Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Random pub question for the older guys... 23:49 - Jun 21 with 5173 viewsAlexF

As a youngster, in summer, I used to go to a pub on Ashworth Road - the road that links Heywood with Owd Betts - pub was just above School Lane IIRC. Its long gone, but anyone remember the pub name?
Random pub question for the older guys... on 00:14 - Jun 22 with 5149 viewskel

Egerton Arms
Random pub question for the older guys... on 05:32 - Jun 22 with 5088 viewsAlexF

Brill thanks, I’m surprised to find it lasted into this century, I assumed it would have gone earlier.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 07:16 - Jun 22 with 5037 viewsbrady

It was a good restraunt as well as a very good pub. Worth the drive there. Well run by the Leyden family for many years.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 07:52 - Jun 22 with 4993 viewsBillyRudd

Fond memories of the Egerton but anyone local to the area would have called it the "Chapel House". Celebrated for its "Chicken in a basket", For many years there was an advertising sign for it at the Edenfield Rd junction of Ashworth Rd.
I remember being there one Christmas day lunchtime (late Seventies) and after the sermon in the Chapel the congregation poured in and there was an impromptu A Cappella session of Christmas carols. Its a memory thats stuck with me.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:33 - Jun 22 with 4939 viewsD_Alien

Some good memories of the Egerton too

Places like that are few and far between these days. The nearest equivalent still going is the Church Inn at Birtle (or Bircle, as the locals call it)

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:35 - Jun 22 with 4935 viewskel

Random pub question for the older guys... on 05:32 - Jun 22 by AlexF

Brill thanks, I’m surprised to find it lasted into this century, I assumed it would have gone earlier.

My cousin was a chef there for a period which is why it stuck in my mind. I’m hopefully not classed as one of the older lot yet
Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:38 - Jun 22 with 4928 viewsD_Alien

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:35 - Jun 22 by kel

My cousin was a chef there for a period which is why it stuck in my mind. I’m hopefully not classed as one of the older lot yet

Sorry, marked down by Friday morning fingers

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:40 - Jun 22 with 4923 viewskel

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:38 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

Sorry, marked down by Friday morning fingers

Meh!
Login to get fewer ads

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:43 - Jun 22 with 4916 viewsD_Alien

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:40 - Jun 22 by kel

Meh!

Marked down on purpose

Edit: shit, now it's cancelled itself

Just forget I exist
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 8:46]

Random pub question for the older guys... on 09:05 - Jun 22 with 4878 viewsSuddenLad

Ron atkinson was a regular in the Egerton Arms for many years. Saw him there on lts of occasions having a meal with Maggie. He lived on Jowkin Lane at Bamford at the time.........during his managerial stint at Old Trafford.

It was a great place to eat, but very difficult to get to without your own transport.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Random pub question for the older guys... on 10:43 - Jun 22 with 4790 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Random pub question for the older guys... on 08:33 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

Some good memories of the Egerton too

Places like that are few and far between these days. The nearest equivalent still going is the Church Inn at Birtle (or Bircle, as the locals call it)

Hey, don't forget the Normandie Restaurant at the top of Birtle........really good food served up by the French, Champeau family..........(don't send your food back or you are barred!)

Now turned into very expensive flats.....sad to see these great social places disappear.

Different drinking habits and driving rules I guess?

[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 10:52]
Random pub question for the older guys... on 12:18 - Jun 22 with 4695 viewsrobtheb

Random pub question for the older guys... on 07:52 - Jun 22 by BillyRudd

Fond memories of the Egerton but anyone local to the area would have called it the "Chapel House". Celebrated for its "Chicken in a basket", For many years there was an advertising sign for it at the Edenfield Rd junction of Ashworth Rd.
I remember being there one Christmas day lunchtime (late Seventies) and after the sermon in the Chapel the congregation poured in and there was an impromptu A Cappella session of Christmas carols. Its a memory thats stuck with me.

That would have been the "Ashworthites" a local singing group who met at the Chapel House.
They would always go to the church service on Christmas Day then into the pub for refreshments!

Did a lot of charity work.

Those of you who live round Brotherhood will relate to the Horton family, brothers Harold, David, Bill and Joe (stage name Nick Wayne for his country and western act) were all in the Ashworthites.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 12:36 - Jun 22 with 4671 viewsEllDale

I think that the building housing the Normandie was badly damaged in the floods a couple of years ago and was converted in apartments then.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 14:52 - Jun 22 with 4569 views49thseason

There used to be a "blower" Bentley in the front entrance to the Edgerton Arms when I first went there. Chicken in a Basket was consumed by a gang of us on my 18th birthday, the chef nearly fell over when I told him I wanted 20!
I also recall there was a field of horses near the car park and my mate, Paul Headland, getting bitten on the chest by one of them as he tried to feed it a Polo mint, he had a set of massive teeth marks around his right nipple for about 3 weeks! Happy Days indeed.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 15:39 - Jun 22 with 4534 viewsBillyRudd

Random pub question for the older guys... on 12:18 - Jun 22 by robtheb

That would have been the "Ashworthites" a local singing group who met at the Chapel House.
They would always go to the church service on Christmas Day then into the pub for refreshments!

Did a lot of charity work.

Those of you who live round Brotherhood will relate to the Horton family, brothers Harold, David, Bill and Joe (stage name Nick Wayne for his country and western act) were all in the Ashworthites.

Thanks for the info Rob.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 18:03 - Jun 22 with 4443 viewsDalenet

Random pub question for the older guys... on 07:52 - Jun 22 by BillyRudd

I am sure I had my first scampi in a basket there as a teenager.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 18:06 - Jun 22 with 4439 viewselectricblue

Had many a nice meal in the normandy and also worked on the Resturant aswell doing a tad of painting.

Try having a few in the Church Inn and then find your way to the pack horse or vice versa.....
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 18:09]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Random pub question for the older guys... on 18:34 - Jun 22 with 4407 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Random pub question for the older guys... on 18:06 - Jun 22 by electricblue

Had many a nice meal in the normandy and also worked on the Resturant aswell doing a tad of painting.

Try having a few in the Church Inn and then find your way to the pack horse or vice versa.....
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 18:09]

Frequented the Pack many years ago before it had the extension added......again, a really good pub.

Talking of food again, The Pavilion which is about 200 yards further down the lane from the Pack on the right, is a good if slightly pricey Bistro Pub. Good parking and friendly staff. Well worth a visit.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 23:19 - Jun 22 with 4275 viewsDiddyDave

Random pub question for the older guys... on 18:03 - Jun 22 by Dalenet

I am sure I had my first scampi in a basket there as a teenager.

I think you`re right,wasn`t the scampi thing only on a Sunday lunch or summat? Must be getting on for fifty years ago now.
Random pub question for the older guys... on 05:06 - Jun 23 with 4214 viewselectricblue

Club sarndwiches in the church inn where rather nice i seem to remember...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Random pub question for the older guys... on 07:17 - Jun 23 with 4182 viewsAlexF

Thanks for the info guys, Chapel House was the name i was trying to remember. Spent some good evenings in the Pack Horse too, great memories.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024