Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Points for winning and drawing 18:56 - Mar 17 with 3344 viewsJames1980

I expect such things have been discussed before, but what do people think of changing the points system to say -1 for a loss 0 for a draw and 4 for a win. I think it would potentially make for much more exciting games. Although it could just end with lots of draws

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Points for winning and drawing on 19:01 - Mar 17 with 2406 viewsrochdale_ranger

I'm sure someone on here could work out what the league table would look like if this was implemented. I thought about doing it but couldn't be arsed.
Points for winning and drawing on 19:04 - Mar 17 with 2392 viewsTVOS1907

No thanks, James.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Points for winning and drawing on 19:11 - Mar 17 with 2369 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 19:01 - Mar 17 by rochdale_ranger

I'm sure someone on here could work out what the league table would look like if this was implemented. I thought about doing it but couldn't be arsed.

1 Blackburn 83 pts
2 Shrewsbury pts
3 Wigan 79
4 Rotherham 68
5 Plymouth 52
6 Scunthorpe 50
7 Peterborough 49
8 Portsmouth 47
9 Bradford 45
10 Charlton 44
11 Bristol Rovers 43
12 Gillingham 37
13 Southend 34
14 Oxford Utd 33
15 Blackpool 31
16 Walsall 29
17 Doncaster 27
18 Wimbledon 27
19 Oldham 24
20 Fleetwood 23
21 Northampton 22
22 MK Dons 19
23 Rochdale 14
24 Bury 7

Points for winning and drawing on 19:26 - Mar 17 with 2325 viewsJames1980

Thank you for calculating that TVOS. Did the dynamics of football change greatly when the 3 points for a win came in? I am too young to remember that monumentous time

Points for winning and drawing on 19:43 - Mar 17 with 2273 viewsfrenzied

James
I have a feeling it was the late great Jimmy Hill who first came up with the 3 points for a win idea.

Other numpties proposed making the goals bigger!!
Points for winning and drawing on 19:44 - Mar 17 with 2270 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 19:26 - Mar 17 by James1980

Thank you for calculating that TVOS. Did the dynamics of football change greatly when the 3 points for a win came in? I am too young to remember that monumentous time

To be honest, it was three points for a win when I started watching Dale, so you'd really need an answer from someone like BigKindo.

Points for winning and drawing on 20:04 - Mar 17 with 2238 viewsD_Dale

Points for winning and drawing on 19:44 - Mar 17 by TVOS1907

To be honest, it was three points for a win when I started watching Dale, so you'd really need an answer from someone like BigKindo.

Not sure about the dynamics, but I've vague memories of the stats showing that the proportion of draws stayed much the same.

How about the league adopting the Checkatrade trophy's penalty shoot-out if a match ends in a draw, with an extra point to the winners?
Points for winning and drawing on 20:04 - Mar 17 with 2238 viewsJames1980

What about just increasing points for a win, keeping draws and losses 1 and 0 respectively

Login to get fewer ads

Points for winning and drawing on 20:19 - Mar 17 with 2193 views1mark1

One option would be to award a team an extra point for scoring a certain number of goals, maybe two or three. So for example, if it was a 3-3 draw each team get two points, or if you lose 4-3 , you get a point, but the other team get four. Might lead to more exciting games, more attacking football. Trying it out in the Checkatrade competition first might be an option.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Points for winning and drawing on 20:56 - Mar 17 with 2134 viewsmikehunt

How about deciding a drawn match by the number of times the woodwork was hit ( with the ball rebounding back into play). That would be worth 2 points but you could still have drawn matches and most goal games are still 3 points despite the number of times a post was smacked. This rewards the offensive team (ok, attacking team not bury).
We’d have got the two points today were that implemented.
It would also help decide cup games and reduce the number of penalty shootouts.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Points for winning and drawing on 20:59 - Mar 17 with 2121 viewsDaleiLama

Points for winning and drawing on 20:56 - Mar 17 by mikehunt

How about deciding a drawn match by the number of times the woodwork was hit ( with the ball rebounding back into play). That would be worth 2 points but you could still have drawn matches and most goal games are still 3 points despite the number of times a post was smacked. This rewards the offensive team (ok, attacking team not bury).
We’d have got the two points today were that implemented.
It would also help decide cup games and reduce the number of penalty shootouts.

Would that then lead to VAR wood breaks .......... sponsorship opportunity for Jewsons perhaps?
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 21:11]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Points for winning and drawing on 12:45 - Mar 18 with 1817 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Points for winning and drawing on 19:43 - Mar 17 by frenzied

James
I have a feeling it was the late great Jimmy Hill who first came up with the 3 points for a win idea.

Other numpties proposed making the goals bigger!!

I have a feeling if the goals were bigger we would still struggle to find them. Our forwards panic every time we get anywhere near them.
Points for winning and drawing on 13:15 - Mar 18 with 1787 viewselectricblue

How about....
Goalless draw 0pts.
Score draw 1pt.
Winning result home 2pts.
Away win 3pts..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Points for winning and drawing on 14:02 - Mar 18 with 1737 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 20:19 - Mar 17 by 1mark1

One option would be to award a team an extra point for scoring a certain number of goals, maybe two or three. So for example, if it was a 3-3 draw each team get two points, or if you lose 4-3 , you get a point, but the other team get four. Might lead to more exciting games, more attacking football. Trying it out in the Checkatrade competition first might be an option.

I'd be an advocate of this too

One of the frustrating aspects of Hilly's tenure is his apparent belief that it "disrespects" the opposition by beating them by four or more goals. (Yes, he has said that.) I'd argue the opposite - that it's disrepectful not to continue trying to score as many as possible once on top of the opposition, since there's an implication that it'd be easily done. It's sport, at the end of the day. Did he expect Spurs to ease off once they went 4-1 up at Wembley?

The exception to this was of course the 2-7 at Stockport, plus a couple of of big wins in his earliest days. I can't remember the last time we scored 5

Under the system you advocate Mark, scoring 6 would yield 5 points so no reason to give up even after scoring 5
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 14:06]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Points for winning and drawing on 14:03 - Mar 18 with 1736 viewsboromat

I think the current points system is a bit of a sweet spot. Increasing the gap between points for wins and draws/losses just puts a bigger gap between the top and the bottom and could mean most seasons we know or at least have a good idea of the final league positions alot earlier.

I also think we shouldn't devalue the art of defending. If you're going to give an extra point for teams scoring three goals or more then clean sheets should get a point as well. Maybe the extra point is given to any team that keeps a clean sheet and scores more than three goals.

Another thing that might help the game become more technical is points for best disciplinary record. Not sure how it would work though.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Points for winning and drawing on 14:34 - Mar 18 with 1675 viewsPotterDale

Points for winning and drawing on 13:15 - Mar 18 by electricblue

How about....
Goalless draw 0pts.
Score draw 1pt.
Winning result home 2pts.
Away win 3pts..

My idea is something similar. here are 3 point available for the match so...
Win and loss remain the same.
Home draw 1pt
Away draw 2pts

It should theoretically mean less home teams "settling" for a draw.
Points for winning and drawing on 14:45 - Mar 18 with 1662 views1mark1

Points for winning and drawing on 14:02 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

One of the frustrating aspects of Hilly's tenure is his apparent belief that it "disrespects" the opposition by beating them by four or more goals. (Yes, he has said that.) I'd argue the opposite - that it's disrepectful not to continue trying to score as many as possible once on top of the opposition, since there's an implication that it'd be easily done. It's sport, at the end of the day. Did he expect Spurs to ease off once they went 4-1 up at Wembley?

The exception to this was of course the 2-7 at Stockport, plus a couple of of big wins in his earliest days. I can't remember the last time we scored 5

Under the system you advocate Mark, scoring 6 would yield 5 points so no reason to give up even after scoring 5

I wasn’t advocating an extra point for each extra goal over a certain number of goals but merely a bonus point for scoring a certain number of goals whether you win, draw or lose. I would personally say score three goals and you get the bonus point.

Boromot makes a decent point, advocating a bonus point for not conceding, though it MIGHT lead to more parking the bus 🚎 situations.

Points for winning and drawing on 14:54 - Mar 18 with 1639 views1mark1

Points for winning and drawing on 14:03 - Mar 18 by boromat

I think the current points system is a bit of a sweet spot. Increasing the gap between points for wins and draws/losses just puts a bigger gap between the top and the bottom and could mean most seasons we know or at least have a good idea of the final league positions alot earlier.

I also think we shouldn't devalue the art of defending. If you're going to give an extra point for teams scoring three goals or more then clean sheets should get a point as well. Maybe the extra point is given to any team that keeps a clean sheet and scores more than three goals.

Another thing that might help the game become more technical is points for best disciplinary record. Not sure how it would work though.

You make a decent advocacy for rewarding good defence, however it might lead to more parking the 🚌 type situations, and as it stands, a team not conceding already get a point.

Regarding discipline, how about bonus point earned for no cards received during a game, though of course sometimes it’s subjective whether a card is awarded by a ref.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 14:55]

Points for winning and drawing on 14:57 - Mar 18 with 1629 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 14:02 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Last time we scored five was the 5-2 win at Crewe in August 2014.

Points for winning and drawing on 15:27 - Mar 18 with 1605 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 14:57 - Mar 18 by TVOS1907

Last time we scored five was the 5-2 win at Crewe in August 2014.

Cheers TVOS, the last home league five-fer is a distant memory (or rather, i can't remember!) I'd query whether it's the longest we've gone without scoring five at home in the league since the 1970s or even before

On the subject of how the introduction of the 3pts for a win affected football, i'd say the effect was negligible. Stats might be indicative but the general feel of football games didn't really change

[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 15:33]

Points for winning and drawing on 15:29 - Mar 18 with 1601 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 14:45 - Mar 18 by 1mark1

I wasn’t advocating an extra point for each extra goal over a certain number of goals but merely a bonus point for scoring a certain number of goals whether you win, draw or lose. I would personally say score three goals and you get the bonus point.

Boromot makes a decent point, advocating a bonus point for not conceding, though it MIGHT lead to more parking the bus 🚎 situations.

I wasn't advocating a point for each extra goal over a certain number either - but the logic of awarding an extra point for scoring say, 3 goals would require another extra point for scoring six; hence my saying there'd be no letting up even after scoring five with that system

Points for winning and drawing on 15:44 - Mar 18 with 1575 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 15:27 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Cheers TVOS, the last home league five-fer is a distant memory (or rather, i can't remember!) I'd query whether it's the longest we've gone without scoring five at home in the league since the 1970s or even before

On the subject of how the introduction of the 3pts for a win affected football, i'd say the effect was negligible. Stats might be indicative but the general feel of football games didn't really change

[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 15:33]

At home, 5-0 v Macclesfield in April 2007.

Edit: But we did beat Chester 6-1 in October 2008.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 15:58]

Points for winning and drawing on 15:50 - Mar 18 with 1566 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 15:44 - Mar 18 by TVOS1907

At home, 5-0 v Macclesfield in April 2007.

Edit: But we did beat Chester 6-1 in October 2008.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 15:58]

Nearly 11 years? I suspect that's the longest interval in our history, but not asking you to check - it's Sunday afternoon!

Points for winning and drawing on 15:57 - Mar 18 with 1553 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 15:50 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Nearly 11 years? I suspect that's the longest interval in our history, but not asking you to check - it's Sunday afternoon!

Actually, scrap that, we beat Chester 6-1 in October 2008.

Points for winning and drawing on 16:02 - Mar 18 with 1547 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 15:50 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Sunday afternoon or not (and Excel helps), I can't find a bigger gap.

The nearest is between defeating Hartlepool 5-3 in the League Cup in August 1973 to beating Northampton 5-3 in May 1982.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024