Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup 19:05 - Aug 14 with 12139 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 22:04 - Aug 14 with 2903 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 21:52 - Aug 14 by tony_roch975

Instinctively agree with that but maybe McNulty (yes, more comfortable @ central CB) adds a bit of leadership to a very young back line with MJ which got caught out on Saturday 3 times.

How did Halifax look?... Ive got a soft spot for traditional northern teams like Fax and Stanley, would love to see Halifax town back in league football.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 22:42 - Aug 14 with 2656 viewssandy_dale

Post match interview focused on us not being ruthless infront of goal. Didn’t look impressed at all. Will we get a player in before the end of the loan window? Be worried if we don’t after those comments
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 22:43 - Aug 14 with 2655 viewsJames1980

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 21:26 - Aug 14 by Shun

Agreed. Ollie has to start on Saturday after this. Camps has been near anonymous for almost a year now.

In a recent interview Hilly said he picks the players based on the team being played, but if Ollie isn't picked on Saturday. I am really going to start wondering if players are told not to shoot from outside the area.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 22:55 - Aug 14 with 2649 viewsDaleAddict

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 21:40 - Aug 14 by isitme

To be fair to Jim he is a steady player and did alright last season. He offers good depth to the squad but I would not start him above McGahey, Williams or Delaney.

On paper McNulty might not be individually better than any of those three, but I think we defend better with him in the side. The three goals we conceded in the first half on Saturday all came from collectively soft defending; no one individual to blame but a team weakness. McNulty might not be able to knock a nice pass 50 yards, and he makes some glaring errors that are easy to criticise, but he can defend basic situations. It might be a complete coincidence, McNulty might have nothing to do with it, but when you find that you somehow concede fewer goals with a certain player in your backline then it's worth sticking with him. Purely on the basis that we've won two out of two and only conceded once with him the side I'd start him on Saturday. It might not work, but in August you can afford to find out what works and what doesn't, and we certainly can't afford to defend like we did against Peterborough and ever expect to get away with it.

Blog: A Dale Fan Abroad - Reflections on Burton Albion 1 Rochdale 2

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 23:25 - Aug 14 with 2580 viewsJimmyRustler

I just had a quick look at the Grimsby forum and one of the posts suggests that we looked good but toothless up front. If they can see it...
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 01:17 - Aug 15 with 2445 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 23:25 - Aug 14 by JimmyRustler

I just had a quick look at the Grimsby forum and one of the posts suggests that we looked good but toothless up front. If they can see it...

Some of them also said plenty of complimentary things.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1534282808/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 01:22 - Aug 15 with 2440 viewsJimmyRustler

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 01:17 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Yeah I know - saying we looked good is pretty complimentary in itself
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 03:23 - Aug 15 with 2367 viewsdavidab2202

When your first 2 home games have meant that you have watched 2 defeats and seen your side concede 6 goals(and we may be in the same position come next week)then the opposition may well look useful
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 06:21 - Aug 15 with 2298 viewsColDale

Alan Buckley's grandson was on the bench for Grimsby
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 07:18 - Aug 15 with 2207 viewsaleanddale

Excellent stuff two goals and a clean sheet away from home.

when is the draw for round 2.

Nottingham Forest Away please!
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 09:32 - Aug 15 with 2023 viewsNigeriamark

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 21:33 - Aug 14 by boromat

My only worry is it makes for a lightweight midfield. For me it's Cannon or Camps and Inman or Rathbone. A midfield of Perkins, Rathbone and Inman is lacking physicality and would only work against certain teams.

Great for Rathbone though and the more 'positive' headaches for Hill the better! Be interesting now to see what he does at weekend.

Although Rathbone will get the plaudits for his 2 very good goals, Andy Cannon was also superb last night. Camps would struggle in my opinion to start ahead of either of them if it is based on current form but let's see what Hill does

Still a bit worrying about the possession we are getting but lack of shots or chances created. A few times last night there was a shooting opportunity but a side pass to keep position was the option taken

Pleased with the result and to see some lesser used players get a run last night. Will be interesting to see who did enough to get in on Saturday
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 09:54 - Aug 15 with 1979 viewsColDale

Think thats 8 wins out of 9 against Grimsby now, with Hill in charge for 7 of the wins. Can't remember us doing so well against an individual side that consistently.
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 10:50 - Aug 15 with 1903 viewsDaley_Lama

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 09:54 - Aug 15 by ColDale

Think thats 8 wins out of 9 against Grimsby now, with Hill in charge for 7 of the wins. Can't remember us doing so well against an individual side that consistently.

Think we have a record of W5 D1 L0 agsinst someone else recently, not obsessed enough to look it up though.

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 13:41 - Aug 15 with 1771 viewsShun

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 01:17 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

No.27 gets mentioned as the best player on the pitch and a player who controlled the midfield - is that Cannon?
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 13:51 - Aug 15 with 1746 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 13:41 - Aug 15 by Shun

No.27 gets mentioned as the best player on the pitch and a player who controlled the midfield - is that Cannon?

Yes, he wears 27!

He had an excellent game, but my only criticism would be that he was afraid to shoot when chances opened up for him a number of times on the edge of the area, something the manager has alluded to.

What's the worse that could happen?

I also remember his goal v AFC Wimbledon in March which went in off a wicked deflection.

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 15:53 - Aug 15 with 1636 views1907

My thoughts for what their worth.

Playing 5 at the back away from home works swimmingly.

Playing 5 at the back at home, doesn't.

Its great being able to soak up pressure & hit teams on the counter when we are away from home but I think we need a different tactic whilst at home.

We need to be more offensive with more players in advanced positions, instead of behind the ball.
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 16:12 - Aug 15 with 1588 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 15:53 - Aug 15 by 1907

My thoughts for what their worth.

Playing 5 at the back away from home works swimmingly.

Playing 5 at the back at home, doesn't.

Its great being able to soak up pressure & hit teams on the counter when we are away from home but I think we need a different tactic whilst at home.

We need to be more offensive with more players in advanced positions, instead of behind the ball.

It's an interesting point, but I'd feel inclined to retain the system both home & away, if only to instill consistency and clarity within the squad. Exceptions might be playing a non-league team at home in a cup tie, but even then, there's another point in favour of retaining 532

The system allows just about maximum flexibility in how it's deployed, in that attacking wingbacks should be able to bomb forward more often at home with the back three providing cover. The defensive midfielder should also be free to advance for the same reason, and indeed one of the CBs too should feel confident enough to take the ball well into the opponent's half. We saw MJ do this last Saturday. The key is adaptability, and the players having the footballing intelligence to use the scope within the system to its best advantage. Whatever formation you put out, it's only as good as the players
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 16:30]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 17:31 - Aug 15 with 1506 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 20:13 - Aug 14 by fitzochris

We’re under the cosh a bit at the moment.

Good job we had Cosh Lillis between the sticks!

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 18:40 - Aug 15 with 1437 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 17:31 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Good job we had Cosh Lillis between the sticks!

He was Tosh Lillis when he got caught in possession.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 18:42 - Aug 15 with 1434 viewsjudd

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 18:40 - Aug 15 by fitzochris

He was Tosh Lillis when he got caught in possession.

I did hear someone refer to Nosh but can't for the life of me think why...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 19:14 - Aug 15 with 1393 views100notout

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 18:42 - Aug 15 by judd

I did hear someone refer to Nosh but can't for the life of me think why...

Conrad Logan?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 19:24 - Aug 15 with 1371 viewsdingdangblue

Highlights here for anyone not seen em yet. 2 super finishes from Ollie.

http://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-rochdale/391884

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 19:55 - Aug 15 with 1303 viewsDickydaler

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 13:51 - Aug 15 by TVOS1907

Yes, he wears 27!

He had an excellent game, but my only criticism would be that he was afraid to shoot when chances opened up for him a number of times on the edge of the area, something the manager has alluded to.

What's the worse that could happen?

I also remember his goal v AFC Wimbledon in March which went in off a wicked deflection.

I agree with you, but I wonder if the fact that he had already had two scuffed shots and maybe that put him off shooting.
Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 19:58 - Aug 15 with 1294 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Grimsby, League Cup on 19:55 - Aug 15 by Dickydaler

I agree with you, but I wonder if the fact that he had already had two scuffed shots and maybe that put him off shooting.

Possibly, but it shouldn't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024