Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What have we got left and what do we need? - Updated 18:59 - May 15 with 9928 viewsisitme

With the belated announcement of the retained list what do we need for next season? I believe the following are under contract:

Updated Squad

Lillis - Moore - (Wade)

Rafferty - Finnerty - McNulty - Delaney - Ntlhe - Done

Perkins - Camps - Rathbone - Morley - Adshead - (Cannon)

Andrew - Henderson- Williams - Dooley - Gillam - (Thompson)

Including Adshead that gives us 14 players under contract. I would not be surprised if Ntlhe and Williams were available for transfer given the right circumstances. I expect all of the players bar McGahey to sign the contracts offered to them. Someone will offer him more money than we can. I think Cannon's lack of games earlier in the season will count against him, so a bit like Rafferty last season he will probably stay as he cannot find a better deal.

I would suggest that we need the following, assuming we will play 352 for most of next season:

- Back up for Rafferty.

- Two centre backs. One to replace McGahey and a back up.

- Left wing back. I am assuming that Nthle will not be with us by the start of next season.

- Two midfielders (three if Cannon leaves). One experienced holding player who would start and another who can play further forward who could challenge to start.

- A striker to play with Henderson so that Calvin can become more of a squad/spot starter.

- A forward with pace who could operate wide or off the top.

For me the two key signings would be a first choice striker to play with Henderson and an influential holding midfielder. I would not be surprised if Williams who we had on loan from Liverpool is signed, if available.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 9:13]
What have we got left and what do we need? on 19:09 - May 15 with 7094 viewsNathaniel82

I think we need players that can play in that 3-5-2 formation but we also need players that can enable us to have more formations under our belt. Being able to change things up is a huge bonus.
Hopefully Hilly can find a couple or three players that give us this tactical fluidity.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 19:10 - May 15 with 7086 viewsblackdogblue

I would sign Inman, didn’t set the world on fire at the start but believe he could be the new Mendez with the proper coaching.

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 19:17 - May 15 with 7060 viewsblackdogblue

Hold the press.. we have 14? Jordan Williams will be back from Lincoln in a few days when League 2 play offs... Jackpot, we have really missed him....

We should have a whip round & send him back to Barrow with a one way train ticket & a few quid in his pocket

[Post edited 15 May 2018 19:19]

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 22:04 - May 15 with 6756 viewsfitzochris

What have we got left and what do we need? on 19:17 - May 15 by blackdogblue

Hold the press.. we have 14? Jordan Williams will be back from Lincoln in a few days when League 2 play offs... Jackpot, we have really missed him....

We should have a whip round & send him back to Barrow with a one way train ticket & a few quid in his pocket

[Post edited 15 May 2018 19:19]

Let’s not be too harsh here. It’s easy to forget he made a transition of two divisions. Not every player can do that and hit the ground running.

The biggest surprise was the outlay. For Hill to risk that much money, he must have been sure of Williams’ ability, or potential ability.

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to come from him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

What have we got left and what do we need? on 22:07 - May 15 with 6740 viewsSuddenLad

What have we got left and what do we need? on 22:04 - May 15 by fitzochris

Let’s not be too harsh here. It’s easy to forget he made a transition of two divisions. Not every player can do that and hit the ground running.

The biggest surprise was the outlay. For Hill to risk that much money, he must have been sure of Williams’ ability, or potential ability.

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to come from him.

He described him immediately as one for the future and when he went on loan to Lincoln, he made it clear that he hadn't given up on him and would be glad to see him get some games,

As you say, the leap in divisions was a bit too much in one go. Time will tell, but I reckon barring a very decent offer from Lincoln, that he will be here next year......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

What have we got left and what do we need? on 09:44 - May 16 with 6300 viewsParkinsGimp

Just sign a couple of decent players who can perform at League One level, not cast offs from Conference or League Two who are not classed good enough for their clubs at that level.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 12:49 - May 16 with 6071 viewsboromat

Lillis - Moore - (Wade)

Rafferty - (McGahey) - McNulty - Delaney - Ntlhe - Done

Camps - Rathbone - Morley - Adshead - (Cannon)

Andrew - Henderson- Williams - (Thompson) - (Gilliam)

If we sign all of the players offered contracts then I'd like the following;

1) Depending on how much faith Hill wants to put in the youth players we need at least one very good central midfielder that can set the tempo and keep possession.
2) Two Strikers/Attackers that are capable of causing the opposition some problems. Some pace and some finishing required.
3) A defensive midfielder capable of filling in at RCB/CB.

And in that priority.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 13:21 - May 16 with 5990 viewsJimmyRustler

I think signing a proper LB could help us two-fold in that it strengthens in an area we need to and also frees up Done to play further up-field, effectively adding another attacker to the squad.

A midfielder has to be a priority though, preferably a Lund type box-to-box player who can also sit deep if need be and control the tempo of the game.

We obviously need a striker too but as we all know, they're not easy to acquire at this level and with us offering terms to MG, I get the feeling we may see more of him next year.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 13:22]
Login to get fewer ads

What have we got left and what do we need? on 13:44 - May 16 with 5929 viewsoff2div1

A big forward that can score more than 3 goals in the league.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:20 - May 16 with 5824 views1907

I’d like to see some experience come into the side. A bit of metal.

I’m not too bothered where abouts on the pitch that may be, but we need some steel to see us through games.

We need to add pace to the side drastically. Players that can turn a game on its head and destroy defences.

I would like to see us have more strength in depth so that we always have a multitude of fallback plans when things go wrong, as things have many times this season.

Bigger, better, faster, smarter & stronger in a nutshell.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 08:46 - May 17 with 5419 viewsaleanddale

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:20 - May 16 by 1907

I’d like to see some experience come into the side. A bit of metal.

I’m not too bothered where abouts on the pitch that may be, but we need some steel to see us through games.

We need to add pace to the side drastically. Players that can turn a game on its head and destroy defences.

I would like to see us have more strength in depth so that we always have a multitude of fallback plans when things go wrong, as things have many times this season.

Bigger, better, faster, smarter & stronger in a nutshell.

I agree 1907 especially about pace.

Easier said than done though as we are down the pecking order for first dibs.

Our budget ( low ) is what's makes it more special when we compete.

Hilly is a genius at doing it - fingers crossed he gets the next 2 months recruitment spot on.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 13:06 - May 17 with 5270 viewssweetcorn

Positions which are a must for me:

- Strong midfielder who can actually tackle
- A left back
- A striker to take some of the burden off Henderson.

We'll sign other positions as well I'm sure, but those 3 are crucial.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:21 - May 17 with 5118 viewsYadHoDale

What have we got left and what do we need? on 13:06 - May 17 by sweetcorn

Positions which are a must for me:

- Strong midfielder who can actually tackle
- A left back
- A striker to take some of the burden off Henderson.

We'll sign other positions as well I'm sure, but those 3 are crucial.

I agree with the first and last of those as the vital areas for recruitment - although not ideal, between Done, Ntlhe, Delaney and McNulty we can probably get by on the left of defence. Maybe see if Scot Tanser is sick of deep fried food yet...

For the midfielder, both Nicky Law and Timothee Dieng are out of contract at Bradford - decent, solid players. Someone like this would be ideal.

Up front, we could either look for a young loanee like Humphrys or Miller, or a tried and trusted, but maybe slightly over the hill, option like Dagnall or O'Grady. Or go wildcard with a broken toy type like Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

Difficult choices - will leave to Hill!
What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:29 - May 17 with 5104 viewsfitzochris

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:21 - May 17 by YadHoDale

I agree with the first and last of those as the vital areas for recruitment - although not ideal, between Done, Ntlhe, Delaney and McNulty we can probably get by on the left of defence. Maybe see if Scot Tanser is sick of deep fried food yet...

For the midfielder, both Nicky Law and Timothee Dieng are out of contract at Bradford - decent, solid players. Someone like this would be ideal.

Up front, we could either look for a young loanee like Humphrys or Miller, or a tried and trusted, but maybe slightly over the hill, option like Dagnall or O'Grady. Or go wildcard with a broken toy type like Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

Difficult choices - will leave to Hill!

Scott Tanser has signed a new contract with St Johnstone.

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:33 - May 17 with 5091 viewsYadHoDale

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:29 - May 17 by fitzochris

Scott Tanser has signed a new contract with St Johnstone.

Thanks - missed that one. Is the Craig Curran who scored for Ross last weekend the one who was briefly with Dale??
What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:46 - May 17 with 5048 viewsEllDale

Yep, the same player.
What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:53 - May 17 with 5035 viewsScunnydale

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:46 - May 17 by EllDale

Yep, the same player.

I've got very, very few memories of Craig Curran, but my mind sums up his time here as:

"Did little. Scored a screamer". Is that the chap?
What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:58 - May 17 with 5021 viewsEllDale

My only memory of the guy is of him missing an absolute sitter against Barnsley in the League Cup when they were down to ten men and had Bobby Hassell in goal.

I had him bracketed as another Coleman Scouse hanger-on but he reinvented himself in Scotland
What have we got left and what do we need? on 17:31 - May 17 with 4949 viewsfitzochris

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:58 - May 17 by EllDale

My only memory of the guy is of him missing an absolute sitter against Barnsley in the League Cup when they were down to ten men and had Bobby Hassell in goal.

I had him bracketed as another Coleman Scouse hanger-on but he reinvented himself in Scotland

I wouldn't say he’s reinvented himself. He’s still a one-goal-in-four-games striker.
[Post edited 17 May 2018 18:44]

What have we got left and what do we need? on 17:01 - May 21 with 4576 viewsDaleiLama

Not going to be much gets past this fella in the air?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 23:06 - May 21 with 4358 viewsThacks_Rabbits

What have we got left and what do we need? on 17:01 - May 21 by DaleiLama

Not going to be much gets past this fella in the air?

Best we don’t talk about it

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

What have we got left and what do we need? on 06:42 - May 22 with 4232 viewsBigDaveMyCock

What have we got left and what do we need? on 16:53 - May 17 by Scunnydale

I've got very, very few memories of Craig Curran, but my mind sums up his time here as:

"Did little. Scored a screamer". Is that the chap?

Unless he scored in a friendly, I don’t think so. Don’t think he ever scored a first team goal. Are you not thinking of that little ex Liverpool (quelle surprise) youth winger we had on trial at the same time who’d suffered a number of injuries prior to joining? Scored a good goal in the JPT, got injured and was never seen again. Can’t for the life of me remember his name.
Curran was up there with Craney for impact, they had absolutely none.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 07:07 - May 22 with 4212 viewsfitzochris

What have we got left and what do we need? on 06:42 - May 22 by BigDaveMyCock

Unless he scored in a friendly, I don’t think so. Don’t think he ever scored a first team goal. Are you not thinking of that little ex Liverpool (quelle surprise) youth winger we had on trial at the same time who’d suffered a number of injuries prior to joining? Scored a good goal in the JPT, got injured and was never seen again. Can’t for the life of me remember his name.

Six games, no goals, no impact. It was that annoying period at the start of the League Two campaign when Coleman was effectively trialling all his old acquaintances.

The state Craney was in during that period really does put the current Davies fitness debate into perspective.

What have we got left and what do we need? on 07:09 - May 22 with 4211 viewsTVOS1907

What have we got left and what do we need? on 06:42 - May 22 by BigDaveMyCock

Ray Putterill.

All Curran did was get sent-off against bury in the JPT for diving in on their keeper at the Sandy..

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

What have we got left and what do we need? on 07:22 - May 22 with 4194 viewsScunnydale

What have we got left and what do we need? on 07:09 - May 22 by TVOS1907

Ray Putterill.

All Curran did was get sent-off against bury in the JPT for diving in on their keeper at the Sandy..

That's the lad (I think)! I was getting my Scousers mixed up. Easy to do during that period.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024