Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most important vote since Brexit? 18:38 - Apr 22 with 2516 viewsNigeriamark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43841175

Interesting vote. From a previous article it seems that the question was on Identity. Does CAMRA represent real ale or does it represent fighting to keep pubs open irrespective of what people drink. 73% seemed to represent the latter view but they needed 75% so CAMRA will "remain" primarily for real ale drinkers.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 21:50 - Apr 22 with 2320 viewsD_Alien

As a former CAMRA member, it's now an organisation without a cause, since the battles they set themselves up to fight have been won beyond their wildest dreams

The proliferation of microbreweries in addition to the big brewers having to raise their game has led to what is probably an oversupply of ale options which is leading to a reduction in quality since quite a few of the ales i've sampled in the past year or so have been pretty average. A case in point: the Mighty Medicine brewery in Rochdale, supplying the Old Post Office. Tried a pint there and it was very average and not well-kept, when it should've been on top form to attract new customers. I'll give it another go in the future, but the venue itself doesn't have a lot to recommend it either; just a space with a bar, indifferent decor and staff

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:16 - Apr 22 with 2275 viewsjudd

Most important vote since Brexit? on 21:50 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

As a former CAMRA member, it's now an organisation without a cause, since the battles they set themselves up to fight have been won beyond their wildest dreams

The proliferation of microbreweries in addition to the big brewers having to raise their game has led to what is probably an oversupply of ale options which is leading to a reduction in quality since quite a few of the ales i've sampled in the past year or so have been pretty average. A case in point: the Mighty Medicine brewery in Rochdale, supplying the Old Post Office. Tried a pint there and it was very average and not well-kept, when it should've been on top form to attract new customers. I'll give it another go in the future, but the venue itself doesn't have a lot to recommend it either; just a space with a bar, indifferent decor and staff

Cracking bogs tbf

Poll: What is it to be then?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:22 - Apr 22 with 2268 viewsTVOS1907

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:16 - Apr 22 by judd

Cracking bogs tbf

BOGOF?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:35 - Apr 22 with 2252 viewsD_Alien

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:16 - Apr 22 by judd

Cracking bogs tbf

Didn't pay a visit, is it worth spending some time in there?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:45 - Apr 22 with 2236 viewsTVOS1907

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:35 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

Didn't pay a visit, is it worth spending some time in there?

As long as you don't waste time...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:47 - Apr 22 with 2234 viewsD_Alien

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:45 - Apr 22 by TVOS1907

As long as you don't waste time...

I've never been one to continually reposition my balls in the box

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:57 - Apr 22 with 2219 viewsmingthemerciless

As a lager drinker I've got a really good choice in there, about half a dozen lagers all in really good condition. The place is a bit soulless I feel, it reminds me of a bar in a big railway station were people are coming and going all the time without a real clientele.
The toilets are a bit different to say the least.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:22 - Apr 22 with 2187 viewsrochdale_ranger

Most important vote since Brexit? on 22:57 - Apr 22 by mingthemerciless

As a lager drinker I've got a really good choice in there, about half a dozen lagers all in really good condition. The place is a bit soulless I feel, it reminds me of a bar in a big railway station were people are coming and going all the time without a real clientele.
The toilets are a bit different to say the least.

Think it’s going for a more bar feel rather then cozy pub.
Login to get fewer ads

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:31 - Apr 22 with 2175 viewsD_Alien

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:22 - Apr 22 by rochdale_ranger

Think it’s going for a more bar feel rather then cozy pub.

Which is fair enough, since proper pubs with character take years - decades - to evolve

It's just that, given the history of the place, can't help but feel it could be doing something more. Just lacking in imagination or providing a reason to spend money in there rather than somewhere else

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:55 - Apr 22 with 2151 viewsrochdale_ranger

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:31 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

Which is fair enough, since proper pubs with character take years - decades - to evolve

It's just that, given the history of the place, can't help but feel it could be doing something more. Just lacking in imagination or providing a reason to spend money in there rather than somewhere else

Does seem like they could be doing more with the place I agree with that aswell. It’s spacious with seating all around the sides and a whole lot of nothing in the middle. Booked the day off last Tuesday and went out with an Oldham supporting mate around the town. First time I’ve been out for a a good year or two in the town centre having moved out of the area. Was nice to go in the flyer, the medicine tap, the Wellington aswell as the roebuck and the regal. The towns definitely improving as far as ale houses are going.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 00:02 - Apr 23 with 2141 viewskiwidale

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:55 - Apr 22 by rochdale_ranger

Does seem like they could be doing more with the place I agree with that aswell. It’s spacious with seating all around the sides and a whole lot of nothing in the middle. Booked the day off last Tuesday and went out with an Oldham supporting mate around the town. First time I’ve been out for a a good year or two in the town centre having moved out of the area. Was nice to go in the flyer, the medicine tap, the Wellington aswell as the roebuck and the regal. The towns definitely improving as far as ale houses are going.

what did your Oldham mate think of the relegation battle for what its worth I think we have run out of options if Oldham manage to win on Tuesday and we don't I think its all over for us.

This is not the time for bickering.

Most important vote since Brexit? on 00:34 - Apr 23 with 2124 viewsrochdale_ranger

Most important vote since Brexit? on 00:02 - Apr 23 by kiwidale

what did your Oldham mate think of the relegation battle for what its worth I think we have run out of options if Oldham manage to win on Tuesday and we don't I think its all over for us.

Two of my good mates are biffos, one is if the opinion that we do things right and are a well run club. The other can be an arrogant shit “It’s ok if you go down you’ve been there. It will cripple us” but he does admit the anti city songs they sing are cringeworthy and they should rehash the lyrics to suit their new local rivals. Me personally, I’m looking forward to Macclesfield and Morcambe next season. Fully expecting us to go down and not deluding myself so the blow won’t be as bad when it happens. If we are in the same position next season in league two heads need to roll. Big changes needed this summer regardless of whether we stay up or not.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 04:17 - Apr 23 with 2086 viewsSandyman

I'm glad that vote went the way it did. D Alien's comment about real ale quality is one of the numerous things the organisation is still campaigning for. Was in the Flying Horse and Regal Moon yesterday and the beer quality was excellent, as it was on the one occasion I went in the former Post Office in town.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:12 - Apr 23 with 1967 viewsNigeriamark

Interestingly enough some of the hard liners want to exclude Craft ales from being covered by CAMRA too as they do not class them as Real Ale. I'm definitely in the focus on the quality camp rather than quantity of ales & pubs. It has been good to see more ale drinkers, but we don't want to compromise the taste.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:37 - Apr 23 with 1948 viewsDaleiLama

Most important vote since Brexit? on 04:17 - Apr 23 by Sandyman

I'm glad that vote went the way it did. D Alien's comment about real ale quality is one of the numerous things the organisation is still campaigning for. Was in the Flying Horse and Regal Moon yesterday and the beer quality was excellent, as it was on the one occasion I went in the former Post Office in town.

I'm glad too - the vote almost had to go that way - as DA said, the main raison d'être of CAMRA has been fulfilled, but Real Ale is what it's always all been about and always should be.

Interesting that 72% of votes from "over 25k" were taken into account but CAMRA has over 188k members around the world. Also interesting that the organisation has recently undergone a root and branch evaluation with a view to future strategy.

In my view, the biggest campaigning challenge CAMRA faces now is to stop pub closures. The gulf in price between drinking in/out and the value of real estate makes it really tough. Plug for the Spotty social club - two pints of Golden Pippin = £5.30. Good quality and belting vfm!

I'm a lapsed member of CAMRA too. They still do good work promoting good beer in their monthly/quarterly free magazines in most areas, at their beer festivals and with their beer scoring system. A mate of mine registers a score out of 5 on-line for every beer he drinks in every pub anywhere in the country. He travels a lot and does lots of sampling. Great way to improve beer quality the more it is used. Also, the good beer guide is a target for landlords who care. As DA also points out, too many don't though. Nowt as good as a quality fresh pint and nowt worse than the opposite.

Be interesting to see how CAMRA evolves ...... I thought it had got complacent with bulging membership and ale everywhere and ended up as a glorified drinking club without aim, but maybe it still has a role? They used to issue the equivalent cost of membership in beer discount vouchers at Wetherspoons - great if you drink a lot in one of their pubs, but I've also noticed that more and more pubs are offering discount on the price of a pint to CAMRA members these days - the current Lunesdale drinker lists 30 pubs with 10-40p/pint discount and one brewpub offering a £1/pint discount on own-ales. Little wonder their membership numbers are what they are really, but still staggering for "just" a consumer organisation.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:44 - Apr 23 with 1934 viewsDaleiLama

Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:12 - Apr 23 by Nigeriamark

Interestingly enough some of the hard liners want to exclude Craft ales from being covered by CAMRA too as they do not class them as Real Ale. I'm definitely in the focus on the quality camp rather than quantity of ales & pubs. It has been good to see more ale drinkers, but we don't want to compromise the taste.

For me, the term craft is a marketing masterstroke. What does it even mean? All beer is crafted. Taste is subjective, quality isn't. CAMRA stands for quality real ale. Keg beer is pasteurised, often over-cooled and always carbonated, to make it easier to handle and the landlord suffers less wastage, but (imho) at the expense of flavour and quality. If craft beer is keg, then I'm afraid I'm one of the hard-liners too. I am not saying there is no market for this kind of beer - there clearly is, but it is not for CAMRA to campaign for and promote. The organisation is the campaign for real ale, not campaign for alcoholic drinks.

Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:53 - Apr 23 with 1917 viewsdownunder

Most important vote since Brexit? on 23:31 - Apr 22 by D_Alien

So similar to the nearby opening up of the River. A little disappointing, once seen, in my opinion.
Most important vote since Brexit? on 11:41 - Apr 23 with 1804 viewsD_Alien

Most important vote since Brexit? on 08:53 - Apr 23 by downunder

So similar to the nearby opening up of the River. A little disappointing, once seen, in my opinion.

Some really good points above, and i agree with yours too

I really welcomed the opening up of the Roch in the centre of the town bearing it's name, but its just so unimaginative what they've done. I guess there were plenty of constraints regarding public space and safety, but for the amount of money spent, the design is just bland. It's still an improvement though, and there's a really good choice of eating/drinking places growing around it. Like the inside of the Medicine Tap (old post office), it just needs someone with a flair for design to add something. A bit of ironwork around the bridges, for instance

Most important vote since Brexit? on 12:55 - Apr 23 with 1747 viewsjudd

http://i0.wp.com/pantheon-magazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/16520325295_

Poll: What is it to be then?

Most important vote since Brexit? on 13:36 - Apr 23 with 1706 viewsDaleiLama

Most important vote since Brexit? on 12:55 - Apr 23 by judd

http://i0.wp.com/pantheon-magazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/16520325295_

I chuckled at Cludgies selling Watneys. Hope it was chilled a little between collecting and serving.

Most important vote since Brexit? on 17:15 - Apr 24 with 1485 viewsJames1980

What was the navagation inn, like? I often pass it on my trips
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 17:45]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024