mar 2 by aleanddale

Cornish shandy drinkers!!

Three quarter swing and keep your head still and you would be reet.

Extra "n" in your post aleanddale? Should that be three-quarter swig?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The weather on 11:12 - Mar 2 with 6548 viewsaleanddale

The weather on 10:45 - Mar 2 by DaleiLama

Extra "n" in your post aleanddale? Should that be three-quarter swig?

The weather on 11:23 - Mar 2 with 6514 viewsmingthemerciless

The weather on 07:03 - Mar 2 by The_Knightowl

I am sure there were worse in the sixties as I recall my Dad squeezing me outside through the gap at the top of the front door to dig them out.
Snow here has accumulated over night with drifts making it worse in some areas. There is now a nice glassy sheen where the surface s have frozen and more snow to be dumped later this morning.
Mother in law lives in Okehampton I can't see the Plymouth match going ahead as would be too treacherous to travel .

1963 was the worst. The Dale played Crewe at home on Dec 29 1963 in the snow ( my first ever game ) and and one game at Oldham away on Feb 2nd. The next game was at home to Gillingham on Mar 5th. That was it !

After that they played on 9th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 23rd, 27th, 30th of March.

6th, 8th, 13th, 16th, 20th, 22nd, 27th of April.

4th, 7th, 11th, 17th, 20th, 23rd of May.

How would today's players go on with that amount of games. In such a short space of time ? And how would the fans afford to pay for them all ?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 11:25]
The weather on 11:27 - Mar 2 with 6499 viewsTVOS1907

The weather on 11:23 - Mar 2 by mingthemerciless

1963 was the worst. The Dale played Crewe at home on Dec 29 1963 in the snow ( my first ever game ) and and one game at Oldham away on Feb 2nd. The next game was at home to Gillingham on Mar 5th. That was it !

After that they played on 9th, 12th, 16th, 20th, 23rd, 27th, 30th of March.

6th, 8th, 13th, 16th, 20th, 22nd, 27th of April.

4th, 7th, 11th, 17th, 20th, 23rd of May.

How would today's players go on with that amount of games. In such a short space of time ? And how would the fans afford to pay for them all ?
[Post edited 2 Mar 2018 11:25]

If tomorrow is off, we won’t have played a Saturday home game between 23rd December and 17th March!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The weather on 14:09 - Mar 2 with 6258 viewsmingthemerciless

The weather on 11:27 - Mar 2 by TVOS1907

If tomorrow is off, we won’t have played a Saturday home game between 23rd December and 17th March!

That's worrying. People get out of the habit of going and find other things to do on a Saturday afternoon. Especially in this weather.
The weather on 14:29 - Mar 2 with 6228 viewsTVOS1907

The weather on 14:09 - Mar 2 by mingthemerciless

That's worrying. People get out of the habit of going and find other things to do on a Saturday afternoon. Especially in this weather.

Apart from the Southend and Fleetwood games, it’s mainly down to the FA Cup and this week’s weather, which people would realise.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024