Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread 12:47 - Jun 24 with 5196 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Just to say Good Luck England and please don't let us down.

Match thread on 15:12 - Jun 24 with 2327 viewsNigeriamark

Match thread on 14:56 - Jun 24 by Shun

That’s good. So the perumatations for next week:

Win: top the group
Lose: finish 2nd
Draw and get the same number of cards or fewer than Belgium: top the group
Draw and get two more cards than Belgium: finish 2nd
Draw and get one more card than Belgium: toss a coin?!

Be interesting to see how that affects tactics. Do Belgium go for the win from the off, or try to draw some yellow cards in the first half? Do we worry about leaving our foot in there or tackling 100% in the first half ?

I think both teams will fancy that they can outscore the other so hopefully one of them will win rather han yellow cards deciding it
Match thread on 15:15 - Jun 24 with 2322 views100notout

Match thread on 15:12 - Jun 24 by Nigeriamark

Be interesting to see how that affects tactics. Do Belgium go for the win from the off, or try to draw some yellow cards in the first half? Do we worry about leaving our foot in there or tackling 100% in the first half ?

I think both teams will fancy that they can outscore the other so hopefully one of them will win rather han yellow cards deciding it

More importantly -I think we'll already know who we play depending on where we finish - that might affect tactics

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match thread on 15:20 - Jun 24 with 2309 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 15:15 - Jun 24 by 100notout

More importantly -I think we'll already know who we play depending on where we finish - that might affect tactics

Good point (all good points prior to this)

But, if we "preferred" to play the team that finishes second in Group H, surely we can't play to not win?

The Belgium game will tell us a lot more about our team than the first two games put together - bring it on!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread on 16:51 - Jun 24 with 2221 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread on 15:20 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

But, if we "preferred" to play the team that finishes second in Group H, surely we can't play to not win?

The Belgium game will tell us a lot more about our team than the first two games put together - bring it on!

I'm not sure it will tell as much as we have both qualified - they will rest players and will try to preserve energy as will England. The top team plays Monday and the team finishing 2nd has an extra days rest playing Tuesday night. Personally I wouldn't mind finishing 2nd meaning Mexico in the quarters potentially and not Brazil or Germany .Even if Brazil or Germany haven't looked amazing and Mexico have been superb - come the quarter finals I'd fear Brazil or Germany more. What will be will be!
[Post edited 24 Jun 2018 22:34]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread on 20:15 - Jun 24 with 2116 viewsDevonDale

I agree - Belgium are in a totally different class than our first two opponents, and I for one won’t be putting any money on an England win.
Match thread on 22:21 - Jun 24 with 1986 viewsrochdaleriddler

Not sure about that, depends on selection

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread on 02:59 - Jun 25 with 1888 viewsdownunder

Match thread on 14:43 - Jun 24 by D_Alien

Just said on commentary, England winning 2-3!

Do we get the same commentator here in NZ as you? Called Panama "Tunisia" at least twice, and there were a couple of other gaffs as I recall. Did he say Panama have only won once recently, when they beat Panama.
Went to bed at half time. After watching "State of Origin" just before, I was totally pi##ed off with them rolling about after every tackle.
PS, the remote was in action a lot, with Cricket on as well. .
PPS Well done Ireland as well.
Match thread on 07:04 - Jun 25 with 1826 viewsDiddyDave

Apologies if this has already been mentioned,but if Belgium and England draw,how do they work out who comes first and who comes second in Group G as points and goal differences will be identical?
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread on 07:14 - Jun 25 with 1815 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 07:04 - Jun 25 by DiddyDave

Apologies if this has already been mentioned,but if Belgium and England draw,how do they work out who comes first and who comes second in Group G as points and goal differences will be identical?

Read earlier posts on this thread

Match thread on 08:10 - Jun 25 with 1767 viewsmingthemerciless

I wouldn't fancy taking on Columbia after watching last nights game. They're full of running and a lot more mobile than our lot.
Match thread on 09:12 - Jun 25 with 1719 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 08:10 - Jun 25 by mingthemerciless

I wouldn't fancy taking on Columbia after watching last nights game. They're full of running and a lot more mobile than our lot.

They are precisely the type of team that would end us, I reckon.

For all our brilliance going forward, our defence still looks shaky and unsure. Both Panama and Tunisia have managed to show that during certain phases of play.

The Colombian attack, which seems to excel at getting in behind the last man at speed, would be a nightmare to cope with.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread on 09:54 - Jun 25 with 1670 viewsdingdangblue

At the end of the day we could lose to anyone in the last 16 or quarter finals - that's football and we are an in experienced team. We will however cause massive problems to any team we face - we have pace and speed and we have looked unplayable at times from set pieces. And in Harry Kane we have possibly the best finisher in the world - 5 shots and 5 goals in 2 games. I wouldn't be too critical about our defence as every team I have watched have had their defensive lapses. Our defence is certainly no worse than Brazil and Germany who are both potential winners of the tournament! Even Belgium let in 2 against Tunisia.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Match thread on 10:25 - Jun 25 with 1634 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 09:54 - Jun 25 by dingdangblue

At the end of the day we could lose to anyone in the last 16 or quarter finals - that's football and we are an in experienced team. We will however cause massive problems to any team we face - we have pace and speed and we have looked unplayable at times from set pieces. And in Harry Kane we have possibly the best finisher in the world - 5 shots and 5 goals in 2 games. I wouldn't be too critical about our defence as every team I have watched have had their defensive lapses. Our defence is certainly no worse than Brazil and Germany who are both potential winners of the tournament! Even Belgium let in 2 against Tunisia.

Yeah no worries, we’ll ignore any critical analysis because it’s England.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread on 10:53 - Jun 25 with 1604 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 09:12 - Jun 25 by fitzochris

They are precisely the type of team that would end us, I reckon.

For all our brilliance going forward, our defence still looks shaky and unsure. Both Panama and Tunisia have managed to show that during certain phases of play.

The Colombian attack, which seems to excel at getting in behind the last man at speed, would be a nightmare to cope with.

That's pretty much what I was referring to with the "atrocious passing" comment. Our defence passed the ball directly to the opposition in dangerous areas more than once early on; against skilful forwards we could easily have been 0-2 down before breaking sweat

The good thing is Southgate seems to recognise this in his post-match comments, but how he can change it without dropping Maguire (not the only culprit, but the one future opposition will be targeting) I don't know

[Post edited 25 Jun 2018 10:55]

Match thread on 11:16 - Jun 25 with 1573 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread on 10:25 - Jun 25 by fitzochris

Yeah no worries, we’ll ignore any critical analysis because it’s England.

Exactly! No worries at all - we are hardly going to go all the way so just enjoy us scoring some goals for once in a tournament and looking decent going forward. Looking forward to the Belgium game with not much pressure on either team to win - it should be a cracker.

Match thread on 11:41 - Jun 25 with 1535 views100notout

Match thread on 11:16 - Jun 25 by dingdangblue

Exactly! No worries at all - we are hardly going to go all the way so just enjoy us scoring some goals for once in a tournament and looking decent going forward. Looking forward to the Belgium game with not much pressure on either team to win - it should be a cracker.

This.

Just enjoy the ride - what will be will be

Match thread on 12:24 - Jun 25 with 1491 viewsmingthemerciless

We've created havoc against two teams that had absolutely no idea how to defend against corners. The better teams aren't that naive and they'll have seen the danger. We'll be a threat because Trippiers delivery is so good but I don't expect to be having that much joy from now on.

Our passing can be sloppy from the back and we lose possession in dangerous areas too often, better teams will take advantage of that. All of the centre backs have a mistake in them and Henderson isn't the " Makele " type of destroyer the team needs.
Match thread on 13:12 - Jun 25 with 1409 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 12:24 - Jun 25 by mingthemerciless

We've created havoc against two teams that had absolutely no idea how to defend against corners. The better teams aren't that naive and they'll have seen the danger. We'll be a threat because Trippiers delivery is so good but I don't expect to be having that much joy from now on.

Our passing can be sloppy from the back and we lose possession in dangerous areas too often, better teams will take advantage of that. All of the centre backs have a mistake in them and Henderson isn't the " Makele " type of destroyer the team needs.

This is where the real test of Southgate's mettle comes in - and he's on a huge learning curve too

Will he be strong enough to change it - early enough - if we find ourselves on the wrong end of it due to what you, Fitz & myself have referred to?

N.B. for those who suggest we just "enjoy it" - and despite my protestations yesterday, which were mainly to do with needing to finish top of the group so I get to watch the R16 fixture - let me say this:

Part and parcel of enjoying football at any level is about having a good discussion on relative strengths and weaknesses. The sun's shining, England are doing well, let's hope they can do even better!

Match thread on 13:16 - Jun 25 with 1399 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Germany’s defence will likely improve with the suspension of Boateng who has been woeful in the first two games. Far worse than any England defender.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Match thread on 14:00 - Jun 25 with 1332 viewsjudd

Match thread on 13:16 - Jun 25 by BigDaveMyCock

Germany’s defence will likely improve with the suspension of Boateng who has been woeful in the first two games. Far worse than any England defender.

That was an unfair advantage for Germany when Boateng was sent off.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread on 14:12 - Jun 25 with 1314 views100notout

Match thread on 13:12 - Jun 25 by D_Alien

This is where the real test of Southgate's mettle comes in - and he's on a huge learning curve too

Will he be strong enough to change it - early enough - if we find ourselves on the wrong end of it due to what you, Fitz & myself have referred to?

N.B. for those who suggest we just "enjoy it" - and despite my protestations yesterday, which were mainly to do with needing to finish top of the group so I get to watch the R16 fixture - let me say this:

Part and parcel of enjoying football at any level is about having a good discussion on relative strengths and weaknesses. The sun's shining, England are doing well, let's hope they can do even better!

Sounds like you're enjoying it

Match thread on 15:08 - Jun 25 with 1264 viewsdingdangblue

It's hard to explain FIFA logic at the best of times but looking at the final set of games you would have thought each group would conclude in order (Group A, Group B, Group C and so on)?
For some reason today and tomorrow it does work like that: Group A 3pm,Group B 7pm,Group C 3pm,Group D 7pm. Then Wednesday and Thursday Group F plays before Group E and Group H plays before England's Group G?
Not quite sure the reason's behind it but it means England and Belgium will know who they potentially face in the 2nd round depending on 1st and 2nd in our group. I would imagine both would rather Senegal or Japan over Columbia?

Match thread on 15:54 - Jun 25 with 1222 viewsmingthemerciless

Japan first please, then Senegal then Columbia last. We looked a bit sluggish at times yesterday but the climate didn't encourage a high work rate. Playing in the evening is much more conducive to a Columbia type running, high intensity game.
Match thread on 17:22 - Jun 25 with 1159 viewsdingdangblue

Uruguay finish top of group A with Russia runners up. Likely last 16 ties : Uruguay v Portugal, Russia v Spain.
Uruguay not conceded a goal yet.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024