Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does MJ Hold the Key 07:12 - Aug 17 with 2524 viewsmidlandsdale

Given we seem to be holding our own defensively in games with Jim in the back 3, would this allow MJ to move into midfield to be more of a creative influence and release Henderson to play up top?
Does MJ Hold the Key on 07:56 - Aug 17 with 2460 views442Dale

While MJW may well end up being an option in midfield, the Henderson situation isn’t linked in my mind. We have more than enough options in that area to not have to consider using him there.

It’s a good shout about McNulty, we’ve been fine defensively with him as the central one in the three.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:14 - Aug 17 with 2435 viewsmidlandsdale

Does MJ Hold the Key on 07:56 - Aug 17 by 442Dale

While MJW may well end up being an option in midfield, the Henderson situation isn’t linked in my mind. We have more than enough options in that area to not have to consider using him there.

It’s a good shout about McNulty, we’ve been fine defensively with him as the central one in the three.

Agree its not specifically linked. Just trying to see why KH persists with Hendo in midfield when we can all see, him included that he is our best finisher. Possibly thinks we dont have enough creativity in the middle. Im sure its worth a punt as Camps is sadly off line and MJ has no problem playing there.
Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:20 - Aug 17 with 2417 views442Dale

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:14 - Aug 17 by midlandsdale

Agree its not specifically linked. Just trying to see why KH persists with Hendo in midfield when we can all see, him included that he is our best finisher. Possibly thinks we dont have enough creativity in the middle. Im sure its worth a punt as Camps is sadly off line and MJ has no problem playing there.

I wouldn’t mind if Henderson plays well there and it’s a case of “he’s a good midfielder as well as a forward and we need him there”. He doesn’t, he isn’t and we don’t.

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:22 - Aug 17 with 2413 viewsfitzochris

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:14 - Aug 17 by midlandsdale

It's probably less to do with creativity and more to do with a work ethic, or a perceived lack thereof, from other individuals.

In my opinion, Henderson playing where he is presently is limiting the team. After Rathbone and Cannon's display on Tuesday, there is little argument for keeping Henderson as far back as he has been.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:51 - Aug 17 with 2343 viewsdingdangblue

I'm not even sure that Keith says specifically to Hendo - "you play upfront or you play in midfield" - I think he just gives him a free reign to drift where he wants during a game (obviously apart from last Saturday late in the game where he was told to play fullback/wingback).
When he drops too deep and stops getting into goalscoring positions this harms us massively though. We all know how good he can finish in and around the box so it seems stupid not to make sure he is in a position to utilise one of his best assets. Even Hendo himself must want to score goals as much as possible? He seems a very bright individual so you would think he'd want to be in the box as much as possible?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:53 - Aug 17 with 2344 viewstony_roch975

He played in m/f last season - concerned his lack of pace would only add to that general weakness in the team at the moment and would seem to be a choice of him or Perkins on current formation.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Does MJ Hold the Key on 09:03 - Aug 17 with 2324 views442Dale

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:51 - Aug 17 by dingdangblue

I'm not even sure that Keith says specifically to Hendo - "you play upfront or you play in midfield" - I think he just gives him a free reign to drift where he wants during a game (obviously apart from last Saturday late in the game where he was told to play fullback/wingback).
When he drops too deep and stops getting into goalscoring positions this harms us massively though. We all know how good he can finish in and around the box so it seems stupid not to make sure he is in a position to utilise one of his best assets. Even Hendo himself must want to score goals as much as possible? He seems a very bright individual so you would think he'd want to be in the box as much as possible?

If that was the case it’s the manager’s job to recognise it and play a player in the best position at any particular time, then get him to move during the game if he’s wandering too much. There’s an argument that Henderson can play wide in a front three or even in a 4-4-2 but he adds very little when central in the middle of the park. Everything slows down when it goes through him in there.

The last bit is what’s strangest, you’d think he’d be making a point of wanting to be up front, there’s surely more to be gained from scoring from ten yards than passing it the same distance to a defender.

Does MJ Hold the Key on 09:42 - Aug 17 with 2263 viewsmacro

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:22 - Aug 17 by fitzochris

It's probably less to do with creativity and more to do with a work ethic, or a perceived lack thereof, from other individuals.

In my opinion, Henderson playing where he is presently is limiting the team. After Rathbone and Cannon's display on Tuesday, there is little argument for keeping Henderson as far back as he has been.

Henderson is our one real poacher - agree with you that he needs to be one of the forward 3 not playing deep
Login to get fewer ads

Does MJ Hold the Key on 10:05 - Aug 17 with 2225 viewsDaleiLama

Does MJ Hold the Key on 08:51 - Aug 17 by dingdangblue

Couple of observations as I sit behind the bench at home games. Keith or Beechy don't seem to be as hands on with what's going on in the final third in terms of barking out instructions, but get very involved with midfield and defence. Olly, Matty, Callum and especially Harrison seem to get most "suggestions". Hendo sometimes comes over, either when called or seemingly of his own volition, to have a quick chat to the bench, no doubt discussing tactics to be implemented.

Not sure if this supports the "free rein" argument or not. I haven't noticed him trying to move Hendo around often from the touchline, but seeing how much KH likes to get involved, either Hendo's following orders to the tee or your theory is correct.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 10:10]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Does MJ Hold the Key on 11:41 - Aug 17 with 2106 viewsDale92

I remember in the Hillcroft reign. Im sure Flicker was responsible for striker drills in training. I remember him going on about at at a fans forum....might be wrong though.

This is the One, I've waited for

Does MJ Hold the Key on 12:54 - Aug 17 with 2032 viewsdingdangblue

Does MJ Hold the Key on 11:41 - Aug 17 by Dale92

I remember in the Hillcroft reign. Im sure Flicker was responsible for striker drills in training. I remember him going on about at at a fans forum....might be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure Tony Ellis is involved with the forwards in training these days.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Does MJ Hold the Key on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 1950 views442Dale

Does MJ Hold the Key on 10:05 - Aug 17 by DaleiLama

Couple of observations as I sit behind the bench at home games. Keith or Beechy don't seem to be as hands on with what's going on in the final third in terms of barking out instructions, but get very involved with midfield and defence. Olly, Matty, Callum and especially Harrison seem to get most "suggestions". Hendo sometimes comes over, either when called or seemingly of his own volition, to have a quick chat to the bench, no doubt discussing tactics to be implemented.

Not sure if this supports the "free rein" argument or not. I haven't noticed him trying to move Hendo around often from the touchline, but seeing how much KH likes to get involved, either Hendo's following orders to the tee or your theory is correct.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 10:10]

On the odd occasion I’ve been near the dugout in the last couple of years, McGahey appears to get very similar advice to which Scott Wiseman received around the turn of the decade.

Does MJ Hold the Key on 17:55 - Aug 17 with 1828 viewsShun

Does MJ Hold the Key on 13:59 - Aug 17 by 442Dale

On the odd occasion I’ve been near the dugout in the last couple of years, McGahey appears to get very similar advice to which Scott Wiseman received around the turn of the decade.

What kind of advice was that?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024