Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test 16:31 - May 24 with 5351 viewsaleanddale

England won the toss and elected to bat.... Mmmmmm.

180-8

Terrible start.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 16:45 - May 24 with 3967 viewsD_Alien

...all out

Shambles, as usual

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 17:24 - May 24 with 3921 viewsaleanddale

it was....

I am amazed we batted after winning the toss....

when I heard we were struggling earlier I assumes Pakistan has stuck us in.

I have not seen the lowlights yet but lords with cloud cover is notoriously difficult to bat in that first hour / morning session.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 06:55 - May 25 with 3792 viewsNigeriamark

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 17:24 - May 24 by aleanddale

it was....

I have not seen the lowlights yet but lords with cloud cover is notoriously difficult to bat in that first hour / morning session.

Didn't see or hear any of it because I was travelling, but seems to be the same old problem of concentration and application to the longer format. Sometimes you cant go at at at 3 or 4 an over when it favours the bowler, we arn't good enough to knock them out of the game. occasionally you have to grind out a session

Their batting isn't great so this first session is crucial otherwise it's going to be tough

On another note ABdV retires from all international cricket. Bit of a surprise he didn't stick with the shorter format until the world cup. However one of those players you would certainly pay good money for to watch at his peak. Average of over 50 in both forms of the game and fastest ever 1 day 50 ( 31 balls)
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 08:11 - May 25 with 3776 viewsD_Alien

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 06:55 - May 25 by Nigeriamark

Didn't see or hear any of it because I was travelling, but seems to be the same old problem of concentration and application to the longer format. Sometimes you cant go at at at 3 or 4 an over when it favours the bowler, we arn't good enough to knock them out of the game. occasionally you have to grind out a session

Their batting isn't great so this first session is crucial otherwise it's going to be tough

On another note ABdV retires from all international cricket. Bit of a surprise he didn't stick with the shorter format until the world cup. However one of those players you would certainly pay good money for to watch at his peak. Average of over 50 in both forms of the game and fastest ever 1 day 50 ( 31 balls)

AB holds the record for the fastest ODI 50, 100 & 150, at 16, 31 & 64 balls respectively

With a test average of 53.5 as well, he's an all-time great but somehow doesn't seem to have generated as much publicity as others with lesser claims - good to see you mention him, Mark

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 19:01 - May 25 with 3652 viewsNigeriamark

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 17:24 - May 24 by aleanddale

it was....

Game all but gone now barring 1 or 2 amazing partnerships tomorrow/Sunday. England very rarely lose hone matches in May as conditions really favour us early season so doesn't bode well .

We need to get a grip this summer or else we will end up ranked 7th or 8th in the 5 day rankings ( currently 5th with Pakistan 7th i think)
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 11:46 - May 26 with 3553 viewsaleanddale

Outplayed in 6 of the 6 sessions.

We look so under prepared. Pakistan superior in all departments.

Roots captaincy leaving a lot to be desired - negative and uninspiring.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:14 - May 26 with 3539 viewsD_Alien

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 11:46 - May 26 by aleanddale

Outplayed in 6 of the 6 sessions.

We look so under prepared. Pakistan superior in all departments.

Roots captaincy leaving a lot to be desired - negative and uninspiring.

Talking about being underprepared - it's one thing for our touring teams to start test series abroad with woeful time in the middle against XI's cobbled together by the vested interests of the host nation, and another altogether for our home tests to be starting with less red-ball cricket by our lads than the tourists! Pakistan have been playing consistently over here for several weeks, including a competitive initial test against Ireland. Many of our lads have been blasting away in T20s in hot conditions, and the results are there for all to see

It's not a matter of talent (perhaps the leadership has become an issue, as you point out) but one of management. The sooner Bayliss goes the better

[Post edited 26 May 2018 12:28]

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:33 - May 26 with 3512 viewsisitme

We need separate coaches. One for test matches and one for limited overs.

I think we also need to realise that we just don't have the quality of players for test match cricket anymore. I dread the day Anderson and Broad retire.

At the moment we are crying out for an opener and at least one and probably two middle order batters. We Cook retires we will need to blood another opener. I would identify a couple of young players such as Joe Clarke and give them a prolonged run. The same with the bowling. Who are your three young seamers and give them some game time to develop. Wood is too injury prone. Somebody like Tongue and Sam Curran should be given an opportunity. A problem with the young seamers with pace like Helm, Garton and Mahmood is that they have been injury prone.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 12:41]
Login to get fewer ads

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 15:28 - May 26 with 3446 viewsSandyman

110-6. Absolutely dire. Now lost 8 sessions of 8. Could be finished in 3 days with an innings defeat!!
Credit to Pakistan for playing test cricket properly.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 20:37 - May 26 with 3369 viewsDaley_Lama

8-1 in sessions now.

Make it 8-3 and you never know in the crazy world of test cricket.

Poll: DF in or out

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 11:50 - May 27 with 3255 viewsdownunder

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 20:37 - May 26 by Daley_Lama

8-1 in sessions now.

Make it 8-3 and you never know in the crazy world of test cricket.

Or make it 9-1
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:39 - May 27 with 3194 viewsNigeriamark

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 11:50 - May 27 by downunder

Or make it 9-1

an absolute battering over 3 and a bit days

Lost 4 wickets for 7 runs this morning - sums us up at the red ball game. Lose the next one and I assume we will be close to 6th or 7th in the test rankings
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 22:17 - May 27 with 3064 viewsSandyman

Pakistan were professional, well prepared and determined. England were lazy and lightweight. Not how we beat the cheats / convicts, South Africa and India on home turf in recent years. That's down to the backroom staff, who can produce a one-day side that is favourite to win the next World Cup but not a test team? Go figure? Time to split the management into red ball / white ball groups ?
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 23:15 - May 27 with 3022 viewsDaley_Lama

Our batting line up career test averages.

Cook - unquestionable
Stoneman 28
Root - unquestionable
Malan - 29
Bairstow - 38
Stokes - 34
Buttler - 32

All 5 with numbers indicated all have top order averages below what is expected and they all have double figure trst matches under their belts.

Add to this that Broad is a walking duck, Jimmy has lost the will to be the burnley wall and we have a batting line up that opposition bowlers genuinely relish bowing against.

People can cite preparation but aside from Stokes and Buttler i think the rest have been playing county cricket this year.

I think its more about ability right now.

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 06:41 - May 28 with 2946 viewsD_Alien

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 23:15 - May 27 by Daley_Lama

Our batting line up career test averages.

Cook - unquestionable
Stoneman 28
Root - unquestionable
Malan - 29
Bairstow - 38
Stokes - 34
Buttler - 32

All 5 with numbers indicated all have top order averages below what is expected and they all have double figure trst matches under their belts.

Add to this that Broad is a walking duck, Jimmy has lost the will to be the burnley wall and we have a batting line up that opposition bowlers genuinely relish bowing against.

People can cite preparation but aside from Stokes and Buttler i think the rest have been playing county cricket this year.

I think its more about ability right now.

I do cite preparation, rather than ability

But preparation includes the right mental tuning for test match cricket. Given better focus, all those players with the exception of Stoneman have demonstrable ability to influence test matches. Buttler at no.7 is more experimental of course, but nothing wrong with that. Above all, it's about consistency

Malan's average is largely derived from the tour down under, where he was one of our better batsmen but obviously in conditions that would test anyone. So he returns home to a half-baked county cricket programme almost designed to marginalise the longer form of international cricket, in early season conditions which heavily favour average county bowlers. Pakistan have had focused training camps, a test match and imo superior management. Their batting has previously been notoriously brittle, more so even than England's

Our middle order is now suffering from being under too much pressure due to failures in the top 3 positions, for about 2/3 years now. There's nothing ability-wise that wouldn't be sorted by our top 3, two of whom are "unquestionable" - putting decent starts together to build a platform

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 08:20 - May 28 with 2901 viewsDaley_Lama

Malan’s average is indeed affected by the tour of Aus, it bumps it up. Aside from Australia he has played 9 teats at an average of 20. His average in all home test matches is 20 too. Perhaps bot playing any prep home cricket is the answer for him.

Agree that mental prep is a big factor. Prime candidate for that is Stokes but he has been throwing his wicket away since he entered test cricket. His decidion making is not the best.

The unquestionable was regarding their average, not their position.Agree that Cook in particular has been poor over the last couple of years.

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 08:50 - May 28 with 2883 viewsscarrow

Loyalty to stoneman in particular seems strange, he's looked consistently out of his depth.

Poll: Final position

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 09:19 - May 28 with 2857 viewsD_Alien

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 08:20 - May 28 by Daley_Lama

Malan’s average is indeed affected by the tour of Aus, it bumps it up. Aside from Australia he has played 9 teats at an average of 20. His average in all home test matches is 20 too. Perhaps bot playing any prep home cricket is the answer for him.

Agree that mental prep is a big factor. Prime candidate for that is Stokes but he has been throwing his wicket away since he entered test cricket. His decidion making is not the best.

The unquestionable was regarding their average, not their position.Agree that Cook in particular has been poor over the last couple of years.

No wonder Malan can't focus if he's been playing with 9 teats (avg. age 20)

Good point about his Aussie average, though it does rather re-inforce mine about his ability

One test gone, another to follow quickly. Let's see whether things look so dismal after that. It was Boycs, in his post-match summary on the tv highlights, who made the point about questioning ability. Perhaps he might be more consistent in his comments too, very much up and down depending on the latest performance

Bring on the next opening rabbit!

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 10:14 - Jun 1 with 2613 viewsisitme

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:33 - May 26 by isitme

We need separate coaches. One for test matches and one for limited overs.

I think we also need to realise that we just don't have the quality of players for test match cricket anymore. I dread the day Anderson and Broad retire.

At the moment we are crying out for an opener and at least one and probably two middle order batters. We Cook retires we will need to blood another opener. I would identify a couple of young players such as Joe Clarke and give them a prolonged run. The same with the bowling. Who are your three young seamers and give them some game time to develop. Wood is too injury prone. Somebody like Tongue and Sam Curran should be given an opportunity. A problem with the young seamers with pace like Helm, Garton and Mahmood is that they have been injury prone.
[Post edited 26 May 2018 12:41]

It appears that Curran is going to be given his chance, same it is with Stokes being out. Hopefully a better match as I am going tomorrow, as I suspect other posters on this board will be as well.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:17 - Jun 2 with 2510 viewsD_Alien

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 10:14 - Jun 1 by isitme

It appears that Curran is going to be given his chance, same it is with Stokes being out. Hopefully a better match as I am going tomorrow, as I suspect other posters on this board will be as well.

Looking like a washout today

In terms of sessions so far, 3-0 to the Engerland

Enjoying the spat between Broad & Vaughan

I'm with Vaughan - it shouldn't take criticism to motivate highly experienced and well-paid internationals
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 12:20]

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:28 - Jun 2 with 2481 viewsisitme

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:17 - Jun 2 by D_Alien

Looking like a washout today

In terms of sessions so far, 3-0 to the Engerland

Enjoying the spat between Broad & Vaughan

I'm with Vaughan - it shouldn't take criticism to motivate highly experienced and well-paid internationals
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 12:20]

Looking like a wasted trip so far. If it stops it will probably take an hour to sort the covers out and as there is no real wind the outfield will probably still be too wet to play. The risks you take with test match tickets!
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:13 - Jun 2 with 2435 views100notout

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 12:28 - Jun 2 by isitme

Looking like a wasted trip so far. If it stops it will probably take an hour to sort the covers out and as there is no real wind the outfield will probably still be too wet to play. The risks you take with test match tickets!

Do you get a refund if there is no/ minimal play?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:21 - Jun 2 with 2421 viewsisitme

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:13 - Jun 2 by 100notout

Do you get a refund if there is no/ minimal play?

You can claim a full refund if less than 20 overs have been bowled although the early bird ticket price was only £20. It is more the disappointment of not seeing any play and travelling for nothing.
England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:32 - Jun 2 with 2412 views100notout

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:21 - Jun 2 by isitme

You can claim a full refund if less than 20 overs have been bowled although the early bird ticket price was only £20. It is more the disappointment of not seeing any play and travelling for nothing.

Aye - can imagine - hope the weather improves for you.

edit pitch inspection at 1.50
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 13:34]

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:51 - Jun 2 with 2392 viewsAtThePeake

England v Pakistan - Lords - 1st test on 13:21 - Jun 2 by isitme

Could be worse... I travelled to New Zealand and England were all out in 65 minutes!

Hope it clears up this afternoon and you see some play. Went yesterday and had a cracking day, might head over again on Monday if I can.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024