Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker anyone?! 09:44 - Aug 14 with 9254 viewsNDGN82

Is it me or do we have a phobia of investing in a decent striker/goalscorer?

For me, it’s ok blaming defensive mistakes but we never really looked like scoring other than the penalty. We need someone ruthless/selfish in the penalty area that doesn’t mind putting his neck on the line to get his name on the scoresheet.

Hendo is more creative/clever and will grab a few goals but he’s not a poacher.

Can’t remember the last time I got excited about signing a striker since we paid £150k for Paul Connor. Surely we could invest in someone like this that can’t quite get in a Championship team or someone from lower leagues that knows where the back of the net is. At the end of the day, it would be an investment - potentially more gate receipts/fans through the door, merchandise sales, higher prize money if we finish higher in the league, and then the potential to sell on!
Striker anyone?! on 12:38 - Aug 14 with 2979 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 12:24 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

Peterborough wasn't a bad day at the office, though. We actually played well for the most part.

Dembele's crosses from the left caused problems we still haven't learned to deal with and we offered little up front, but our general retention and moving of the ball was fine.

It's tweaks we're talking about rater than an overhaul and, as 442 says, we still have the opportunity to play Henderson in more advanced role than he is currently.

I did acknowledge that and should have been more clear that it was a bad day at the office for Oxford and more "bad result at the office" for Posh, as most reports I read said we played at least acceptably well and even very well in parts (with only 1 goal to show for it and conceding 4). Perhaps not dissimilar to Spurs at Wembley in terms of playing well (especially first half), lots of effort but little to show for it in the final scoreline?

Your comment about Dembele just reinforces my suspicions about the need for a winger though. Early days and let's hope Hendo does play up top in his next game?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Striker anyone?! on 12:46 - Aug 14 with 2960 viewssweetcorn

Striker anyone?! on 12:19 - Aug 14 by EllDale

It does seem to be a while since we uncovered a Holt, a Lambert, a Murray or even a Le Fondre.

Anthony Elding was heralded as a marquee signing but never really impressed and Shaw and Muldoon, as previously mentioned, floundered for one reason or another.

Did you fall asleep for 2 years when we signed Hogan?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Striker anyone?! on 13:09 - Aug 14 with 2898 viewsdingdangblue

Striker anyone?! on 12:13 - Aug 14 by rochdaleriddler

Maybe, I’d love to know how much we are paying Perkins and wilbraham though, I bet that would cover a ‘proven’ striker at this level. That’s not a dig at their ages, just I believe a substantial amount of money was found to pay them

Perkins looks a great signing just going off Saturday - Wilbraham? I'm not writing him off after 1 game - he was involved in both goals at Burton remember. Both will most probably be our top earners but it will be nowhere near what either was on at Wigan and Bolton.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Striker anyone?! on 13:21 - Aug 14 with 2879 viewsdingdangblue

Striker anyone?! on 12:17 - Aug 14 by DaleiLama

Absolutely. No shame in that. We conceded 4 to Oxford at home not so long ago, during a bad day at the office, which came at the end of a 10 game winning streak. It happens even when you play well (which it sounds like we did vs Posh).

I am personally nowhere near the panic button, and we survived last season with a weaker squad than we appear to have this year.

The key to Hilly's good runs have been goals though. He commented that he thought this squad had a lot in it. I'm firmly in the "wait and see" and "46 game season" camp. I hope he's right and as 442 points out (and I alluded to), the way we play and who plays where makes a huge contribution to that.

The timing of Peterborough's 3rd goal was monumental on Saturday. It was an even contest till then and we could easily have gone in 2-2 had Done not miss kicked a decent chance just before. Even then Peterborough's goal had more than a hint of good fortune with McGahey being penalised for the foul on Dembele that looked like he'd just out muscled him in usual McGahey fashion - the one where he runs alongside the opposition player and leans him away from the ball - Dembele collapsed in a heap and the ref fell for it - although any moaning about decisions probably seems daft the way Raff behaved for our penalty!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Striker anyone?! on 14:40 - Aug 14 with 2776 viewsSalwaDale

This might just be my eyes deceiving me but I thought we played a slightly different formation v Peterborough than v Burton. At Burton I thought Hendo and Alby were upfront, with Inman behind and going pretty much wherever he liked. Rafferty and Done seemed to bomb on a lot first half. Against Posh it looked more like Wilbraham started up front with Hendo one side and Inman the other. I'm no football expert but it looked there was less space infront of our wingbacks.

Wonder what we'll see tonight. Personally I'd quite like to see Cannon at RWB today, Rafferty looked like he dived for the penalty and then again for their first goal (with accompanying scream on that one).

To me we do look much better than last season. Having said that, I didn't actually see us last season.

TBBT

Striker anyone?! on 14:45 - Aug 14 with 2762 views442Dale

Striker anyone?! on 14:40 - Aug 14 by SalwaDale

This might just be my eyes deceiving me but I thought we played a slightly different formation v Peterborough than v Burton. At Burton I thought Hendo and Alby were upfront, with Inman behind and going pretty much wherever he liked. Rafferty and Done seemed to bomb on a lot first half. Against Posh it looked more like Wilbraham started up front with Hendo one side and Inman the other. I'm no football expert but it looked there was less space infront of our wingbacks.

Wonder what we'll see tonight. Personally I'd quite like to see Cannon at RWB today, Rafferty looked like he dived for the penalty and then again for their first goal (with accompanying scream on that one).

To me we do look much better than last season. Having said that, I didn't actually see us last season.

Indeed, and we were two up at half time using that formation. Second half the Thompson sub and the subsequent redeployment of Henderson deeper led to us having zero threat going forward.

We have enough midfielders to mean there is no reason for Henderson to be playing there. Against Posh it did appear that Inman and Henderson were wide of Wilbraham at times first half, leaving the latter isolated and the two of them far less effective than they had been a week earlier.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Striker anyone?! on 16:46 - Aug 14 with 2610 viewsJimmyRustler

Rafferty was definitely fouled for their first goal - it's one of the most blatent pushes in the back I've ever seen
Striker anyone?! on 16:55 - Aug 14 with 2591 views49thseason

We haven't seen Dooley yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Striker anyone?! on 17:04 - Aug 14 with 2581 viewsShun

Definitely slightly different formations, yes. On Saturday I thought we had Wilbraham (still no idea where ‘Alby’ comes from) up front alone, and a midfield 3 of Camps, Inman and Henderson, with Perkins in defensive midfield. As a consequence we controlled possession all game but didn’t look like scoring anywhere near enough. It was one of the most frustrating elements of large parts of last season too - having all the possession and at least appearing to control the play, but not doing enough with it.

I wouldn’t be averse to signing Davies again but I’m reluctant to say he’d solve all our problems. I think we need to actually create the chances before we worry about scoring them. We certainly have the players to do that, and the freedom they were given in the first half at Burton really made us look impressive - I’m all for that approach again.
Striker anyone?! on 19:32 - Aug 14 with 2435 viewsHopwoodblue

Striker anyone?! on 17:04 - Aug 14 by Shun

Definitely slightly different formations, yes. On Saturday I thought we had Wilbraham (still no idea where ‘Alby’ comes from) up front alone, and a midfield 3 of Camps, Inman and Henderson, with Perkins in defensive midfield. As a consequence we controlled possession all game but didn’t look like scoring anywhere near enough. It was one of the most frustrating elements of large parts of last season too - having all the possession and at least appearing to control the play, but not doing enough with it.

I wouldn’t be averse to signing Davies again but I’m reluctant to say he’d solve all our problems. I think we need to actually create the chances before we worry about scoring them. We certainly have the players to do that, and the freedom they were given in the first half at Burton really made us look impressive - I’m all for that approach again.

Think we could have done worse than taken a punt on Dagnall in the summer, would probably be happy to come off the bench and could have offered us a threat in front of goal beyond our starting eleven.
Watching Andrew and Thompson up front at Burton was worse than having tooth ache.
At the moment we are weak up front from the bench unless Dooleys going to offer us something but he may start anyway when fit.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 19:34]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Striker anyone?! on 21:49 - Aug 14 with 2325 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Striker anyone?! on 22:29 - Aug 14 with 2221 views442Dale

Striker anyone?! on 21:49 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

I hope he ends up moving to a coastal town over there, becomes a pillar of the local community and opens a general store.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Striker anyone?! on 01:18 - Aug 15 with 2129 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 22:29 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

I hope he ends up moving to a coastal town over there, becomes a pillar of the local community and opens a general store.

Strewth!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Striker anyone?! on 07:20 - Aug 15 with 2009 viewsaleanddale

Striker anyone?! on 11:15 - Aug 14 by JimmyRustler

We had that type of player with Davies but he just wasn't fit enough. Interestingly enough, his appearance in the stands at Burton made it look like he'd lost a fair bit of weight. What price we re-sign him on a pay as you play deal?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 11:17]

cant see it....

We are moving on as a team. we will only get better as Hendo / Calvin and Alby work each other out.

throw in the mix our midfielders who will come in to there own I am not that worried.

Bring on Fleetwood!!
Striker anyone?! on 07:23 - Aug 15 with 2003 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 07:20 - Aug 15 by aleanddale

cant see it....

We are moving on as a team. we will only get better as Hendo / Calvin and Alby work each other out.

throw in the mix our midfielders who will come in to there own I am not that worried.

Bring on Fleetwood!!

Keith doesn't seem quite so bullish after last night's game. Sounds frustrated. Someone asked if we have been told not to shoot from outside the box. Answer below.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Striker anyone?! on 07:33 - Aug 15 with 1995 viewsfitzochris

Striker anyone?! on 07:20 - Aug 15 by aleanddale

cant see it....

Bring on Fleetwood!!

Hendo/Calvin/Wilbraham don’t need to work each other out, they are playing where and how they are told to.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Striker anyone?! on 07:48 - Aug 15 with 1970 viewsJames1980

Striker anyone?! on 07:23 - Aug 15 by DaleiLama

Keith doesn't seem quite so bullish after last night's game. Sounds frustrated. Someone asked if we have been told not to shoot from outside the box. Answer below.

That is good to know, I was starting to wonder.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Striker anyone?! on 08:58 - Aug 15 with 1872 viewssweetcorn

We surely can’t be considering resigning davies.

The only way this signing would be tolerable would be if he’s spent the summer on slimfast shakes and it’s pay as you play.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Striker anyone?! on 10:01 - Aug 15 with 1777 viewsDale2017

Striker anyone?! on 19:32 - Aug 14 by Hopwoodblue

Think we could have done worse than taken a punt on Dagnall in the summer, would probably be happy to come off the bench and could have offered us a threat in front of goal beyond our starting eleven.
Watching Andrew and Thompson up front at Burton was worse than having tooth ache.
At the moment we are weak up front from the bench unless Dooleys going to offer us something but he may start anyway when fit.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 19:34]

Dagnall is/was definitely not the answer. I don't get what it is with some people wanting us to resign former players all the time.

There is a reason why Dagnall and O'Grady (who quite a few wanted to see return) ended up at Bury and Oldham. They are not what we need and i trust if Hilly thought they were up to doing a job then they would be back at the club already.
Striker anyone?! on 11:01 - Aug 15 with 1707 viewsEllDale

Fair point about Hogan Sweetcorn. How the hell did I forget about him?
Striker anyone?! on 17:03 - Aug 15 with 1538 viewsfunkkk

Crux of the issue for me is that Hilly seems to not like/trust goal poachers. Wasn't ALF in and out of the team when he was here? Yet he went on to make a good first of it at a much higher level. He much prefers playing a 5 goal a season target man and having attacking midfielders contribute the goals. Sadly the midfielders aren't doing this enough for it to be a viable option. They definitely seem to be playing with the brakes on. Pass, pass, pass is the mantra and a fear of shooting from outside the box.

Passing football is fantastic to watch when you're winning but when it's not working there's nothing more frustrating. Would love to see us go back to a fast, direct approach and get a bit of excitement back.
Striker anyone?! on 10:18 - Aug 16 with 1387 viewsDickydaler

Striker anyone?! on 17:03 - Aug 15 by funkkk

Crux of the issue for me is that Hilly seems to not like/trust goal poachers. Wasn't ALF in and out of the team when he was here? Yet he went on to make a good first of it at a much higher level. He much prefers playing a 5 goal a season target man and having attacking midfielders contribute the goals. Sadly the midfielders aren't doing this enough for it to be a viable option. They definitely seem to be playing with the brakes on. Pass, pass, pass is the mantra and a fear of shooting from outside the box.

Passing football is fantastic to watch when you're winning but when it's not working there's nothing more frustrating. Would love to see us go back to a fast, direct approach and get a bit of excitement back.

Although I agree with you to a certain extent, I would like to point out that 3 matches into the season we have won two and scored 5 goals; 4 of those goals have come from midfielders. Maybe that's Hilly's plan.
Striker anyone?! on 10:21 - Aug 16 with 1366 viewsJames1980

What is the line that gets trotted out about the French team in the 1998 World Cup?????

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Striker anyone?! on 11:08 - Aug 16 with 1305 viewsdingdangblue

Striker anyone?! on 10:21 - Aug 16 by James1980

What is the line that gets trotted out about the French team in the 1998 World Cup?????

Je ne sais pas?

Striker anyone?! on 11:29 - Aug 16 with 1270 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 10:21 - Aug 16 by James1980

That they were French?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024