Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Draws 10:01 - Apr 24 with 3011 viewsdingdangblue

Have really damaged our season. Certainly home draws - at the same stage of last season's 'superb' season our record was Pld43 W18 D10 L15. At this stage of our 'shite' season we have Pld43 W10 D17 L16. So we have lost roughly the same amount of games but we've not turned those home draws into wins for various reasons (bad luck,mistakes,not taking chances). Certainly there's at least 4 extra games we should have won (Northampton,Portsmouth,Oldham,Bradford).
Funnily enough a point tonight would get us out of the bottom 4 but we really are desperate for 3 after only drawing the last 2 we should have won. Those 4 extra points last week would have meant a win tonight would have put us safe - the fine lines of staying up or going down.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Draws on 10:04 - Apr 24 with 3004 viewsDareToCalvin

Its the reason we are where we are. Draws at home against every team 16th or below (apart from Gillingham) is mental and is surely the main reason why we are down there. If these draws were converted into wins, I'm sure it would've been another successful season, considering Josh's clean sheet record and our number of games lost, which is lower than some teams in the top half.
Draws on 10:23 - Apr 24 with 2958 viewsdingdangblue

Draws on 10:04 - Apr 24 by DareToCalvin

Its the reason we are where we are. Draws at home against every team 16th or below (apart from Gillingham) is mental and is surely the main reason why we are down there. If these draws were converted into wins, I'm sure it would've been another successful season, considering Josh's clean sheet record and our number of games lost, which is lower than some teams in the top half.

Luckily our last 2 home games are teams above 16th 😉

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Draws on 10:53 - Apr 24 with 2907 viewsSwissdale

Which is why I’ll be disappointed if we line up unchanged again tonight - I.e. without a goal scorer. I’d be switching Thompson for Dobre/Humphrys. Desperately need someone who can play off Andrew’s knock downs. Thompson hasn’t been bad on his return but doesn’t offer as much as Inman going forward.

With Plymouth needing a win it’s more like an away game for us, in which the 5 man defence has worked - but we have relied on Henderson for goals in those games.

Whilst we are at it, please do not think Ntlhe is a good option coming off the bench to defend a lead - he’s positionally unaware and a bit lazy. As soon as Rathbone came off on Saturday Bradford were given far too much time on the ball in the centre of the park - Ntlhe seemed to just drift about.
Draws on 11:01 - Apr 24 with 2886 viewsJimmyRustler

Draws on 10:53 - Apr 24 by Swissdale

Which is why I’ll be disappointed if we line up unchanged again tonight - I.e. without a goal scorer. I’d be switching Thompson for Dobre/Humphrys. Desperately need someone who can play off Andrew’s knock downs. Thompson hasn’t been bad on his return but doesn’t offer as much as Inman going forward.

With Plymouth needing a win it’s more like an away game for us, in which the 5 man defence has worked - but we have relied on Henderson for goals in those games.

Whilst we are at it, please do not think Ntlhe is a good option coming off the bench to defend a lead - he’s positionally unaware and a bit lazy. As soon as Rathbone came off on Saturday Bradford were given far too much time on the ball in the centre of the park - Ntlhe seemed to just drift about.

Wiseman should surely be *THE* option off the bench to shore things up as opposed to Nthle. I know the latter did OK at Bury when he came on but they're gash and don't count
Draws on 11:15 - Apr 24 with 2853 viewsdingdangblue

I agree. Thompson has done 'a job' in both games but at the end of the day he's just not a natural goalscorer or finisher. We are never going to replace what Hendo brings to the team but Humphrys is more likely to finish any chances we create. If Humphrys has been punished for his poor showing v Wigan or not performing to Hill's instructions then he's paid his price not starting the last 3 games. I know a point will put us out of the bottom 4 tonight and it's going to be a tense game whatever happens. Humphrys will be desperate to show what he can do and I think he should start this one.

Draws on 12:54 - Apr 24 with 2690 viewsShun

I think there are a lot more than those 4 games that we should have won.
Off the top of my head, the home games against Oxford, Wimbledon, Oldham, Southend were all ones we were comfortably the better side but just couldn’t find the winner, and the home games against Walsall, Portsmouth, Bradford stand out as ones we were seconds from winning before a late suckerpunch.

And although I might possess bias I can only really think of Doncaster at home as a game that we got a result better than we deserved.

So call it what you want, bad luck or poor finishing or lack of composure or inability to hold on to a lead or lack of mental strength, but we really should’ve done better in those results I’ve listed.
Draws on 12:59 - Apr 24 with 2662 viewsrochdaleriddler

Some people on here think draws are great .

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Draws on 13:01 - Apr 24 with 2659 viewsDaleFan7

Every team in the league will have games they look back on and 'should have won' or 'should have got at least a point'. Over a 46 game season it evens itself out. If we are still in the bottom 4 after the last game of the season, the reason we will be there is because we haven't been good enough, nothing else.

Hopefully we'll win tonight and that won't happen, however!
Login to get fewer ads

Draws on 13:44 - Apr 24 with 2557 viewsdingdangblue

Spookily...

If Plymouth lose tonight
Their record will be Pld43 W18 D10 L15 - our stats from last season I quoted earlier.

#gottobeasign
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 13:44]

Draws on 13:52 - Apr 24 with 2539 viewsupthedale

Draws on 12:54 - Apr 24 by Shun

I think there are a lot more than those 4 games that we should have won.
Off the top of my head, the home games against Oxford, Wimbledon, Oldham, Southend were all ones we were comfortably the better side but just couldn’t find the winner, and the home games against Walsall, Portsmouth, Bradford stand out as ones we were seconds from winning before a late suckerpunch.

And although I might possess bias I can only really think of Doncaster at home as a game that we got a result better than we deserved.

So call it what you want, bad luck or poor finishing or lack of composure or inability to hold on to a lead or lack of mental strength, but we really should’ve done better in those results I’ve listed.

Agreed, and I'd add MK Dons to that too.
Draws on 13:54 - Apr 24 with 2529 viewsShun

Draws on 13:52 - Apr 24 by upthedale

Agreed, and I'd add MK Dons to that too.

I was thinking about adding that game but we were pretty terrible too. Such a depressing game after the majesty of the Spurs match.
Draws on 14:00 - Apr 24 with 2515 viewsEllDale

How did we only draw 0-0 against ten man Bury.....
Draws on 14:40 - Apr 24 with 2429 viewsBainesy15

Big problem for me with Ntlhe when he came on was, he came on as a defensive midfielder and appeared to have no idea what he was doing there...
Draws on 14:43 - Apr 24 with 2415 viewsNigeriamark

Few other stats supporting the argument

Based on fewest games lost we would be joint 11th ( I wonder what is the fewest games lost for a team that was relegated - bet we are close)

Of the 6 teams who have had less than 10 draws the worse placed is Fleetwood in 15th ( & they have lost 4 games more than us)

Portsmouth have lost 3 games more than us yet are just going to miss out of a play off spot because their win to draw ratio in the remaining games is good)

The original change to 3 points for a win was for teams to go for it rather than draws. If we had gone for the win in most of the 17 we have drawn instead of focusing on not losing ( in my opinion that is what has happened) then of course you will lose a few of those but that is only 1 point gone, set against the 2 extra points you get for each extra win. Clearly you will still get some draws too
Draws on 15:03 - Apr 24 with 2383 viewsdingdangblue

Draws on 14:43 - Apr 24 by Nigeriamark

Few other stats supporting the argument

Based on fewest games lost we would be joint 11th ( I wonder what is the fewest games lost for a team that was relegated - bet we are close)

Of the 6 teams who have had less than 10 draws the worse placed is Fleetwood in 15th ( & they have lost 4 games more than us)

Portsmouth have lost 3 games more than us yet are just going to miss out of a play off spot because their win to draw ratio in the remaining games is good)

The original change to 3 points for a win was for teams to go for it rather than draws. If we had gone for the win in most of the 17 we have drawn instead of focusing on not losing ( in my opinion that is what has happened) then of course you will lose a few of those but that is only 1 point gone, set against the 2 extra points you get for each extra win. Clearly you will still get some draws too

Tables from 98/99 onwards.

http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/england/league-one-2005-2006/standings/KzJveS1P

Only 2 real anomalies in the last 20 years.
Bristol Rovers in 00/01 and Torquay in 04/05.
Relegated losing under 20 games (both 19)
Both relegated on 51 points.
Bristol Rovers goal difference was -4 !
All other seasons teams were relegated on 50 points or less.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 15:34]

Draws on 17:43 - Apr 24 with 2238 viewsEllDale

I'm sure that I recall Hilly as saying a couple of years ago after we finished in the top 10 but won nearly as many as we lost that the key to movement up the table was to turn defeats into draws.
We've managed to turn wins into draws as well though!
Draws on 19:10 - Apr 24 with 2182 viewsNigeriamark

Draws on 15:03 - Apr 24 by dingdangblue

Tables from 98/99 onwards.

http://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/england/league-one-2005-2006/standings/KzJveS1P

Only 2 real anomalies in the last 20 years.
Bristol Rovers in 00/01 and Torquay in 04/05.
Relegated losing under 20 games (both 19)
Both relegated on 51 points.
Bristol Rovers goal difference was -4 !
All other seasons teams were relegated on 50 points or less.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 15:34]

1 year Northampton lost 25 games and stayed up. However had 14 wins and just 7 draws
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024