Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Arsene 10:15 - Apr 20 with 2571 viewsrochdaleriddler

22 years, I doubt anyone else in future will get anywhere near that figure

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Farewell Arsene on 10:23 - Apr 20 with 2560 viewsToffeemanc

Another place further up the list of longest serving for Hilly then.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Farewell Arsene on 10:56 - Apr 20 with 2481 viewselectricblue

The gooners will be over joyed....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Farewell Arsene on 11:24 - Apr 20 with 2434 viewsdingdangblue

Arsene Wenger Premier League stats:

Games 823, wins 473, losses 151, goals scored 1,549, league titles 3

I know they haven't won the league in a long long time but that really is a wonderful record over so many games. Only 151 losses in over 800 games and over 50% win ratio.
Will be really interesting who they go for to replace him as the Arsenal fans expect a certain style of football and think they should be challenging for league titles.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Farewell Arsene on 11:29 - Apr 20 with 2430 viewsjoecooke

Great Manager,created some fantastic footballing sides and oversaw Arsenal through a massive transitional period of building a new stadium from scratch whilst keeping a team competative .

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Farewell Arsene on 11:54 - Apr 20 with 2379 views100notout

Farewell Arsene on 11:29 - Apr 20 by joecooke

Great Manager,created some fantastic footballing sides and oversaw Arsenal through a massive transitional period of building a new stadium from scratch whilst keeping a team competative .

Agree with that Joe.

22 years ago he was a breath of fresh air, new coaching methods, tactics etc etc. However the footballing world caught up whilst he continued with the same old and eventually Arsenal were overtaken by the top teams. The influx of billions in the industry also played a part in his demise - he was too mean / stubborn / unfit to use it well.

His tenure lasted 3/4 years too long - will be interesting to see who they go for / what spending they make in the next 2/3 windows - its not like they haven't got the money.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Farewell Arsene on 12:13 - Apr 20 with 2346 viewsjudd

Told a bury fan at work that Wenger was leaving because he needed a new challenge and that challenge was to manage bury next season.

"If he fookin' comes here I'm fookin' off."

Oh.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Farewell Arsene on 12:32 - Apr 20 with 2298 viewsmeeee

Farewell Arsene on 10:23 - Apr 20 by Toffeemanc

Another place further up the list of longest serving for Hilly then.

Tisdale looks like he's on his way out of Exeter since he's out of contract at the end of the season so that will be another place if he goes
Farewell Arsene on 12:33 - Apr 20 with 2292 viewsSandyman

Farewell Arsene on 12:13 - Apr 20 by judd

Told a bury fan at work that Wenger was leaving because he needed a new challenge and that challenge was to manage bury next season.

"If he fookin' comes here I'm fookin' off."

Oh.

Ryan Lowe to Arsenal ?
Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Arsene on 12:36 - Apr 20 with 2285 viewsSuddenLad

One of the greatest ever managers in British football history

No-one had ever heard of him when he arrived and now no-one will ever forget him.

He has made an almost immeasurable contribution to both Arsenal specifically and British football in general.

His legacy will live on for years to come. I wish him well.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Farewell Arsene on 12:48 - Apr 20 with 2247 viewsEllDale

If Lowe has rants about underperforming, overpaid players then I don't think that Arsenal is an option.......
Farewell Arsene on 17:58 - Apr 20 with 2003 viewsColDale

One thing I've never understood is that when Arsenal were at their peak, he had two of the toughest players in the game in Viera and Petit at the centre of the side. They ensured that the battle would be won and that would allow the flair players to do their bit (not that they couldn't play a bit themselves). it's as if Wenger saw this as being a flaw in his great sides and fancied getting a team full of flair players rather than going with what had proven to be such a success.
Farewell Arsene on 00:53 - Apr 21 with 1785 viewsJimmyRustler

Farewell Arsene on 17:58 - Apr 20 by ColDale

One thing I've never understood is that when Arsenal were at their peak, he had two of the toughest players in the game in Viera and Petit at the centre of the side. They ensured that the battle would be won and that would allow the flair players to do their bit (not that they couldn't play a bit themselves). it's as if Wenger saw this as being a flaw in his great sides and fancied getting a team full of flair players rather than going with what had proven to be such a success.

I think it's more to do with leaders than tough players tbh. The 'modern' game doesn't really allow for your combative, all-action midfidlers as they would likely be sent off every other game nowadays. I do think Arsenal have been missing leadership though (which the two you mentioned had in abundance)
Farewell Arsene on 09:54 - Apr 21 with 1692 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Farewell Arsene on 00:53 - Apr 21 by JimmyRustler

I think it's more to do with leaders than tough players tbh. The 'modern' game doesn't really allow for your combative, all-action midfidlers as they would likely be sent off every other game nowadays. I do think Arsenal have been missing leadership though (which the two you mentioned had in abundance)

I’m not sure that’s the case. I just don’t think there’s that much of a rigid distinction anymore. In England we always thought there was a trade-off between the combative types and the skilful playmaker types. The foreign influence has thankfully changed that. The technical and fitness side of the English game has improved so much that you can’t just be one or the other, you have to be combatative and technically good. Look at David Silva or Kante, they both work incredibly hard but can play. Don’t get me wrong Silva is a better playmaker and Kante is a better spoiler but they can both do the other. Even at our level, the technical ability of players such as Rathbone and Cannon (2 what you would call all action types) is very good.
If you ever want to go back in time watch Lee Cattermole at Sunderland. Box to box, fist pumping, tough, crunching tackler and pained expression wearing trench companion. All the ingredients of an English hero. Gives the ball away every time he passes it thus rendering all his hard work utterly futile.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Farewell Arsene on 10:19 - Apr 21 with 1676 viewsD_Alien

Farewell Arsene on 09:54 - Apr 21 by BigDaveMyCock

I’m not sure that’s the case. I just don’t think there’s that much of a rigid distinction anymore. In England we always thought there was a trade-off between the combative types and the skilful playmaker types. The foreign influence has thankfully changed that. The technical and fitness side of the English game has improved so much that you can’t just be one or the other, you have to be combatative and technically good. Look at David Silva or Kante, they both work incredibly hard but can play. Don’t get me wrong Silva is a better playmaker and Kante is a better spoiler but they can both do the other. Even at our level, the technical ability of players such as Rathbone and Cannon (2 what you would call all action types) is very good.
If you ever want to go back in time watch Lee Cattermole at Sunderland. Box to box, fist pumping, tough, crunching tackler and pained expression wearing trench companion. All the ingredients of an English hero. Gives the ball away every time he passes it thus rendering all his hard work utterly futile.

Fully agree with your points about skill & combat required in the modern-day midfielder, but in a sense that confirms JR's point about leadership, or absence of it. The Arsenal midfield has never been short of players who can play and none of them have been wallflowers (Xhaka being the most recent example of someone who likes to mix it) but there's been a lack of a figure with real authority to galvanise the team when they've been up against it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Farewell Arsene on 10:44 - Apr 21 with 1651 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Farewell Arsene on 10:19 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

Fully agree with your points about skill & combat required in the modern-day midfielder, but in a sense that confirms JR's point about leadership, or absence of it. The Arsenal midfield has never been short of players who can play and none of them have been wallflowers (Xhaka being the most recent example of someone who likes to mix it) but there's been a lack of a figure with real authority to galvanise the team when they've been up against it

Fair point, it was more about there not being a role for all action types these days.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Farewell Arsene on 20:43 - Apr 21 with 1550 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024