Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy McIlroy 00:29 - Aug 21 with 2024 viewsDiddyDave

Just seen on the BBC pages that he`s passed away,aged 86. Any of you old timers ever see Jimmy play for Burnley and Stoke City? A truly great player,saw him many times at Turf Moor when Harry Potts was the manager,the Clarets having a top side,late fifties,early sixties. He still lived in Burnley,the club was the love of his life.
Jimmy McIlroy on 06:41 - Aug 21 with 1974 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

In the same forward line was Jimmy Robson (former Dale youth team Coach).
Jimmy McIlroy on 07:41 - Aug 21 with 1942 views442Dale

Jimmy McIlroy on 06:41 - Aug 21 by Albert_Whitehurst

In the same forward line was Jimmy Robson (former Dale youth team Coach).

Robson was talking about him on SSN yesterday.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Jimmy McIlroy on 07:50 - Aug 21 with 1928 viewsEllDale

My dad took me to Turf Moor a few times to watch that team. One game that particularly springs to mind is a European Cup game versus Rheims.
Brilliant atmosphere that night.
They had some great players in those days, people like Jimmy Adamson and forwards John Connelly and Ray Pointer.
McIlroy was the man who pulled the strings, made it all tick though.
RIP
Jimmy McIlroy on 08:24 - Aug 21 with 1912 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah I saw him play on several occasions. Very skilful playmaker in that Burnley team. I remember reading " Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly " and seeing a list of players for the season that had scored 15 goals or more.
All five Burnley forwards were on the list !
John Connelly, Jimmy Robson, Ray Pointer, Jimmy McIlroy, Gordon Harris.
Today if you get one forward scoring more than 15 goals you think you're doing great .
I think he later played for Oldham, he certainly managed them.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 8:27]
Jimmy McIlroy on 08:32 - Aug 21 with 1904 viewsEllDale

Yes, I think he managed them when a young bloke called Ken Bates took over Latics and started making a lot of noise.

I seem to recall a young Andy Lochhead playing for Burnley around that time as well.
Jimmy McIlroy on 09:36 - Aug 21 with 1864 viewspioneer

Jimmy McIlroy on 08:32 - Aug 21 by EllDale

Yes, I think he managed them when a young bloke called Ken Bates took over Latics and started making a lot of noise.

I seem to recall a young Andy Lochhead playing for Burnley around that time as well.

He was player manager at Oldham and had them high up in the third division before things went a bit sour and they ended up passing us on their way down. Mcilroy was already gone by then though.
Jimmy McIlroy on 10:25 - Aug 21 with 1813 viewsDiddyDave

From memory,Jimmy somehow got on the wrong side of chairman Bob Lord and was shown the door. Many Burnley fans refused to go again,Jimmy was a legend at Turf Moor and rightly so,but Burnley`s loss was Stoke City`s gain. I think one or two other players fell foul of Lord,a cantankerous old sod at the best of times,but he pulled all the strings. Burnley`s youth policy was on a par with Man United`s Babes and kept the Clarets up with the top teams for many years eventually making them a lot of money in the transfer market.
Jimmy McIlroy on 12:35 - Aug 21 with 1746 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember reading that the Burnley reserve team coach went up to Newcastle for a Central League match with a full squad. After the game it came back with two players in it. All the others were Geordies who'd stayed up there for the weekend.
Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy McIlroy on 13:10 - Aug 21 with 1721 viewsjohnn

Jimmy McIlroy on 12:35 - Aug 21 by mingthemerciless

I remember reading that the Burnley reserve team coach went up to Newcastle for a Central League match with a full squad. After the game it came back with two players in it. All the others were Geordies who'd stayed up there for the weekend.

Saw him at Rochdale in a testimonial,forget who for,got his and Tommy Youngers autographs.
Jimmy McIlroy on 13:21 - Aug 21 with 1703 viewsEllDale

Am I right in thinking that the scout who directed all these players to Burnley later had a fallout and went to work to for Southampton instead which is how Alan Shearer came to be at The Dell or did I imagine it?
I think that the likes of Len Kinsella and Eddie Cliff might have been some of those Geordie lads.
Jimmy McIlroy on 13:25 - Aug 21 with 1695 viewsD_Alien

Jimmy McIlroy on 13:21 - Aug 21 by EllDale

Am I right in thinking that the scout who directed all these players to Burnley later had a fallout and went to work to for Southampton instead which is how Alan Shearer came to be at The Dell or did I imagine it?
I think that the likes of Len Kinsella and Eddie Cliff might have been some of those Geordie lads.

That rings a bell with me

Len Kinsella - pretty decent midfielder for Dale in the early 70s

Remember being 2-0 down at the Shay at half time in a midweek fixture, Len scoring twice in the second half to finish 2-2

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Jimmy McIlroy on 13:31 - Aug 21 with 1680 viewsEllDale

I also think that players like Allan Hunter and Ronnie Blair ended up at Oldham due to McIlroy's Irish connections.
Jimmy McIlroy on 15:44 - Aug 21 with 1630 views49thseason

1962 cup final in colour!
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 15:45]
Jimmy McIlroy on 15:54 - Aug 21 with 1621 views49thseason

Jimmy McIlroy on 07:50 - Aug 21 by EllDale

My dad took me to Turf Moor a few times to watch that team. One game that particularly springs to mind is a European Cup game versus Rheims.
Brilliant atmosphere that night.
They had some great players in those days, people like Jimmy Adamson and forwards John Connelly and Ray Pointer.
McIlroy was the man who pulled the strings, made it all tick though.
RIP

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024