Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improvement 20:18 - Aug 24 with 3429 viewsrochdaleriddler

So according to keef we have improved from last season, but some people can’t see it. Yep I’m one of those

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Improvement on 20:30 - Aug 24 with 2539 viewsmacro

I didn't expect the 2 stuffings but I expected to lose both. We've got about as many points from the first 4 games as I thought we would. Saying that Walsall are the first club on a similar footing. Tomorrow will be a far truer reflection of where we stand this season.
Improvement on 20:39 - Aug 24 with 2516 viewsfunkkk

Staying in the division on the last day wasn't progress from the previous season as he seems to suggest. While we may have a slightly better squad this season we are yet to see evidence.

Once again he pins the blame on the players and not himself. It's all getting a bit tedious.
Improvement on 20:41 - Aug 24 with 2510 viewsdingdangblue

Yes he's right: 4 points from 2 away games! It took us 7 away games to get 4 points last season. Beat Walsall tomorrow which we are more than capable of doing and it's been a good start looking at who we've played.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Improvement on 20:47 - Aug 24 with 2502 viewsJames1980

I really think what is happening is this. In training things are generally going to plan. Passing accuracy, players taking shots, getting in correct positions etc etc. But for some reason when they go on the pitch especially at home, things don't go quite to plan.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Improvement on 20:49 - Aug 24 with 2492 viewsShun

It’s difficult to say after 4 games but I feel the squad is in a better place now than this time last season. I’m not too worried that we’ll be in another relegation fight, but I also don’t expect us to be challenging the top 6 either.

We played very well for the majority of the Fleetwood match, played pretty well against Peterborough but were undone by some naïve defending and outstanding Posh counterattacks, and we were pretty poor at Fleetwood but the fight and tenacity was there to earn a point. I didn’t see Grimsby or Barnsley so can’t comment, but from the state of things currently I’d say we’re in a better position than last season - slightly.

Something Hill won’t allude to though but shouldn’t be ignored is the state of the club off the pitch. This time last season we’d just come off the back of the season ticket offer (which can be described as polarising at best), tannoygate, and a director telling fans not to bother turning up. Although we’ve now just had the disappointment of Russ’ resignation I don’t get the feeling I did last season where I almost feel a resentment from the club for its fanbase and I’m no longer just waiting for the next debacle.
Improvement on 21:05 - Aug 24 with 2460 viewsrochdaleriddler

Improvement on 20:30 - Aug 24 by macro

I didn't expect the 2 stuffings but I expected to lose both. We've got about as many points from the first 4 games as I thought we would. Saying that Walsall are the first club on a similar footing. Tomorrow will be a far truer reflection of where we stand this season.

Yep I agree with that

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Improvement on 21:07 - Aug 24 with 2455 viewsrochdaleriddler

Improvement on 20:49 - Aug 24 by Shun

It’s difficult to say after 4 games but I feel the squad is in a better place now than this time last season. I’m not too worried that we’ll be in another relegation fight, but I also don’t expect us to be challenging the top 6 either.

We played very well for the majority of the Fleetwood match, played pretty well against Peterborough but were undone by some naïve defending and outstanding Posh counterattacks, and we were pretty poor at Fleetwood but the fight and tenacity was there to earn a point. I didn’t see Grimsby or Barnsley so can’t comment, but from the state of things currently I’d say we’re in a better position than last season - slightly.

Something Hill won’t allude to though but shouldn’t be ignored is the state of the club off the pitch. This time last season we’d just come off the back of the season ticket offer (which can be described as polarising at best), tannoygate, and a director telling fans not to bother turning up. Although we’ve now just had the disappointment of Russ’ resignation I don’t get the feeling I did last season where I almost feel a resentment from the club for its fanbase and I’m no longer just waiting for the next debacle.

Apart from hill slagging off the fans as usual

Improvement on 21:17 - Aug 24 with 2428 viewspioneer

Improvement on 20:30 - Aug 24 by macro

Similar footing? I expect someone will be on here soon telling you that Walsall have a bigger budget than us...so not unreasonable to expect another thrashing, and we all know who.

I think we should erect signs outside the turnstiles warning fans before they enter that the opposition have a bigger budget than us so dont have any expectation of winning. We could cover the signs up when we play Accrington.
Login to get fewer ads

Improvement on 21:46 - Aug 24 with 2344 viewsTVOS1907

Improvement on 21:17 - Aug 24 by pioneer

Similar footing? I expect someone will be on here soon telling you that Walsall have a bigger budget than us...so not unreasonable to expect another thrashing, and we all know who.

I think we should erect signs outside the turnstiles warning fans before they enter that the opposition have a bigger budget than us so dont have any expectation of winning. We could cover the signs up when we play Accrington.

Now you're quoting out of context and you know that perfectly well.

Scunthorpe reached the play-offs last season; they have given out long contracts (relatively speaking) to established lower league/former Championship players in recent years (Dawson, Gilks, McArdle, Madden, Lund, Novak, Perch...) and have been regular challengers for the play-offs in those years. Of course they have a much bigger budget and much better financial input than us; it's obvious.

My comment about their budget on the other thread was in direct response to YD's insinuation about Scunthorpe having had no worse start than us.

No, they haven't, but 'they've sacked their manager' was where that one was going.

Walsall are a very similar club to us and have established themselves in League One for about 11 seasons, something we should aspire to.

They have developed a lot of their own players and signed many broken toys and players from non-league.

I have no idea what their budget is like in comparison to ours, but it's clear from their dealings that it is significantly different to a club like Scunthorpe's and not too dissimilar to ours.

That doesn't mean we can't and aren't be able to compete with either of those clubs; we've shown over the years we are more than capable of doing that - as well as with much bigger clubs - and hopefully we will continue to do it this season.

But if someone makes a comment about another club that's deliberately intended to disparage an aspect our own, then in my view it should be challenged.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2018 22:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Improvement on 23:03 - Aug 24 with 2235 viewsShun

I’m not doubting Scunthorpe’s budget, but where does it all come from? Their crowds are only slightly larger than ours and have been for a while. Do they have a rich backer?
Improvement on 23:08 - Aug 24 with 2221 viewsTVOS1907

Improvement on 23:03 - Aug 24 by Shun

I’m not doubting Scunthorpe’s budget, but where does it all come from? Their crowds are only slightly larger than ours and have been for a while. Do they have a rich backer?

I think so. Not sure of the ins and outs of it all, but there are some money men behind the scenes.

That explains why they have pulled the trigger on Daws so early, I suppose.

Improvement on 23:25 - Aug 24 with 2194 viewsdingdangblue

Improvement on 23:08 - Aug 24 by TVOS1907

I think so. Not sure of the ins and outs of it all, but there are some money men behind the scenes.

That explains why they have pulled the trigger on Daws so early, I suppose.

Didn't they sack Alexander last season after we drew with them? Think they were 5th at the time. They were on a bad run of form but that could easily have turned around. They certainly don't seem to have much patience and aren't afraid to pull the trigger.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Improvement on 23:38 - Aug 24 with 2170 viewsTVOS1907

Improvement on 23:25 - Aug 24 by dingdangblue

Didn't they sack Alexander last season after we drew with them? Think they were 5th at the time. They were on a bad run of form but that could easily have turned around. They certainly don't seem to have much patience and aren't afraid to pull the trigger.

Good call.

We listened to their local radio on the way home that day and he got a real grilling from the reporter. It certainly wasn't anything like the sycophantic nonsense on Matey FM.

To be fair to Alexander, he handled it very well and gave some excellent answers, even though it was clear some questions were irritating him.

He was sacked two hours later!

Improvement on 09:13 - Aug 25 with 1987 viewsAncoats_Blue

Too early to say if we’ve improved or regressed. I’d rather take stock after 10 games.
I think our start, on paper, has been tougher this season. We’ve played Posh & Barnsley who are 2 of the title favourites and that showed. Fleetwood look like they’ll have a good crack at the play offs and Burton were narrowly relegated, despite their crap start I actually think they’ll come good.

Last season, before a ball was kicked, I thought we had a fairly gentle start to the season . Newly promoted Pompey, Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury (I don’t think anyone expected them to do so well) and Bury who we almost always beat.

Last season the main issue seemed to be taking the lead and not controlling or killing a game off. We lost way too many points from a winning position - especially against “beatable” opposition (Bradford being a prime example) If we improve on that we should be far more comfortable than last season. I don’t think we’ll have an easy ride but I’m hoping and not expecting 12 points adrift again.
Improvement on 09:58 - Aug 25 with 1898 viewsaleanddale

too early FFS.....

10 games in - then we can assess - debate.

bring on the saddlers today.
Improvement on 10:05 - Aug 25 with 1880 views442Dale

Improvement on 09:58 - Aug 25 by aleanddale

too early FFS.....

We can assess and debate now, mainly because the manager is making similar mistakes to last season. We have an improved squad, it isn’t being utilised as effectively as it could be.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Improvement on 10:14 - Aug 25 with 1860 viewsfitzochris

too early FFS.....

Not too early to assess anything - especially those who have seen every game to date. Assessments, like performances, can evolve.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Improvement on 10:29 - Aug 25 with 1832 views1997Dale

Doesn't seem too long ago that this message board was saying how things had turned around this season and we wouldn't have held onto the win at Burton last year, fast forward two losses against strong promotion contenders and we're suddenly doomed again.

Personally think it's a bit of an over reaction and as many have said 10 games will be a better time to make some form of assessment
Improvement on 10:31 - Aug 25 with 1825 viewsrochdaleriddler

Improvement on 10:05 - Aug 25 by 442Dale

We can assess and debate now, mainly because the manager is making similar mistakes to last season. We have an improved squad, it isn’t being utilised as effectively as it could be.

Last season people kept saying ‘oh we are only 10% of the season gone’ and only 25% gone etc as the points kept slipping away. I hope this season is different, home games have become something to endure

Improvement on 10:39 - Aug 25 with 1797 views442Dale

Improvement on 10:29 - Aug 25 by 1997Dale

Doesn't seem too long ago that this message board was saying how things had turned around this season and we wouldn't have held onto the win at Burton last year, fast forward two losses against strong promotion contenders and we're suddenly doomed again.

Personally think it's a bit of an over reaction and as many have said 10 games will be a better time to make some form of assessment

The losses aren’t a problem for me, it’s repeating the same mistakes with selection and tactics that have been a concern. Good point about the Burton game, that illustrates the improvement as does getting a point at Fleetwood when we didn’t play well.

Four points from the games we’ve had isn’t a bad return, it’s the unnecessary situations around the choices that are made that we need to eradicate going forward.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Improvement on 10:43 - Aug 25 with 1785 viewsTVOS1907

too early FFS.....

Football fans have assessed and debated after any number of games since the year dot!

It doesn't matter whether it's one game, four games or 46 games - each time the assessing and debating is natural and will happen.

Let's hope those can influence the output are doing the same assessing and debating.

Improvement on 10:59 - Aug 25 with 1767 viewsaleanddale

Improvement on 10:43 - Aug 25 by TVOS1907

Football fans have assessed and debated after any number of games since the year dot!

It doesn't matter whether it's one game, four games or 46 games - each time the assessing and debating is natural and will happen.

Let's hope those can influence the output are doing the same assessing and debating.

assessing and debating a match or an incident fair enough.

drawing a conclusion on where we are at or how / where we will finish is way to early in my book. especially as we have played 2 tough away games ( 4 points ) and played two superb looking sides in Posh and Barnsley.

Up the Dale - Win today and everything will look / feel a lot better.
Improvement on 11:04 - Aug 25 with 1757 viewsTVOS1907

Improvement on 10:59 - Aug 25 by aleanddale

assessing and debating a match or an incident fair enough.

drawing a conclusion on where we are at or how / where we will finish is way to early in my book. especially as we have played 2 tough away games ( 4 points ) and played two superb looking sides in Posh and Barnsley.

Up the Dale - Win today and everything will look / feel a lot better.

I wouldn't disagree, although I don't think most sage posters have come up with any conclusions as to where we will finish yet. They can only comment on what they've seen so far.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2018 11:07]

Improvement on 11:35 - Aug 25 with 1708 viewsdawlishdale

Much of this weeks focus has been amplified several times over by Hills outrageous comments in the post match comments. I have listened to the interview in full, and am appalled by the way he was allowed to rant on. That sort of thing should be kept private.

The vast majority of supporters are excited about the new season, and look forward to the games...we can see the difference in class between us and the Barnsley's of this division, and can accept it. a very small minority can't understand it, and a few more were frustrated by the gulf in class last Tuesday, choosing to voice their opinions once or twice.It's not as if there was a constant bad atmosphere,...just a few people voicing their opinions on two occasions. One of those could and should have been handled much better at the time...If Lillis was injured, he should have gone down and allowed the sub to be made before Barnsley took a free kick from just outside the area. If that had happened, one of the two incidents would never have happened. The other, the sarcastic cheering when McGahey was taken off free kick duties, was entirely understandable, if not good for Harrison's morale. Hardly the stuff to go overboard about though !!

Hill needs to stop slagging off the entire fanbase and concentrate on his job. He should have been told about this by the Chairman and the Directors to whom he keeps referring in the interview. I sense that they are scared to death of him.

Today will no doubt be another tough game, as will most during the season. Unfortunately, the focus will partly now be on the way Hill reacts to any hint of criticism rather than on supporting the lads on the pitch. He's brought it on himself again, and it's exactly why he is managing Rochdale and not a much bigger club.
Improvement on 12:16 - Aug 25 with 1638 viewsbrownale

Improvement on 20:47 - Aug 24 by James1980

I really think what is happening is this. In training things are generally going to plan. Passing accuracy, players taking shots, getting in correct positions etc etc. But for some reason when they go on the pitch especially at home, things don't go quite to plan.

That's probably because the opposition aren't playing to our plan but their own.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024