Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Done up front for run-in? 22:54 - Apr 17 with 4743 viewsrochedale

With Hendo gone, and looking like no Davies, and considering the fact we need to be scoring goals, I think KH could do worse than sacrificing MD from his defensive responsibilities and putting him up front. For me, it was a toss up between him, OR and CA for MOM today, so we would definitely miss him at wing-back, but we need a mobile goal scoring to take Hendo’s spot.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Done up front for run-in? on 23:11 - Apr 17 with 4654 viewsdingdangblue

If Done was confident of scoring goals I would have expected him to take the penalty in Hendo's absence?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Done up front for run-in? on 23:19 - Apr 17 with 4619 viewsboromat

Done up top sounds good to me but who at left wing back? Raff and Wiseman on the right. Or bring Nthle in?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Done up front for run-in? on 06:40 - Apr 18 with 4444 viewsNathaniel82

I’d try someone like kitching, just behind Calvin. . The lad has a decent amount of drive and is one of the lads who will actually attempt a shot from time to time.
If I were to start Dobre (a bit meh, apart from that goal imho) I’d get him playing on the shoulder of the defenders just to try and latch on to Calvin’s flick ons. At least that way he’d be where he was supposed to be and defensive duties would be minimum.
That said though, Inman has been a pleasant surprise in recent weeks. Last night was no exception, some of our best play was down that left hand side, with Inman involved in all of it. Possible play him behind the colossus that is Calvin Andrew.
Done up front for run-in? on 09:34 - Apr 18 with 4264 viewsScunnydale

I think Dobre needs to be at least on the bench, if not starting up front with Calvin. It seemed liked we could have done with that wildcard flair of his last night.
Done up front for run-in? on 10:44 - Apr 18 with 4157 viewsDaleiLama

For me, Inman edged motm last night over Calvin but not by much. His speed and first touch have improved a lot since being here and he made some penetrating runs which led to chances. His link up play was good too.

We made a load of chances again but no one is there to put them away. I mentioned Doney up front in another thread, as did someone else. He's scored goals in the past and would surely do so again if he's up there regularly. I'd roll the dice and give it a go if he trains there and gets his eye in again. We need goals from somewhere. I would have Dobre on the bench as a 'break glass in case of emergency option too'. Sometimes you need inspiration to break a deadlock and we've suffered from too many unbroken ones this season. No Hendo, no Davies ....... the goals have to come from somewhere to avoid the drop.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Done up front for run-in? on 12:01 - Apr 18 with 4048 viewsD_Alien

Thought Joey T did ok last night, put in a good shift, but wasn't quick enough to take advantage of the ball falling to him in the area first half with the goal gaping for a couple of seconds. Small margins, but i'd think of it like this. If you were a L1 defender, who would you rather have running at you, JT or Dobre? The latter makes a lot of runs into blind alleys but beats two or three lads before he gets there. In other words, he'd scare the shit out of defenders if he was given the freedom to play off Calvin and it'd only take a couple of runs where their defence was stretched to win the game. That'd happen three of four times each half

Our defence is pretty sorted. It's that cutting edge that's needed, and having such a talented footballer sat on the sidelines is a special form of nose-cutting-to-spite-face

In addition, leaving him upfield when the opposition have corners would have them wondering whether two defenders back would be enough
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 12:19]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Done up front for run-in? on 12:45 - Apr 18 with 3952 viewsboromat

Done up front for run-in? on 12:01 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

Thought Joey T did ok last night, put in a good shift, but wasn't quick enough to take advantage of the ball falling to him in the area first half with the goal gaping for a couple of seconds. Small margins, but i'd think of it like this. If you were a L1 defender, who would you rather have running at you, JT or Dobre? The latter makes a lot of runs into blind alleys but beats two or three lads before he gets there. In other words, he'd scare the shit out of defenders if he was given the freedom to play off Calvin and it'd only take a couple of runs where their defence was stretched to win the game. That'd happen three of four times each half

Our defence is pretty sorted. It's that cutting edge that's needed, and having such a talented footballer sat on the sidelines is a special form of nose-cutting-to-spite-face

In addition, leaving him upfield when the opposition have corners would have them wondering whether two defenders back would be enough
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 12:19]

Joey T was brilliant last night. I think there is a balance to be had and Joey T's positioning was great he was offensive without getting caught out of position defensively. That's where Dobre seems to miss out. Last night we needed not to lose that game a win would have been a bonus. I think Dobre would have tipped the balance too far away from being solid enough without the ball.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Done up front for run-in? on 13:27 - Apr 18 with 3857 viewsD_Alien

Done up front for run-in? on 12:45 - Apr 18 by boromat

Joey T was brilliant last night. I think there is a balance to be had and Joey T's positioning was great he was offensive without getting caught out of position defensively. That's where Dobre seems to miss out. Last night we needed not to lose that game a win would have been a bonus. I think Dobre would have tipped the balance too far away from being solid enough without the ball.

'Brilliant' is taking it a bit too far in his defence, when there's no need to defend him, he did what was expected until he ran out of steam

What we actually need now is someone to do something unexpected. I can just about accept that last night was a 'must-not-lose' game, but that's left us with 4 games to take the step out of the bottom four, two of them against playoff-chasing sides. We'll get chances in those games, as we did last night, and sometimes it comes down to the manager taking his chances too. Having a back 3/5 isn't utilising that system if you don't allow your 2 up front to retain their primary focus on attack

Login to get fewer ads

Done up front for run-in? on 14:45 - Apr 18 with 3778 viewsrochdaleriddler

Think we are running out of 'must not lose 'games. I certainly don't want to be needing a win on the last day to have a chance of staying up. Would have been better to win last night than to win on Saturday . To win games you have to score, if we do t win Saturday I fear it's all over

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Done up front for run-in? on 14:53 - Apr 18 with 3768 viewssweetcorn

Humphreys should be starting up front next game, lads showed he’s got talent and when given the opportunity he can put the ball in the net..

If thompsons chances landed to humphreys i feel he’d have scored..
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 14:58]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:54 - Apr 18 with 3765 viewsdingdangblue

Done up front for run-in? on 13:27 - Apr 18 by D_Alien

'Brilliant' is taking it a bit too far in his defence, when there's no need to defend him, he did what was expected until he ran out of steam

What we actually need now is someone to do something unexpected. I can just about accept that last night was a 'must-not-lose' game, but that's left us with 4 games to take the step out of the bottom four, two of them against playoff-chasing sides. We'll get chances in those games, as we did last night, and sometimes it comes down to the manager taking his chances too. Having a back 3/5 isn't utilising that system if you don't allow your 2 up front to retain their primary focus on attack

I really believe last night was must win. Realistically we have to win 2 games from 4 and we really don't want one of those to have to be the Charlton game. So we need 2 wins from the next 3. Bearing in mind we've only won 1 league game at home since November it's now a very tough ask. With Hendo it would have been difficult but a lot more likely. Someone certainly needs to step forward and be a hero in the next few games. At least Bradford and Plymouth will be coming to win so they should be 2 very open exciting games. The pressure is definitely on.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 15:03]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Done up front for run-in? on 18:00 - Apr 18 with 3560 viewsaleanddale

Done up front for run-in? on 14:53 - Apr 18 by sweetcorn

Humphreys should be starting up front next game, lads showed he’s got talent and when given the opportunity he can put the ball in the net..

agree 100% Sweetcorn.

Not the finished article by a long shot but the best we have of what is available.

Edit.....

the following could be enough

Dale 0-0 Bradford

Dale 0-0 Plymouth

Oxford 0-0 Dale

Dale 1-0 Charlton ( Big Jim powerful header 90+5 mins )

Spotland roof comes off!!!!
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 18:02]
Done up front for run-in? on 19:59 - Apr 18 with 3430 viewsrochdaleriddler

Done up front for run-in? on 18:00 - Apr 18 by aleanddale

agree 100% Sweetcorn.

Not the finished article by a long shot but the best we have of what is available.

Edit.....

the following could be enough

Dale 0-0 Bradford

Dale 0-0 Plymouth

Oxford 0-0 Dale

Dale 1-0 Charlton ( Big Jim powerful header 90+5 mins )

Spotland roof comes off!!!!
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 18:02]

You been sharing substances with the pitch invader?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Done up front for run-in? on 20:16 - Apr 18 with 3405 viewsgeraldo

Joey T wasn't brilliant - he wasn't even adequate ( see the player scores for last night)

Looking at the teamsheet suggested he was a second striker playing off Calvin but he rarely got anywhere near Calvin , he just ran aimlessly around midfield not putting in a tackle or attempting a header.When he was in the box he had two decent chances - both of which he fluffed.
He may well have put a shift in at Peterborough, but he is nowhere near good enough for Lg1 - he shouldn't be on the bench never mind starting a game.What hold does he have over KH?
Done up front for run-in? on 20:29 - Apr 18 with 3381 viewssykeboy

Done up front for run-in? on 20:16 - Apr 18 by geraldo

Joey T wasn't brilliant - he wasn't even adequate ( see the player scores for last night)

Looking at the teamsheet suggested he was a second striker playing off Calvin but he rarely got anywhere near Calvin , he just ran aimlessly around midfield not putting in a tackle or attempting a header.When he was in the box he had two decent chances - both of which he fluffed.
He may well have put a shift in at Peterborough, but he is nowhere near good enough for Lg1 - he shouldn't be on the bench never mind starting a game.What hold does he have over KH?

Have to agree that’s how I viewed JT’s performance last night
Done up front for run-in? on 20:43 - Apr 18 with 3340 viewsNoxidgiarc

To be honest, playing Calvin as a target man and flick the ball on and win the balls up to him he needs some one to be playing off him and running on to those flicks. Ideally somebody with pace. I personally would try Dobre.

At the end of the day if it doesn't work we change it. Holly as shown recently he's not affraid to do that with Humphrys being took off after 19 mins against Wigan
Done up front for run-in? on 20:45 - Apr 18 with 3333 views442Dale

Done up front for run-in? on 20:16 - Apr 18 by geraldo

He was fine first half, did the job that was asked of him which wasn’t as a second striker at all. He might not be good enough, but it irks when people actually ignore what happens out on the pitch and Thompson’s contribution was much as it was last season when we were doing well - help the side retain a structure.

Thought we waited 10-15 minutes too long to swap him for Humphrys, as the impetus we had was starting to reduce when the sub was made. Again, much like when he was brought on against Portsmouth, when he’s on or off the pitch is down to the manager, not the player.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Done up front for run-in? on 21:51 - Apr 18 with 3231 viewsFrog

Done up front for run-in? on 14:53 - Apr 18 by sweetcorn

Humphreys 2 goals in 10 starts and our best hope? It's been a long season.
Done up front for run-in? on 08:40 - Apr 19 with 3021 viewsaleanddale

Done up front for run-in? on 21:51 - Apr 18 by Frog

Humphreys 2 goals in 10 starts and our best hope? It's been a long season.

if he end up with 5 in 14 that could just be enough!!

I agree he is our best option but Hilly will have his own thoughts on how best to get something from all 4 remaining games.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2018 8:41]
Done up front for run-in? on 10:01 - Apr 19 with 2967 viewsjonesy

Joe and Calvin combined well at Peterborough! Should have had a penalty if he had not stayed on his feet.
Done up front for run-in? on 10:32 - Apr 19 with 2934 viewsD_Alien

Done up front for run-in? on 10:01 - Apr 19 by jonesy

Joe and Calvin combined well at Peterborough! Should have had a penalty if he had not stayed on his feet.

He did well to win the penalty on Tuesday, and the Oldham players targeted him with some rough stuff after that - which he stood up to, supported by his teammates

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024